Fix for bricked nooks from CM7 "formatted sd"

Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
for this fix, you will need to have a CWM sdcard ready and waiting followed by and drivers properly installed for your tablet.

YOU MUST have CWM running from sdcard to fix this issue. Otherwise nothing will happen.
instructions to install to sdcard are here (I suggest using windows)

Needed files for download:
just download this zip and run the script while booted into cwm from sdcard.
download it here.

Instructions: Boot from sd (don't worry, it will work), ensure sdcard is mounted, and then you just run the fix.bat from the computer after extracting.

Credits: Succulent for the xloader image
Fattire for the idea that it might have formatted mmcblk0p1 (which it dead instead of mmc1)

Last edited:

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
You're welcome.

Might want to add that the cause of the "brick" appears to be that CM7 is confusing mmc1 and mmc0 and instead of wiping the first partition of the SD card, it's presumably wiping the first partition of the emmc, which contains the x-loader.

Last edited:

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
You're welcome.

Might want to add that the cause of the "brick" appears to be that CM7 is confusing mmc1 and mmc0 and instead of wiping the first partition of the SD card, it's presumably wiping the first partition of the emmc, which contains the x-loader.

Bowing head in shame here...... Rookie mistake!

Looks like we have to make a bit of a tweak to the system then do some testing.

Fatos

Nov 5, 2011
Need help

Hi Indirect. I see that you have fixed your NT. I did not use sd i did install cm7 internally but i did format all the mounts . And now it just restarts in CWM. What should i do. Any idea please

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish
Well guys, I'm still having problems. I ran the brick fix before you updated it - didn't work. I then re-ran after you updated it - still didn't work. It'll boot to CWM from SD, but won't boot to any ROM. Tried re-installing CM7 (didn't work), then I tried the Nook141root.zip which supposedly installs the BN 1.4.1 from CWM (also didn't work). Tried re-running the brick fix a handful of times after and before installing each ROM with no luck. Then I tried running it without installing a ROM. Tried the brick fix then I tried the BN 1.4.0 restore file. I tried on multiple freshly formatted SD cards and I even tried on a computer I was working on with a fresh install of Win7 with a fresh install of the drivers just to rule that out.

Before all this I had CWM and CM7 installed internally - if that makes a difference. Ideas?

Edit: More info. When trying to wipe data/factory reset in CWM I get the errror "E:format_volume: make_ext4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p2"...this occurs right after rebooting from the brick fix.

Edit 2: More info yet...in the brick fix I'm getting the text "error: device not found" twice right after entering "y" then again a handful of times later. Is there anything special I have to do in CWM to get it to detect it? I have sdcard mounted...

Last edited:

Fatos

Nov 5, 2011
Im geting this and then my nt restarts by itself and then im back in cwm again so nothing is fixed.

Attachments

• nook.jpg
    nook.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 435

Fatos

Nov 5, 2011
What do you have mounted to get it the fix to detect the tablet? Does it matter?

Actually with mine it does not matter . I get till the step y or n without mounting nothing. Than i mount the sd card and press y and enter.
Than as u can see does try to write something and than my nook does reboot .
And the ending is the same. So no progress so far.

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Actually with mine it does not matter . I get till the step y or n without mounting nothing. Than i mount the sd card and press y and enter.
Than as u can see does try to write something and than my nook does reboot .
And the ending is the same. So no progress so far.

Were you running from internal or SD when it bricked?

Does it boot to CWM on it's own without an sd in the slot? If it does have you tried restoring/flashing a backup?

Reason I say about the backup is I just bricked my own systems on purpose when running from sdcard, it kept gpoing back to CWM after the xloader was returned to it. Restored an original backup and all is well again :)

Fatos

Nov 5, 2011
Were you running from internal or SD when it bricked?

Does it boot to CWM on it's own without an sd in the slot? If it does have you tried restoring/flashing a backup?

Reason I say about the backup is I just bricked my own systems on purpose when running from sdcard, it kept gpoing back to CWM after the xloader was returned to it. Restored an original backup and all is well again :)

Yes i have had it internally.Not in an sd.

Yes mine doew boot to CWM on its own without and sd in slot. And yes i have tried restoring to re flash back up. Cause i have installed CM7 once and it did run well. But than after installing some programs became slow so i wanted to redo it again. And than i did format all: bootdata, cache, emmc, rom, system,sd-ext.
And then i installet cm7 again and all the installing went well againg . But it just want start cause is missing something in one of the mounts. So what i think is only needed if ill be able to restore the data that is in all those small partitions like emmc. I know that bootdata,and cached gets backed up but i dont know if the orthers are backed up or not.

Thanks for trying to help.

Edit: I have to go to university now. But if it would make it easier for you to help, I can shot a video afterwards with all the steps what i have done and how is my nook behaving now.Just let me know .

Edit1: I did try to restore to stock or update to 1.4.1 but it tells me MD5 mismatch.
Is it possible that i can push in with adb the files that are in the boot data, eMMc and other mounts i mean one by one.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeuser846

joelee100

May 8, 2010
Yes i have had it internally.Not in an sd.

Yes mine doew boot to CWM on its own without and sd in slot. And yes i have tried restoring to re flash back up. Cause i have installed CM7 once and it did run well. But than after installing some programs became slow so i wanted to redo it again. And than i did format all: bootdata, cache, emmc, rom, system,sd-ext.
And then i installet cm7 again and all the installing went well againg . But it just want start cause is missing something in one of the mounts. So what i think is only needed if ill be able to restore the data that is in all those small partitions like emmc. I know that bootdata,and cached gets backed up but i dont know if the orthers are backed up or not.

Thanks for trying to help.

Edit: I have to go to university now. But if it would make it easier for you to help, I can shot a video afterwards with all the steps what i have done and how is my nook behaving now.Just let me know .

Edit1: I did try to restore to stock or update to 1.4.1 but it tells me MD5 mismatch.
Is it possible that i can push in with adb the files that are in the boot data, eMMc and other mounts i mean one by one.

I'm in the same boat...I think when we did a format of the rom partition, we lost some data that was not backed up...That being said I have done a lot of reading and I think all hope is not lost.

We did not format the "factory" partition which from what I have been reading may contain a backup of the "rom" and other partitions.

I wonder if it is possible to pull the data from the factory partition, extract the data that we need and then push the appropriate files back to where they belong? It's way beyond my expertise, although I do have ADB working and I think if someone could point us in the right direction, it wouldn't be that difficult...I could be completely off base though...Good Luck and If I make any progress I'll make sure I pass the info along.

Last edited:

ElectroMike

Oct 6, 2005
Need help!

I got the bloody ADB issue.... :( I was able to boot to CWM from SD card, and it's mounted. BUT! Adb devices gives me nothing, no device. I did all the troubleshooting of the driver, i got the "Android composite ADB interface" device but still no adb device appearing. Please help! My only idea if this fix can be incorporated into a flashable zip. May be there is some other way?

Thanks.

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish
I got the bloody ADB issue.... :( I was able to boot to CWM from SD card, and it's mounted. BUT! Adb devices gives me nothing, no device. I did all the troubleshooting of the driver, i got the "Android composite ADB interface" device but still no adb device appearing. Please help! My only idea if this fix can be incorporated into a flashable zip. May be there is some other way?

Thanks.

That's exactly what I've got. I'm going to spend a little time on fixing that up today. ADB just won't work through CWM for me.

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011

Thanks.

I had thought about a flashable zip. I will look shortly and build one :)

scsione889

Aug 27, 2010
Chicago-ish
I tried repartitioning my nook and it really bricked it now. It won't boot from SD. Tried a different card and fresh download of CWM. I think it's totally borked.

Edit for clarification: repartitioned from within CWM on SD

Edit2: Tried a 3rd card (first 2 were 32gb, 3rd was 16gb) and it let me back into CWM. ADB still isn't working though.

Edit2 clarification: I only say ADB isn't working because the brick fix says device not found. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Fatos

Nov 5, 2011
I tried repartitioning my nook and it really bricked it now. It won't boot from SD. Tried a different card and fresh download of CWM. I think it's totally borked.

Edit for clarification: repartitioned from within CWM on SD

Edit2: Tried a 3rd card (first 2 were 32gb, 3rd was 16gb) and it let me back into CWM. ADB still isn't working though.

Edit2 clarification: I only say ADB isn't working because the brick fix says device not found. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

Mne does not say that but it restarts my nook. But it does not fix it. I think its just some small starting files missing. But im not so good so i cant help it. So im just sitting and watching around internet if there is any fix. It looks that they have had the same problem with NC to start with to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for this fix, you will need to have a CWM sdcard ready and waiting followed by and drivers properly installed for your tablet.

YOU MUST have CWM running from sdcard to fix this issue. Otherwise nothing will happen.
    instructions to install to sdcard are here (I suggest using windows)

Needed files for download:
    just download this zip and run the script while booted into cwm from sdcard.
    download it here.

Instructions: Boot from sd (don't worry, it will work), ensure sdcard is mounted, and then you just run the fix.bat from the computer after extracting.

Credits: Succulent for the xloader image
    Fattire for the idea that it might have formatted mmcblk0p1 (which it dead instead of mmc1)
    You're welcome.

I don't understand why Celtic won't post here the link to the flashable zip which he created. Anyhow here it is http://goo.gl/YCfuo

Mainly cos I didn't think it right to post on xIndirects thread with an alternative. He was good enough to step in and create a fix for people so I didn't want to step on his toes :)
    New download link due to a small scripting error.

Thanks.

I had thought about a flashable zip. I will look shortly and build one :)