Howto: Change keyboard layout

Search This thread

citifone

Aug 25, 2005
works great!!! thanks..using ce register edit is the easiest way but when unlocking registry make sure to look at the phone screen and press on yes ..otherwise it will not finish unlocking..thanks once again for the great and usefull thread

Last edited:

soskic

Apr 7, 2009
Belgrade
No Accents

As I had troubles with just changing the language parameter I finally took some time to dig into a french ROM and extract all I could on the French AZERTY Keyboard Layout. I've tested it and miracle, everything works! From Fn key to Symbol Key & Accents !

Matt

Thanks, I did all (almoust all :) acording to yours French AZERTY Keyboard Layout, but for German Layout. It works OK, accept for Accents !, but I need letters with accents. Funcnion & symbols are working

Do you know, Where in the Registry are accents defined and what is the value for turning accents ON?

Btw, is there a way to make somting like Ctrl-C (copy) and Ctrl-V (paste)
Can anyone gimme a hint? Thanks

DagK

Sep 8, 2009
Change Xperia keyboard language - brilliant and simple solution!

This is how you change your hardware keyboard layout, if for example you've flashed your X1 with another language, and your keyboard layout is messed up. I flashed my Swedish X1 with a UK rom, and I'm now using the Swedish keyboard with this registry change.

Change the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD\CurLang
to whatever you want your layout to be. The default is CurLang=409 (hex).

English - 409 (tested - works)
Finnish - 40b (tested - works)
Swedish - 41d (tested - works)
German - 407 (tested - works)
Italian - 410 (tested - works)
French - 40c (tested - works)
full list of codes

Make sure to edit the value in hex!

Program to edit the registry in Windows via ActiveSync: CeRegEditor
Program to edit the registry with the phone: Total Commander

Note: This doesn't change the on-screen keyboard

Instructions for French layout later in the thread.

Brilliant solution. I almost wanted to replace this excellent phone, but your tip and fast editing in HEX directly through Resco FileExplorer worked after soft reset.
Thanks!

Sep 7, 2008
Bucharest
Fn key issue

ok so i just my xperia and i flashed but i dont know what the default code was or where my x1 came from how would i be able to find out because none of my numbers on the keyboard work

Did you find a solution to your problem? I searched the forums and unfortunately I found no resolution for this. I started to think to a potential HW issue :((...

LFS1993

Oct 13, 2009
Munich
Cheers!
New to the X1-thing and testing around with flashing ROMs, tweaking and other stuff...
The keyboard change to german layout (QWERTZ) works FANTASTIC, thank you very much!!!

Zormal

Oct 10, 2008
Thank you all for your help, feedback and praise :)
I'm always happy to see that someone benefited from the information posted here.

jojjem

Sep 26, 2009
Detailed instructions?

Could someone give a little more detailed instruction on changing keyboard? Have downloaded Total Commander, but can´t seem to find how to change the registry key. I know my language code, but can´t really understand where I can find and change "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD\CurLan g" on the X1.

Thx!

marwes

Jun 15, 2009
Stockholm
Could someone give a little more detailed instruction on changing keyboard? Have downloaded Total Commander, but can´t seem to find how to change the registry key. I know my language code, but can´t really understand where I can find and change "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\KEYBD\CurLan g" on the X1.

Thx!

Hi!

Start Total Commander. In the top of the folder list you should see a folder named "\\Plugins". Open this folder and then go on and open "registry" => HKLM => HARDWARE => DEVICEMAP => KEYBD => CurLang. Now you should see the current value of "CurLan". Click the "Hex" Radio Button and then change the value so it correspond to your keyboard, in my case "41D". Finally press OK and then soft reset your phone.

Regards

Marcus

Leddy

Feb 9, 2006
Melbourne
Korean keyboard support requires a little more work.

I've cabbed it up:

Download

Several things of note:
-You need to install DioPen first, it provides some files that you need for IME support (you don't actually NEED their software IME). They have a trial, you can install it then disable everything in SKTools. (http://www.diotek.co.kr)
-Normally the Korean code page (0412) mandates the reverse solidus ("\") is displayed as a won sign. I personally don't like this (ugly file paths) and it displays as a normal \ in this pack
-Remapped all latin characters in the Korean font back to a nicer looking latin font
-Also includes Chinese and Japanese characters
-Hangeul input only, WM cannot enter Hanja without a third party IME.
-The Hangeul/Latin toggle key is the au key

Last edited:

cylent

Dec 13, 2008
London
ok this is really absurd... there has to be a way to change keyboard layouts between two languages from the keyboard... anybody know how this can done?

Leddy

Feb 9, 2006
Melbourne
ok this is really absurd... there has to be a way to change keyboard layouts between two languages from the keyboard... anybody know how this can done?
You can if this is a feature of the IME.

I.e. most Asian languages which don't use latin characters have a toggle between English and that language (on WWE X1s it is the au button)

There's no way to toggle between two non-English languages, though.