Cant boot to recovery from power off

Search This thread

Essem G

Feb 23, 2014
Columbus
I've been a good root user for a while but something isn't right after i used the Installer to flash CM 11 to my Galaxy S4 T-mo.

While i had stock rom i was able to turn my device completely off and reboot into recovery by pressing and holding in the exact order: Vol Up, Home, then Power. And CWM would pop up.

Now with CyanogenMod installed, i try the same process. It says in blue letters "Recovery Booting..." and then everything on screen disappears. I let go of the buttons and after a few seconds the same screen shows without the "Recovery Booting..." in blue letters and then i see the boot.img for CM and the regular boot works fine.

You should know however that if i hold the power button while I'm in CM and tap "Reboot Recovery" it boots into recovery fine. So basically with any root request it works. But the problem with that is if one day if i get a bootloop i cant flash to recovery and restore a backup.

I also tried flashing TWRP instead of CWM but that did not work, the same problem occured with a different recovery.

If anyone has this problem or better, has a fix please reply

Thanks, Essem G

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
Hold Vol up + Power at the same time (no home button) when you feel the phone vibrate, let go of power button. When the boot screen comes up you can let go of the Volume button

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Essem G

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Hold Vol up + Power at the same time (no home button) when you feel the phone vibrate, let go of power button. When the boot screen comes up you can let go of the Volume button

The sequence they stated is correct..

OP make sure you let go of all the buttons as soon as you see the 'recovery booting' in blue letters

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
Well the home button doesn't need to be pressed. I'm not saying it is the problem but the way the OP says he does it, might be the problem.

Essem G

Feb 23, 2014
Columbus

Thanks! I really didn't think that would solve the problem because I thought it was something deeper but sure enough it worked perfect. This really took some tension off my shoulders. But I'm still not sure why the button sequence changed some people are saying I did it right and I have done it this way before. No matter, problem solved

Thanks, Essem G

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Thanks! I really didn't think that would solve the problem because I thought it was something deeper but sure enough it worked perfect. This really took some tension off my shoulders. But I'm still not sure why the button sequence changed some people are saying I did it right and I have done it this way before. No matter, problem solved

Thanks, Essem G

I know the problem has been solved, but out of curiosity, what gave you the idea of that button combo to enter recovery? I only ask because I've seen other questions involving the home button when trying to enter recovery and none of the guides here haven't mentioned using anything other than power+volume up/down for recovery/download mode respectively.

Essem G

Feb 23, 2014
Columbus
I saw this on galaxys4root.com and it showed a video of that combo working. The very next thing I did was try it myself and it worked. I never knew why or how it changed

Reactions: lordcheeto03

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River

Thanks, Essem G

No problem, bro. I really don't know why people say to do it the way you did lol.

I know the problem has been solved, but out of curiosity, what gave you the idea of that button combo to enter recovery? I only ask because I've seen other questions involving the home button when trying to enter recovery and none of the guides here haven't mentioned using anything other than power+volume up/down for recovery/download mode respectively.

It might have been carried over from the s3. Adding the home button doesn't do anything so in retrospect the s4 doesn't even notice. Power + Vol down will take you to Download mode (just an FYI) :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OP make sure you let go of all the buttons as soon as you see the 'recovery booting' in blue letters

:what: there is no need to hold the home button

:what: there is no need to hold the home button

Well either I was taught wrong or Samsung changed it but that is the way I've been doing it since the s3 and it still works.. That is not the reason its not working

Well the home button doesn't need to be pressed. I'm not saying it is the problem but the way the OP says he does it, might be the problem.