[DIY] SmartAss Cover for your Asus TF101

Search This thread

itony007

Feb 18, 2010
It works on ICS also as a proof i just posted a video on youtube.

search for "Asus Transformer TF101 Magnetic unlock"

awesome if true. two questions:

why did you upload two videos? lol

more importantly it seems like when you touched the screen with the magnet the screen turned on? isn't it suppose to be you pull it away and it turns on?

Reactions: MrNago

MrNago

Apr 4, 2011
Madrid
YEAH! now only works if you haven't lock screen/pattern/password to unlock ;)

change this in options-security

Thanks for the info! Updated OP :)

Only problem now is, it unlocks when the magnet gets CLOSER to the screen, so if you have a magnet on the case, like I do, it unlocks when I close the clase >.<
Be aware before carving and buying!

Mav3ric144

Dec 2, 2010
I just tested it with my Mum's Stock (non ICS yet) and mine running Prime. Both unlock when the magnets gets closer to the screen. How can this be?

Reactions: MrNago

Aguilera_87

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for the info! Updated OP :)

Only problem now is, it unlocks when the magnet gets CLOSER to the screen, so if you have a magnet on the case, like I do, it unlocks when I close the clase >.<
Be aware before carving and buying!

Yesterday i think i see locking the tablet by the magnet too... maybe now lock and unlock the tablet so may you dont need to lock before close the case

Enviado desde mi Transformer TF101 usando Tapatalk

dodge3003

Mar 6, 2011
Derbyshire
Say it ain't so, just bought the magnetic earth magnets from DX which will probably take 6 months for delivery but removing this option will be a turd,

my power button is flaking out, takes atleast two jabs for off/on this magnetic trick would have been a great bypass.
My power button is even worse than yours :-(. I have the case and the dock but don't always want the dock connected, so this is a great idea for me :)

AstroTrain

Apr 13, 2011
My power button is even worse than yours :-(. I have the case and the dock but don't always want the dock connected, so this is a great idea for me :)

I stripped an old hardrive for a strong magnet for the test and unfortunately if the magnet is close to the tablet it turns it on but if you take it away it does not turn it off which is counter our intentions making this option non viable for our issues. Someone posted a fix for the power button issue on XDA but that would mean stripping the tablet, :(

The only way I could turn the tablet off while the magnet is flush with the tablet is to use an app but that of course will not work if your case is closed with the magnet.

It would take a simple script, when the magnet is close turn screen off/stand by, magnet off/ screen on. The reason I see Asus not doing an Apple like smart cover is their greater profit to sell the dock. $150 > than a $70 smart cover.

Reactions: basketman2008

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I was playing with the magnets yesterday with my Revolver build and I was running the magnet all over the screen trying to find the sweet spot. It wasn't turning on when I was placing the magnet. It was just a crappy magnet from a refrigerator alphabet letter.

TODAY (midnight lol) I flashed the OTA ICS build... and went to Walmart and found these really small but strong magnets. I get home to start carving and was smart to try to test it before I dove in.... and it's not working!!!!!

Can anyone running ICS test this? Perhaps it isn't working in the new build.

Attachments

• IMG_20120225_212211.jpg
    IMG_20120225_212211.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

Jark

Nov 29, 2006
Good working solution with ICS

Installed ICS yesterday, Only difference is, now it wakes on open AND on close. No problem, one minute till autoclose is no big deal....

Thanks for solution..

/Jark

Reactions: UWRF

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
Simple question.... if the magnet is on the cover, what happens if you flip the cover all the way around to lie flush with the back. Does the magnet get offset enough not to turn the TF on/off again?

Last edited:

Jark

Nov 29, 2006
No problem with flipping

1. offset is way off
2. magnet never toggle sleep ON

:)
Jark

w04g005

Oct 18, 2006
Munich
ok i tested it also with revolver ics an one small neodym magnet (very strong). it works like some people already said.
-closing the lit doesn't do anything (furthermore you CAN NOT manually shutdown)
-you have to wait until the transformer shuts down because of inactivity
-opening the lit wakes the transformer up
- it only works if you disable any lockscreen

i would like to know where these conditions are defined. i can't understand why it isn't possible to have the same options like in docked mode. maybe we have to ask a rom dev (like gnufabio).

greetings

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
ok i tested it also with revolver ics an one small neodym magnet (very strong). it works like some people already said.
-closing the lit doesn't do anything (furthermore you CAN NOT manually shutdown)
-you have to wait until the transformer shuts down because of inactivity
-opening the lit wakes the transformer up
- it only works if you disable any lockscreen

i would like to know where these conditions are defined. i can't understand why it isn't possible to have the same options like in docked mode. maybe we have to ask a rom dev (like gnufabio).

greetings

Confirmed that ICS requires you to disable the lockscreen for it to work... and that a magnet will TURN THE SCREEN ON.

When the magnet is placed on the screen (simulating a closed lid) the power button stops working to force the screen off. You have to wait for the screen to time out automatically before the power button starts to respond. By default the screen timeout is high, shortening this could help resolve that temporarily.

What worked for me is setting the display time out for 15 seconds. The screen would typically be on when you closed your screen anyway.

So for this to function properly:
Magnet-On needs to = Screen Off (Not Screen On)
Magnet-On shouldn't make the power button stop working

Would also be nice if it worked with a lockscreen, but the magnet action currently equals the unlocker method, so this isn't REQUIRED but would be a nice to have.

These are obviously bugs with the ASUS update as these actions affect the docking station. I suspect they will get fixed relatively quickly by either Asus or an awesome dev.

Last edited:

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Bump this. I got my official Asus flap case going well with this. Sometimes the power button becomes unresponsive once the screen goes off and I have to close>open my case to get it back on.

I'd love to see some development on this with some options. I'm also surprised this is just now is being discovered, I'd love to see some cases built with this setup so I don't have to keep hacking on my case.

I also removed the Velcro which holds the flap closed and sliced into the edge in the middle of the flap to insert a magnet on both sides. It works really well after a few trial and error runs.

EXT LTE Galaxy Nexus - 4.0.4
Asus Transformer - ICS

Paradaz

Dec 28, 2007
It would take a simple script, when the magnet is close turn screen off/stand by, magnet off/ screen on. The reason I see Asus not doing an Apple like smart cover is their greater profit to sell the dock. $150 > than a $70 smart cover.

You've got to be realistic here....I doubt anyone is looking to buy the dock just as an on/off mechanism. Not a flame, just an observation.

I think the dock and potential smart case sales would sell on their own merits and if anything if someone is going to fork out that amount of money just for a smart cover then they're more likely to pay a little extra and buy the dock anyway as they will get much more functionality with it.

Tecnofilo

Feb 2, 2011
New update for ICS but the same problem :mad: if you don´t disable lock screen don´t worl smartass ¡¡¡ aghhhh :mad::(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yup, it's here, and you can do it!
    Hope you enjoy it!

Don't carve your cases/buy any special thin strong magnet until you're sure you have the functionality you want!

Jelly Bean!
    Some users reporting it works great. In my XP, it works perfectly on RaymanFX's JB rom.

-On ICS:
    Some roms:
    Lock+Wake - Same functionality as in iDevices!
    Tested on: Megatron Rom, (derived from CM9)
    May work perfectly on your ICS rom.

On some ICS roms:
    It will work the opposite way.
    Meaning that the device will unlock (wake) when the magnet gets closer to the screen,instead of further away (like Apple's, or other ICS roms)

-Non-ICS roms:
    This only WAKES the device, doesn't unlock it.
    If you want unlock you can set locking method to None in the preferences.
    It does NOT Lock the device on honeycomb roms.
    Tried this with my ROM and it works as it should
    Magnet close to the tab puts it to sleep
    Magnet far from the tab wakes it up and bypasses lockscreen
    Works on ICS also

YEAH! now only works if you haven't lock screen/pattern/password to unlock ;)

change this in options-security
    I am ready to do an incision on my case but can you please explain more of what to expect when I cut the surface and some tips perhaps?
    I want mine to be as nice as possible. My mom brought the case so I don't want to ruin it :p
    Do you have to pull some of the material out before you can insert the magnet?

Yes, you have to make some space in the case in order for the magnet to fit in.
    Anyway, try it yourself first only with the magnet, carefully or covered in some soft tape (or blacktape like in the previous example, 2 posts above) so that you dont damage the screen.

On a sidenote, works great for me on RaymnFX's JellyBean (it's AOSP based)

So glad you guys liked the idea :D