[Q] Nexus 7 Bricked No OS stuck on Google screen

Search This thread

davechampion

Nov 3, 2013
Good Afternoon

The other day I was having an issue with my Nexus 7 so I inadvertently went into TWRP on my device and wiped everything including the OS so when it starts up I just get the Google screen with the unlocked padlock on it.

I have tried several things so far

I have downloaded Nexus root Toolkit 1.7.3 and several stock images, I choose the option to flash stock + Unroot but it doesn't seem to do anything I just get the following screen as per attached screenshot, from looking around it looks like it should run something before I get that screen but nothing happens.

I really don't know where to go from here I have tried so many different things but just don't seem to be getting anywhere, any help would be soooooooo much appreciated, I can’t even send it back as I have unlocked it and I believe that voids the warranty.

I have managed to get into the TWRP section by choosing the custom recovery in the advanced section menu but when it loads up it asks me for a password on my Nexus and the password I had it keeps on saying password failed.

Is there anything I can do, I have literally spent hours searching around and I cant seem to get anything to work, as I say I have inadvertently wiped everything!!!!!!:crying:

D

Deleted member 5525469

Good Afternoon

The other day I was having an issue with my Nexus 7 so I inadvertently went into TWRP on my device and wiped everything including the OS so when it starts up I just get the Google screen with the unlocked padlock on it.

I have tried several things so far

I have downloaded Nexus root Toolkit 1.7.3 and several stock images, I choose the option to flash stock + Unroot but it doesn't seem to do anything I just get the following screen as per attached screenshot, from looking around it looks like it should run something before I get that screen but nothing happens.

I really don't know where to go from here I have tried so many different things but just don't seem to be getting anywhere, any help would be soooooooo much appreciated, I can’t even send it back as I have unlocked it and I believe that voids the warranty.

I have managed to get into the TWRP section by choosing the custom recovery in the advanced section menu but when it loads up it asks me for a password on my Nexus and the password I had it keeps on saying password failed.

Is there anything I can do, I have literally spent hours searching around and I cant seem to get anything to work, as I say I have inadvertently wiped everything!!!!!!:crying:

Try reflashing TWRP first, then reply if you still have the password problem. We can work from there. Remember, you have a N7 - nexus devices are practically unbrickable (if you know what I mean) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

davechampion

Nov 3, 2013
Nexus 7 2013

Thanks for that will give it a try later.

I have also come across the website below

forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-2012-rooting-roms-hacks/191477-guide-nexus-7-factory-image-restore.

It gives a guide on how to reinstall the stock software, the only thing that I can see they have that I dont are a few files and I dont know where you get them from.

the files in the guide are

Bootloader-Grouper 3.34
Flash-all.sh
Flash-Base.sh

The image file I am fine with as I downloaded that from the site below.

developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

sorry I dont have enough privaleges to include link have to paste it manually

davechampion

Nov 3, 2013
Nexus 7 2013

Also in regards to you last comment about TWRP

could you give step by step instructions on how to reinstall it, I am just paranoid that I may do something wrong again, I cant activate usb debugging so would need to do it via the bootlader and Command prompt ideally.

davechampion

Nov 3, 2013
Nexus 7 2013 Re flash TWRP

Not to worry about steps I have managed to find some that will do the job

theunlockr.com/2013/03/25/how-to-install-twrp-recovery-on-the-asus-nexus-7/

D

Deleted member 5525469

Thanks for that will give it a try later.

I have also come across the website below

forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-2012-rooting-roms-hacks/191477-guide-nexus-7-factory-image-restore.

It gives a guide on how to reinstall the stock software, the only thing that I can see they have that I dont are a few files and I dont know where you get them from.

the files in the guide are

Bootloader-Grouper 3.34
Flash-all.sh
Flash-Base.sh

The image file I am fine with as I downloaded that from the site below.

developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

sorry I dont have enough privaleges to include link have to paste it manually

Have you used 7z to unpack the files? Google puts all the files within an archive which is within another archive. In case you aren't able to successfully follow your guide, let me know and I will post steps. And btw, using CMD is actually quite easy once you get used to it... You just need to put in the effort! :good:

D

Deleted member 5525469

[GUIDE] How to install/reinstall/flash stock Nexus 7 Image from Google

I just saw your other thread mate! Seems like you're really worried about your device. And so I thought I'll give you step by step instructions;

1) Install, then open and navigate 7-zip to the location where you have the factory image file downloaded from google with the ".tgz" extension.

2) Unpack the .tgz file by selecting it and clicking extract (with the big blue negative sign).

1zmfnkx.png

fm2czl.png

3) Now, navigate to the extracted folder, you will see another file with the extension ".tar"
4) Repeat step 2 for the ".tar" file.

2n8oo00.png

5) Now open this folder using windows. You should see the following files in your directory;

205qhqc.png

6) From here, you can either follow the instructions on the webpage you have or follow these instruction (using CMD and fastboot);
* Remember, after doing this you will not have any files/setting left on your N7.

1) Boot your N7 into bootloader.
2) Open cmd.exe and enter the following commands;
3) cd "put here without quatation marks, the directory of where the .img files are" (the last pic above)
4) fastboot devices (note: after entering this command your device should be displayed below)
5) fastboot erase boot
6) fastboot erase system
7) fastboot erase recovery

Perform steps 8 & 9 only if you have the 3G version of the N7:

8) fastboot erase radio
9) fastboot flash radio "put here without the quotation marks, the FULL name of a file that will look similar to this: radio-razor-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.84.img"
10) fastboot update -w image-razor-jss15q.zip
11) fastboot reboot

Remember, because you have freshly flashed your N7, it will take little longer than usual to boot up.

Reactions: DanD911Phx

davechampion

Nov 3, 2013
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much you are a LEGEND - I am all up and running again, just a quick question I re flashed the standard stock file which was listed as JSS15J (it wasn’t on the official factory image website) but my Nexus root toolkit seems to be playing ball after a re install, can I flash a later version over what I have without causing issues as I assume they have bug fixes.

I am unable to do an OTA update as I am in an unlocked state.

I have seen online that you can use the following code in CMD to flash newer factory images without wiping data, Is this correct?

here is the code they suggest to use
Code:
fastboot update <Filename>.zip

I suppose you could back up all data first and then re flash.

Again a massive thank you for all you help:victory:

D

Deleted member 5525469

[GUIDE] Reinstall/Update Android without loosing your Userdata (media Directory)

Thank you so much you are a LEGEND - I am all up and running again, just a quick question I re flashed the standard stock file which was listed as JSS15J (it wasn’t on the official factory image website) but my Nexus root toolkit seems to be playing ball after a re install, can I flash a later version over what I have without causing issues as I assume they have bug fixes.

I am unable to do an OTA update as I am in an unlocked state.

I have seen online that you can use the following code in CMD to flash newer factory images without wiping data, Is this correct?

here is the code they suggest to use
Code:
fastboot update <Filename>.zip

I suppose you could back up all data first and then re flash.

Again a massive thank you for all you help:victory:

I'm glad to be of assistance. If you want to update your rom without loosing your data, I recommend you follow these steps (however, there is a catch: read the second last paragraph);

1) Boot into TWRP and wipe everything except "Internal Storage".
Reboot into bootloader and erase the following using CMD:
2) fastboot erase system
3) fastboot erase boot
4) Now unpack the <filename>.zip file. You will find that there are a multitude of <filename>.img files in there.
Flash two of the files named system.img and boot.img (this contains the Kernel) using CMD (remember CMD must be open in the folder containing these files):
2) fastboot flash system system.img
3) fastboot flash boot boot.img
And the other file (again is if you have the mobile version of the N7), is to flash the radio as given in my previous instructions (remember to erase radio first before flashing it).

When you're done, you will have updated your N7 without losing your data (i.e. the files you see when you plug your N7 to the computer). However, following this method, you will not retain any Apps or settings (remember: Backing up apps and restoring them to a different ROM is a BAD idea). I have to say also that given you cannot use OTA, I am not aware of any other method that will keep your apps and settings untouched. I may be wrong, and if I am please do let me know. :good:

Finally as a personal note, I wouldn't flash anything to a Nexus but the latest stock files provided from Google until they stop providing updates to that particular device. :cowboy:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 5525469
    [GUIDE] How to install/reinstall/flash stock Nexus 7 Image from Google

I just saw your other thread mate! Seems like you're really worried about your device. And so I thought I'll give you step by step instructions;

1) Install, then open and navigate 7-zip to the location where you have the factory image file downloaded from google with the ".tgz" extension.

2) Unpack the .tgz file by selecting it and clicking extract (with the big blue negative sign).

1zmfnkx.png

fm2czl.png

3) Now, navigate to the extracted folder, you will see another file with the extension ".tar"
    4) Repeat step 2 for the ".tar" file.

2n8oo00.png

5) Now open this folder using windows. You should see the following files in your directory;

205qhqc.png

6) From here, you can either follow the instructions on the webpage you have or follow these instruction (using CMD and fastboot);
    * Remember, after doing this you will not have any files/setting left on your N7.

1) Boot your N7 into bootloader.
    2) Open cmd.exe and enter the following commands;
    3) cd "put here without quatation marks, the directory of where the .img files are" (the last pic above)
    4) fastboot devices (note: after entering this command your device should be displayed below)
    5) fastboot erase boot
    6) fastboot erase system
    7) fastboot erase recovery

Perform steps 8 & 9 only if you have the 3G version of the N7:

8) fastboot erase radio
    9) fastboot flash radio "put here without the quotation marks, the FULL name of a file that will look similar to this: radio-razor-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.84.img"
    10) fastboot update -w image-razor-jss15q.zip
    11) fastboot reboot

Remember, because you have freshly flashed your N7, it will take little longer than usual to boot up.