Need help - Moto X on Verizon - yes or no?

Search This thread

SahilC

Jun 14, 2012
Amherst
Hey!

So I'm going be getting a phone on Verizon. Do you think (at this point, 10 months old) it's a good idea to go with the Moto X?

How is development for Moto X? I'm not interested in CM or most custom ROMS. Just when Moto stops updating officially, I'd like to have a stock ROM. That's all.

Also, how do you think the SAMOLED screen will manage as Android is getting whiter and lighter than before? I've heard that amoled screens are good with blacks, but there aren't many anymore with Android.

Lastly, are there any issues or differences with the Verizon one? I'm not sure if I should go with a plan, or unlocked!

Thanks,

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
Most people would always recommend the Dev. edition because its already unlocked.. But if ur not doing anything (Roms etc) there's not really a point... I love my x bit as far as the samoled screed goes I don't know..as far as being 10 months old.. Its done well. In my opinion..but regardless how its doing...its interesting t see what other ppl think since lenovo bought moto from google ..

Slapped my Moto

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea
I really like my Moto X. I'm happy I went with it over any other phone last year. For me it has the best features. The Active Display and Touchless controls are fantastic.
I have the Developer Edition and run Moto Stock based ROMs. Eclipse and Krypotnite. All Motorola features work on them plus there's two, going to be three stock kernels soon.
Battery life is great.
With that being said, if you don't need a phone at this time I'd wait to see what's coming. The Moto X+1.

tf442

Sep 11, 2007
Hey!

So I'm going be getting a phone on Verizon. Do you think (at this point, 10 months old) it's a good idea to go with the Moto X?

How is development for Moto X? I'm not interested in CM or most custom ROMS. Just when Moto stops updating officially, I'd like to have a stock ROM. That's all.

Also, how do you think the SAMOLED screen will manage as Android is getting whiter and lighter than before? I've heard that amoled screens are good with blacks, but there aren't many anymore with Android.

Lastly, are there any issues or differences with the Verizon one? I'm not sure if I should go with a plan, or unlocked!

Thanks,

I just ordered 2 Moto X phones from Motorola to use on Verizon. I hope I am happy. There is coupon code that is easy to find. It is good for a couple more days. The 16 gig is $299 and the 32 gig is $324. I am going to go with prepaid. You get unlimited call and text and 500 mg of data for $45 a month when you bring your own phone. It says if you let them deduct the money from your checking you get 1 gig for the $45.You can buy more data.
It works for me.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Hey!

Thanks,
The X is still a nice device.

Going with Verizon, I would only ever consider getting the Developer Edition X for Verizon. Why? Beacause you can unlock the bootloader to root and disable write protection. Unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty. After unlocking the bootloader you can also flash custom or 3rd party roms.

The regular Moto Maker and "retail" Verizon X can not have their bootloaders unlocked (unless the Chinese Middleman can come through for you, which is not as reliable lately and voids your warranty). This means you can't root, can't disable write protection, and can not install anything but the factory roms. So you are STUCK with how your phone is out of the box. If Moto/VZW stop pushing updates for the X you are stuck.

Don't get me wrong, a stock X is a nice device, and will work great. But you mentioned when moto stops officially updating, which implies you want the ability to flash something later (which is only possible with an unlocked bootloader)

I like my X, I've recommended it to friends and family. Its the right size. Snappy. Responsive. The only real draw back is no SD card (I would mostly use for media), and the camera is still a little lacking for me. Light needs to be "just right" to get an awesome picture.

Last edited:

xpsychox

Dec 1, 2011
Marion
I just ordered 2 Moto X phones from Motorola to use on Verizon. I hope I am happy. There is coupon code that is easy to find. It is good for a couple more days. The 16 gig is $299 and the 32 gig is $324. I am going to go with prepaid. You get unlimited call and text and 500 mg of data for $45 a month when you bring your own phone. It says if you let them deduct the money from your checking you get 1 gig for the $45.You can buy more data.
It works for me.

500mb?! I'd blow that in a day...maybe two... But glad to hear ur giving it a try!

Slapped my Moto

ghstudio

Dec 7, 2013
I have a verizon DE phone....the phone works great with liquidsmooth (which uses 4.4.4) instead of the stock ROM. The only outstanding problem for me is that the phone will not link cleanly with my car....it connects and then disconnects and keeps repeating that loop. I've tried every standard ROM and they all have the problem...as does liquidsmooth. Bluetooth, however, works perfectly with my pebble watch. If you are concerned about it linking with your car, go to a verizon store and see if you can link the phone...and if it stays linked.

scoobaspeaz

Feb 24, 2012
Columbus, OH
Moto X is an awesome phone! Then again you asked it in a Moto X forum :)

As for on Verizon, I agree with what others said. If you are looking for OEM dev support than Motorola is exceptional with that and has promised Android 5 on this phone. For that you only need the locked up device. If you are wondering about 3rd party ROM's like CyanogenMod then you need the dev version of the phone.

I personally have my X bootloader unlocked but I find i use the stock Motorola image over custom roms. The only thing I like about having my X unlocked is I installed Xposed framework for extra configuration options. For that you need to be rooted. Its easier to root and to sustain root if your bootloader is unlocked.

Hope this helps.

ntalbert000

Nov 23, 2013
awesome phoen

I agree with scoobaspeaz, I have done the same thing, unlocked the boot-loader and rooted the device, but I stayed on stock rom with xposed. If you know how to use tasker, the possibilities of this phone are endless.

It is incredibly fast and responsive, even after almost a year of using it. I have never wiped the phone and started over and I've only had to actually restart the device a handful of times. I can safely say that I've restarted the device more times to show off a cool no boot animation, than I've restarted it for any other reasons.

Also, as far as getting it before the x+1 comes out.... I say get it and then when you replace it, find a way to utilize the old phone for always listening capabilities in your house. It may take some money and ingenuity, but the things you could do will be amazing.

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
If you want root, buy the developer edition. Otherwise, buy one off MotoMaker.

I have several "upgrades" to burn on my family plan but haven't had any urge to grab one of the flagships on the cheap. The only thing I have ever felt was missing was an external microSD card slot and removable battery, but I bought a 64gb Sandisk Dual-USB OTG memory stick and a Jackery charger. Not as elegant but it works just the same and gives me more options for the future. I always had spare batteries and 32gb SD cards for my previous Android phones, but they became a bit of a hassle with having to power the phone down to change batteries or get access to the SD card (and SIM). My previous phones (Galaxy Nexus and Note 2) didn't have external access to either card.