Tutorial: how to unbrick your phone

Search This thread

ziiljuks

Jan 8, 2010
Bricked my phone after trying out CM7 and then flashing Stock ROM via KDZ_FW_UPD without wiping all data.
Found a way how to fix my problem. This should work for almost all bricked phones.

Remember, this will wipe ALL DATA from your phone. I'm not responsible if something happens with your P970. Do at your own risk.

You will need:
Drivers for P970;
KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
UpTestEX_mod2_marwin
WindowsEnablerv1.1
Download

Start from here if it's first time (no drivers installed, etc):
1) Install all drivers (from Drivers folder);
2) Disable LGE Virtual Modem (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager);
zOtdu.jpg

Start from here if drivers already installed:
3) Run msxml.msi (in KDZ_FW_UPD folder);
4) Delete mfc42.dll (from KDZ_FW_UPD folder);
5) Run WindowsEnabler.exe and set it to ON;
6) Run UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe;
7) Set your phone to S/W Upgrade mode (take out battery, while pressing Volume Up, plug USB cable).

HiBC4.jpg

1) Select KDZ file (download from here);
2) Click "CSE web upgrade test", then "Upgrade Start".

Chose your language and wait till phone reboots. It will take some time and could look like nothing is going on. If you see something similar to this (on your phone) for a moment, everything went OK.

6THYX.jpg

Last edited:

wiqi546

May 28, 2011
maaaaaaaaaaaaan em trying it right now.....let u know as soon as i see some results

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

"YES" it really works!!!

Thanks a billion times man! You saved my life :D

(for everyone else who is trying to follow this TUT...when i was updating it was stuck at 4% and showed a lot of errors in the log below...but i guess that didnt matter and now it works...that screen at the end is really must...and i had to force close the update tool after my phone was working)

radkor

May 9, 2006
Warsaw
I think this is solution for ALL BRICKED P970s that can enter into S/W Upgrade mode!!!
Very important is that this method do HARD RESET after flashing firmware so it could UNBRICK ALL of our phones. :)

Can anyone with bricked phone (not CM7 brick) can test it?

Last edited:

ziiljuks

Jan 8, 2010
I a little bit edited tutorial and, yeah, it could help for all bricked phones. We just need someone who could test it out.

gabwerkz

Aug 16, 2011
Three Stars and a Sun
I linked it at RC's G+ and RootzWiki, in response to those bricking their OB's in regards with CM7. Hope they could give us feedbacks.

Sent from my Optimus Black using xda premium

quyTam

May 26, 2011
cool, finally a method that can do "hard reset" without a running system or a recovery installed !!

LG would have implement the hard reset in his Recovery in the B2CAppSetup ! it would avoid lots of send back to LG customer service !!

Thanks

radkor

May 9, 2006
Warsaw
LG would have implement the hard reset in his Recovery in the B2CAppSetup
No, LG would have implement the recovery key combination... It would be remedy for almost all P970 bricks...
Does anybody knows another phone with Android without hardware key combination for recovery?
Is it even possible that hardware key combination (changing bootloader) will be possible to add-on by official LG firmware update? Maybe they should do this with official 2.3 upgrade, but it is probably only dream...

PS. I forgot to thanx, ziiljuks, you're the man! :)

Last edited:

quyTam

May 26, 2011
yes, recovery combination key would be better ^^

ps: I think x8 doesn't have it either

murrun

Aug 8, 2007
quote from rootzwiki: "adb.exe reboot recovery saved my life!!!!"

i guess we can boot into recovery with this command. i didn't know that adb environment can run with bootloop or volume up screen... can anybody confirm this?

sonic997

Sep 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S7
It seems very good work! But i just bought my phone, i have not fllash my rom yet, since i am afraid that flashing will damage my warranty forever. Could shut body tell
Me whether there is ANY means to recover the warranty........

Sent from my LG-P970 using XDA App

elBartoFlores

Mar 2, 2011
i dont get the "CSE web upgrade test" button in the UpTestEX_mod2_marwin window.
any ideas?

tried normal upgrade but dosnt make the factory reset and keep geting boot loop.

yes another victim of CM/ > Stock

ok found it. in the type has to be in CDMA not 3GQCT

Last edited:
Reactions: jainanshal

glenn_gm

Sep 26, 2011
Sichuan
Hello,man.
There's some problems in using this method.
A guy does the upgrade,and the phone is stuck at 4% too. But unlike the situation u've met, there's not even a error in the log. Then , he has to switch off the USB(means disconnect the phone and the PC. sorry, my English is... - -#). I wanna know how much time does the upgrading process takes. Thanks.
Meanwhile ,there's another guy. He did the same thing .And the phone reboots finally. But what confuses me is that he didn't get the picture on the screen. Could you explain , thanks in my heart!

And thanks ziiljuks very much!

radkor

May 9, 2006
Warsaw
i dont get the "CSE web upgrade test" button in the UpTestEX_mod2_marwin window.
any ideas?

tried normal upgrade but dosnt make the factory reset and keep geting boot loop.

Download THIS package. It has all the files in one folder. Unpack it to C:\ You should get C:\P970_unbrick\*files here*
Install msxml.msi, then run Windows Enabler.exe and click on its icon in the taskbar. Icon will change and will show "ON". Then run UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe and do the rest of the job.

wiqi546

May 28, 2011
Hello,man.
There's some problems in using this method.
A guy does the upgrade,and the phone is stuck at 4% too. But unlike the situation u've met, there's not even a error in the log. Then , he has to switch off the USB(means disconnect the phone and the PC. sorry, my English is... - -#). I wanna know how much time does the upgrading process takes. Thanks.
Meanwhile ,there's another guy. He did the same thing .And the phone reboots finally. But what confuses me is that he didn't get the picture on the screen. Could you explain , thanks in my heart!

And thanks ziiljuks very much!

When i followed this tut my update process was stuck at 4% and actually it "didn't" flash the stock rom...(although it was already flash before my the KDZU tool) this tool simply after giving alot of errors in the log file did a hard reset (that last screen---which actually does the magic by formatting the data partition). After that screen my phone restarted and BINGO i was at the setup wizard! then i closed the tool bcz it was stuck but my phone was working :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bricked my phone after trying out CM7 and then flashing Stock ROM via KDZ_FW_UPD without wiping all data.
    Found a way how to fix my problem. This should work for almost all bricked phones.

Remember, this will wipe ALL DATA from your phone. I'm not responsible if something happens with your P970. Do at your own risk.

You will need:
    Drivers for P970;
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
    UpTestEX_mod2_marwin
    WindowsEnablerv1.1
    Download

Start from here if it's first time (no drivers installed, etc):
    1) Install all drivers (from Drivers folder);
    2) Disable LGE Virtual Modem (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager);
    zOtdu.jpg

Start from here if drivers already installed:
    3) Run msxml.msi (in KDZ_FW_UPD folder);
    4) Delete mfc42.dll (from KDZ_FW_UPD folder);
    5) Run WindowsEnabler.exe and set it to ON;
    6) Run UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe;
    7) Set your phone to S/W Upgrade mode (take out battery, while pressing Volume Up, plug USB cable).

HiBC4.jpg

1) Select KDZ file (download from here);
    2) Click "CSE web upgrade test", then "Upgrade Start".

Chose your language and wait till phone reboots. It will take some time and could look like nothing is going on. If you see something similar to this (on your phone) for a moment, everything went OK.

6THYX.jpg
    i didn't know that adb environment can run with bootloop or volume up screen
    No, it can't. You need to boot to OS and have enabled Debugging to get ADB working.
    I was trying it many times when I bricked my phone. Look HERE.
    any ideas?

When i followed this tut my update process was stuck at 4% and actually it "didn't" flash the stock rom...(although it was already flash before my the KDZU tool) this tool simply after giving alot of errors in the log file did a hard reset (that last screen---which actually does the magic by formatting the data partition). After that screen my phone restarted and BINGO i was at the setup wizard! then i closed the tool bcz it was stuck but my phone was working :D
    These are not errors. Phone is flashing with progress bar stuck at 4%.
    If you take a closer look in log window, there ale lines saying:
    Model Dll Msg Not Found (2004,16)
    V7Qzb.jpg

This numbers after "2004," are percents of flashing. It will raise to about 90
    Model Dll Msg Not Found (2004,17)
    Model Dll Msg Not Found (2004,18)
    Model Dll Msg Not Found (2004,19)
    Model Dll Msg Not Found (2004,20)
    Model Dll Msg Not Found (2004,90)
    and phone will reboot and do Hard Reset.
    I want to add that with this solution you can unlock your device if you forgot your unlock code or pattern. Tested by myself just a moment ago.