Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
[size=+1]Simple wireless charging - Ten Minutes & Under Ten Pounds[/size]

Confirmed working on the:
International Note II GT-N7100

International Note II GT-N7105

AT&T Note II (Confirmed working)

Sprint Note II (has no slots for charging pins, but confirmed working when taking the middle housing cover off and finding the wireless charging contacts underneath)
Have a look at this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33833217&postcount=240

Canadian i317M Note II (Bell Canada)
Confirmed not working on the:
US TMobile Note II SGH-T889 (Has the charging pins for wireless charging)
Please see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1978276

vinas1 has just released some instructions on how you could get the wireless charging mod to work on the Tmobile Note II version.
Check it out here
[size=+1]Please do this mod at your own risk[/size]

[size=+1]Big Thanks to m055 who has posted a video guide on Youtube check it out from here[/size]

I've decided to go ahead and do the mod for the wireless charging as i've seen a few threads tempting me.
What you need is:
  • Palm Touchstone £5.24 (Amazon UK)
  • Palm Pre Touchstone case £3.49 (eBay)
  • Electrical Tape
  • Copper foil tape [thanks rj3005]
  • Solder Iron & Solder
You can also use thin wire to do this mod if you don't have copper tape handy.
This all cost me under £10 excluding the solder iron. You might find it cheaper shopping around.
  1. I first took the induction coil out of the Palm Pre case carefully.
    !!! Its very important that you peel the silver sticker off carefully and not cause any sharp bends which could cause cracking. You need this silver sticker to stay intact for the whole operation to work!!!
    The top pin is positive and bottom is negative as shown in the picture, this is also the same on the note the top pin being positive and bottom negative.

2. I placed the coil in the center of the Note battery case I then placed the silver sticker over the coil as it was on the Palm Pre (this is very important that you place the silver sticker back over the coil as without it the induction doesn't seem to work.)

3. I then checked where the charging pins on the note meets with the case and marked it with a pen to indicate where the wires copper tape would have to be.

4. Using copper tape, I stuck two tracks going from the charging circuit to the charging pins positions, make sure you leave enough copper track to fold the tape twice over itself to create a spring going against the charging pins.

5. Solder the track to the charging circuit by tinning the end of the copper track and soldering it to charging circuit contacts, then cut electrical tape to size and place it over the copper track. After place the original insulation cover over the coil with the magnets.

6. I placed the battery cover over the Palm Touchstone dock and checked the voltage from the copper track with a meter (should be 5.6V any less means you have left the silver foil off or not placed it correctly) to check everything is working and the polarity is correct.

7. I placed it back on my phone and there you go, I now have wireless charging.

NFC works and magnets do not affect the phone testing the S Pen and Compass seem to operate all good.

List of successful mods completed:
There is probably more successful mods then whats on this list, please post about your success and I will add it to here but also post about if you are having trouble getting this working and I'm sure somebody will be able to advice and help you here!

German tutorial with good pictures of the Pre and Pixi casing(thanks Frank2)
Sorry if its a bit brief, I will try and write it up a bit better.

[size=+1]EDIT: Measurements I've taken
Output Voltage 4.8V (5.6V disconnected)
Output Amps 0.42A[/size]

EDIT: Added pictures of the Galaxy Note on the dock in portrait & landscape

EDIT: I've now swapped my wires over to copper tape

EDIT: nm8 has just posted a solder less alternative [MOD] Note 2 Wireless Charging [Origami style][No Solder]

You can use the Palm Pixi case to do this mod but its very important that you double check the polarity to the charging pins. Do not connect straight to the charging pins until your sure which pins are positive and negative, you could cause damage to your phone Info Regarding the Pixi

EDIT: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33861324&postcount=77 QI Wireless Charging Mod

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 16,457
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 18,428
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 17,241
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 16,651
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 18,675
  • 20121103_170225-1.jpg
    20121103_170225-1.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 17,481
  • 20121103_171256-1(1).jpg
    20121103_171256-1(1).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 15,755
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 15,153
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 13,216
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 12,784
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 13,251
  • Charging_01.jpg
    Charging_01.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 15,320
  • DSC01324.JPG
    DSC01324.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 12,415
  • DSC01325.JPG
    DSC01325.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 11,240
  • DSC01326.JPG
    DSC01326.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 14,703
  • DSC01332.JPG
    DSC01332.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 10,285
  • DSC01333.JPG
    DSC01333.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 9,493
  • DSC01334.JPG
    DSC01334.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 9,244
  • DSC01330.jpg
    DSC01330.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 10,031
Last edited:

randy2

Jan 9, 2009
What gage speaker wire I want to duplicate your process perfectly what type of soder did u use

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

rj3005

Nov 11, 2009
Does the back cover fit without problem after this mod?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Gore785

Feb 9, 2012
You, or, someone should make a video and post it on the OP.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
What gage speaker wire I want to duplicate your process perfectly what type of soder did u use

When I get home, I will have a look at the speaker cable but i'm not entirely sure, and for the solder I don't think the guage matters as you are only soldering on the charging circuit pins and creating a solder ball on the end of the wires. For the actual wires I recommend stripping the insulation off completly and then replacing it with heat shrink as this creates a thin layer of insulation.

Does the back cover fit without problem after this mod?

Yes the back cover fits perfectly, you can not feel the coil or the charging circuit but you can feel a slight bump where the wires go but its not noticeable. Its quite a nice fit and handy as the Palm Pre modules lines up perfectly for polarity, you may even get away with having the circuit with the pins directly lined up to the note charging ports to prevent feeling the wires and just extend the coil itself.

Reactions: rj3005

rj3005

Nov 11, 2009
Yes the back cover fits perfectly, you can not feel the coil or the charging circuit but you can feel a slight bump where the wires go but its not noticeable. Its quite a nice fit and handy as the Palm Pre modules lines up perfectly for polarity, you may even get away with having the circuit with the pins directly lined up to the note charging ports to prevent feeling the wires and just extend the coil itself.

Your speaker wires are really thick I would use 0.7mm lacquered copper wire

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
What does it look like actually ON the Touchstone? It it stable?

I will post a picture of it when I get home, but it is quite stable on the touchstone it holds it up. It will come off the magnetic field if you physically knock it off but it wouldn't come off if you knocked the table or anything its on.

Your speaker wires are really thick I would use 0.7mm lacquered copper wire

I think the speaker cable I used was about 1mm thick i will double check but 0.7mm would be best, but with a 1mm you hardly notice it on the case anyways.

RavenY2K3

Nov 13, 2006
Great mod, it's pretty cool how android has picked up the wireless charge, I didn't even know it was natively supported. What is the charging time like compared to a normal tethered charge?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
Great mod, it's pretty cool how android has picked up the wireless charge, I didn't even know it was natively supported. What is the charging time like compared to a normal tethered charge?

I'm not so sure, it was something I quickly did before I went to work not had a play with it yet. I'm home now so I've docked it on the charger at 50% so I will report back in hour with what percentage it is at.

nm8

Jan 8, 2006
Undershire
I measured 5.6V from the output, but I didn't measure the actual coil itself.

Thanks for hte quick reply.

I have 2 concerns:
1. will 5.6v fry the battery sooner ? (forgot to ask the ouput amperage)
2. if the back cover bulges, it might crack the cover sooner or later..

what do you think ?

thanks

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
Thanks for hte quick reply.

I have 2 concerns:
1. will 5.6v fry the battery sooner ? (forgot to ask the ouput amperage)
2. if the back cover bulges, it might crack the cover sooner or later..

what do you think ?

thanks

When I measured the output i didn't have a load on it, so I would expect a slight drop in the output voltage. I will measure the amps tomorrow, to see what its drawing I will plug it in to the Samsung 2A charger but i got a feeling its limited to what it can draw. I couldn't comment on whether it will fry the battery sooner but I will also measure the voltage to see if there is a drop.

The back cover has minimum bulge, hardly noticeable. You can always use thinner wire if your worried about the bulge like 'rj3005' mentioned about using 0.7mm. I highly doubt the cover would crack as its quite flexible in itself.

nm8

Jan 8, 2006
Undershire
When I measured the output i didn't have a load on it, so I would expect a slight drop in the output voltage. I will measure the amps tomorrow, to see what its drawing I will plug it in to the Samsung 2A charger but i got a feeling its limited to what it can draw. I couldn't comment on whether it will fry the battery sooner but I will also measure the voltage to see if there is a drop.

The back cover has minimum bulge, hardly noticeable. You can always use thinner wire if your worried about the bulge like 'rj3005' mentioned about using 0.7mm. I highly doubt the cover would crack as its quite flexible in itself.

Can I just clarify one thing, do you mean the buldge is caused by the x2 cables that you soldered to the terminals and not the actual big circular coil (sorry don't know what its called). cheers

Ryan_G

Sep 27, 2006
United Kingdom
Can I just clarify one thing, do you mean the buldge is caused by the x2 cables that you soldered to the terminals and not the actual big circular coil (sorry don't know what its called). cheers

Yes the actual 'coil and charging circuit' doesn't bulge only the two cables you can slightly feel going from the charging circuit terminals to the galaxy note wireless charging ports.
Like I said the bulge is very minimal, nothing which concerns me but could be overcome my using thinner cable then what I used.

Reactions: nm8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+1]Simple wireless charging - Ten Minutes & Under Ten Pounds[/size]

Confirmed working on the:
    International Note II GT-N7100

International Note II GT-N7105

AT&T Note II (Confirmed working)

Sprint Note II (has no slots for charging pins, but confirmed working when taking the middle housing cover off and finding the wireless charging contacts underneath)
    Have a look at this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33833217&postcount=240

Canadian i317M Note II (Bell Canada)
    Confirmed not working on the:
    US TMobile Note II SGH-T889 (Has the charging pins for wireless charging)
    Please see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1978276

vinas1 has just released some instructions on how you could get the wireless charging mod to work on the Tmobile Note II version.
    Check it out here
    [size=+1]Please do this mod at your own risk[/size]

[size=+1]Big Thanks to m055 who has posted a video guide on Youtube check it out from here[/size]

I've decided to go ahead and do the mod for the wireless charging as i've seen a few threads tempting me.
    What you need is:
    • Palm Touchstone £5.24 (Amazon UK)
    • Palm Pre Touchstone case £3.49 (eBay)
    • Electrical Tape
    • Copper foil tape [thanks rj3005]
    • Solder Iron & Solder
    You can also use thin wire to do this mod if you don't have copper tape handy.
    This all cost me under £10 excluding the solder iron. You might find it cheaper shopping around.
    1. I first took the induction coil out of the Palm Pre case carefully.
      !!! Its very important that you peel the silver sticker off carefully and not cause any sharp bends which could cause cracking. You need this silver sticker to stay intact for the whole operation to work!!!
      The top pin is positive and bottom is negative as shown in the picture, this is also the same on the note the top pin being positive and bottom negative.

2. I placed the coil in the center of the Note battery case I then placed the silver sticker over the coil as it was on the Palm Pre (this is very important that you place the silver sticker back over the coil as without it the induction doesn't seem to work.)

3. I then checked where the charging pins on the note meets with the case and marked it with a pen to indicate where the wires copper tape would have to be.

4. Using copper tape, I stuck two tracks going from the charging circuit to the charging pins positions, make sure you leave enough copper track to fold the tape twice over itself to create a spring going against the charging pins.

5. Solder the track to the charging circuit by tinning the end of the copper track and soldering it to charging circuit contacts, then cut electrical tape to size and place it over the copper track. After place the original insulation cover over the coil with the magnets.

6. I placed the battery cover over the Palm Touchstone dock and checked the voltage from the copper track with a meter (should be 5.6V any less means you have left the silver foil off or not placed it correctly) to check everything is working and the polarity is correct.

7. I placed it back on my phone and there you go, I now have wireless charging.

NFC works and magnets do not affect the phone testing the S Pen and Compass seem to operate all good.

List of successful mods completed:
    There is probably more successful mods then whats on this list, please post about your success and I will add it to here but also post about if you are having trouble getting this working and I'm sure somebody will be able to advice and help you here!

German tutorial with good pictures of the Pre and Pixi casing(thanks Frank2)
    Sorry if its a bit brief, I will try and write it up a bit better.

[size=+1]EDIT: Measurements I've taken
    Output Voltage 4.8V (5.6V disconnected)
    Output Amps 0.42A[/size]

EDIT: Added pictures of the Galaxy Note on the dock in portrait & landscape

EDIT: I've now swapped my wires over to copper tape

EDIT: nm8 has just posted a solder less alternative [MOD] Note 2 Wireless Charging [Origami style][No Solder]

You can use the Palm Pixi case to do this mod but its very important that you double check the polarity to the charging pins. Do not connect straight to the charging pins until your sure which pins are positive and negative, you could cause damage to your phone Info Regarding the Pixi

EDIT: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33861324&postcount=77 QI Wireless Charging Mod
    My GF has a Note 2 from US Cellular.

Popped off the battery cover and right off the bat you can tell its different from the international version because it lacks the two charging points......but I wondered if they were under the plastic back plate but just not visible.....so she dove in and tore it apart.

Used a disassembly video we found on YouTube....so I wont bother with the "unscrew this" - "pry here" crap.

This is what you see once you get it apart.

20121107_194130.jpg

See them two little spots....yep, thats what your looking for.

Now I gotta "modify" read "hack the **** out of" the back cover so you can access those little points with the phone reassembled......so I used a dremel to hog out the back plate.

20121107_194135.jpg

Stick all the Palm crap on the original battery door......see those little fingers are going to fit thru the hole and contact the charging points on the circuit board.

20121107_194407.jpg

.......and success. WIRELESS CHARGING

20121107_213625.jpg
    Finally finished my mod today. The most difficult and time consuming part of this mod is the preparation and etching of the flexible PCB.

Things needed:
    1. copper clad laminate (pyralux) - flexible PCB
    2. Copper tape
    3. ferric chloride solution - for etching
    4. Alcohol or acetone - to clean up pcb after etching
    5. Water proof/permanent marker pen, tweezer, nipper/scissor, mobile phone pry tools, soldering iron, bla blah

8147661667_c5fbef19f6_b.jpg

Trial etching:
    8147666965_c5161f9e2b_b.jpg

More pics:
    8152200298_63045dccc1_b.jpg

8152201596_389d9ef0a8_b.jpg

8152176843_8042726649_b.jpg

8152197406_e2c8f946ec_b.jpg

8152169951_ccb970efbe_b.jpg

8152173071_95ea8ae634_b.jpg

8152204446_b04b4b760a_b.jpg

video:
    Thanks for this, I was in the market for a dock when I stumble upon you're post, I don't need a dock for anything other than charging plus the viewing angle is perfect for me, so it was a no brainer.

I used the no solder option for my battery cover, there's a slight bulge but nothing too serious, I ordered some more parts to do my flip cover, that went really well, there's no bulge whatsoever, but for some reason the magnets aren't as strong, it holds but not as well.

For anyone who is having issues I have posted a guide on YouTube

hope it helps.

M
    But using the two terminals to the left of the battery is fine correct? Like the OP did?

Yes those terminals next to the battery are fine and safe to use.

but some forum members have been asking whether its safe to connect the induction coil directly to the battery, this is not safe. They have been asking because phones like the Galaxy Note 1 have not got Wireless Charging terminals.

I hope this clears it up for you.