saving current ROM

Search This thread

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
Recently rooted my MT3G. I have used Root Checker to verify root access and BusyBox install.

I have ROM manager installed. I believe, I should first save the original ROM, in case I need to restore it. When I use the menu item to save current ROM, it goes to the myTouch green splash screen, then to the black screen with the triangle containing an !

At that point do I need to press a combination of keys to get into next step, or just wait? It does not seem to do anything at that point.

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
To add to this, in Rom Manager I first flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery. However, when I click the menu to "Reboot into Recovery", I get the green myTouch start screen and it just hangs there.

Reactions: basscheck12

dark0

Aug 10, 2007
NYC
Just do a nand backup in custom recovery (clockwork, amon ra, whichever one you're using; power down the phone then press and hold HOME+POWER until you get to it), it'll save it to your sd card.

basscheck12

Aug 23, 2010
Denver
To add to this, in Rom Manager I first flashed the ClockworkMod Recovery. However, when I click the menu to "Reboot into Recovery", I get the green myTouch start screen and it just hangs there.

Sounds like recovery didn't install correctly. Try reinstalling recovery and see if that helps. You could try installing recovery from terminal emulator. If you don't have term emulator search for it in the market then follow directions here.
This method will work for clockwork also just replace the file/file name with it.

Last edited:

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
OK, I power down. Then do home+power until green myTouch screen appears, continue to hold down home+power until triangle with ! appears, then release buttons, repress home+power and it goes to original MT3G recovery. So, sounds like Clockwork recovery did not install. Will try terminal emulator install method.

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
Found something online that says flash_image is not available in HTC stock rom. I am currently running FROYO, not a custom rom.

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
I have flash_image on the SD card, but can not move it to /system/bin, not even by using the terminal. : (

I wonder if the app Root Explorer could move it or copy/paste it.

dark0

Aug 10, 2007
NYC
Do a search on how to flash recovery through fastboot (in a nutshell you'd need AndroidSDK/ADB tools and a custom recovery image, then it's just a matter of connecting your phone to pc, booting into fastboot and issuing a 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' through cmd), once you do, you can flash new roms.

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
An update on the outcome in case any one else as noob as me has these same problems. Following the rooting thread elsewhere here for the MT3G, I downloaded roottools and was able to use adb to change the permissions on /system/bin so that flash_image could be put there. Also was able to put the recovery mentioned in that same thread on my phone. Once finished, I was able to boot into the new recovery and do a backup of the phone.

So, I believe that finally has me in a position to try and flash a new rom, with the option of restoring me back to what I jave now if the new rom has issues.

I'd be interested in recommendations for ROMs to try on the MT3G. Are any of the custom ROMs preferable to FROYO which I am now running? Do any make the phone operate more "snappy"? That is my primary wish, not so much features, but responsiveness. I appreciate the help given here.

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
Last night I used Rom Manager to download Cyanogen 6.1.0 and the Google apps. I chose to wipe data and cache when installing. When I began the rom swap the phone rebooted to the green myTouch screen, after a while, it rebooted to the green screen, this continued until I eventually pulled the battery. Reinserting the battery and turning the phone back on only started this boot looping again. So, I pulled the battery, started up into the recovery and did a restore. Fortunately, the restore seems to have worked perfectly.

Any ideas on how to get the rom swap to go?

Last edited:

basscheck12

Aug 23, 2010
Denver
Sounds like you might need to flash an alternative kernel. Check your phones info (power off then reboot holding down volume down+power) to see if it is compatabile with the rom. If your device is 32b and your radio 2.22.27.08 or 2.22.28.85 flash a 2708+ kernel from here
or an autokernel from here after flashing the rom or just search 2708+ kernel, you'll find lots of options, everyone has a personal favorite.

Last edited:

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
fastboot shows this:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0013 (SAPP 30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.28.25
Oct 21 2009,22:33:27

So, if I flash a 2708+ kernel, I would do that, then flash the new rom? Or, would I flash the rom, then boot back into the recovery and flash the kernel, then restart the phone?

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
About Phone:

Android Version

Baseband Version:
62.50SJ.2017U_2.22.28.25

Kernal Version:
2.6.32.9-27237-gbe746fb
android-build@apa26 #1

Build number
FRG83D

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
When I flash Clockwork recovery, and see it appear when I boot into recovery, then how is it possible that later, the Android recovery comes back?

basscheck12

Aug 23, 2010
Denver
fastboot shows this:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0013 (SAPP 30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.28.25
Oct 21 2009,22:33:27

So, if I flash a 2708+ kernel, I would do that, then flash the new rom? Or, would I flash the rom, then boot back into the recovery and flash the kernel, then restart the phone?

Rom first then kernel.

RikR

Oct 25, 2006
North Carolina
When i flashed Cyanogen 6.1.0, the phone would not boot. So, how do I flash the rom first, and then flash the kernel? Also, can you suggest a specfic kernel for my MT3G? Why doesn't the Cyanogen 6.1.0 already have the kernel i need?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.