[ROM] CM9 (ICS) for the Galaxy Player 5.0 USA

Search This thread

EcHoFiiVe

Jan 29, 2012
Mundelein. IL
Tried and tried, but still only getting those gapps functioning as tablet apps. There are some new apps I discovered working in tablet mode, such as Engadget, Google Play Books, Super user etc

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA

Can you please explain how you got into tablet mode? I tried setting my dpi to 129 but still nothing.. Please explain?

YoBob

Mar 9, 2011
Can you please explain how you got into tablet mode? I tried setting my dpi to 129 but still nothing.. Please explain?

Its not really tablet mode as I can't get the setup to be like that on the ICS tablet. What happened after changing the dpi to 129 was that some apps changed into tablet mode .

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA

kfirbep

Feb 9, 2012
You don't need it per se.
Just back-up your whatsapp, contacts and contacts storage using Titanium Backup.
Install Root explorer pro and go to /data/apps and long-press on whatsapp. Then select 'send' to dropbox.

Flash any new ROM you want, like ICS and install gapps if needed. Download dropbox and download the whatsapp app you just uploaded to dropbox.

Then open titanium back-up (should still be there if you chose to back-up your market account with your installed apps). And restore the files for whatsapp, contacts and contacts storage.

Now open whatsapp and do the process of loggin in and it may ask for re-verification. Then you should have your contacts there. You only lost the names though, so you only see phone numbers.
I tried to export contacts to sd-card then import into ICS, but i wasn't able to do so.

I must flash a new rom? And i didnt understand why this will make whatsapp work on my player.. Is it make whatsapp think that its a phone? If yes why?
Thanks for the help!

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda premium

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
I have this ROM installed on my International 5.0. I tried using the same kernel I used with the prior alpha build in the other thread but I was not able to get the physical home button to work. I installed the softkey package and that seems to work. I do notice the soft keys are covering the keyboard that others mentioned. I also noticed that when I am on the home screen, the soft keys don't give me the menu button. Other than that it works very nicely so far. Even without hardware acceleration it seems fairly smooth. Keep up the good work.

shahrukhraza

Jan 12, 2012
do i HAVE to erase all the data? cuz i already went into a bootloop some other time and it wasn't pleasant downloading every single app again. but i really want ics :(

Rapydax

I must flash a new rom? And i didnt understand why this will make whatsapp work on my player.. Is it make whatsapp think that its a phone? If yes why?
Thanks for the help!

I thought you were on erygitts rom that was able to run whatsapp correctly. If you want to flash a new ROM that cant run whatsapp correctly (i.e. not identifying) follow the steps i just wrote. You have to be on the erygitts ROM. But first make a CWM back-up if you are not yet using erygitts ROM.

kekx

Jan 24, 2011
Great job! But i found a new issue: When i try to install an app from the market, it says that theres no space available but theres more than enough free!

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Premium App

kfirbep

Feb 9, 2012
I thought you were on erygitts rom that was able to run whatsapp correctly. If you want to flash a new ROM that cant run whatsapp correctly (i.e. not identifying) follow the steps i just wrote. You have to be on the erygitts ROM. But first make a CWM back-up if you are not yet using erygitts ROM.

Ohh ok.. Its a little problem for me because my computer is broken.
Do you have the whatsapp files from erygit rom So i will install it on my player?
Thanks for the help!

Rapydax

Ohh ok.. Its a little problem for me because my computer is broken.
Do you have the whatsapp files from erygit rom So i will install it on my player?
Thanks for the help!

Try downloading whatsapp apk from xda on your Galaxy Player.
But you have to back-up your contacts list yourself, becuase I obviously have different contacts than you do.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Hey I got an idea? Maybe JackpotClavin and tnsrua2000 should combine their ROMs? + the Tablet mode from Jayydude?

- You (Jack) have the stable ROM and more complete + soft buttons.
- tnsrua2000 has Google Music Play, Beats audio, sony bravia engine, xloud and V6 Super Charger
- Jayydude with his awesome tablet mode which is currently being worked on.

Profit??

kfirbep

Feb 9, 2012
Try downloading whatsapp apk from xda on your Galaxy Player.
But you have to back-up your contacts list yourself, becuase I obviously have different contacts than you do.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Hey I got an idea? Maybe JackpotClavin and tnsrua2000 should combine their ROMs? + the Tablet mode from Jayydude?

- You (Jack) have the stable ROM and more complete + soft buttons.
- tnsrua2000 has Google Music Play, Beats audio, sony bravia engine, xloud and V6 Super Charger
- Jayydude with his awesome tablet mode which is currently being worked on.

Profit??

I didnt find on xda :( no one upload his whatsapp from his phone.

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Noisyfox's kernel and home button patch version 2 found here allows the physical home buttons on the International 5.0 to work with this ROM. I think you should put a link to his kernel/patch in the first post and change this thread to USA & INTL.
Keep up the good work to all you devs that are making my awesome Galaxy Player awesomer!

Edit: also using this kernel/patch allows me to overclock my device to 1.2Ghz usings CM9's built in processor settings.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy fellas,

I decided to make a new thread for the development for the US Galaxy Player 5.0

Before we begin, I'd like to give credit to a few xda developers that made this all happen
    ambrice (Using his kernel source from his CM7 ROMs)
    Entropy512 (Ported ClockworkMod)
    tdmcode (Helping me when I need it)

Here's the kernel sources: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/linux_kernel_galaxyplayer

Device source is here: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/Samsung-Galaxy-Player-5.0-U.S.-CM9-ICS

What doesn't work:
    Camera
    Netflix

Instructions

12/5/2012
    This ROM is in the form of a clockwork backup. What you should do is download the .zip, unzip it and push it to your clockwork backup directory (as if it were just another backup) then, do a factory reset, and make a clockwork restoration of this ROM. Then reboot and enjoy. Gapps are included in this ROM!

0da7b76075ad2fbcbc2a2b694fa5fe46 CM9-HWA-12.5.2012.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cej55ivhc9x2556

This comes with the navigation keys on the bottom (like the Galaxy Nexus) and does not use the actual keys on the bottom of the bezel

12/6/2012
    Install this boot.img like you would install any other type of ROM in clockwork recovery. This boot.img fixes the bluetooth issue, as well as the fixing the previous inability to download apps from the Android Marketplace =)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?z976cetwscrmfff

You will also have to install the Bluetooth fix .zip from a fellow XDA dev Supermaster34 from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1847045

For the old ROM from March:
    Outdated and old (no hardware acceleration) You can download the latest .zip from here -> http://www.mediafire.com/?1blgg21e3f0pyk4
    93cafb00396bc9596aee3d371af12bb4 3-31.zip

Download the latest Gapps from here http://goo-inside.me/gapps/
    Well I ported the pvr drivers from the Nexus S ICS kernel to our our kernel and used the new pvr libraries in our kernel which came with the Nexus S and it's a pretty big improvement. With just the pvr drivers, I had working Chrome, the camera somewhat worked, and we were able to utilize OpenGL unlike before so the device was virtually as smooth as the Galaxy Nexus. There was no hesitation when opening the app drawer, scrolling was silk smooth, and there were no jagged edges when scrolling to the end of the home screen or the app drawer. It's probably the biggest move in the right direction since our first boot (still no Netflix, I was surprised that this didn't work) but the device performed slow without the actual 3.0 kernel advancements since I only used a small portion of the 3.0 kernel :/ but we're getting there. Gonna get cracking on porting this 3.0 kernel full time to the device :)
    Howdy fellas, been a few days since I got the 3.0 kernel working on the Galaxy Player 5.0, since then, I've been working almost constantly to get this ready for primetime. There's still a lot of stuff that needs work, so for the sake of brevity, I'll say that does work. The screen display and the touch screen work perfectly, just got wifi running a second ago and that's about all I have of the bare essentials right now. My list goes:

1. Sound
    2. A battery driver (it currently says 0%, I've added the necessary source to get it to work, but then I lost the ability to USB debug, so I disabled it for now since I don't need it)
    3. The ability to power off the device (I'll push kernel source out and upload a super-alpha ROM once I get this working) I think I know what's causing this so it will be next on my to-do list

Right now I'm running a Samsung Vibrant CM10 4.1.1 ROM nightly from yesterday or the day before and it's really smooth. I don't have a hwcomposer right now because the aries one doesn't work for some strange reason, but once this is working, it should be a lot smoother. I'm running a 3.0.31 kernel with the latest Jellybean sources from Google
    thread cleaned.

keep it on topic people:)
    You should ask gmillz, he would be a good person to go to in terms of fixing all the misc. issues.

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app

I had a productive day in that I fixed those two annoying issues mentioned above. I commented out some battery code that created some conflicts with the USB so that issue is gone. Also, I had some completely obsolete and useless code from the 2.6.35.7 kernel that reserved almost half our available RAM for pretty much nothing, so once I removed that, we went from 192MB of RAM free to now around 385MB free.

For anybody who tested out the CM10 super alpha from before, the fact that our available RAM was so low caused background programs to constantly be killed and restarted as they became the foreground application, which made the device perform super sluggish and crappy at multitasking; but has been rectified so background processes are no longer killed due to the lack of RAM. Sound is kind of iffy but needs to be reworked so 100% (it only works around 30% of the time right now).

I just pushed that source to the repository, but we are in need of a functioning external sdcard (the node is missing) and the reboot function does not currently work, only the poweroff works. I'm not gonna be around for the next couple days so if anybody wants to take a shot at it and gets it working, shoot me a pull request and I'll happily add it to the repository