[Q] Why the user j00m is disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nickdimoni

Aug 19, 2013
I wanted to download the ROM "j00m Kitkat 4.4.2 optimized bionic" for the Nexus One. But the user j00m has been disabled and the thread is deleted. Anyone know what happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: ricpo

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I can't say for sure but as I've seen his Roms posted they appeared to be little more than rip offs of the couple nexus1 devs left, also the op of the threads pandered for money and thanks. My best guess is the real developers got annoyed and finally had a word with moderators.
This is all just speculation though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: nickdimoni

abemore

Jul 31, 2012
Ok, thanks.
I thought: "His ROMs would Malware? And for that reason have expelled"

No malware, I was using his rom [edit: and am using it now as my daily driver]. I actually thought it was [and still is] the best post-Gingerbread rom available. It was basically Evervolv slimmed to 210mb system and a few tweaks for "lazy people" - details here. The mod who closed his thread cited 2 reasons:
  1. j00m's rom wasn't "different" enough (tho I don't know how he can make that call as it was clearly different enough for me and others to prefer it),
  2. j00m didn't get permission from texasice (isn't everything open source? why is permission necessary?)

Last edited by a moderator:

pandaball

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2011
Just to clear up some stuff I saw:

[*]j00m's rom wasn't "different" enough (tho I don't know how he can make that call as it was clearly different enough for me and others to prefer it),
[*]j00m didn't get permission from texasice (isn't everything open source? why is permission necessary?)
[/LIST]

The ROM was removed because it was essentially Evervolv taken from another developer and called his own. We do not allow that without permission as that is taking someone else's work, slapping on a few tweaks and calling it your own. No credit to the original developer, no mention of where the base came from, nothing. It's disrespectful, and is akin to someone taking the lunch you painstakingly made, adding pepper and then proclaiming it's his, with big donation banners around the plate of food. Not what the original developer would like, yes? That was why his ROM was removed. As for the bit about open source, j00m did not post the kernel sources he used, which was violating GPL and against the spirit of open source. While Evervolv is indeed open source, credit must be given if it is used as a base, and permission must be granted for that by the original developer, as we must respect the work of others as well. Without that, or if permission is not granted, the ROM will be removed from XDA.

TL;DR:
  1. Credit the developers of the base
  2. Ask for permission
  3. Post kernel sources

I hope this clarifies some of the issues I saw. Due to the nature of this thread, I will have to close it as I already saw instructions on evading the ban. My PM is however open to anyone with further queries. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to clear up some stuff I saw:

[*]j00m's rom wasn't "different" enough (tho I don't know how he can make that call as it was clearly different enough for me and others to prefer it),
    [*]j00m didn't get permission from texasice (isn't everything open source? why is permission necessary?)
    [/LIST]

The ROM was removed because it was essentially Evervolv taken from another developer and called his own. We do not allow that without permission as that is taking someone else's work, slapping on a few tweaks and calling it your own. No credit to the original developer, no mention of where the base came from, nothing. It's disrespectful, and is akin to someone taking the lunch you painstakingly made, adding pepper and then proclaiming it's his, with big donation banners around the plate of food. Not what the original developer would like, yes? That was why his ROM was removed. As for the bit about open source, j00m did not post the kernel sources he used, which was violating GPL and against the spirit of open source. While Evervolv is indeed open source, credit must be given if it is used as a base, and permission must be granted for that by the original developer, as we must respect the work of others as well. Without that, or if permission is not granted, the ROM will be removed from XDA.

TL;DR:
    1. Credit the developers of the base
    2. Ask for permission
    3. Post kernel sources

I hope this clarifies some of the issues I saw. Due to the nature of this thread, I will have to close it as I already saw instructions on evading the ban. My PM is however open to anyone with further queries. Thanks :)
    Ok, thanks.
    I thought: "His ROMs would Malware? And for that reason have expelled"

No malware, I was using his rom [edit: and am using it now as my daily driver]. I actually thought it was [and still is] the best post-Gingerbread rom available. It was basically Evervolv slimmed to 210mb system and a few tweaks for "lazy people" - details here. The mod who closed his thread cited 2 reasons:
    1. j00m's rom wasn't "different" enough (tho I don't know how he can make that call as it was clearly different enough for me and others to prefer it),
    2. j00m didn't get permission from texasice (isn't everything open source? why is permission necessary?)
    I wanted to download the ROM "j00m Kitkat 4.4.2 optimized bionic" for the Nexus One. But the user j00m has been disabled and the thread is deleted. Anyone know what happened?
    I can't say for sure but as I've seen his Roms posted they appeared to be little more than rip offs of the couple nexus1 devs left, also the op of the threads pandered for money and thanks. My best guess is the real developers got annoyed and finally had a word with moderators.
    This is all just speculation though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I think he doesn't have accept from developers to port their ROMs...