[Game] Helm Knight

Search This thread

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
Helm Knight is a 2D side scrolling action/adventure platformer, named after the helmet-headed protagonist. Help Helm Knight defeat the evil tribe from taking control of the magic crystals and bringing chaos to the lands.

Guide Helm Knight through 15 challenging levels by helping him run, jump, hack, slash and cast magic to avoid the various dangers that await him and secure the crystals to save the lands.

Fight different types of enemies which include goo-monsters, snakes, carnivorous plants, blobs, ice monsters and the evil tribal warriors.

Collect potions to replenish health and magic points.Collect gold coins to unlock spells like fire, poison and snow and make Helm Knight strong enough for the final showdown against the evil lord of the tribals. An option for tilt controls has also been included in case you experience trouble with multitouch on your phone.

ss2.png

ss4.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZe99gMpKmU

Helm Knight is available free on the android market. Please rate and comment.
Thanks

EDIT:

Market Links:

market://details?id=rnarang.android.games.helmknight

https://market.android.com/details?id=rnarang.android.games.helmknight

EDIT:

GetJar link:

http://www.getjar.com/Helm-Knight

Last edited:

rockstar_7

Dec 4, 2010
Nice! Reminds me of retro games...

I just downloaded and tried it on my LG Optimus One...
It's quite satisfying actually, feels like an Action RPG, although its just a platforming game.

However, its pretty punishing at times -- kinda reminds me of Demon's Souls!! :D

And my phone has a semi-multitouch screen, so... it gets really hard to control, even with the accelerometer..

Anyway..
Thanks for a great game!

P.S. Gave you a 5-star rating on the Android Market ;)

Reactions: The_R

Bygones

Aug 24, 2011
My only complaint is that it is pretty hard to see whats coming at you. The overlay of the attack/jump buttons are on the same level as the ground. I see that you can see through them, but I felt that wasn't enough.

I found myself hitting enemies without even knowing they were there, so I found myself moving a little forward and stopping, moving some more and stopping. Which I don't think is how you intended to have the game played.

I would suggest finding a way to handle this, maybe a different layout on the screen, right now it seems the buttons make up 30%+ of my screen(I have a G2). I notice some games make the buttons completely invisible after a time, reasoning being is that you learn where to press the screen. (although those games usually have less buttons then you do).

Overall it was a pretty smooth game, nice graphics and animations. Good job!

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for your feedback. I'll solve this problem in the coming update.

soul3n

Sep 21, 2009
Pretty frustrating game haha.

Could there be checkpoints in the game?

And sometimes when you get hurt and you're flashing, pressing the jump button doesn't execute the jump. I've died a couple of times to this.

The_R

Jan 18, 2011

And sometimes when you get hurt and you're flashing, pressing the jump button doesn't execute the jump. I've died a couple of times to this.

Hey thanks for your feedback. I have been asked to keep checkpoints by another user too. I'll try to do something about that. I did not notice the jumping while flashing issue before. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for your feedback. Can you please leave a rating on the market if possible?

May I also know what phone you played the game on?

Can I ask what game engine are you using?

Hey. This is my own custom engine/framework :)

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
-I gave the game 4 stars its not bad for a free game, but the controls are kinda in the way while playing. It ran flawless on my glacier.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
-I gave the game 4 stars its not bad for a free game, but the controls are kinda in the way while playing. It ran flawless on my glacier.

Thanks. Do you think that the in-game buttons are unnecessarily big on your phone? Or is it just that the layout gets in the way?

Right now the buttons scale along with everything else in game based on the size of the device's display. So on a tablet it would be really blown up and kind of far apart I guess.

I am thinking of keeping it a standard size irrespective of the device's display size. In other words, the in game buttons would be the same size on a huge screen and a small screen.

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
Just set the scale to half of its size then we'll tell you if it's ok. I like the graphics and sounds of your game. :)

I remember your mini games, now you're game is really well designed!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

nutweevil

Jun 16, 2010
Coimbra
hi there! i will try the game now but i think you're probably making a mistake when you ask people to rate the game at the market.
i'm saying this because i think it will hurt your future downloads. if people dont give the game 5*s because it is still buggy (i dont know if it is, i just saw some posts) others wont try it because of the lower feedback. I know it is crappy the way it works but i think you should try to send to the market the game as close as possible of final! =)

Good luck for the game and i will try it now! :)

nutweevil

Jun 16, 2010
Coimbra
maybe it just me or my nexus one but i have a problem :|

if i keep a arrow key pressed and i try to hit the attack button lots of times it will jump some of them :| i noticed it when i was trying to hit some enemies. again. it can be my mobile

i dont have much time now but i will try to test it more later

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
maybe it just me or my nexus one but i have a problem :|

if i keep a arrow key pressed and i try to hit the attack button lots of times it will jump some of them :| i noticed it when i was trying to hit some enemies. again. it can be my mobile

i dont have much time now but i will try to test it more later

Hey :)

Thanks for your feedback. If I am not mistaken Nexus One doesn't have "proper" multitouch along with a few other phones like LG Optimus One.
When you press multiple points on the screen there can be a misregistering of the touched points.

I did put in tilt controls in my game so that the game could be played on such phones although I won't say I prefer them. It was a kind of a late decision to add in the accelerometer controls and I'll admit the game isn't really designed to be played that way.

dashbones

May 14, 2011
Seattle
The graphics are messed up on my rooted Nook Color (CM7 nightly 172). There's alot of empty white blocks on the screen.

Too bad, it looks like a fun game.

slowcurve

Apr 16, 2011
great game the only thing i find that you could change for future updates is:

once you reach the end of a certain level just continue on to the next one

and the controls i don't understand why you have up and down arrows i'm guessing they will be used alter on in future levels. (correct me of i am wrong)

but overall its a fun action rpg

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on an update right now and yea i am going to put a "continue" to the next level button. I did not put it cause i thought maybe people would prefer to come back to the level select screen and then select if they want to go to the shop or maybe replay an older level. However I have been asked to keep a continue button by quite a few users till now so I will be doing that.

The up down buttons will be used to change the spells that you buy from the shop :)

nutweevil

Jun 16, 2010
Coimbra
I also thought it could be the problem from the multi touch. Still, i can play other games without problems that i remember. Maybe if rhe buttons could be a little further from each other

I also vote for a continue button at the end of the level.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Helm Knight is a 2D side scrolling action/adventure platformer, named after the helmet-headed protagonist. Help Helm Knight defeat the evil tribe from taking control of the magic crystals and bringing chaos to the lands.

Guide Helm Knight through 15 challenging levels by helping him run, jump, hack, slash and cast magic to avoid the various dangers that await him and secure the crystals to save the lands.

Fight different types of enemies which include goo-monsters, snakes, carnivorous plants, blobs, ice monsters and the evil tribal warriors.

Collect potions to replenish health and magic points.Collect gold coins to unlock spells like fire, poison and snow and make Helm Knight strong enough for the final showdown against the evil lord of the tribals. An option for tilt controls has also been included in case you experience trouble with multitouch on your phone.

ss2.png

ss4.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZe99gMpKmU

Helm Knight is available free on the android market. Please rate and comment.
    Thanks

EDIT:

Market Links:

market://details?id=rnarang.android.games.helmknight

https://market.android.com/details?id=rnarang.android.games.helmknight

EDIT:

GetJar link:

http://www.getjar.com/Helm-Knight
    Nice! Reminds me of retro games...

I just downloaded and tried it on my LG Optimus One...
    It's quite satisfying actually, feels like an Action RPG, although its just a platforming game.

However, its pretty punishing at times -- kinda reminds me of Demon's Souls!! :D

And my phone has a semi-multitouch screen, so... it gets really hard to control, even with the accelerometer..

Anyway..
    Thanks for a great game!

P.S. Gave you a 5-star rating on the Android Market ;)
    My only complaint is that it is pretty hard to see whats coming at you. The overlay of the attack/jump buttons are on the same level as the ground. I see that you can see through them, but I felt that wasn't enough.

I found myself hitting enemies without even knowing they were there, so I found myself moving a little forward and stopping, moving some more and stopping. Which I don't think is how you intended to have the game played.

I would suggest finding a way to handle this, maybe a different layout on the screen, right now it seems the buttons make up 30%+ of my screen(I have a G2). I notice some games make the buttons completely invisible after a time, reasoning being is that you learn where to press the screen. (although those games usually have less buttons then you do).

Overall it was a pretty smooth game, nice graphics and animations. Good job!