[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Search This thread

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Description:
This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC One XL, One S, EVO 4G LTE, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, Amaze, Vivid/Holiday, EVO 4G, EVO Shift, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM & CDMA), Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
Check application version for updates

Credits for HTC One XL Testing:
Special Thanks to: dorkboy69 and DvineLord
Old tester thread

Credits:
birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
Thanks to SDX

Background:
flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos (so far ONLY Samsung devices) and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Custom Recovery
Supports both CWM and TWRP!

Future Support:
Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

Install Directions:
Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
My preferred method, maybe a bit more technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
Release version (free): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-gn-v1.4.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
1) Unlock using Official HTC method
2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
8) Select reboot recovery.
9) Inside the custom recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache (consult specific ROM directions) then load/flash the ROM zip file.
10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
5) Reboot

Basic Troubleshooting:
Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues.

If not, as a courtesy, I've provided general guidelines and suggestions below.

If the device is not booting, the majority of the time, this is not related to Flash Image GUI and therefore outside the scope of this application and thread. Generally, the root cause is due to user error in flashing a bad kernel or wrong kernel/ROM combination. Please refer to other threads/posts to learn more about the specific device limitations imposed by the HTC unlock process and generally accepted practices of recovering from a mistake.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
Solution for #1: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery (Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\recovery.img). 3) Flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup
Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
Solution for #2: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery. 3) Flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a known good nandroid backup.

Last edited:

Allen Hu

May 17, 2012
Will this work on other android devices?
I'm using Sony and figuring on how to enable this feature!!!:)

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Will this work on other android devices?
I'm using Sony and figuring on how to enable this feature!!!:)
Haven't had any knowledgable Sony testers. If you are familiar with ADB and a custom recovery, send me a PM and we can setup a time to test. Thanks!

Add the epic 4g??
Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
Partial support, as indicated in the application and in the market. Tricky situation with that kernel being in two partitions. I didn't own the device and didn't have a tester with enough time to work out the kinks. If you're familiar with ADB and a custom recovery, send me a PM and we can coordinate testing. Thanks!

ripnhack

Jun 28, 2012
vacaville
I'm loving this app I haven't used it for a ROM yet just kernels bit it makes it a breeze I bought 2 of them ( one for me on my account and one for the misses on hers)

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I do have one request if possible can it have the ability to flash apps and what not

metalhead2791

Sep 5, 2012
This app is sweeeet! :good: Sure saves a lot of hassle.

What exactly happens when you try to load a ROM zip and the app tries to zero in on the boot.img ? I see it loads a few lib files and finally flashes the boot.img as opposed to just pointing the app to the extracted boot.img and letting it flash it?

cmky8132

Apr 6, 2012
Paducah,KY
This makes switching Roms a breeze on the Hox 2.20 users that have to use fastboot for boot.img. This is a great and time saving app. Thanks Joey!!!

Sent from my One X using xda premium

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I'm loving this app I haven't used it for a ROM yet just kernels bit it makes it a breeze I bought 2 of them ( one for me on my account and one for the misses on hers)

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

I do have one request if possible can it have the ability to flash apps and what not

Appreciate the support and positive feedback! Could you provide more detail along with your feature request? Perhaps could you link to an example set of "apps" you want the ability to flash? The more detail the better I can research and provide a good reply.

This app is sweeeet! :good: Sure saves a lot of hassle.

What exactly happens when you try to load a ROM zip and the app tries to zero in on the boot.img ? I see it loads a few lib files and finally flashes the boot.img as opposed to just pointing the app to the extracted boot.img and letting it flash it?
Great question. I suppose I should provide more information around this process in a FAQ or some type of supportive documentation.
Due to common HTC kernel standards, the WiFi module, as well as a few other modules are loaded externally, meaning they are separate files from the boot.img. Some manufacturers compile WiFi and other modules into the kernel zImage file which is a large portion of the boot.img file.
Flash Image GUI loads not only the boot.img file, but also loads the associated modules to ensure, if just a kernel is flashed, WiFi will work when the device is rebooted. In dealing with ROM .zip files, if the user promptly reboots to the custom recovery and flashes the same ROM .zip, the modules will be loaded twice and this makes the FIG feature more a safety feature than a necessity. In the case the user doesn't flash the ROM .zip from the custom recovery, for whatever reason, this process ensures WiFi will work with the kernel preventing any WiFi not working issues.
Hope that makes sense and provides a little more background!

This makes switching Roms a breeze on the Hox 2.20 users that have to use fastboot for boot.img. This is a great and time saving app. Thanks Joey!!!

Sent from my One X using xda premium
Appreciate the feedback and support!

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
So if Im switching ROMs... going from sense to aosp. I flash boot img using app, enter recovery, wipe data and system and flash rom? Would it delete what I just did with boot.img?

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
So if Im switching ROMs... going from sense to aosp. I flash boot img using app, enter recovery, wipe data and system and flash rom? Would it delete what I just did with boot.img?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: The boot.img is essentially a kernel and a ramdisk that following android's standards and is stored in a partition labeled as "boot", on most devices. Wiping the partition labeled "data" and "system" and copying over the ROM which goes into "system" will not delete the "boot" partition.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the support!

Reactions: InflatedTitan

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks bro! Trying to help my buddy with flashing ROMs on the fly since his computer pooped on him haha.. awesome job on this app.

ripnhack

Jun 28, 2012
vacaville
Appreciate the support and positive feedback! Could you provide more detail along with your feature request? Perhaps could you link to an example set of "apps" you want the ability to flash? The more detail the better I can research and provide a good reply.

Great question. I suppose I should provide more information around this process in a FAQ or some type of supportive documentation.
Due to common HTC kernel standards, the WiFi module, as well as a few other modules are loaded externally, meaning they are separate files from the boot.img. Some manufacturers compile WiFi and other modules into the kernel zImage file which is a large portion of the boot.img file.
Flash Image GUI loads not only the boot.img file, but also loads the associated modules to ensure, if just a kernel is flashed, WiFi will work when the device is rebooted. In dealing with ROM .zip files, if the user promptly reboots to the custom recovery and flashes the same ROM .zip, the modules will be loaded twice and this makes the FIG feature more a safety feature than a necessity. In the case the user doesn't flash the ROM .zip from the custom recovery, for whatever reason, this process ensures WiFi will work with the kernel preventing any WiFi not working issues.
Hope that makes sense and provides a little more background!

Appreciate the feedback and support!

Thanks for the response some apps would be the android 4.2 camera with the gallery the 4.2 keyboard with emoji heres a link to a few http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1970625

maybe custom boot & down animations (i usually disable mine but others may enjoy it)

That's all i can think of off the top of my head i hope that helps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
    This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
    Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
    Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC One XL, One S, EVO 4G LTE, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, Amaze, Vivid/Holiday, EVO 4G, EVO Shift, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM & CDMA), Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
    Check application version for updates

Credits for HTC One XL Testing:
    Special Thanks to: dorkboy69 and DvineLord
    Old tester thread

Credits:
    birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
    testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
    Thanks to SDX

Background:
    flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos (so far ONLY Samsung devices) and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Custom Recovery
    Supports both CWM and TWRP!

Future Support:
    Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

Install Directions:
    Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
    My preferred method, maybe a bit more technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
    Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
    Release version (free): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
    Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
    A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
    FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-gn-v1.4.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
    1) Unlock using Official HTC method
    2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
    3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
    4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
    5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
    6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
    7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
    8) Select reboot recovery.
    9) Inside the custom recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache (consult specific ROM directions) then load/flash the ROM zip file.
    10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
    1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
    2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
    3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
    3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
    4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
    5) Reboot

Basic Troubleshooting:
    Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues.

If not, as a courtesy, I've provided general guidelines and suggestions below.

If the device is not booting, the majority of the time, this is not related to Flash Image GUI and therefore outside the scope of this application and thread. Generally, the root cause is due to user error in flashing a bad kernel or wrong kernel/ROM combination. Please refer to other threads/posts to learn more about the specific device limitations imposed by the HTC unlock process and generally accepted practices of recovering from a mistake.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
    Solution for #1: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery (Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\recovery.img). 3) Flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup
    Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
    Solution for #2: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery. 3) Flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a known good nandroid backup.
    Here is a video if you guys want to see it in action, I didnt know at the time but you can select the rom from the app and it will extract and install the boot.img for you so you dont have to extract anything like i did in my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5dX23aZ1M
    Sweet, that was quicker then expected.

Going to do a video review on this in a few hours.
    Hi everybody and thanks for the great work !

I have an HOXL under CyanogenMod 10.1 and I have to swich to hboot 2.14 tu be able to update the rom, but I'm scared about using a wrong hboot img. My CID is 11111111. Which hboot img should I use please ?

Thanks ! :p

I think you're getting a little bit confused between hboot and boot.img, they're entirely different things. And it's not only the hboot you need to upgrade to run cm10.1, you need to upgrade the entire firmware, so you need to run an RUU.

You have SuperCID (11111111) which is good, but you need to make sure you're s-off before you RUU otherwise you'll brick your phone. Follow the instructions on the s-off thread, it's very easy. Then you can run the 3.18 RUU.

Sent from my Evita
    so i used this to flash a boot img to flash CM10. worked no problem but thr rom itself didnt seem complete so i rebooted to recovery to restore my backup. now when i reboot after restoring my phone hangs on the HTC logo. any help?

well u have to flash the boot.img from ur backup. no reason why backups would be any different.