Seidio Case

Search This thread

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Sherrills Ford, NC
Now THAT is a great lookin case. Definitely just made my decision easier. Not sure if I want red black or blue.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ML417

Jul 26, 2012
Long Island, NY
Actually, when you click on any color other then black, it says "Under Development"....

Apparently, only the black case is available at the moment.

not for me, i clicked on the blue and even looked through the two pictures (i was viewing the combo)

EDIT: sorry, i didnt see where it said it, i'm used to seeing the big under development bubble.

jc332986

Mar 1, 2010
Just ordered mine with the holster. Has to better than the Verizon shell holster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

n8mack33

Oct 7, 2007
I noticed on the site for the Active and Surface cases it now says (I don't think it did when I looked last week) that the cases are not compatible with wireless charging. One user commented that the Surface case does work, but can others confirm this as well for both cases? If one or both do work why would they say it doesn't? Maybe it works with some but not all charging plates. Or maybe it reduces the effectiveness of the charge. I don't see why the Surface case would be any different than the Diztronic case as an example.

I just picked up 2 Nokia Wireless Charging Plates so this is a deal breaker for me if they don't work with it.

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
I noticed on the site for the Active and Surface cases it now says (I don't think it did when I looked last week) that the cases are not compatible with wireless charging. One user commented that the Surface case does work, but can others confirm this as well for both cases? If one or both do work why would the

FAIL.

Seriously? Seidio takes weeks to release a case, and it's the ONLY case (that I've heard of) that does NOT work with inductive charging?

Yeah... why would DNA owners want THAT feature?:p

tuxly

Dec 16, 2012
Just to clarify for everyone, I have the surface case and a nokia 900 charge plate and have been using both together for a week now nightly with no issues. Phone charges just fine. I also have an LG charge pad and just confirmed wireless charge works through case with that one also. Do not know why they say it will not work. Cannot comment on active case. Also, have not noticed any heat issues with case on while charging, at least with the nokia plate.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Curiosity got to me so I called Seido and asked about the disclaimer that the DNA cases are not compatible with wireless charging. The tech support person said it is because they do not have access to all the wireless chargers to test the compatibilty and therefore cannot honestly claim that their cases work with such accessories. Seems odd to not just state that on the website rather than saying not compatible, but I guess it could be true.

Anyway, I will update thread if I notice any problems down the line as my surface case is staying on and I will be wirelessly charging nightly.

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
Anyway, I will update thread if I notice any problems down the line as my surface case is staying on and I will be wirelessly charging nightly.

I have a Tetrax mount, which was used previously for my Thunderbolt.

The way they work is, you install a small x shaped mount onto your vent, and it has a magnet. You then attach, via adhesive, a small, metal disk to the back of your cell phones case, and the magnetic disk holds the phone onto the mount.

Well, I installed the metal disk to the back of my case with my DNA.

Worked fine, BUT... when I went to charge the phone, after about fifteen minutes, I removed the phone with case from my Nokia charger, and the small (about the size of a nickle) metal disk was burning hot! It actually burned my fingers!

I would imagine, based on this, that Seidio's Surface case with kickstand would have the same issue... the kickstand, I would imagine, will get incredibly hot, when you try charging your DNA with the Surface case on the device.

If anyone gets this case, I'd love to hear if it works with inductive charging, or not.

n8mack33

Oct 7, 2007
The active case has the kickstand but the surface case does not.

tuxly

Dec 16, 2012
I would imagine, based on this, that Seidio's Surface case with kickstand would have the same issue... the kickstand, I would imagine, will get incredibly hot, when you try charging your DNA with the Surface case on the device.

The "surface" case, which I have, is not the one with kickstand. That is the "active". It makes sense to me the metal in the active might make it not compatible with wireless charging, but this should not be true for the surface which has no metal. Another person from seido has contacted me today and asked what brand/model chargers I am using. This person knew more and said that they did do some testing with wireless chargers and found inconsistencies (they did not elaborate). They said they want to test with chargers I have and will update their website if they find it works with specific chargers, for what that is worth.

FYI, their site now says both cases "are not guaranteed to be compatible with wireless charging" rather than "not compatible".

Last edited:

PhantomApollyon

Jul 11, 2007
FAIL.

Seriously? Seidio takes weeks to release a case, and it's the ONLY case (that I've heard of) that does NOT work with inductive charging?

Yeah... why would DNA owners want THAT feature?:p

I have a Tetrax mount, which was used previously for my Thunderbolt.

The way they work is, you install a small x shaped mount onto your vent, and it has a magnet. You then attach, via adhesive, a small, metal disk to the back of your cell phones case, and the magnetic disk holds the phone onto the mount.

Well, I installed the metal disk to the back of my case with my DNA.

Worked fine, BUT... when I went to charge the phone, after about fifteen minutes, I removed the phone with case from my Nokia charger, and the small (about the size of a nickle) metal disk was burning hot! It actually burned my fingers!

If anyone gets this case, I'd love to hear if it works with inductive charging, or not.

No issues here with the Surface case and Nokia wireless charging pillow, it works just fine.

Also for the record, it's simple to understand why they would put that disclaimer on their website about it not be guaranteed to work, I sure as heck would have done the same if I was making cases. The real issue is that as a company you have to deal with the lowest common denominator. So did Seidio acquire several reputable Qi chargers and test to make sure it works? Of course they did. Did they buy every knock-off charger on ebay and amazon to test as well? No idea, but I sure wouldn't if it was my company. I would just put that disclaimer up and call it a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuxly

ShelW

Mar 25, 2009
No issues here with the Surface case and Nokia wireless charging pillow, it works just fine.

Did they buy every knock-off charger on ebay and amazon to test as well? No idea, but I sure wouldn't if it was my company. I would just put that disclaimer up and call it a day.

I don't expect them to "buy every knock-off charger"...

However, when I made the original post their website said "Case not compatible with inductive charging", or something to that effect.

So did Seidio acquire several reputable Qi chargers and test to make sure it works? Of course they did.

Really? Then why did they post a message saying "Active case not compatible with inductive charging", if, as you state, they purchased and tested several reputable Qi chargers???

They've now changed the wording to "May not be compatible.... "

If you're going to go to the trouble of making cases for a cell phone, and you know that one of it's features is that it has inductive charging built in (they obviously knew, or they wouldn't have put up any disclaimer), you can do a minimum of testing, and either say it "May not be compatible", or, better yet, perhaps try a few of the major brands, such as the ones sold by VZN, and state that the case is compatible with these specific chargers, but may not work with other inductive chargers.

I've purchased, and enjoyed Seidio's cases in the past. I happen to believe that the Active cases, due to the metal kickstand, probably won't work with inductive charging, but it'd be nice if Seidio would test them out, and confirm they either do or don't work. I'd be surprised if they work with one inductive charger, but don't work with another, but I could be wrong.

As a side note, it would have made the kickstand much more beneficial if it worked in both landscape and portrait positions. Not sure why this wasn't possible.

Last edited:

PhantomApollyon

Jul 11, 2007
I don't expect them to "buy every knock-off charger"...

However, when I made the original post their website said "Case not compatible with inductive charging", or something to that effect.

I guess they realized what it said and made the necessary correction.

Really? Then why did they post a message saying "Active case not compatible with inductive charging", if, as you state, they purchased and tested several reputable Qi chargers???

They've now changed the wording to "May not be compatible.... "

If you're going to go to the trouble of making cases for a cell phone, and you know that one of it's features is that it has inductive charging built in (they obviously knew, or they wouldn't have put up any disclaimer), you can do a minimum of testing, and either say it "May not be compatible", or, better yet, perhaps try a few of the major brands, such as the ones sold by VZN, and state that the case is compatible with these specific chargers, but may not work with other inductive chargers.

Their site says "The ACTIVE® with Metal Kickstand is not guaranteed to be compatible with all wireless charging." That in and of itself implies that they most likely did test after making the case but don't want to list specific chargers. I'm not even going to get into speculating on their reasons for not detailing what they did try, but what I can say is that I would have done the same thing.

Last edited:
T

Transfusiionz

Has anyone gotten the active case? If so,post up some pics!

+1
I usually hate cases, but I really like my precious and I don't want her to get hurt..
I just want a minimal case that'll offer some degree of protection, without adding much bulk. Anyone got any good recommendations?
(Note: I don't care if it works with screen protectors or not. I don't use them as they're a pain in the ass IMHO)

Argumentation

Feb 21, 2012
Washinton, DC
+1
I usually hate cases, but I really like my precious and I don't want her to get hurt..
I just want a minimal case that'll offer some degree of protection, without adding much bulk. Anyone got any good recommendations?
(Note: I don't care if it works with screen protectors or not. I don't use them as they're a pain in the ass IMHO)

I've got the incipio duel pro case and its great, not too thick, but still protects the phone really well.

karn101

Oct 21, 2007
I have the active case with kickstand and it works just fine with the Energizer wireless charger.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone who has the Seidio Active case mind throwing up some pictures? I'd really love to see how it looks on the phone!

Take a look...the active case is not that bulky and fits very well
    Here my review on Seido Surface Combo. I really think Seido has done a great job at find the right balance with this case. It adds some protection for screen and camera by keeping them from connecting directly to flat surface. All of the edges are also covered. The thickness of case I think is just right. I was worried about added bulk as I have not liked any other case I have tried so far except the verizon shell which really adds nothing. Seido kept the back with same curve as phone. I am starting to actually like feel of device in case better than naked phone as phone does not feel quite as fragile or potentially as easy to drop. It is a bit easier to type in landscape mode as you have more to hold onto. Volume rocker and power button are easy to locate by feel now, and I have yet to accidently hit the volume rocker with the clever way this was designed. Closing usb port is not quite as easy with phone in case, but not overly hard either. The notification light on back has its own cutout also. Seido also did a great job at solvong the issue where speaker volume gets muted on some surfaces. I put the phone with this case on all the places where I cannot hear naked phone ring and the ringtone came out loud and clear. Have not yet tried case with a screen protector, but will try to get one so I can let people know how it works with them. Holster is great. Yes, it is a bit big to carry at waistband, but that is just because phone is the size it is. This holster manages to allow easy access while keeping phone secure (wore all day yesterday and no issues). The release hinge is a bit bigger than on prior Seido holsters, but it seems like it needs to be that way to add necessary stability. Has same swivel mechanism as other holsters also. Easy to put on and take off once you know how Seido cases are. Noticed no damage on phone from case, though could tell where soft lining touched phone (made a line that like fingerprints can be wiped away). Easy reach all eadges of screen; case does not hinder anything (with otterbox defender had trouble touching outer edges of screen). All in all, love this case and holster combo and it is definitely what will stay on my DNA from now on! If you have specific questions, let me know. Will try to get some pictures if I can find my actual camera.
    Just to clarify for everyone, I have the surface case and a nokia 900 charge plate and have been using both together for a week now nightly with no issues. Phone charges just fine. I also have an LG charge pad and just confirmed wireless charge works through case with that one also. Do not know why they say it will not work. Cannot comment on active case. Also, have not noticed any heat issues with case on while charging, at least with the nokia plate.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Curiosity got to me so I called Seido and asked about the disclaimer that the DNA cases are not compatible with wireless charging. The tech support person said it is because they do not have access to all the wireless chargers to test the compatibilty and therefore cannot honestly claim that their cases work with such accessories. Seems odd to not just state that on the website rather than saying not compatible, but I guess it could be true.

Pictures of Seido Surface case and Holster are attached. They include front view, back view, side view, top view, bottom view, 3 views in holster and 2 views with only half of case on to give better idea of size of case.

I tried one of the verizon screen protectors. They do not go edge to edge so work fine with the case. Put one of the protectors such that it went to very bottom edge of phone (on phone in pictures). The case does lift it a bit if phone is held just right, but I could use the plastic thing to push bubbles away to lift edge of case just enough to push screen protector under the edge. I imagine it will be a bit of a challenge for true edge to edge protectors with this case, but might work after some tweaking. Seido is working on their own screen protectors for this phone so maybe they will look into the issue.
    Still nobody has the Active case that can say whether it works with wireless chargers? One person said it did but no pics and it would be nice for others to corroborate and for which chargers it works or doesn't work. And whether the kickstand gets hot. I'm ordering a Surface case and I was thinking about getting an Active case for my wife because she likes the kickstand.

wireless charging works fine with the active, been using mine for several weeks on it with no issues