How to install Cyanogenmod on Bell a510a

Search This thread

Cup o Joe

Feb 27, 2014
edit 28/2/14 : for tutorial see posts 4 and 7

Hi, I have a Wildfire S a510a that failed to be rooted so I am starting over with the Bell RUU (Aka virgin mobile).

I am charging the phone to get it ready to flash. Will flashing the ROM delete the Superuser app that came with the root.zip?

Last edited:

csoulr666

Jun 30, 2011
Aligarh
Hi, I have a Wildfire S a510a that failed to be rooted so I am starting over with the Bell RUU (Aka virgin mobile).

I am charging the phone to get it ready to flash. Will flashing the ROM delete the Superuser app that came with the root.zip?

Yes, the RUU wipes all data before flashing so you will loose all apps and data

Cup o Joe

Feb 27, 2014
Yes, the RUU wipes all data before flashing so you will loose all apps and data

I tried using "HTC android phone rom update utility 1.0.3.2011" and it says "This rom utility can not update your android device, please get the appropriate ROM update utility and try again."

In titanium backup I accidentally uninstalled "HTC sense" and now the desktop area is black. I can still navigate the settings menu but not phone or the apps menu. Is there a way to move the Bell Ruu to the sd card and opening it with CWMbased recovery?

csoulr666

Jun 30, 2011
Aligarh
I tried using "HTC android phone rom update utility 1.0.3.2011" and it says "This rom utility can not update your android device, please get the appropriate ROM update utility and try again."

In titanium backup I accidentally uninstalled "HTC sense" and now the desktop area is black. I can still navigate the settings menu but not phone or the apps menu. Is there a way to move the Bell Ruu to the sd card and opening it with CWMbased recovery?

Open the RUU and let it open, then close it after the first window opens.................then get into the temp folder by typing "%temp%" in "Run"(if using Windows XP) or directly in the search bar in Windows 7
search in there to find a zip file named "rom.zip"(not case sensitive), it would be something between 100-160 MB
Take that "rom.zip" and flash it via CWM

Cup o Joe

Feb 27, 2014
How to you extract the rom from the ruu file? I can't install it through the usb cord so I want to install it using cwm.

Last edited:

Cup o Joe

Feb 27, 2014
fixed

Follow my instructions on the previous post and flash the zip file in CWM

For some reason my last post didn't appear. Anyway, I followed your instructions but the system.img was damaged (download ruu 3 times damaged each time) so I installed everything but system.img through fastboot. Once I had everything flashed but the system, flashing a rom was simple. I installed Cyanogenmod 7.1 via CWM recovery as a recommendation from this thread: "Best rom for canadian wildfire S a510a"
and it worked. View attachment 2606773

oneey3dinjun

Feb 27, 2014
edit 28/2/14 : for tutorial see posts 4 and 7

I had quite a time rooting my Bell a510a as well, I kept getting superuser and CWM force closes and fixing permissions was not helping. Root checkers were just freezing so I decided to try some apps that needed root to check for me instead, none installed so I knew root was not properly configured. I think read thru 20 or so tutorials before I got it rooted. Is there a Bell RUU or is virgin the alternative choice?

Top Liked Posts