[MOD] - Rosie Remaps! Personalize your "Personalize" button--UPDATE UNLIMITED Options

Search This thread

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
[MOD] - Rosie Remaps! Personalize your "Personalize" button--UPDATE UNLIMITED Options

The right soft key on the rosie 'dock' which pulls up the "Personalize" menu is useless and redundant. You can already long click anywhere on the home screen to bring it up, or press Menu --> Personalize. It's just not important enough of a button to warrant a third method of bringing up the drawer!

Well now you have options. I've made many different files to remap it to various common apps, and one general file that can be mapped to any app of your choosing. (Check the image at the bottom of this post to see the corresponding icon changes)

---------------------------------------------------------------

[UPDATE 1.1.11]:
I have been getting many requests for various random apps, and in an effort not to make a hundred different remaps, I have now made one generic one that can be mapped to any application through the use of the an awesome app (made by appelflap) called LaunchKey. He offers 2 versions, one on the market for only ~0.65 cents, and a lite version available on the forum for free here. If you like his work, PLEASE buy the market version, its cheap and we all know you will get tons and tons of use out of it!

How it works: Install the LaunchKey app. Follow instructions below to push my modified Rosie_custom.apk to your phone. Open LaunchKey and use it to select which app to open. When you press the right dock button on my modified rosie.apk it will open whatever app that you have chosen from inside the LaunchKey app. That's it! You can change what application is opened at any time from within LaunchKey with ease!

Note: LaunchKey can also be set to toggle some system functions, or open a quick menu with a list of 8 or so of your favorite apps. The donate version has even more options. Its a really nice app, so seriously buy the donate version in the market :)

Download Rosie_custom.apk here

screenshot_24.png

[Options]:
-Custom to ANY application you wish (you MUST have the LaunchKey app from above installed first)
-Browser
-HTC/Google messaging app
-HTC contacts app
-Gmail
-Gvoice
-Maps
-Gtalk
-Market
-Gallery
-Facebook
-Turn off screen (this one requires the Kill Screen app to work, see my thread here)
-Handcent SMS
-Chomp SMS
-HTC Mail app
-Camera
-XDA app

[Info]:
The original rosie.apk was taken from the Virtuous ROM. It has been confirmed working with ANY Virtuous 0.7.x, 0.8.x and 0.9.x versions.

However, this is the version without the auto-rotate modification. Meaning it only switches to landscape mode when the keyboard is out. I find the auto-rotate too sensitive, as the home screen is always flipping on me when I don't want it too. I may make versions of this with the auto-rotate mods later, if enough people want it.

[How To]:
-Grab the appropriate file that you want (some attached to second post). The names are self explanatory :)
-Save it somewhere on your computer
-Plug your phone into usb
-Reboot into recovery
-Type this in a command prompt
adb shell mount /system
adb shell rm /system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk
adb push [your saved file location]\Rosie_xxxxx.apk /system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk​
-Reboot
-Enjoy

I may make options to open other apps later. For now though, these were the most common requests when I did this mod for the Espresso launcher. If you like it, feel free to donate :D

screenshots.png

screenshots2.png

Attachments

• Rosie_browser.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 703
  • Rosie_contacts.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 349
  • Rosie_gmail.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 129
  • Rosie_gvoice.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
  • Rosie_maps.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 105
  • Rosie_mms.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 320
  • Rosie_gtalk.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Rosie_market.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
More files attached here.

Attachments

• Rosie_gallery.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 84
  • Rosie_facebook.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
  • Rosie_killscreen.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 129
  • Rosie_camera.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 133
  • Rosie_chompsms.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Rosie_handcentsms.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • Rosie_mail.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • Rosie_xda.apk
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

theXeffect

Aug 9, 2009
St.Paul, Minnesota
wow can u add the new market app ....would be da ****z!!!

The right soft key on the rosie 'dock' which pulls up the "Personalize" menu is useless and redundant. You can already long click anywhere on the home screen to bring it up, or press Menu --> Personalize. It's just not important enough of a button to warrant a third method of bringing up the drawer!

Well now you have options. I've made 6 different files to remap it to various common apps. (Check the image at the bottom of this post to see the corresponding icon changes)

[Options]:
-Browser
-HTC messaging app
-HTC contacts app
-Gmail
-Gvoice
-Maps

[Info]:
The original rosie.apk was taken from the Virtuous 0.7.0 ROM. It has been confirmed working with ANY Virtuous 0.7.x version, and the newest Virtuous 0.8.0.

However, this is the version without the auto-rotate modification. Meaning it only switches to landscape mode when the keyboard is out. I find the auto-rotate too sensitive, as the home screen is always flipping on me when I don't want it too. I may make versions of this with the auto-rotate mods later, if enough people want it.

[How To]:
-Grab the appropriate file that you want. The names are self explanatory :)
-Reboot into recovery
adb shell mount /system
adb push [your saved file location]\Rosie_xxxxx.apk /system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk​
-Reboot
-Enjoy

I may make options to open other apps later. For now though, these were the most common requests when I did this mod for the Espresso launcher. If you like it, buy me some OJ :D

all_screenshots.png

Reactions: dadewy

eViL D:

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2006
Nice job man!

If you want to do something as cool, mod the HD music apk for proper rotation on desire. ;)

dadewy

Dec 8, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
The right soft key on the rosie 'dock' which pulls up the "Personalize" menu is useless and redundant. You can already long click anywhere on the home screen to bring it up, or press Menu --> Personalize.

Excellent! I love it.

At the risk of appearing greedy...

Any chance of seeing the app-drawer button get the same treatment? Same rationale: if you need it hit menu and there it is already!

Gmail on the left, phone in the middle and messaging on the right would make me a happy man :D

ddotpatel

Mar 10, 2010
Leeds, UK
Very nice!!! .... any chance of a tut so we can do it ourselves for other ROMS?

Bravo pal.

EDIT..... Follow up project for you,.... re-sizing? Reckon that is possible?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008

Bravo pal.

Would also love to see what files you edited so I can change it to whatever app I want.

acejoker25000

Feb 25, 2009
hickory, n.c.
Would also love to see what files you edited so I can change it to whatever app I want.

You need smali and baksmali to decompile apk or odex then go through the out folder and edit the launcher.smali file and recompile into classes.dex using smali place in apk and done more steps are needed if you have to reodex

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

Reactions: ddotpatel

HAK Devil

Oct 20, 2009
Mississauga
This is great and I followed all the instructions and while the actual button press is working great and getting me to the messaging app the icon itself has not changed from the initial personalize one. Maybe it is because I am using the metal skin?

Edit - Yeah, that seems to be it because the icon is appearing correctly using the default HTC skin. Is there any way to change this because I really like the Metal skin

imblacklife

Nov 3, 2008
New York City
I was waiting for something like this before I flashed another sense rom. You are one great person thanks I will be trying this out after I get home from work :p

dadewy

Dec 8, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Great work...can these mods be done through terminal emulator?

Just copy the appropriate apk to your sdcard using whatever method and then from term:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
cp -f /sdcard/Rosie_gmail.apk /system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk
sync
mount -o ro,remount /system

Remember to change Rosie_gmail.apk to whatever file you are using.

Worked fine for me. The launcher reset itself and all was fine (I had to remove/re-add a widget or two, for some reason, but no biggie).

the1wingedangel

Feb 27, 2009
Glad everyone likes them. More options should be up with in the next hour here, including the requests for market and gtalk.

Nice job man!

If you want to do something as cool, mod the HD music apk for proper rotation on desire. ;)

Don't know if I can pull that off, but I may take a look at it one of these days.

Excellent! I love it.

Any chance of seeing the app-drawer button get the same treatment? Same rationale: if you need it hit menu and there it is already!

Gmail on the left, phone in the middle and messaging on the right would make me a happy man :D

True, but the app drawer only has one other method, vs two. Plus I would figure its used more frequently than the personalize button. But I'll see if I can make a gmail/phone/messaging version when I get a little more time. Just finishing up a few other versions of this and another little project that I have going on which should be up today :D

Bravo pal.

Re-sizing what exactly? I'm not sure what you mean. As for the changes made, see the quote below:

You need smali and baksmali to decompile apk or odex then go through the out folder and edit the launcher.smali file and recompile into classes.dex using smali place in apk and done more steps are needed if you have to reodex

Exactly. Now why do I feel like you followed me here from the espresso forums? ;)

Edit - Yeah, that seems to be it because the icon is appearing correctly using the default HTC skin. Is there any way to change this because I really like the Metal skin

Yes, you need to open up the Metal skin, replace the personalize_on.png and personalize_rest.png images in both the drawable-land-hdpi and drawable-port-hdpi folders with the ones from the rosie_xxxx.apk you installed.

my dxtop, home app does the same thing

That's nice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well now you have options. I've made many different files to remap it to various common apps, and one general file that can be mapped to any app of your choosing. (Check the image at the bottom of this post to see the corresponding icon changes)

[UPDATE 1.1.11]:
    I have been getting many requests for various random apps, and in an effort not to make a hundred different remaps, I have now made one generic one that can be mapped to any application through the use of the an awesome app (made by appelflap) called LaunchKey. He offers 2 versions, one on the market for only ~0.65 cents, and a lite version available on the forum for free here. If you like his work, PLEASE buy the market version, its cheap and we all know you will get tons and tons of use out of it!

How it works: Install the LaunchKey app. Follow instructions below to push my modified Rosie_custom.apk to your phone. Open LaunchKey and use it to select which app to open. When you press the right dock button on my modified rosie.apk it will open whatever app that you have chosen from inside the LaunchKey app. That's it! You can change what application is opened at any time from within LaunchKey with ease!

Note: LaunchKey can also be set to toggle some system functions, or open a quick menu with a list of 8 or so of your favorite apps. The donate version has even more options. Its a really nice app, so seriously buy the donate version in the market :)

Download Rosie_custom.apk here

screenshot_24.png

[Options]:
    -Custom to ANY application you wish (you MUST have the LaunchKey app from above installed first)
    -Browser
    -HTC/Google messaging app
    -HTC contacts app
    -Gmail
    -Gvoice
    -Maps
    -Gtalk
    -Market
    -Gallery
    -Facebook
    -Turn off screen (this one requires the Kill Screen app to work, see my thread here)
    -Handcent SMS
    -Chomp SMS
    -HTC Mail app
    -Camera
    -XDA app

[Info]:
    The original rosie.apk was taken from the Virtuous ROM. It has been confirmed working with ANY Virtuous 0.7.x, 0.8.x and 0.9.x versions.

[How To]:
    -Grab the appropriate file that you want (some attached to second post). The names are self explanatory :)
    -Reboot into recovery
    adb shell mount /system
    -Reboot
    -Enjoy

I may make options to open other apps later. For now though, these were the most common requests when I did this mod for the Espresso launcher. If you like it, feel free to donate :D

screenshots.png

screenshots2.png
    More files attached here.
    Great work...can these mods be done through terminal emulator?

Just copy the appropriate apk to your sdcard using whatever method and then from term:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    cp -f /sdcard/Rosie_gmail.apk /system/app/com.htc.launcher.apk
    sync
    mount -o ro,remount /system

Remember to change Rosie_gmail.apk to whatever file you are using.

Worked fine for me. The launcher reset itself and all was fine (I had to remove/re-add a widget or two, for some reason, but no biggie).
    Glad everyone likes them. More options should be up with in the next hour here, including the requests for market and gtalk.

Nice job man!

Don't know if I can pull that off, but I may take a look at it one of these days.

Excellent! I love it.

True, but the app drawer only has one other method, vs two. Plus I would figure its used more frequently than the personalize button. But I'll see if I can make a gmail/phone/messaging version when I get a little more time. Just finishing up a few other versions of this and another little project that I have going on which should be up today :D

Bravo pal.

Re-sizing what exactly? I'm not sure what you mean. As for the changes made, see the quote below:

Exactly. Now why do I feel like you followed me here from the espresso forums? ;)

Yes, you need to open up the Metal skin, replace the personalize_on.png and personalize_rest.png images in both the drawable-land-hdpi and drawable-port-hdpi folders with the ones from the rosie_xxxx.apk you installed.

my dxtop, home app does the same thing

That's nice
    wow can u add the new market app ....would be da ****z!!!

Well now you have options. I've made 6 different files to remap it to various common apps. (Check the image at the bottom of this post to see the corresponding icon changes)

[Options]:
    -Browser
    -HTC messaging app
    -HTC contacts app
    -Gmail
    -Gvoice
    -Maps

[Info]:
    The original rosie.apk was taken from the Virtuous 0.7.0 ROM. It has been confirmed working with ANY Virtuous 0.7.x version, and the newest Virtuous 0.8.0.

[How To]:
    -Grab the appropriate file that you want. The names are self explanatory :)
    -Reboot into recovery
    adb shell mount /system
    -Reboot
    -Enjoy

I may make options to open other apps later. For now though, these were the most common requests when I did this mod for the Espresso launcher. If you like it, buy me some OJ :D

all_screenshots.png