GT-p6210 ICS released by May 1st

Search This thread

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
so what is the latest news on ics update for the 6210 ? , guessing samsung said no ics love for us ? , or .... just wondering what latest news is ..
There is no news. There were press "leaks" saying we'd get it in the first quarter. That, obviously, didn't happen.

I haven't seen ANY firmware leaks of ICS on this device, and since the above mentioned leaks, I haven't seen any reports of samsung even acknowledging that the tablet still exists. I don't think (but I don't know) there have been any firmware updates at all since Jan 2012. (LAx series.) There is a LC (March 2012) for the Thailand 6200, but that might be only a localized version.

h2g2

Dec 31, 2010
You are a bit confused, I think. The exynos isn't the problem. While samsung hasn't exactly given us full technical documents on it, they added support for it in the mainline linux kernel - publishing enough source. They pretty much HAD to do that, as CPU support in linux can't be done as a module, and therefore must be opensourced in order to run linux at all.

The issue, at least in the case of the 7+, is the wifi chip/driver. It's an atheros 6003 chip. Qualcomm (who owns atheros) released the driver for that under the GPL. Samsung has claimed to me that they (samsung) are licensing it from Atheros under terms that allow them to choose to re-release the driver under either GPL or BSD terms and that they (samsung) are choosing the BSD model (which doesn't require the release of source.) In theory, Qualcomm could FORCE samsung to release the source, but I doubt qualcomm really cares too much. In fact, the module itself as released in binary form in the 7+ firmware (at least up to LA1) actually claims GPL licensing. (Can be verified by using modinfo on ar6000.ko) However, only the copyright holder can enforce the licensing.

A nearly identical situation exists with wpa_supplicant and the intergration between ar6003 and wpa_supplicant. In that case, I know for a fact that the author allows either GPL or BSD terms so wouldn't force the issue.

Those are the only two things I, personally, care about right now. If I had the source for those two parts, I'd be able to not only FIX the wifi issues on the p6210, but also enchance the functionality. I'm also unable to make certain unrelated changes to the kernel, as doing so without being able to recompile the ar6003 driver will render the existing ar6003 non-functional.
I defer to your experience on the issue, but remember that Exynos isn't just a CPU, it's a full SoC. Building support for the CPU just means building support for the Cortex-A9 cores which, licensed from ARM, Samsung has no real proprietary interest in.

The wifi chip, though, hooks in via the PCI Express controller and, based on the datagrams I've seen, is really the only component hanging off the PCI Express controller. The PCI-E controller isn't standard issue on an ARM CPU, AFAIK, so if it's an in-house design, then Samsung does have a proprietary interest in it and would probably have some incentive to keep the source under wraps.

Again, all conjecture and it's largely a moot point. No source = no source and you've illustrated the implications of that quite well.

ex-28

There is no news. There were press "leaks" saying we'd get it in the first quarter. That, obviously, didn't happen.

I haven't seen ANY firmware leaks of ICS on this device, and since the above mentioned leaks, I haven't seen any reports of samsung even acknowledging that the tablet still exists. I don't think (but I don't know) there have been any firmware updates at all since Jan 2012. (LAx series.) There is a LC (March 2012) for the Thailand 6200, but that might be only a localized version.

verry much appreciate the reply , so really samsung isnt saying a thing whether they will or wont or might release it for the 6210 then ?

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
verry much appreciate the reply , so really samsung isnt saying a thing whether they will or wont or might release it for the 6210 then ?
Officially, I haven't heard anything. They leaked (via twitter, facebook, etc) various things including the "first quarter" thing I mentioned earlier. Someone in this (or perhaps another) thread said that samsung's tech support said "in the future."

Note that "in the future" could mean quite a bit of things... it might mean that "it's absolutely coming out eventually", or it might just mean "it hasn't been released yet, and might never be released."

Honestly, though, even if the CEO of Samsung send me a signed letter saying it's coming out tomorrow, I wouldn't believe it until it was loaded on and running on my tablet.

I no longer trust Samsung.

Gary

yaddamean

May 1, 2010
I do like my new Tab plus... its my first Samsung device and it will also be my last. I've always disliked their phones because it just feels cheap and overpriced. Now I have even more reason to dislike Samsung but I will admit I am impressed with the build quality of this device. But that's enough to keep me as a customer when other manucturers have much more to offer as far as support and rom development.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using XDA Premium App

fcorona76

Apr 13, 2012
Why would Peel blame Samsung? From what you described, the hardware is working properly but the functionality to save multiple devices is missing in software.

I think this is what Zadeis is trying to get at with regards to expectations - Peel sounds like it's either broken or not designed to meet your expectations. Either way, it's not something that's going to be addressed by an ICS update.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that the GT7+ doesn't work as advertised. But the proper course of action here is to seek remedy with Samsung, not wait for a software update. When you get a bad meal at a restaurant, you send it back. You don't eat it, then hope dessert will be better.

Apologies if my tone comes off as harsh or unsympathetic, I do not intend to be either, but pinning too many hopes on to an OS update is just setting yourself up for more frustration down the road when it doesn't match your expectations.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

I think you already answered this question in what you meant as a joke earlier... Apple.

Samsung makes Apple's SoCs. GT7+ uses Samsung's own Exynos SoC. I think chances are good that Exynos and the A5 share IP and therefore, Samsung might be withholding the source code because the modifications they've made include IP that is covered by whatever NDA exists between Apple and Samsung.

Yes, Gary, I meant IR, not RF.

h2g2:

Here's my email, copied & pasted, right from Peel support:

Thaddeus, Mar 18 21:42 (PDT):
Hi,
Thanks for contacting Peel and a big thanks in advanced for your patience pertaining to this Galaxy Tablet issue. At this time, there have been issues relating to the way the tablet fires off the IR codes, this IR driver fix is part of Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS update. I wish there was a timeline on when Samsung will release this update but unfortunately there is not, this issue is in Samsung's hands. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, we want you up and running with Peel as much as you do. We will let you know as soon as this update becomes available.
Thanks for your interest in Peel,
Thaddeus
Peel Support

Whatever the reason, they're blaming Samsung and have essetially refused any further support beyond that statement. I don't think my expectations were too high for this feature. I know I wasn't going to get a Harmony remote. I was only expecting to change my channels (and possibly inputs) on the television and control the volume on my reciever. That's it. According to Samsung's literature the SG7+ should have been able to do that without a hitch.

As I mentioned before, my SG7+ is broken already with a defective LCD (I assume) and is being shipped back to Samsung for service this weekend. When I get the replacement I will start back with Samsung on the IR functionallity. At this point it's unlikely I will be able to get my money back so I can either A) wait it out and hope for the best or B) get the replacement unit and immediately try to recoup as much of my money as possible, including the $100+ in accessories I have for this stupid thing.

fewt

Nov 10, 2010
Orlando
www.fuduntu.org
Don't take this the wrong way, I know well the impact of not having the source code. From what I have read, it does seem that Samsung may be violating the GPL by using a GPL'ed driver and claiming a BSD license on it even if the "author" says it is ok.

The code I'm sure doesn't reference any BSD license because the Kernel would probably complain that it was tainted.

That said though, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the device that requires it to have 4.0, or an open firmware?

The only issue I have seen with it so far is that sometimes it shuts down when you put it to sleep.

Just curious is all. :)

fcorona76

Apr 13, 2012
Don't take this the wrong way, I know well the impact of not having the source code. From what I have read, it does seem that Samsung may be violating the GPL by using a GPL'ed driver and claiming a BSD license on it even if the "author" says it is ok.

The code I'm sure doesn't reference any BSD license because the Kernel would probably complain that it was tainted.

That said though, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the device that requires it to have 4.0, or an open firmware?

The only issue I have seen with it so far is that sometimes it shuts down when you put it to sleep.

Just curious is all. :)

For me, it's just what I have listed in the post above. If my tablet would function as it is advertised to then I would be mostly content with Honeycomb. According to Peel support, ICS is the only way to fix their program on the GT7+.

The only thing I really miss from the newest firmware update (LA3) is that Samsung removed the Horizontal calibration utility. Flashing back to the stock firmware (K??) I get that option back but at the cost of some system stability. My GT7+ was horrible, a good 30 degrees off, and it is a necessary utility to have available. I could not find any way to calibrate through any other external application. This is why I signed up here at XDA so I'll leave that question for another dedicated thread....

Last edited:

GTOJim

Aug 12, 2010
SF Bay Area
Google Pixel 6 Pro
As for the Peel app, it doesn't work at all for me. If I try to change channels it turns the TV off, even the volume feature doesn't work etc etc. Exact same problem with two tabs, one was exchanged due to another problem.

I also own a Galaxy S Vibrant phone, ginger bread was never released for this phone. GPS doesn't work properly due to hardware problem. I've had problems with a Samsung Blue Ray player. I swore I would not purchase another Samsung product, but I purchased a Galaxy tab 7.0+ because it was highly rated and read ICS would be released first quarter.

No official ICS release means no Samsung products for me ever again.

danrex

Mar 29, 2012
An official release of ICS isn't important to me. What I want is a device that is easily moddable for stock opensource ICS. Samsung not releasing important bits, e.g. the wifi driver source is a dealbreaker.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

ringnutz

As for the Peel app, it doesn't work at all for me. If I try to change channels it turns the TV off, even the volume feature doesn't work etc etc. Exact same problem with two tabs, one was exchanged due to another problem.

I also own a Galaxy S Vibrant phone, ginger bread was never released for this phone. GPS doesn't work properly due to hardware problem. I've had problems with a Samsung Blue Ray player. I swore I would not purchase another Samsung product, but I purchased a Galaxy tab 7.0+ because it was highly rated and read ICS would be released first quarter.

No official ICS release means no Samsung products for me ever again.

Sounds like that is more of a code problem. I must be one of the lucky ones, haven't had an issue with peel and my Sony TV.

Sent from my myTouch 4g via Tapatalk

amtrakcn

Mar 22, 2010
Madison
There will be loads of complains like this before ICS finally arrives and same amount of praise after that, just like every device.

I myself does not see any impossibility of official ICS. The Galaxy Note has not gotten an official release and some brands like Sony and Moto have not even started rolling out ICS yet. As a happy owner of SGS1 and SGS2 I do believe Samsung in firmware updates.

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The Galaxy Note has not gotten an official release and some brands like Sony and Moto have not even started rolling out ICS yet. As a happy owner of SGS1 and SGS2 I do believe Samsung in firmware updates.
There's a very large difference, however: All the devices you've mentioned have had leaks and/or very official announcements concerning ICS. The 7+ has only been mentioned as an afterthought, and then I don't think it's ever been done officially.

Galaxy Note has had leaks (both in EU form and Chinese form) as well as very official and public announcements and advertisements.

The 7+? Well, it looks like Samsung is putting their efforts into newer devices such as the "tab 2."

Is anyone at samsung actually working on the 7+? I don't think so. If there was even a single developer working full time on this device (with full hardware source), we'd already have ICS. It's not a complex device, and with no GSM/CDMA modems to deal with, development is even easier.

Really, if samsung were to just do a full release of the 6210 source (a FULL release), I wouldn't care if they abandoned us... I'd get more done for the kernel/firmware on this tablet in my spare time than samsung has done in the 6+ months this device has been out.

Combining my efforts with the others on this and other forums would result in a much better device. For those with a device running AOKP or CM9 - imagine our 7+ with ICS. It would be amazing.

Take care
Gary

Reactions: tzacapaca

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
There's a very large difference, however: All the devices you've mentioned have had leaks and/or very official announcements concerning ICS. The 7+ has only been mentioned as an afterthought, and then I don't think it's ever been done officially.

I see this meme perpetuated here over, and over, and over here at XDA, and it is simply untrue. Samsung has released MULTIPLE press releases SPECIFICALLY mentioning the Tab Plus for ICS upgrade.

The official press release is on Samsung Mobile's Facebook. I'd link here, but my post count is too low.

Interesting note here, the data systems team is based where I live... maybe I can poke some contacts there and see if I can get some details.

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I see this meme perpetuated here over, and over, and over here at XDA, and it is simply untrue. Samsung has released MULTIPLE press releases SPECIFICALLY mentioning the Tab Plus for ICS upgrade.

The official press release is on Samsung Mobile's Facebook. I'd link here, but my post count is too low.
Official press releases are NOT done on "facebook", "twitter", etc. Samsung actually has a dedicated section of their website for press releases: http://www.samsung.com/us/news/presskitList.do

The stuff accounced on facebook, twitter, etc is technically just leaks and may or may not have been sanctioned.

h2g2

Dec 31, 2010
h2g2:

Here's my email, copied & pasted, right from Peel support:

Whatever the reason, they're blaming Samsung and have essetially refused any further support beyond that statement. I don't think my expectations were too high for this feature. I know I wasn't going to get a Harmony remote. I was only expecting to change my channels (and possibly inputs) on the television and control the volume on my reciever. That's it. According to Samsung's literature the SG7+ should have been able to do that without a hitch.

As I mentioned before, my SG7+ is broken already with a defective LCD (I assume) and is being shipped back to Samsung for service this weekend. When I get the replacement I will start back with Samsung on the IR functionallity. At this point it's unlikely I will be able to get my money back so I can either A) wait it out and hope for the best or B) get the replacement unit and immediately try to recoup as much of my money as possible, including the $100+ in accessories I have for this stupid thing.

Thanks for sharing that. Good luck dealing with Samsung, I've never dealt with them myself. I suspect that if you're firm but polite and ask that your issue be escalated, you'll get compensated somehow. And if you don't, then at least you'll know exactly what kind of company Samsung is.

Please share your results once you're done. If you can't get satisfaction from them over this, I don't think I want to give them any more of my money in the future as well.

moralmg

Apr 23, 2012
Dont Kill the messenger - Just had a live chat with samsung

here we go,....

"Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640957884X

Simpson: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Good Morning are there any updates on a release date for the ICS upgrade for the Galaxy Tab plus? GT-P6210MA
Visitor: :)
Simpson: I understand that you want to know if there are any update available for ICS for your Tab. Is that correct?
Visitor: yes
Simpson: Thank you for confirming.
Simpson: Would you mind holding for few minutes so that I can get some information?
Simpson: Thank you for holding. I appreciate your time and patience.
Simpson: I am sorry to inform you that a full update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Tab (7-inch) and Galaxy S is not practicable due to hardware limitations. Samsung remains committed to providing the best possible mobile experience to all existing and new customers.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
Simpson: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: ok this is disconcerning
Visitor: Samsung just released a 7 inch tab with ICS
Visitor: with lowers specs than the TAB plus
Simpson: I understand your concern.
Visitor: so no upgrade to ICS
Simpson: But with older model which released earlier they are not compatible.
Simpson: I really sorry to say that.
Visitor: is there going to be an official anouncement for this?
Simpson: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Simpson: As of now there is no official announcement for this.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Visitor: ok... well Im now on the ranks of not happy customers of Samsung.... :(
Visitor: thanks"

:( not happy at all... can someone with official ties confirm?

ringnutz

here we go,....

"Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640957884X

Simpson: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Good Morning are there any updates on a release date for the ICS upgrade for the Galaxy Tab plus? GT-P6210MA
Simpson: I understand that you want to know if there are any update available for ICS for your Tab. Is that correct?
Simpson: Thank you for confirming.
Simpson: Would you mind holding for few minutes so that I can get some information?
Simpson: Thank you for holding. I appreciate your time and patience.
Simpson: I am sorry to inform you that a full update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Tab (7-inch) and Galaxy S is not practicable due to hardware limitations. Samsung remains committed to providing the best possible mobile experience to all existing and new customers.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
Visitor: ok this is disconcerning
Visitor: Samsung just released a 7 inch tab with ICS
Visitor: with lowers specs than the TAB plus
Simpson: I understand your concern.
Visitor: so no upgrade to ICS
Simpson: But with older model which released earlier they are not compatible.
Simpson: I really sorry to say that.
Visitor: is there going to be an official anouncement for this?
Simpson: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Simpson: As of now there is no official announcement for this.
Simpson: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Visitor: ok... well Im now on the ranks of not happy customers of Samsung.... :(
Visitor: thanks"

:( not happy at all... can someone with official ties confirm?

It looks like the support tech thought you were talking about the original galaxy tab as he doesn't mention plus...

Sent from my myTouch 4g via Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just talked to Samsung support, I know it may not be accurate, but..

info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
    info: You are now chatting with 'Smith'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
    info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401002103X
    Smith: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
    Andrew: hi there
    Andrew: I'm hoping you would be able to tell me when we would be able to get ICS for the Tab 7 Plus in the US?
    Smith: I understand that you need the information on the ICS update on the Tab. Am I correct?
    Andrew: yes please
    Andrew: The tab 7 plus to be specific
    Smith: Could you provide me the model number of the Tab?
    Andrew: sure GT-P6210
    Smith: Thank you for the information.
    Smith: I see that the ICS update will be released in a week time, however we do not have the information on the exact date of release, as it is released in batches the update will get on your tab when it will release for your tab model number.
    Andrew: awesome, thank you for the info.
    Smith: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    Andrew: No, that was it. Have a great day!
    Smith: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
    Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Valarie'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640959601X

Valarie: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    Visitor: hi, i have a question about my Galaxy Tab™ 7.0 Plus (Wi-Fi) 16GB. Will it be getting ICS update?
    Valarie: I understand that you want to know if ICS update is available for your Wi-Fi tab. Is that correct?
    Visitor: yes, this is the new 7.0 plus tab that was released in november 2011
    Visitor: not the old 7" tab
    Valarie: Thank you.
    Valarie: I am sorry to inform you that I am not trained on Wi-Fi tab. I will transfer your chat to our dedicated Wi-Fi tab support team.
    Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited Samsung Agent.

You are now chatting with 'Kate'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640959601X

Kate: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
    Kate: I am truly sorry you had to be on hold for so long, but we’ve had an unusually high volume of chats coming in. I’d be happy to help you with any questions you have about our products.
    Visitor: hi, i have a question about my Galaxy Tab™ 7.0 Plus (Wi-Fi) 16GB. Will it be getting ICS update?
    Kate: I understand that you want to know if the Tab will get the ICS update. Is that correct?
    Visitor: correct
    Kate: I'm really sorry as of now we do not have information as when this update will be available but it will be as soon as possible, however you can check for regular updates on Samsung web site under news section.
    Visitor: Do you know if it will be available for this tab ?
    Kate: As of now we do not have the information, so we request you check for regular updates on Samsung web site under news section.
    Visitor: I am not meaning to ask when , just if it is going to happen at all?
    Kate: Yes, the Tab will get the update.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Checkout the last line
    3) Software engineers are very competitive. Professional software engineers hate to be showed up. Period!!! Especially by hobbiest types, no mater how qualified.
    As a professional software engineer with over 20 years in the industry, I disagree. The ones getting paid are usually more laid back than the amateurs. I have my paycheck, resume, and credits - I don't need to prove anything. There are also those in my industry who are only competitive in terms of padding and lying on their resume's.

An amateur, on the other hand, actually CARES about what they are doing. They might do it for themselves, or just a pat on the back. There's no promise of a paycheck, so the ONLY incentive to do a job is to do it well.

Of course, some of us do it both professionally, and as a hobby. We are, well, true engineers.. the geeks of the world.

(before someone flames me for the use of "amateur"; its not a negative term. It's properly defined as: a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons. Most amateurs are actually better than their professional/paid peers.)
    So we have to register now?

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Jamie'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401003593X

Jamie: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus(P6210). I was curious as to when this device will be receiving the Android ICS update.

Jamie: I understand that you want the software upgrade on the phone. Am I correct?

Visitor: This is a tablet, not a phone

Visitor: And I am looking for a timeline for release if possible

Jamie: I am sorry, is it a wi-fi tab?

Visitor: Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Visitor: model GT-P6210

Jamie: I am sorry, as I am untrained in this regard, I will transfer the chat to wi-fi department and they should assist you with the information

Chat Information Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited Samsung Agent.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Steve'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401003593X

Steve: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: Hello

Visitor: I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, model GT-P6210

Steve: Hello.

Visitor: I was curious as to when this device will be receiving the Android ICS update

Visitor: I have had this device for some months now and have been eager to have this upgrade since I purchased this device. I have seen several news reports from Samsung listing my device as eligible for update to ICS "soon", but the information seems vague at best

Steve: I understand that you would like to know when the ICS update will be available for the Tab. Am I correct?

Visitor: Yes, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

Visitor: Model GT-P6210

Visitor: It's a wi-fi only tablet

Steve: Thank you for confirming.

Steve: The update is being forwarded to the devices that have been registered with Samsung. You need to register and wait for the update to be available. You may update once it is available from Apps >> Settings >> About Tablet >> System update.

Visitor: I need to register where?

Steve: You need to register the Tab in Samsung.com web site.

Visitor: I see

Visitor: Is the update only being pushed to registered devices?

Visitor: Now, what if I don't remember the purchase date?

Steve: Yes, you are correct.

Steve: Most relevant date would be enough if not the exact date.

Visitor: Ok, I will do this

Visitor: When is this update releasing?

Steve: I see that it is released and Samsung is providing it in batches to all the registered Tabs.

Visitor: Oh really now

Visitor: and this is for my GT-P6210 correct?

Steve: Yes, you are correct.

Visitor: where it askes for the HEX/IMEI number, does that mean Serial number?

Steve: IMEI is available only for Tabs with carrier service. As this is a Wi-Fi tab only the serial number and model code are enough.

Visitor: The Register page doesn't ask for model

Visitor: or Serial...

Visitor: it asks for IMEI/Hex

Steve: You may input serial number in the IMEI field.

Visitor: So if I don't register my device, will I not receive the update?

Steve: It might be available outside through Android market on a later date. As of now Samsung is providing the update for the registered Tabs only.

Visitor: alright, I just registered my device. When is the last of these batches set to go out?

Visitor: when should I expect to have my update ready?

Steve: I am sorry; As of now we do not have information on how many devices have been updated. The update should be available soon. Please check the About Tablet for the update when it is available.

Visitor: The issue here is I see the word "soon" whenever I inquire as to the release of ICS

Visitor: "soon" isn't a date

Visitor: or a time

Visitor: it's a cop out

Steve: I am sorry; It is not possible to provide the exact date and time as it is handled by Samsung directly through servers. It might delay sometimes due to many problems. I request you to be patient as you will definitely receive the update.

Visitor: I understand you can't give me an exact date. But does Samsung really intend to provide no timeline and a simple "You'll get it when you do" as the answer?

Visitor: I mean can I expect it within the next week?

Visitor: the next two?

Steve: Yes, you may get the update within 1-2 weeks.

Visitor: Ah, so there was more info

Visitor: Thank you sir, I appreciate the help.

Visitor: I will contact you again in two weeks time if I don't yet have my ICS update

Steve: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Visitor: No, that is all. Thank you

Steve: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
    Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Chat Information Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
    I'm not at all angry. I also own an Asus Transformer which had ICS released quickly. The software is a disaster, there is no way to go back to Honeycomb, and the end result is that many of these tablets have gone from being reliable products to total pieces of junk. Many of the people in the XDA Transformer forum who were whining about not having ICS are now screaming to get a stable version of HC back. If you want to see a real disaster of what happens when software is released when it's half baked just take a look at the XDA Transformer forum.