[Live Wallpaper] Asus MyWater Reworked w/ tutorial (no root required)

Search This thread

spyroledragon

Sep 17, 2008
Are you comfortable editing the smali disassembly?

It isn't too difficult to adjust the position of the 'ice cube' relative to the surface of the water while increasing the size of the 'ice cube' image. I'll have to see if I can dig up the necessary edits to point you in the right direction.

I totaly suck at coding even though I learnt it a while ago, please give me a detailed tutorial including disasembly how to or else I'll never make it :) Also I think everyone would benefit from such tutorial.

erichkooi

Nov 10, 2008
Hi jschmier,
Working great on HTC One X, thank you.
Do you have original Asus MyWater beside these 2 below?

MyWaterBWDark.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.22 MB, 202 views)
BeerWithLime.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.70 MB, 96 views)

Thank you again.

Last edited:

spyroledragon

Sep 17, 2008
Seems Jschmier is pretty busy at the moment.

I've converted two of his designs for the galaxy nexus and other ICS phones.

Orange juice and Martini.

Description shows the following message : "Concept by Asus, design by Jschmier" in respect to the original makers of those.

Tonight (France time) I'll try to make the original Asus water, stay tuned.

Attachments

• Martini.apk
    326.2 KB · Views: 246
  • orangejuice.apk
    579.6 KB · Views: 249

spyroledragon

Sep 17, 2008
Asus mywater original design, reworked for ICS compatibility.

Special note for Jschmier : when you'll create a new topic for ICS versions of those wallpaper, feel free to put those I made as well. The more of those we offer ICS users the best :)

No need to put my name or anything, it's public domain as far as I'm concerned :)

Attachments

• Asus_Mywater.apk
    812.5 KB · Views: 620

erichkooi

Nov 10, 2008
Hi spyroledragon,
Your original ASus mywater is not working on ics.

Edit: sorry it is working fine, my mistake.

Last edited:

spyroledragon

Sep 17, 2008
Lemon Cola

How come nobody did that before ?

Well fear not my friends, my name is nobody.

1335484973-Image1.jpg

Enjoy.

Attachments

• LemonCola.apk
    972.8 KB · Views: 299

spyroledragon

Sep 17, 2008
Ok I shown the cola theme to my wife she said "wow, nice, iced lemon tea !" (sigh)

So here's a darker version of the cola. Seems some screens are okay with the brighter one, so it's up to you.

I've also reworked the bubbles at the surface.

Attachments

• colalemon.apk
    992.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Kameo

Jul 17, 2010
Moto G
Redmi Note 2
Awesome, since i've switched to ICS, i was kinda disappointed that they didn't work.
Great news to see that they run now smooth on my Hannspad with Android v4.0.4 :D

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks!
Using on my xperia play!
Any other awesome things like these that I'm missing out on? (not just for my play)
Sent from my R800i using XDA

Last edited:

theGman911

Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys,

Great work on these wallpapers. One problem I have run into....

On ICS, specifically my wife's brand new Galaxy tab 2 (7") the ICS versions of these wallpapers keep the table awake 100% of the time while in standby. It took me 3 days to figure out what was gobbling the battery up, until I narrowed it down to the wallpaper.

I used the "better battery stats" app and discovered that the tablet would not enter deep sleep with any of these wallpapers running (100% awake the whole time). The minute I would switch to one of the built in live wallpapers and let it sit for a few hours, the tablet would be in deep sleep the whole time.

Any idea why this may be happening? I know it sounds crazy that a live wallpaper could keep a device awake, but I am very familiar with android and have confirmed this is indeed hapenningwith these wallpapers..

Any way to track down the problem and edit the code to fix them, or does someone else want to try to duplicate what I have found?

Thx a lot!!

aleifuu

Oct 2, 2008
I've been wanting to apply this beautiful my water live wallpaper on my long awaited samsung 7.7

Now that I've had it on my hand, this is one of the first. Apk that i try to play with. Seeing how it's compatible with other android tablets and phones, i thought this would be one easy install

It turned out to be an easy install indeed, however when I apply this live wallpaper on the ice tube stays at the bottom of the screen and doesnt move as I move my tablet. I tried to go under setting, but cant really find any parameters that should have been set

Am i missing something ?

Samsung 7.7 is honeycombed and no rooted yet
I tried My_Water_signed.apk and some of its gorgeous variant beer lime, the duck etc, but they all behave similarly

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda app-developers app

jschmier

May 8, 2011
I've been wanting to apply this beautiful my water live wallpaper on my long awaited samsung 7.7

Now that I've had it on my hand, this is one of the first. Apk that i try to play with. Seeing how it's compatible with other android tablets and phones, i thought this would be one easy install

It turned out to be an easy install indeed, however when I apply this live wallpaper on the ice tube stays at the bottom of the screen and doesnt move as I move my tablet. I tried to go under setting, but cant really find any parameters that should have been set

Am i missing something ?

Samsung 7.7 is honeycombed and no rooted yet
I tried My_Water_signed.apk and some of its gorgeous variant beer lime, the duck etc, but they all behave similarly

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda app-developers app

What is your battery level like? The water's surface follows the battery level and will rise/fall accordingly.

Sorry I've been away from the forums for so long. I haven't been able to find any time to devote to my Android development efforts in months.

aleifuu

Oct 2, 2008
Batteru's level is about 70-80%, it's pretty much filled with water and float as it should when you've got the live wallpaper preview

Once you set the wallpaper on, then the ice tube stays at the bottom of the screen

I've got other 7" inch tablet, chinese's ainol tablet. they run on ICS and the reworked my water for ICS version also doesnt see the cube floating ( fixated at the bottom of the screen )

Is it because of different resolution ?
From older post, it seems to be working alright applied on phone screen

jschmier

May 8, 2011
Batteru's level is about 70-80%, it's pretty much filled with water and float as it should when you've got the live wallpaper preview

Once you set the wallpaper on, then the ice tube stays at the bottom of the screen

I've got other 7" inch tablet, chinese's ainol tablet. they run on ICS and the reworked my water for ICS version also doesnt see the cube floating ( fixated at the bottom of the screen )

Is it because of different resolution ?
From older post, it seems to be working alright applied on phone screen

I'm not really sure what to make of this at the moment. If it works correctly in the live preview, it should be have the same once applied. At least this has been my experience.

aleifuu

Oct 2, 2008
LOL. don't know what happened but now it works perfectly on my tab 7.7

I think I either:
1) re-apply the live wallpaper
or
2) change to some static wallpaper then apply the live wallpaper once again

Animation works wonder, it rotate as the tablet is rotated and the water bubble slowly rising up when it's charging

Not quite the same story with my ICS Ainol 7" Aurora II. The water animation rise up to the correct battery level but it just froze, so it looks like a still wallpaper
( I applied the My Water B&W for ICS version )

Will try different version and see how this fares up

Great work though. This is gotta be one of the best live wallpaper around

FrontRowJoe

Jul 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I altered jschmier's fantastic Rubber Duckie (great work, btw) to include a little more subtle tile background. I think it's a bit easier on the eyes. Works great on my Acer Iconia a510 and Galaxy Nexus.

Attachments

• RubbyDuckie_v1.1_edit_signed.apk
    3 MB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_2012.jpg
    Screenshot_2012.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 400

dingbatt

Jul 17, 2010
I have searched this subject but can't find the specific wallpaper I am after. So I apologise for my poor search skills if it is already here.

I have used the 'Tux' LWP that the OP originally generated on both my Desire HD and my TF101. As much as anything as a salute to Android's Linux roots (beginnings not admin access :/). Now that my TF is running ICS and I have an HTC One X I have kinda missed having the little guy floating on his iceberg on my screen. At the moment I am running MyWaterII on the TF and I have just downloaded the excellent RubberDucky and ICS&Milk ICS versions for use on my One X.
Producing an ICS compatible version of 'Tux' is well beyond my skills. Is anyone that has achieved success with the other ICS versions able to do the same for Tux?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As I mentioned in another thread, I was intrigued by Ruvort's modifications to the Asus MyWater live wallpaper over at xoomforums.com and some of the work from similar xda developers threads here and here.

The most common issue with using these modified live wallpapers is that they simply replace the default Asus MyWater live wallpaper, which limits you to having one at a time and causes additional difficulties for Transformer owners since the Asus MyWater live wallpaper is a system application. I have been in contact with Ruvort and plan on working with him to re-release his live wallpapers with the necessary adjustments so that they can all coexist and multiple flavors can be installed at the same time; even on non-rooted tablets.

These reworked MyWater live wallpapers are my initial step into the arena of editing APK files. They can be installed and uninstalled like any other application, however allowing installation of non-Market applications is required. I should note that in order to prove out some edits I made to the smali disassembly files, I adapted Ruvort's excellent work for the beer w/ lime wallpaper and I hijacked his idea for the ducky wallpaper.

Update: On a whim, I decided to check the alignment of the APK files using zipalign. I found that the resources in the wallpapers needed adjustment, so I have corrected the alignment for all the attached wallpapers. If you downloaded and installed any wallpaper from this post prior to June 24th 2011, I recommend replacing with an optimized version.

Update 2: It has been discovered that these live wallpapers have issues when running on ICS. I am aware of the issues and have been working toward a solution (one recent attempt here). While workarounds have been reported, I have not tried any of them myself and prefer to address the problem at its source. Once I am confident that I have things working correctly, I intend on starting a new thread to feature the updated, ICS-friendly designs. Stay tuned...

Beer w/ Lime
    BBr8T.png

Jolly Roger
    7deYU.png

Rubber Duckie (original v1.0)
    Y9oS5.png

Rubber Duckie (updated to v1.1 14th June 2011 - original still available)
    PZkFX.png

Loch Ness Monster (added 12th June 2011)
    hprKG.png

Honeycomb (added 14th June 2011)
    sIutN.png

Tux (added 20th June 2011)
    X7vxR.png

Note: There are additional wallpapers attached to subsequent thread posts.
    Creating the Reworked MyWater Wallpapers

The following is an overview of the process I followed in creating the live wallpapers found in the first post. These instructions are intended to serve as a guide to those interested in creating their own modifications.

Prerequisites
    • Asus MyWater APK (you can grab a copy here)
    • android-apktool - tool for reengineering Android apk files (here)
    • roptipng - modification to OptiPNG PNG optimizer (here)
    • SignApk.jar - (Google search)
    • zipalign - archive alignment tool (included in Android SDK)

Step 1 - Decoding the APK
    Using apktool, decode the APK to retrieve the resources into nearly original form. In this example, the decoded files are placed in a directory called MyWaterDir.
    Code:
    apktool decode MyWater.apk MyWaterDir

Step 2 - Modifying the package name
    The package name is a unique identifier used by Android to manage the installed applications. The easiest package name modification simply involves changing all instances of asus to another unique identifier.

Using your favorite editor (I like gVim), modify the package name found in MyWaterDir/AndroidManifest.xml (com.asus.livewallpaper) and MyWaterDir/res/xml/glwallpaper.xml (com.asus.livewallpaper.gl.MyWaterSettings). There are only 2 instances of the package name in the XML files.

The package name is also embedded in the smali disassembly files (MyWaterDir/smali/com/asus/livewallpaper/gl/*.smali). In all, there are 1791 instances of the package name in the smali files that must be updated. My recommendation is to find an editor that makes it easy to perform a global search and replace.

The package name must also match the folder hierarchy under the smali folder (MyWaterDir/smali/com/asus/livewallpaper/gl/). Change the name of the asus folder to match the new unique identifier selected for the application.

Step 3 - Update the application name and settings text
    Using your favorite editor, modify the text found in MyWaterDir/res/values/strings.xml. Rather than worry about translations for my updated text, I chose to remove all but the default by deleting the MyWaterDir/res/values-XX folders (keep values-large).

Step 4 - Update the image resources
    The image resources are found in MyWaterDir/res/drawable-mdpi. You can modify these images or use your own. For the purpose of this tutorial there is a requirement that they maintain the original file naming scheme. It is also important to note that if you provide an image with different dimensions, it will be scaled to match the dimensions of the original image. Modifications to the smali disassembly files are required to overcome this limitation.

As an optional step, you can optimize the PNG image resources to reduce their size.
    Code:
    roptipng -o7 MyWaterDir/res/drawable-mdpi/*.png

Step 5 - Build the APK
    Now that the desired modifications have been made, build the APK using apktool.
    Code:
    apktool build MyWaterDir MyWaterModified_unsigned.apk

Step 6 - Sign the APK
    The Android system requires that all installed applications be digitally signed with a certificate whose private key is held by the application's developer. I followed the instructions found here or here for generating my keys and using them to sign the APK. It should also be possible to sign the APK using the approach recommended at developer.android.com.
    Code:
    java -jar signapk.jar certificate.pem key.pk8 MyWaterModified_unsigned.apk MyWaterModified_signed.apk

Step 7 - Zipalign the APK
    Zipalign the APK to optimize the way it is packaged in order to enable the Android operating system to interact with the application more efficiently. The benefit of this step is a reduction in the amount of RAM consumed when running the application.
    Code:
    zipalign -f -v 4 MyWaterModified_signed.apk MyWaterModified.apk

The truly adventurous can take a stab at modifying the smali disassembly prior to building the APK. The syntax is a bit difficult to follow at first, but with proper modifications you can adjust the image dimensions, rendering locations, and much more. I found it useful to pull the classes.dex file from the APK, convert it from .dex to .class format using dex2jar, and then browse the reconstructed source using JD-GUI. It is important to remember that the reconstructed source is not a 100% match to the original source code. However, it is useful for comparing against and understanding the corresponding smali source.

I hope some of you find this information useful. If so, be sure to say thanks via the button below.
    1024x600 Wallpapers

After several requests, I adjusted a few of the wallpapers to work better on 1024x600 displays. I have not actually tested these on a device with a 1024x600 display, so please report any issues.

These are basically the 480x800 phone versions I had created with a larger 1024x1024 background image. I based these on the phone reworks on the premise that devices with that particular display resolution typically have less memory available and the phone reworks have resources that are more reduced and optimized than their 1280x800 counterparts.

I don't have as much time these days to dedicate to these efforts, so I can't say when any additional works may be available. I hope some of you find these useful. If so, be sure to say thanks via the button below.
    ICS-friendly

I have completed another attempt at getting a wallpaper working 100% correctly for ICS devices; including the Galaxy Nexus. It is the B&W dark wallpaper again because it took the least effort to modify from my previous attempt.

I still intend on starting a new thread for the ICS-friendly reworked wallpapers, but I wanted to have at least 2 verified designs done and confirmed to be working correctly first. Since the 'Beer With Lime' variant is one of the more popular designs, I reworked it as the second design and attached it to this post.

I tested both on my TF101 w/ ICS (stock rooted) and didn't see any immediate issues.
    I've made a few black and white versions of the original Asus My Water wallpaper that I thought I'd share.