[Q] How fast does it the charging dock actually charge?

Search This thread

xAjCx

Sep 24, 2013
HB/LBC
www.google.com
From my experience with Sony's charging dock on the Tablet Z, I found that it charged quite slowly as compared to a usb connected charge. I would see an overnight charge which is roughly 8 hours to only charge 30% to 85% whereas a direct usb charge would give a full charge within an hour and a half. Just wondering cause I've ordered the Z2 and hoped that the dock wouldn't be such a bad experience cause I don't want to bother with the flaps unless I have to.

kjhughes

Jun 14, 2008
I picked up a generic dock from Amazon. Seems to be 'straight through' connections, so chargers as fast as the charger will allow...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
From my experience with Sony's charging dock on the Tablet Z, I found that it charged quite slowly as compared to a usb connected charge. I would see an overnight charge which is roughly 8 hours to only charge 30% to 85% whereas a direct usb charge would give a full charge within an hour and a half. Just wondering cause I've ordered the Z2 and hoped that the dock wouldn't be such a bad experience cause I don't want to bother with the flaps unless I have to.

About 2 hours or so from 20% to full. Full speed.

lovemyram4x4

Jun 4, 2008
The magnetic charging port is definitely slower but mine still charges in a few hours on the dock next to my bed(not sure how many amps the wall adapter is). In my car it seems about the same off the 2 amp charger(so I assume the other is only 1-1.5 amp) with much heavier drain(bright screen, BT streaming, navigation, etc.).

Sent from my D6503 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

stunno

Dec 10, 2005
Just outside the Smog
A lot will depend on the quality of the cable as well. I have the no name dock from amazon and it is slow to charge with the supplied short cable but very quick with the Sony one

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

shaf46

May 15, 2014
Port louis
It depends on the charger and the cable, to charge a 3200 MAH battery for the z2
a minimum 2 amp charger and 38 pin cable is definitely a must !

Pesetio

May 7, 2014
My magnetic charging port charges at a rate of 1% every 1 1/2 mins, 2 1/2 hours for full charge according to my battery stats which seem about right.

pr8vHAm.png

Reactions: xAjCx

xAjCx

Sep 24, 2013
HB/LBC
www.google.com
Thanks for all the replies guys, I just can't wait to get the phone. I've been on the fence with it for some time now between the Z2 and the S5 (now the S5 Active that just came out). I just wanted a change and the two devices kinda broke even with specs and reviews for me. :highfive:

Haldi4803

Ookay... I just connected the Mulitmeter between smartphone and dock (it's a hassle.... Hacked USB cable would be nice....)

The official Sony wallcharger (1.5A) is charging the dock and Smartphone with 800-850mA.

I tried Doomkernels Fastcharge and forced constant AC =roughly 1300mA.
Strangly when I set it to 1500 or 2000 in Faux app it falls back to 800mA.

The battery was 85% charged when I made those tests.

feis

Dec 30, 2008
Ookay... I just connected the Mulitmeter between smartphone and dock (it's a hassle.... Hacked USB cable would be nice....)

The official Sony wallcharger (1.5A) is charging the dock and Smartphone with 800-850mA.

I tried Doomkernels Fastcharge and forced constant AC =roughly 1300mA.
Strangly when I set it to 1500 or 2000 in Faux app it falls back to 800mA.

The battery was 85% charged when I made those tests.

I thought fastcharge applied only to micro usb port

sarobi

Apr 29, 2013
Yesterday I got a non original docking station from Amazon.de (€9,40 + delivery costs) - from 42% to 95% chargin time was 1h55min.

Haldi4803

Yeah,,,, so.... i made a reallife test!

Set FauxApp to "Constant AC" in FastCharge options.

Screenshot_2014-06-21-09-04-30.png

in 5 hours it charged 16% xD 3.2% Per hour.

Then after that i set to "Custom" 1200mA
Screenshot_2014-06-21-13-37-13.png

Charged from 76% to 100% in 3.5hours

tonight i'm trying to empty the phone (Unreal Epic Citadel might be a good idea, or maybe GFXbenchmark Battery Test....) and set to Custom 1500mAh and see what happens.

Haldi4803

So.... anyone has one of those QuickCharge 2.0 Adapters Mentioned here ?
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

i wonder if it would charge faster than the Sony 1.5A charger.

edit:
Phew... dem chargers! 18W and 30W editions!
5V 4A
9V 2.2A
12V 2.5A
20V 1A

Quick charge 2.0 does only use 9V sporadically doesn't it ?

Edit2: and 9V 4A .... wow
Noir-brillant-eu.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My magnetic charging port charges at a rate of 1% every 1 1/2 mins, 2 1/2 hours for full charge according to my battery stats which seem about right.

pr8vHAm.png
    I'm planning to buy a quick charger for my Z3. Maybe i'll buy this one. I just want to know, what cable should i use? or will the default cable of the Z3 would enable quick charge? Here is the charger i'm planning to buy. Is quick charge cable dependent as well? can't find any post about the cables.

It doesnt matter the brand of charger. I built my own charger station. A i got a 12v power supply and 12 to 5.75v 30 watt refucers. Its good for 6amps. I cant pump more than 5,75 volts without the phone charging circuit shutting down. The only thing I can't figure out is the two data cables. I have them shorted together in the most I can get out of it is 1.6 amps. I don't know if or what voltage is those wires need to be to pass the 1.6 threshold. For instance my samsung tab likes to see 1.2 volts at the two data cables to activate fast charge. If not it wont charge at full rate. With the two cables together it only pulls about one amp. if you guys could figure out what the data cables voltage requirements are I'd like to see if we can pass 1.6 amps. 5.75 volts is the most I can pump into the phone safely without overheating it and causing the charging to shut down. What basically happens is if you pass that the phone literally stops charging and no matter what you do it will refuse a charge. Over time that will reset and then you can continue charging. Also found I get the same charge rate over USB and over the charging port on the side of the phone.