Nexus 4 Video playback is pixelated

Search This thread

thufz

Apr 25, 2010
ive recently realised that when i play videos on my nexus 4 majority of the video is pixelated. which makes any movie or anyting completely useless to watch.

at first i thought maybe its the video file. so I tried it on my Xperia T, but it was fine no pixelation whatsoever. I tried it on my pc, no pixelation. I tried it on my ps3 and ps vita again no pixelation. Also BTW its not just a specific video file, anything i try to watch on the nexus 4 goes pixelated through majority of the video.

Then I thought that maybe its the media player that im using on the phone. it wasn't. i tried MX player, vlc for andriod, ES player and even the default video player. same thing on all of them; it pixelates in exactly the same places.

something that i also noticed is that on MX player when i play the video it doesn't play using the HW decoder only HW+ and SW, which is even more mind boggling because on my Xperia T it plays fine on HW.

can someone please help me with this. i would like to avoid factory resetting the phone if possible but if all else fails i may have to do it.
any help is appreciated.
THANKS