SMS Error - Cause Code: 34, Error Class: 2

Search This thread

totalanonymity

Mar 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Called tech support. They've no idea what it is.
Went into Sprint and had techs assess it. No idea. Manager has never seen code.
Switched ROMs from CM 7.0.2.1 to MikG to see if ROM was affecting it. Nope.

Unable to send/receive SMS and make/receive calls. Data fully functional in all aspects (1x, 3G, 4G, GPS, WiFi).

Intermittent issues yesterday. Can't do any SMS or calling period today.

Any idea?

D

DDiaz007

Called tech support. They've no idea what it is.
Went into Sprint and had techs assess it. No idea. Manager has never seen code.
Switched ROMs from CM 7.0.2.1 to MikG to see if ROM was affecting it. Nope.

Unable to send/receive SMS and make/receive calls. Data fully functional in all aspects (1x, 3G, 4G, GPS, WiFi).

Intermittent issues yesterday. Can't do any SMS or calling period today.

Any idea?

What were you doing prior to this happening?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

totalanonymity

Mar 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I was doing nothing prior to it. Business as usual. Same locations I'm always at, same amount of text messaging, same people I contact as usual. It came out of nowhere and came to stay, sadly.

D

DDiaz007

I was doing nothing prior to it. Business as usual. Same locations I'm always at, same amount of text messaging, same people I contact as usual. It came out of nowhere and came to stay, sadly.

You say you switched ROMs? So I would assume you wiped everything.

Which would be

System/Data
Dalvik
Cache
Boot
Android Secure
And everything else besides ext partition and your SD right?

Now let's trouble shoot this problem. Have you tried installing an OTA ROM? If not, wipe your phone completely and install an OTA rooted Rom.

As you are doing this, I will research on this problem.

D

DDiaz007

Also have you attempted reprogramming your phone? I remember someone having this problem a long time ago and someone suggested dialing *228

Found the article. The number is indeed *228, but this was for the Droid Eris, so a different carrier. But dialing *228 fixed the problem.

Ignore the previously mentioned. It seems it may be for Verizon only.

EDIT#2
Good god I just read you can't make phone calls. So before we start messing with these codes, have you updated radios at all? If not, try to do so after doing the first step I requested you to do.

EDIT#3

This seems to have to do with your phones provisioning. Try provisioning your phone, it seems that has worked for others whom have had the problem.
To do this you will need to call sprint to do the provisioning process. So if wiping your phone does not work along with reinstalling a rooted OTA, try this.

Last edited:

totalanonymity

Mar 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
@DDiaz007:

I had not installed an OTA ROM and I had read elsewhere about the *228 code and was quite sad when it was for Verizon only, considering those people were having the precise errors I was having.

I ended up calling into Advanced Tech at Sprint as per someone's advice in the IRC for Evo. Forgot the guy's name, wish I could give him credit here.

Solution was:

##231465#
Edit Mode
MDN: Should be current phone number. If not, correct it.
MSID: Should be number AT will tell you you should have. If not, correct it to such. If it already is, change number to some other 10-digit number, commit modifications. Reenter this edit mode by same means and change back to number AT said it should be, commit modifications. It required a reboot for me to acquire service again after changing that number and changing it back, but both SMS and voice now work flawlessly for me. Hell, maybe faster than before!

Thank you for your continued persistence in helping me solve my problem, though. I really appreciate it.

D

DDiaz007

@DDiaz007:

I had not installed an OTA ROM and I had read elsewhere about the *228 code and was quite sad when it was for Verizon only, considering those people were having the precise errors I was having.

I ended up calling into Advanced Tech at Sprint as per someone's advice in the IRC for Evo. Forgot the guy's name, wish I could give him credit here.

Solution was:

##231465#
Edit Mode
MSID: Should be number AT will tell you you should have. If not, correct it to such. If it already is, change number to some other 10-digit number, commit modifications. Reenter this edit mode by same means and change back to number AT said it should be, commit modifications. It required a reboot for me to acquire service again after changing that number and changing it back, but both SMS and voice now work flawlessly for me. Hell, maybe faster than before!

Thank you for your continued persistence in helping me solve my problem, though. I really appreciate it.

Man that is good to know. I was going to get ready and post a bunch of programming codes for the Evo, but you solved your problem. Very good!

digitaldrugz

Sep 6, 2011
i am still having this issue and the mdn and msid are fine. anybody find anything else about this? this only start happening to me when i flashed bliss. other roms are fine.

LuvThyMetal

Dec 6, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
@DDiaz007:

Solution was:

##231465#
Edit Mode

I been having this same issue for a few days already. What do you mean by Edit mode?

musicalstory20

Oct 2, 2011
Hello I am that same problem on my EVO 4G but all things work and data work Its just keep saying SMS ERROR something 34 and code 2 and this occured after i downloaded the blaze beta 4 rom. I am new to this phone tech stuff and do not want to make things worst on phone. I will be waiting for someones help and thanks...

Griwka_od

Mar 24, 2010
I got the same problem about 2 weeks ago. Short sms sends good, but then sms length not suited in one message, this cause error. Solution i still has not found.

I tried to get into service mode by code? wrote upper, but no menu appeared.

bizkitlimped

Jun 20, 2011
Bump for a solution for this problem...

I am currently running the fresh rom 4.3.3 by flipz and constantly receiving this message. I have tried resetting the phone...doing a full wipe of the phone and doing a clean install of the rom.

This problem Also occured on the Team Nocturnal's 4.67 OTA Rom with the updated radios and updated OTA kernel...I have recently gotten an Airave howver, this problem was happening about 2 weeks prior to getting my Airave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...