[Q] HTC One - Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card

Search This thread

Yotam.B

Aug 7, 2007
Hey,

I purchased the Swiftkey.
after the update to 4.4.2 it stopped working and after reinstalling He wrote me a message that the installation failed.

Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card

I have searched all over the internet and found two possible solutions, which don't work. These solutions were:
  • Unmount the SD card. Install app, remount the SD card. This won't work as the HTC One does not have an SD card
  • In the secure/asec folder, find and delete "smdl2tmp1.asec". Although I found the folder, it was empty and therefore I was unable to delete the file.

*Before update Swiftkey is worked.

Last edited:

legobane

Dec 17, 2013
This same thing is happening to me on my One with 4.4.2, none of my purchased apps installed before the update appear and I can't reinstall any of them. Tried both of those, didn't work.
Hey,

I purchased the Swiftkey.
after the update to 4.4.2 it stopped working and after reinstalling He wrote me a message that the installation failed.

I have searched all over the internet and found two possible solutions, which don't work. These solutions were:
  • Unmount the SD card. Install app, remount the SD card. This won't work as the HTC One does not have an SD card
  • In the secure/asec folder, find and delete "smdl2tmp1.asec". Although I found the folder, it was empty and therefore I was unable to delete the file.

*Before update Swiftkey is worked.

danbryan80

Jun 29, 2010
Same thing is happening with my HTC one Google play edition 4.4.2.

I did a mass install from the playstore, and all of a sudden i start getting flooded with "Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card" errors. I looked for the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file and had no luck finding it.

a df of the system shows free space on all partitions: http://i.imgur.com/4IiVLjy.png

I was able to 'adb install rootexplorer.apk' and it was successfull, but the update from the playstore gives the above error.

Yotam.B

Aug 7, 2007
I did not understand, you can find the file smdl2tmp1.asec?
And what command you noted in the screenshot you attached?

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
I'm having the same issue. Updated HTC One GPE to 4.4.2 and noticed that some of my apps were missing. I tried to download again from the Play Store, only to receive the "Couldn't Install on USB Storage or SD Card" error message popup.

danbryan80

Jun 29, 2010
For what it's worth.. I switched to CM 11 4.2.2 (nightlies) and the storage error went away. I would still love to know whats causing the error in the Google play edition rom.

artmunkie

Oct 19, 2012
West Palm Beach
I posted this in another thread but I figured I would repeat it here since there seems to be a lot of people having this problem.

I had tried all of the methods on the web to fix it but none of them applied to the HTC One. The only way I was able to get rid of the error was to flash the 4.4.2 update using the stock recovery. I had tried with TWRP three times but everytime I kept getting that error message with a bunch of my apps.

big_kitch

Feb 27, 2011
I posted this in another thread but I figured I would repeat it here since there seems to be a lot of people having this problem.

I had tried all of the methods on the web to fix it but none of them applied to the HTC One. The only way I was able to get rid of the error was to flash the 4.4.2 update using the stock recovery. I had tried with TWRP three times but everytime I kept getting that error message with a bunch of my apps.

Yes there seem to be two threads running on this. I have the same problem that I posted on the other thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48618286

I too have TWRP so I wonder if it is related to that?

Nick

danbryan80

Jun 29, 2010
Update: I was flashed sinlessrom (Google play edidtion 4.2.2) with TWRP, and ran into 0 storage issues. It sounds like it's not related to 4.2.2 directly, but maybe the 4.2.2 OTA update bundled by HTC?

kampa133

Feb 24, 2014
same problem

Just like the first post i bought swiftkey that worked on 4.4 and after the OTA 4.4.2 i can not install it anymore.

Now I want to install threema and it's the same...

can some one verify that it has something to do with apps we bought?

i bought another app... same issue

playstore cache wiped
dalvik wiped
cache wiped

can not find smdl2tmp1.asec which was mentioned in many boards

image: d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840639568.png

Last edited:

Danny201281

Just like the first post i bought swiftkey that worked on 4.4 and after the OTA 4.4.2 i can not install it anymore.

Now I want to install threema and it's the same...

can some one verify that it has something to do with apps we bought?

i bought another app... same issue

playstore cache wiped
dalvik wiped
cache wiped

can not find smdl2tmp1.asec which was mentioned in many boards

image: d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/840639568.png
I had this same problem it effected all my paid apps. I couldn't install on sd card or internal storage from play store, I could restore them from titanium backup but then updates would fail with the same error.

interestingly it didn't happen to me when I updated to ARHD 4.2.2 custom Rom. But a month or so later when my carrier released their 4.2.2 OTA. Which I extracted firmware.zip. from and flashed manually. So maybe it's a firmware issue.

I can't say exactly what fixed it but after trying the usual clearing caches, uninstalling play store updates etc. I decided to do a full wipe. After making a backup with twrp 2.6.3.3 and backup of internal storage to my pc i wiped everything all partitions including internal storage.

Then connected usb in recovery and

unmount all partitions with twrp menu

adb shell

e2fsck -fvy /dev/block/mmcblk0p35

To ensure there were no partition errors on my internal storage. Then adb push and reflashed ARHD clean setup as normal then tried to install my paid apps and it worked. [emoji106][emoji1]

After that I restored all my other apps and setting with titanium and all was right with the world once more ;)

Maybe it needed the clean install after firmware update or maybe there was indeed some type of error with my internal storage but something about that procedure fixed it for me. Hope it helps somebody good luck.

Windows users be aware wipeing your phone this way may cause problems with drivers and adb to fail. Please be carefull !!!! I use Linux so drivers are not a problem for me.

Last edited: