RBC Royal Bank of Canada - NFC working on root. post 24!

Search This thread

tombeach22

Nov 20, 2010
I am going to try using that info and applying it to rbc

Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Are you talking about running a log cat and seeing what comes up?

It will be very dependent on which rom you are using. I ran it on my Google edition rom and it was looking for one jar file that was not available I copied it from stock rom and put it in system folder. It didn't help. Was there any other big red flags saying oh my god I found root? No.

- Sent from my Galaxy S IV
MediaBrowser - Take your media to the next level.
XDA developers - Your home for mobile device development.

tombeach22

Nov 20, 2010
Are you talking about running a log cat and seeing what comes up?

It will be very dependent on which rom you are using. I ran it on my Google edition rom and it was looking for one jar file that was not available I copied it from stock rom and put it in system folder. It didn't help. Was there any other big red flags saying oh my god I found root? No.

- Sent from my Galaxy S IV
MediaBrowser - Take your media to the next level.
XDA developers - Your home for mobile device development.

Hook me up with that jar baby

Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
ok... here is my long over-due post...

I have gotten it working! read on...

What does not/has not worked:

Google Edition Roms (tests in no specific order)
- rooted rom / manually un-rooted via SuperSu app No-go
- root hidden by Hide My Root app, and RootCloak xposed module. No-go
- ran logcat, found RBC app looking for " org.simalliance.openmobileapi.jar ", copied 2 files (attached below) from stock rom to this rom. No-go

Stock 4.3 BELL Touchwiz (Specific trial instructions)
From Stock un-rooted 4.3 MK6, odin flashed official tar from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
1. Odin flashed Chainfire's CF Auto-Root
2. Odin flashed TWRP recovery
3. used TWRP to install Phil'z touch recovery
4. boot into rom, install RBC
NO NFC OPTIONS

What did work:
Stock 4.3 BELL Touchwiz (Specific trial instructions -minus many backup steps)
From Stock un-rooted 4.3 MK6, odin flashed official tar from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
1. Boot phone, setup. installed apps, RBC app
2. NFC OPTIONS!!!! Setup RBC cards in-app
3. Odin flashed TWRP recovery, then used TWRP to install Phil'z touch recovery. (NFC still exists!!!)
4. Boot into Phil'z recovery > reboot phone > "Message: your phone is not rooted! Do you want to root the phone?" Answer: "YES". (NFC still exists!!!)
5. Installed ktoonsez tmo TW 4.3 kernel through recovery. reboot. edited build.prop line 'ro.securestorage.support' from "true" to "false" (to fix wifi with this kernel on pure stock roms) (NFC still exists!!!)
6. Installed Xposed Framework. (NFC still exists!!!)
7. Installed Nottach Xposed module (enable settings couple at a time, a couple settings dont work with 4.3 TW and stop all settings from applying, if you turn on 60 settings, none will work because of 1 bad setting). And installed XuiMod xposed module
8. Enjoy RBC NFC on rooted modified rom!

I have also used titanium backup to remove some samsung and bell bloat. BE CAREFUL. MAKE BACKUPS. removing some bloat could break rom or RBC NFC functionality!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Reactions: djakereur

Mairei

Aug 7, 2011
Hey TRusselo, do the Xposed & XuiMod modules, simalliance zip do anything for you to use the RBC wallet? Or is it just the fact you started out with a stock rom, setup your debit/credit card inside the app along with the NFC simcard before rooting that lets it work? and then you document those other items to state that they didn't break the RBC wallet app?

I'm too attached to my GoldenEye ROM to switch back to stock ROM with only a custom kernel. Thanks for figuring out and sharing though.

- ran logcat, found RBC app looking for " org.simalliance.openmobileapi.jar ", copied 2 files (attached below) from stock rom to this rom. No-go

NO NFC OPTIONS

What did work:
3. Odin flashed TWRP recovery, then used TWRP to install Phil'z touch recovery. (NFC still exists!!!)
4. Boot into Phil'z recovery > reboot phone > "Message: your phone is not rooted! Do you want to root the phone?" Answer: "YES". (NFC still exists!!!)
5. Installed ktoonsez tmo TW 4.3 kernel through recovery. reboot. edited build.prop line 'ro.securestorage.support' from "true" to "false" (to fix wifi with this kernel on pure stock roms) (NFC still exists!!!)
7. Installed Nottach Xposed module (enable settings couple at a time, a couple settings dont work with 4.3 TW and stop all settings from applying, if you turn on 60 settings, none will work because of 1 bad setting). And installed XuiMod xposed module

I have also used titanium backup to remove some samsung and bell bloat. BE CAREFUL. MAKE BACKUPS. removing some bloat could break rom or RBC NFC functionality!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah xposed has nothing to do with rbc working just saying that it still works after.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

djakereur

Nov 8, 2012
So far so good!
Seems to work on my S3 with Philz touch recovery, KT747, Secure Settings and Xposed framework installed.
Do you have Secure Settings installed? If so, did you enable "System+Module"?
big thanks TRusselo!

Last edited:

djakereur

Nov 8, 2012
Just an update, I needed busybox because of secure settings to work properly and now RBC detects my rooted phone :(

Trevorhimself

Mar 19, 2011
Fort McMurray
hey guys, I got some good news! I was able to get Wallet working on a custom rom while it was already rooted.

What I'm running : Maple Leaf by IB4StiD / Baseband NC1 with old bootloader.

steps in TRusselo's OP... pickup a Bell NFC SIM and fill out the form to submit to RBC http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/wallet/nfc-update/

approx 12 hours later I used RootCloak and added the RBC Mobile app to the Rootcloak list, uninstalled the RBC app and re-installed RBC. now I have the option for wallet! in addition I added my cards without issue.

Thanks OP!

Reactions: daniel336

joeyxl

Apr 29, 2008
Newmarket
I really wish this app wasnt limited to devices. But we are releasing bell wallet app soon, so hopefully just installing that will replace the phone type requirement, as long as its a phone on bell.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

viper2011

May 2, 2014
Would like to add, as bell/RBC opened this up to 4 new phones.

I have a note 3 and picked up an NFC Sim today. Changed it over and reinstalled the app..no lock, talked to RBC for an hour before he asked me if I was rooted...damn. RBC isn't allowing mobile wallet to be used on rooted devices (we knew this already). Installed root cloak, added RBC mobile app, and the wallet button popped up immediately. No unrooting and rerooting.

I learned from the RBC rep you do NOT need to fill out the form to have the update pushed. This was only in the early stages of mobile wallet development. If your device is set up properly the mobile app will update the wallet function itself

olegplanets

Nov 17, 2008

NO NFC OPTIONS

What did work:

attachment.php
attachment.php

After step 4 I lose the wallet in RBC app :(

RedCar850R

Feb 3, 2015
I really wish this app wasnt limited to devices. But we are releasing bell wallet app soon, so hopefully just installing that will replace the phone type requirement, as long as its a phone on bell.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Is there no work around for the phone type requirement ?
I have a OnePlus One running android 4.4.4 CM11

I'm in Canada with Virgin Mobile (Bell Network)
I was hoping it would be as simple as going to virgin mobile booth and getting NFC SIM card

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NO NFC OPTIONS

What did work:

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    hey guys, I got some good news! I was able to get Wallet working on a custom rom while it was already rooted.

What I'm running : Maple Leaf by IB4StiD / Baseband NC1 with old bootloader.

steps in TRusselo's OP... pickup a Bell NFC SIM and fill out the form to submit to RBC http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/wallet/nfc-update/

approx 12 hours later I used RootCloak and added the RBC Mobile app to the Rootcloak list, uninstalled the RBC app and re-installed RBC. now I have the option for wallet! in addition I added my cards without issue.

Thanks OP!
    The RBC Mobile app for Android was updated to v2.7 yesterday and here's the changelog:

RBC Wallet is now available for all Android devices with OS 4.4 or higher, regardless of which mobile network you are on or which SIM card you have on your phone. You can now add any RBC Visa or Interac card to your RBC Wallet. You can view balance on all cards and accounts that you’ve added to your RBC Wallet. To help ensure our customers’ security we have disabled RBC Wallet on Android devices that have been rooted.

I have RBC Mobile installed on my rooted Google Nexus 5 but am not seeing any option for the RBC Wallet. The app does ask for root access and I think the correct response is to deny it for obvious reasons but even with RootCloak installed and configured, the RBC Wallet feature does not presently work on this device. It would be nice if someone could figure out a solution for it because I doubt that users are eager to unroot their phones just for this feature.
    I'm having this same issue, not sure why root cloak doesn't fix it...

It turns out that the RBC Wallet feature does work on rooted phones with the XPrivacy module enabled and certain settings applied to the RBC Mobile app. See http://xdaforums.com/xposed/modules/mod-rootcloak-completely-hide-root-t2574647/page85 for the details. Credit goes to @VG_JUNKY for providing the solution!
    @VG_JUNKY, I'm happy to report that the RBC Wallet with my debit card worked at both of the merchants I tried it with today. The first use was at a No Frills supermarket and the second use was at a local pizza shop. I did have to turn off and on my data connection to pick up a stable signal the first time around but everything went smoothly after that point.