New update KitKat 4.4 and re-design of TouchWiz

Search This thread

morell2

Jul 31, 2011
attachment.php
Hello,
I got infomation from Samsung in mail.
I was angry about the new tablets were out yesterday at CES 2014.
So,I did something and sent a mail for Samsung.
They said the update is soon no have ETA.
The update will be 4.4 and redesign of the Touchwiz like the new tablets (TabPRO).
That's awesome news for us!
Yours,
Morel:laugh

Last edited:

Thunn

Jan 7, 2014
Hello,
The update will be 4.4 and redesign of the Touchwiz like the new tablets (TabPRO).
Yours,
Morel:laugh:

I wonder if it will get all the features like more than 2 windows feature on multiwindow etc. I really want this tablet but now i'm very confused about if it's not going to get Magazine UX or it's going to get it but not all the features etc. Samsung should really make an announcement or something, or there will be a big pause on the sales of Note 10.1 2014 I think.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Always nice to get latest updates. But I'm not really sure about that touchwiz design. Seems alot more restrictive and what I love most about Android is that I can customise it the way I like. So we'll see?

also the magazine view is already kinda there when you open the my magazine app ?

Last edited:

Thunn

Jan 7, 2014
Always nice to get latest updates. But I'm not really sure about that touchwiz design. Seems alot more restrictive and what I love most about Android is that I can customise it the way I like. So we'll see��

also the magazine view is already kinda there when you open the my magazine app ��

You're right. But the most important change that I'm curious about is the 4 multiwindows feature. New UI would still be better as the current one needs a refresh but that multiwindow feature is a must have. So I think I'm gonna wait for Samsung to officially announce what is going to happen to Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablets. I hope they make it soon so i can get my hands on the Note 10.1.

allan1313

Jan 12, 2011
You're right. But the most important change that I'm curious about is the 4 multiwindows feature. New UI would still be better as the current one needs a refresh but that multiwindow feature is a must have. So I think I'm gonna wait for Samsung to officially announce what is going to happen to Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablets. I hope they make it soon so i can get my hands on the Note 10.1.

If you have root you can already have the 4 window feature. I am using it right now.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2558517

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Thunn

Jan 7, 2014
If you have root you can already have the 4 window feature. I am using it right now.

I don't have the device right now. I got one but it was a faulty one so I returned it and now I'm waiting for everything to be clear about the future of the device. But if I get it I won't root it at least for a year because of warranty issues and last time I checked there was not any root method that doesn't trip the know counter. But still thank you :)

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure it won't get 4 multi window at least without root. The software would be similar to the 10.1 tab pro which can only do 2 windows.

cdinoz

Jul 13, 2010
Sydney
Aside from the screen size, and the fact that the 12.2 NotePro has USB3, the specs of these devices are IDENTICAL.

The 10.1 TabPro is identical to the 2014 specwise 10.1 in everything except stylus.

Would I be correct in assuming then that the OS on these devices would largely be the same? So KitKat on the 12.2 NotePro would in essence work on the 10.1 2014...? So Samsung should have no issue or delay in releasing 4.4 to the 2014 Note?

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Aside from the screen size, and the fact that the 12.2 NotePro has USB3, the specs of these devices are IDENTICAL.

The 10.1 TabPro is identical to the 2014 specwise 10.1 in everything except stylus.

Would I be correct in assuming then that the OS on these devices would largely be the same? So KitKat on the 12.2 NotePro would in essence work on the 10.1 2014...? So Samsung should have no issue or delay in releasing 4.4 to the 2014 Note?

Yeah so far it seems so, which is why everyone (Inc myself) are expecting a kitkat update for our tablet around the release of the Note Pro 12.2 , but like I always say nothing is ever simple with Samsung lol.

C2Q

Dec 10, 2011
Honestly I'm more hoping for that fact that the release of these additional devices with the same specs results in more development for ours, because everything that works on them should technically work on ours?

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
Honestly I'm more hoping for that fact that the release of these additional devices with the same specs results in more development for ours, because everything that works on them should technically work on ours?

I'll bet it's just a quick port. Even the resolutions are the same. We still need devs though, but there's no way this is bad for us.

Always nice to get latest updates. But I'm not really sure about that touchwiz design. Seems alot more restrictive and what I love most about Android is that I can customise it the way I like. So we'll see��

also the magazine view is already kinda there when you open the my magazine app ��

What is the my magazine app. I have the 10.1-14 and only see Flip. Is there another app?

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Hmm... Emphasis mine.

Samsung made more waves this week because of Michael Bay’s meltdown than its products have, but the unsung story of CES 2014 may be Samsung’s first major move to rid itself of Android. Wait, what? You heard me. Google’s Android OS may have helped Samsung rise to the top of the phone and tablet world, but not every relationship can last forever. Samsung’s new user “Magazine UX” interface for its Pro line of Galaxy Tab and Note tablets is a major step toward de-emphasizing the Google in Android.

With the new UI, Samsung cleverly hides Google’s app store and apps under a pile of new home screens, designed to look like a lovechild between Windows Phone and Flipboard. Instead of looking at a home screen of icons, you browse a grid of giant square and rectangular widgets that you can resize and reform at your whimsy. You can still access your list of apps, but Samsung relegates them to a separate, ugly one-off home screen that you can customize.

Of course, tech savvy users of the Galaxy Pro tablets will figure out how to eliminate Samsung’s new home screens, but they look good, and many will want to use them or never realize they have other options. The trap is that if you use them, you’re effectively only using apps from Samsung. It’s also added in widgets and links to its own App Store, email client, and other Samsung services, but few for anything by Google. You have to go searching for the Google Play Store and other apps.

Virtually no apps you install from Google Play (you know, that app store with 1 million apps) are compatible with Samsung’s new interface – not even if they have big square widgets. Samsung reps told me that even most apps from Samsung’s app store aren’t compatible with the new interface.

With Samsung’s new interface, Google’s typical Android apps feel like the legacy desktop on Windows 8 – out of place. By hiding the old interface, eventually Samsung can swap it out for its own OS (maybe Tizen or Boxee?) and many people may not realize it – the old bait and switch.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsungs-secret-mission-cut-google-galaxy/
So I like the look of Magazine UX but if it's either all in or nothing it'll be severely limited in terms of its usefulness. I currently have 21 home screen widgets across seven home pages. 12 are from Samsung. I'm not giving up 9 widgets I use regularly just to get a spiffier and potentially better experience from 12. I guess we'll see soon how Magazine UX co-exists with other "standard" home pages. From the article above it's not encouraging. Interesting approach on Samsung's part - it's good to be king.

Reactions: Flyer.michael

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
2014 Android premium devices sould start at 32gb and offer 64gb as standard SKUs. 16gb seems silly now. The 10.1 model needs the options and stores actually stock them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi
    did somebody mention this?:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/2014galaxynote10.1/mobile/feature.html
    Its on their official website :) no worries guys we get the update ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk
    attachment.php
    Hello,
    Yours,
    Morel:laugh
    You guys know the new "app" button doesn't add any special new functionality, right? We have the same functionalty of pulling up recent apps if we long press the home button. The reason the capacitive app button replaced menu in the new tablets is because a dedicated menu button is redundant in kitkat.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Man, I must be the only one who likes the magazine app. Oh well...
    I've seen a video where someone uses the new UI on the CES. As far as I remember there was a possibiltiy to use the old ui or the new ui :) will search for the video and post it ;)

Edit: here it is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_toOAVHTO4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

At 1:30 you can see the old ui
    Gesendet von meinem SM-P600 mit Tapatalk