HTC to USA : No 3G Touch HD for you

Search This thread

sdlopez83

Aug 8, 2007
NY-Chile
Those filthy mothers! I goddamn It!!! its because they hate us! And now I hate them... But i will still buy there products. Ok so i'm hypocrite but Its the lesser of the 2 evils (apple) The HD would cripple there competition.

{Bitter as ****!}

Arktronic

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2006
Well, they did get FCC approval for the EU version that doesn't support US 3G frequencies, so who knows...

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Samsung Galaxy Watch
OnePlus 10 Pro
I don't use usa 3G anyhow, since t-mobile only recently got it going with the Android. So, I'll happily use EDGE with this masterpiece when I get the pre-ordered unlocked european version!

Someday there will be a usa 3G version, but most likely for the at&t bandwidth....

Keland44

Jun 9, 2006
Cali
that's wack i think they are missing out on a very big market i don't see why it can't be relased in the States this is probably the best competitor to the Iphone

Black93300ZX

Jul 23, 2008
Brooklyn
Maybe they realized they need to stop being retards with pressure sensitive screens and they'll bring one to us in the US with a capacitive screen. :)

Arktronic

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2006
Maybe they realized they need to stop being retards with pressure sensitive screens and they'll bring one to us in the US with a capacitive screen. :)

Well, we're getting there with the Diamond and Raphael having capacitive button areas. Now if they'd just do it for the entire screen, that would be something else. Not sure how WinMo 6 would handle it, though. Maybe we have to wait for 7 to see that functionality... I hope they mention something about it at the PDC. Can't wait to go there :)

cyrilic

Oct 22, 2007
This is terrible news :mad: I suppose HTC decided it wouldn't be worth producing a US version of the phone as sales wouldn't generate enough revenue. I guess they don't think they can compete with Apple's marketing power/magic/overhyped iPhone :(

jeffla

Sep 22, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I am very disappointed, I actually feel lost and confused. This was the phone I was going to ditch my iphone for. I could always get the Fuze now but was so disappointed with my Diamond I just don't see how the Fuze will live up to my expectations.

Maybe the X1 or Omnia will be my next phone.

stpete111

Jun 30, 2005
From wmpoweruser.com, find below 3 speculations on why HTC may have decided to do this:

1) AT&T demanded that the HD stay out of USA, to prevent any competition with the iPhone 3G. In return they would carry the much delayed AT&T Fuze. This is supported by the absense of the HTC Touch Diamond on AT&T, indicating they do not welcome good competition to their favourite phone.

2) HTC did not want to draw attention from their new G1 android phone, and therefore decided not to release in USA.

3) HTC thinks the investment would be wasted, due to the local dominance of the iPhone in USA, unlike in Europe, where the seemed to have accelerated its release.

I'm going with reason #1. Apple and AT&T are the devil and the devil's spawn, respectively.

Looks like XDA-Developers is going to have to start calling on some HARDWARE EXPERTS!! Swap out the radios perhaps???

Very disappointing news, but hopefully this just means that we'll get something even better when the Touch HD II is born!

cyrilic

Oct 22, 2007
1) AT&T demanded that the HD stay out of USA, to prevent any competition with the iPhone 3G. In return they would carry the much delayed AT&T Fuze. This is supported by the absense of the HTC Touch Diamond on AT&T, indicating they do not welcome good competition to their favourite phone.

This is why I'll never be an iPhone user

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
g1 sales?

If they said the t-HD was coming in march they would kill half the g1 sales, I figure as soon as the hype for the g1 is over there will magically be an t-HD for USA. I am waiting for a t-HD pro w/ keyboard. I got the g1 to play with/take apart until then.

psperos

Jul 28, 2008
Looks like i made a good gamble... i gave up on the fuze and speculated the HD would be months out and got a US Diamond 2 weeks ago.

Looks like i will be using the diamond a lot longer than i thought. Love the phone.

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
1) I think AT&T is mostly responsible, since they would probably just delay the HD until mid way through next year. And who would want it then if HTC reveals a new and better device? Besides, AT&T probably doesn't want an iPhone-killer that is going to kill its iPhone.

2) Tmo and Google could also be responsible. Judging from how well G1 sales have been going, Tmo might want to get its hands on a second Android device to hit two price-points: one all-around "good" device with keyboard at $179 (the G1), and another high-design iPhone-killer at ~$299. So who knows, maybe HTC/Tmo/Google killed the HD in order to resurrect it as an Android device. After all, there has been no shortage of "Android on HD" comments everywhere, and Tmo actually keeps track of the blogosphere.