TouchWiz Home has stopped - can't use phone

Search This thread

jdhot1

Dec 30, 2013
BRISBANE
My i9505 originally had I9505XXUFNB8 BTU firmware on it and was rooted using Chainfire's Auto Root.

The phone kept asking me to update the firmware so I decided to flash the stock firmware back on it using ODIN so that I could do so (I have read that you should never update via OTA if rooted).

When I flashed it using ODIN, upon boot up, the phone said that "Unfortunately, Touchwiz Home has stopped." I press OK but then I get another error message this time for Google Play Music (infinite loop).

I keep toggling between these two error messages, however they don't go away.

If I press the lock screen button, I can see the welcome message, the status bar etc. But soon as I swipe, the above error messages appear.

If I receive a phone call, the phone rings and goes to the answer / reject screen but I can't accept the call as the error message is in the way.

I have already tried factory reset via the recovery options boot menu, but to no avail.

I have flashed a new version of the ROM, I9505XXUFNB9 but still the same error. I then even tried rooting it again, but still the same issue.

Please help me.

jdhot1

Dec 30, 2013
BRISBANE
No Luck

Flash stock rom via odin go to recovery wipe data, cache can solve your problem. Or try before put your phone airplane mode it may help your stopped after that delete play music and clear systemui data.

I have already tried the above, but I tried it again as per your instructions.

I flashed the stock rom via Odin (normal options selected just reset time and auto reboot). The device restarts and upgrades the system as per normal.

Before I even get to set the language a dialogue box appears saying that Google+ has stopped.

The Google+ dialogue box is now in an infinite loop.

Also, every time when I now turn it off and back on again, it goes through the upgrade screen but only for a few seconds.

I think my phone needs some sort of master reset.

jdhot1

Dec 30, 2013
BRISBANE
Will Try Now

You are saying wrong steps.

1- Flash stock firmware
2- Wait until phone boot
3- After boot volume up + home + power button and go in stock recovery mode ( not cwm or twrp )
4- Wipe data / cache
5- Done.

I will do this now.

I have got stock recovery mode.

So I have to clear the data / cache before it boots up with the stock firmware?

jdhot1

Dec 30, 2013
BRISBANE
Still not working

I will do this now.

I have got stock recovery mode.

So I have to clear the data / cache before it boots up with the stock firmware?

Ok, so firmware was successfully uploading using ODIN.

Phone rebooted, I did the data and cache wipe (factory reset does them both at the same time).

I have now entered the setup screen, I waited for around 15 seconds, then the message appeared again "unfortunately, Google+ has stopped."

I press OK on this dialogue box, then I get another error "unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped."

Then after pressing OK on this one, I get the Google+ one in a loop.

jdhot1

Dec 30, 2013
BRISBANE
Should I try Philz Touch Recovery?

Ok, so firmware was successfully uploading using ODIN.

Phone rebooted, I did the data and cache wipe (factory reset does them both at the same time).

I have now entered the setup screen, I waited for around 15 seconds, then the message appeared again "unfortunately, Google+ has stopped."

I press OK on this dialogue box, then I get another error "unfortunately, Google Play Music has stopped."

Then after pressing OK on this one, I get the Google+ one in a loop.

I found this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2480473 but I am unsure if I should try it.

jdhot1

Dec 30, 2013
BRISBANE
Need Root for Custom Recovery

Wipe data factory and try again. If not success flash twrp and wipe cache, data, preload, system, internal sdcard after that flash any custom rom

Thanks for your attempts to help me however after reading around, it appears that the phone needs to be rooted first before any custom recovery can be put on.

I have now created a new thread in the Questions section.