[RECOVERY][Experimental][OS2SD/Internal][f2fs]TWRP2.8.0.0-multi

Search This thread

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
TWRP 2.7.1.0 multi-mode recovery. 2.7.1.0 v3 was the first release for p500, (thanks to @HardLight for advising, testing, and posting it. And for making a p500 OS2SD ROM to justify it.)
v1 and up are for thunderc (Optimus V/S), there's a separate thread over there in the appropriate forum.

Now with f2fs! Thanks @HardLight

OS2SD/Internal All-In-One. Switch modes under Advanced. It tells you on the title bar which mode it's in.
It'll flash gapps or PurePerformances or what have you to either the p2/p4 sdcard partitions for OS2SD or the internal partitions.

This has a special partitioner to set up your card for OS2SD. In OS2SD mode, go to Advanced then Partition. Set your sizes, it isn't aware yet of the whole card size (yet) so it'll just tell you if you go over and refuse to format it.
Whatever is left after your system/swap/data is your /sdcard size.

If it's in Internal mode the partitioner does sd-ext and swap instead. same deal, the leftover space is your /sdcard size.

Under the Wipe -> advanced menu, you can now select either system or data and press the 'repair or change filesystem' bar at the bottom, select change filesystem, select f2fs.

TLS enabled, system/data MTD swap on internal mode to match post-7/12/2014 androidarmv6 builds. Won't flash older ROMS or ones without the MTD swap correctly.
I am working on making it compatible with older builds too... but not yet. You may have to use a new update-binary to flash older zips. Or grab the older one from this zip file.

download, shared folder here:

Experimental, may be glitchy! Enjoy!
source on github

Last edited:

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
On the portal today was announced a recovery-switcher app. One could have the mtd swapped and not-mtd swapped recoveries, or a cwm and a twrp recovery on the sdcard and use the app to switch between them. Do not know if this baby would work on a P500, though.

Would rather have a decent all-in-one, but that 5meg limitation may make this impractical (for example, the cwm has lost its sdcard partitioning functions).

Reactions: bigsupersquid

xdema

Jul 5, 2014
TWRP 2.7.1.0 multi-mode recovery. v4. ...

OS2SD/Internal All-In-One. Switch modes under Advanced. It tells you on the title bar which mode it's in.
It'll flash gapps or PurePerformances or what have you to either the p2/p4 sdcard partitions for OS2SD or the internal partitions.

source on github

So if understand correctly i'll flash the mod "buttons search<->power" & other zip files normally and not have to put the files into the rom manually or edit the updater script etc.:victory: thanks a lot

testing...

Last edited:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
On the portal today was announced a recovery-switcher app. One could have the mtd swapped and not-mtd swapped recoveries, or a cwm and a twrp recovery on the sdcard and use the app to switch between them. Do not know if this baby would work on a P500, though.

Would rather have a decent all-in-one, but that 5meg limitation may make this impractical (for example, the cwm has lost its sdcard partitioning functions).
that thing on portal reflashes the recovery every time to change it.
you could just as easily use flashable zip recoveries...

So if understand correctly i'll flash the mod "buttons search<->power" & other zip files normally and not have to put the files into the rom manually or edit the updater script etc.:victory: thanks a lot

testing...

that specific mod, you'd have to fix the updater-script to use it for os2sd, because it specifies MTD mounts.
mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");

pa_gapps and CrossBreeder and other more generic zips use
busybox mount /system
//edit: proper syntax:
run_program("/sbin/busybox","mount","/system");

instead of trying to call out the filesystem type.

Last edited:

xdema

Jul 5, 2014
that thing on portal reflashes the recovery every time to change it.
you could just as easily use flashable zip recoveries...

that specific mod, you'd have to fix the updater-script to use it for os2sd, because it specifies MTD mounts.
mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");

pa_gapps and CrossBreeder and other more generic zips use
busybox mount /system

instead of trying to call out the filesystem type.

i'll check the updater script, thanks for the pureperformance thinks, i discover a another method to speed up the p500 :fingers-crossed:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
bump

f2fs enabled for OS2SD.

uses updater script like so:
mount("f2fs", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p4", "/data");

to use f2fs /data go into Wipe menu, advanced, select data checkbox, press 'repair or change filesystem' bar, change filesystem, f2fs. accept.
you only have to do that once to change from the default ext4 partition type.

it handles /system f2fs as well.
mount("f2fs", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2", "/system");
change the filesystem the same way as data.

new 3.0.101 kernel but I noticed no differences in recovery except the working f2fs. Thanks @HardLight.

for now, attached .img for you who really have to experiment. I haven't tested this one very much on thunderg, just thunderc. basics tested on thunderg.

flashable zip added to shared folder linked in OP.

there's a little something extra in the shared folder...
I'm also uploading ROMs for the adventurous.
f2fs-system and f2fs-data os2sd builds if you're brave enough to try them. change both system and data to f2fs in recovery before flashing the rom unless you've already done that with an earlier version.
I don't have cell service to test but it's basically an androidarmv6 build plus 3.0.101 kernel and f2fs os2sd. everything else looks like it works to me.
I added Email, Apollo, Speech Recorder (which tunes up voice search I think), emojii in messaging and aosp keyboard, and extra wallpapers. Including Grass live wallpaper (which does actually work on armv6, it just looks for some network function and errors out ... I patched it,) and it reverts to building libcamera. Plus hackers keyboard because I like arrow and tab in terminal. No voice search in hackers keyboard though.

Attachments

• recovery.img
    4.7 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reactions: xdema and marrduk

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
bump for twrp 2.8.0.0

no other fixes or anything, just a rev up for twrp.
I'll upload in an hour or so. //edit: well, maybe not so soon. I can't test at the moment since my o1 went into a no-boot loop. perfectly good running rom on it too. bah.
take me the evening to fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdema

xdema

Jul 5, 2014
bump for twrp 2.8.0.0

I'll upload in an hour or so. //edit: well, maybe not so soon. I can't test at the moment since my o1 went into a no-boot loop. perfectly good running rom on it too. bah.

i'm testing your's 0509 :D
in this you made the on boot fix?
##fix "add_tid_to_cgroup failed to write" errors
chmod 0660 /dev/cpuctl

# allow reading kernel command line
chmod 0644 /proc/cmdline

thanks

could you say to me if it's normal this:
i make the wipe of the /system in twrp, then if i go to "repair or change fs" it show size 390mb, used 110mb
but if i make a wipe or a "change fs", used space shouldn't be 0mb?
is the same for /data.
i un/mounted the partitions before, but have always some mb used in both.

hum minitool show me that the two f2fs partitions are fully used, maybe it can't read the f2fs, however i've formatted the partitions again in ext4 and now retry the f2fs format via twrp

edit: however, after 2nd format in the end /data have 144 mb used, /system 110mb. so i suspect it's normal :D

Last edited:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
i'm testing your's 0509 :D
in this you made the on boot fix?

thanks

could you say to me if it's normal this:
i make the wipe of the /system in twrp, then if i go to "repair or change fs" it show size 390mb, used 110mb
but if i make a wipe or a "change fs", used space shouldn't be 0mb?
is the same for /data.
i un/mounted the partitions before, but have always some mb used in both.

hum minitool show me that the two f2fs partitions are fully used, maybe it can't read the f2fs, however i've formatted the partitions again in ext4 and now retry the f2fs format via twrp

edit: however, after 2nd format in the end /data have 144 mb used, /system 110mb. so i suspect it's normal :D
looks normal to me, ext4 uses "only" about 16MB after format but f2fs uses a lot more.
minitool will only work right if your kernel supports f2fs and I doubt m$ware does right now.

and the fix din't get migrated from the overrides in thunderc to p500 yet, sorry, was a 'for fun' build to share after a recent repo sync.
this one probably has a built libcamera instead of the froyo as well. (reversion)

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
reverted to twrp 2.7.1.0
2.8 kept bootlooping my o1.
one too many passes with kdz, it's total blackout no power, and I'll have to jtag it now.
be a while before I release another update unless I find an o1 with fastboot.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
My 01 does have fastboot e.e

I meant that I can use. HardLight pointed me to the method to enable it... if I hadn't completely fried my firmware. no backlight even, much less lg logo or emergency mode.

eventually I'll find another p500 for development (I can't use gsm phone on my service) but the going rate on ebay is $50 and I can't justify that for a hobby.

unfortunately it's too tweaky and time consuming for me to remotely develop by having someone else debug, so any more p500 stuff will be untested and slightly sketchy because of that.

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
cwm6.0.5.3oldMTDmounts_p500.zip
I do not know what it is? Sorry for the little understood...

clockwork mod v 6.0.5.3 for pre-tls roms (before androidarmv6 swapped the system and data Mount points in the kernel) used for kitkat roms around July 2014 or earlier or other 4.4 roms without the MTD partition swap

Last edited:
Reactions: Any PlayStore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP 2.7.1.0 multi-mode recovery. 2.7.1.0 v3 was the first release for p500, (thanks to @HardLight for advising, testing, and posting it. And for making a p500 OS2SD ROM to justify it.)
    v1 and up are for thunderc (Optimus V/S), there's a separate thread over there in the appropriate forum.

Now with f2fs! Thanks @HardLight

This has a special partitioner to set up your card for OS2SD. In OS2SD mode, go to Advanced then Partition. Set your sizes, it isn't aware yet of the whole card size (yet) so it'll just tell you if you go over and refuse to format it.
    Whatever is left after your system/swap/data is your /sdcard size.

If it's in Internal mode the partitioner does sd-ext and swap instead. same deal, the leftover space is your /sdcard size.

Under the Wipe -> advanced menu, you can now select either system or data and press the 'repair or change filesystem' bar at the bottom, select change filesystem, select f2fs.

TLS enabled, system/data MTD swap on internal mode to match post-7/12/2014 androidarmv6 builds. Won't flash older ROMS or ones without the MTD swap correctly.
    I am working on making it compatible with older builds too... but not yet. You may have to use a new update-binary to flash older zips. Or grab the older one from this zip file.

download, shared folder here:

source on github
    bump

f2fs enabled for OS2SD.

uses updater script like so:
    mount("f2fs", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p4", "/data");

to use f2fs /data go into Wipe menu, advanced, select data checkbox, press 'repair or change filesystem' bar, change filesystem, f2fs. accept.
    you only have to do that once to change from the default ext4 partition type.

it handles /system f2fs as well.
    mount("f2fs", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2", "/system");
    change the filesystem the same way as data.

new 3.0.101 kernel but I noticed no differences in recovery except the working f2fs. Thanks @HardLight.

for now, attached .img for you who really have to experiment. I haven't tested this one very much on thunderg, just thunderc. basics tested on thunderg.

flashable zip added to shared folder linked in OP.

there's a little something extra in the shared folder...
    I'm also uploading ROMs for the adventurous.
    f2fs-system and f2fs-data os2sd builds if you're brave enough to try them. change both system and data to f2fs in recovery before flashing the rom unless you've already done that with an earlier version.
    I don't have cell service to test but it's basically an androidarmv6 build plus 3.0.101 kernel and f2fs os2sd. everything else looks like it works to me.
    I added Email, Apollo, Speech Recorder (which tunes up voice search I think), emojii in messaging and aosp keyboard, and extra wallpapers. Including Grass live wallpaper (which does actually work on armv6, it just looks for some network function and errors out ... I patched it,) and it reverts to building libcamera. Plus hackers keyboard because I like arrow and tab in terminal. No voice search in hackers keyboard though.
    reserved

reserved against whatever need

bump for twrp 2.8.0.0