N5 and sprint network handover

Search This thread

polska2180o

Nov 28, 2011
After the latest S5 announcement I'm now ready for the n5. I am coming from S3 on sprint and for the time being I will stay with sprint. My question is...with Samsung s3 if I install a ROM any ROM CM for example the handover between LTE 3g 2g is sluggish I believe its because of some proprioty software (though I am not sure) is this an issue with the n5? Basically is this CDMA/LTE problem or Samsung?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
Its a Sprint problem... Depends on the tower... Sprint used different hardware/contractors.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

polska2180o

Nov 28, 2011
I understand that but the question surrounds the handoff when there is a custom ROM like CM. When using TW its an non issue. So my question is will the handoff be okay with N5 and CM because the N5 doesn't use the propriatory software Samsung does.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

asarjip

Nov 28, 2010
The short answer is yes...just not as bad..
Here is my experience:
I came from a Samsung galaxy nexus that I had about 4 different Roms loaded on. I could never find a 4.4 ROM that would do a good job on LTE/3g handoffs. My favorite ROM ended up being the Avatar 4.2 ROM.
With the gnex, I would be in a known 4g area but it would show 3g until I would cycle the airplane mode.

When I moved to the Nexus 5 three weeks ago, I was hopeful those issues would be over. Right now I'm rooted with the boot loader unlocked but running the stock ROM.

So. far I've tried 2 custom Roms but keep coming back to stock. I still notice the slow radio handoff but it is less frequent and not as often....but still there.

I hope that helps.

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il
Check S4gru for answers regarding Sprint. You will find all the information about towers,handoff and radios that pertain to Sprint

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app