Xoom 4G Upgrade Only for Unrooted Devices?

Search This thread

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
http://www.pcworld.com/article/220966/no_lte_for_rooted_motorola_xooms.html

This article paints a rather oblique picture yet it goes hand in hand with Motorola's M.O. Needless to say, the device can always be unrooted, but it still sucks...

Yeah I saw that. I mean really, are they going to make a big stink about that? That would mean they are prying into your personal info which is why this whole sending in to get the upgrade crap sucks. They should not even turn it on.

Inphinitizeit

Mar 7, 2010
Yeah I saw that. I mean really, are they going to make a big stink about that? That would mean they are prying into your personal info which is why this whole sending in to get the upgrade crap sucks. They should not even turn it on.

Unless there is a software upgrade required for the 4G to work and if its rooted the update won't apply correctly. It should be simple enough to revert it to stock before sending it in though.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
How is this different than any other device? lol people have been having to unroot their phones for years in order to send back in for repair/service/etc...

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
imo moto needs to get their panties out of a knot and relax when it comes to hackers
pretty much only techie people will root their phones and install custom firmware not your average joe, if its anything they should let the techies do their thing while still offering services like this(upgrades only NOT repairs)

PaulG1488

Jun 25, 2009
The moderator from motorola wasnt reffering to the 4g upgrade he meant software otas

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, Matt was referring to ota updates. I frequent the support forums over at motorola, and he said when he gets more info that he will put it out. I covered it in the sticky post this morning after I read that news article. Sorry, posting from my phone, or I would givea link to the forum post where he covered that issue.

PaulG1488

Jun 25, 2009

phoenix56317

Jan 5, 2010
Denver, Colo
A friend and I got into a discussion about the very same thing but the subject was about WHO really owns what you bought.

If you think about this, anything YOU buy outright with hard earned greenbacks, is NOT really yours to begin with. Everything today comes with a WARRANTY and legal DISCLAIMERS with any product you buy these days, it essentially says that said product will be covered as long as you don't abuse said product in it's ORIGINAL MANUFACTURED STATE !

It's funny but when you really think about this and life, it sucks !

Who could ever imagine that that piece of land with garbage and tires and whatnot, could make someone RICH by landscaping it into a CEMETERY. You go rent a small portion of dirt so when your time comes, you have some place where they could bury you, how IRONIC ! especially when you have to pay for upkeep costs.

x51

Apr 23, 2008
none of my $$ for moto anyway

Not sure why this is such a surprise. I wouldn't expect Motorola to service a rooted, or hacked device in any way.. nor would I expect that from HTC, Samsung, LG.. you get the point.

Now if they had some super secret chip that can tell if was EVER rooted and were denying upgrades.. THAT would be news. (But still not a surprise)

Regardless, since Motorola wants to be a bunch of pricks about their hardware (Atrix).. They will never see a dime from me unless this policy changes (Atrix).. and even then.. it may simply be too late. I believe in the power of the consumer and I just wish everyone else did.

MOTO is just below Sony and Apple on my SH$^% list. I was already boycotting Sony over their Playstation policy and the devices general crappyness, but Suing George Hotz for hacking a device HE purchased AND owns, and THEN making a motion (and winning) to seize and rifle through all of George's personal computers and data storage devices that he also owns is the epitome of hypocritical. I wont even PAY to see a Movie if Sony Pictures is involved.. (Thanks Bit-Torrent).

Sorry.. straying off topic.. So If you care about having the best hardware and it's made by a company who treats their customers like crap.. you have 2 choices.. 1) Buy the hardware anyway, and settle for being treated like crap, or 2) Settle for lesser hardware from a company you don't mind giving your money to.

While they had a rocky start... I'm looking forward to giving my money to Notion Ink for their Adam Tablet (as soon as they manufacturer enough to begin selling them again). They make solid hardware, and while the software needs improvement.. They are promising Honeycomb and they seem to have embraced the modders and hackers who make the device better. I hope it lasts.

chaoslimits

Mar 19, 2010
Hope everyone's enjoying their xooms. That's what you get for buying one knowing Moto's policies. Let's keep sending money to the very company that's trying to strip us of our rights. Surely, that will change their policies.

matthewendsley

Mar 2, 2011
For those still wondering, the thread has been updated by Motorola clarifying the issue.

All Motorola XOOM tablets on the Verizon Wireless network are eligible to receive an upgrade to support 4G LTE. This includes those that have been unlocked; however, those units must be submitted for upgrade with the original factory software reinstalled and the device relocked in order to receive the upgrade.

For devices that are returned unlocked, Motorola will attempt to complete the upgrade, but may be unable to update the software. In these cases, the device will be returned to the consumer with just the 4G LTE modem installed.

More details on the process will be available closer to the upgrade availability.

I can't post the direct link as I'm still a new user, but it's post #42 in the linked thread.