[APP][2.2+] WakeOnSMS Beta 1.0.8 - Not your average Wake On Lan Client

Search This thread

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
WakeOnSMS Beta 1.0.8 - Not your average Wake On Lan Client

A simple application to turn on your computer by sending an SMS to the android phone that has this app installed on.

Why you need this?
This is useful when you can't WOL over WAN, or when you don't want to wake anyone at 2am :D

Faq and Install:

The profile name cannot contain spaces so it will be replaced with _

Make sure that you have a wifi router home and, your computer is connected to the router with UTP cable. (It is not possible to wake up computer that uses wifi lan cards)
Configure your computers bios to enable WOL.
Download the .apk to an adnroid phone that runs 2.2+ and install it.
After install create a new profile and enter the required data.
Send an SMS contaiing the Profile name to the phone that has this apk installed on it.

The wifi handling is implemented into the app. When it is enabled and connected to the router, it will wake up your PC.
If the wifi is turned off, then the app will turn it on and tries to connect to your router.
If the phone can't connect to the router after 5 mins the application stops. When your wifi is turned on but it isn't connected to an access point then the phone might be away from your router so the WOL won't start.

If you don't have a dynamic dns and you can only reach you PC by IP address, then send the get-ip command and you will receive a reply sms with the current WAN (Internet) IP address. These texts won't be visible on the phone.

Features:
-Easy to use.
-Multi Profiles
-It needs to be configured only the first time.
-Test function to test the WOL feature.
-Wake on lan triggered by a user defined SMS message,
-The sms containing the “profile name” will only be received by the application.
-If the Wifi is turned off, the app will turn it on and when the magic packets have been sent out, it will be turned off.
-Get your WAN (Internet) by SMS
-Simple log that shows the apps activities.
-If you haven't setup a profile but you know the MACADDRESS of your PC then you can turn it on by sending an sms. Example: Wake:MACADDRESS

More features and bug fixes will be implemented soon.

Note: The app needs to be installed on a phone that can access your routers access point. You just need to send the Profile name to that phone.

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqgel21t4wj7ttk/WakeOnSms_Beta_108.apk?dl=0

Last edited:

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
Changelog

Changelog:

2012/12/30
  • Removed the Magic word idea. Only the Profile name is needed.
  • Added simple logging.
  • Added the command GET-IP. You will receive a reply sms containing the WAN IP
  • Added command WAKE: MACADDRESS. You can now turn on your pc when you know the MACADDRES but you don't have a profile for it.
  • Added the feature enable/disable profiles.
  • Some bugfixes.
2012/12/10
  • Added Profile creation
  • Lot of improvements
  • Minor bug fixes

2012/11/29
  • Added Broadcast IP and PORT calculation.
  • Wifi handling bug fixes
  • Fixed activity hiding when WOL has been initiated
  • Some parts of the source code have been rewritten
  • Minor bug fixes

• Fixed Wifi handlig when wifi is turned on but notconnected.
  • Fixed Mainactivity to start when phone is locked. Now tha mainactivity won't be visible when phone is unlocked.
  • Incrased the number of the magic packets to sen out to 5. Original was 1.
  • Minor bugfixes

Last edited:
Reactions: PeachyPixel8

jon-b

Nov 28, 2012
Excellent

Hey

Great idea. I have been missing something like this for a long time. Haven't yet had the time to try it out - will next week.
However I would like to offer an idea:
Multiple profiles (so an sms with "WOL1" would wake one computer and "WOL2" would wake another)
alternatively parsing the sms so "WOL 14-76-13-B9-F7-9C" would wake the designated computer

/Jon

Reactions: crancker

Jimi Mack

Mar 6, 2011
Long Island
I want to give a big thanks for this. I have a 5 yr old you just recently fell in love with Star Wars. I was able to place this app on mine and a spare smartphone I had so my son and I can have Light Saber fights, he is in love with the experience. Thank you again.

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
Hey

Great idea. I have been missing something like this for a long time. Haven't yet had the time to try it out - will next week.
Multiple profiles (so an sms with "WOL1" would wake one computer and "WOL2" would wake another)
alternatively parsing the sms so "WOL 14-76-13-B9-F7-9C" would wake the designated computer

/Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon. :) Yes I thought of that already, but first Id like to fix all the bugs I can and also to implement the broadcast ip calculation, so the user only needs to enter the MAC address and the magic word :)

If you run GB on your phone please let me know the result you encounter. On my GF's phone runs MIUI GB last official, and the settings menu always occures when I send her the "Magic word" On other GB roms I haven't see this bug.

Again thanks for your reply :)

[V]endetta

Jun 17, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
possible to give guide how to install this??

and this app wake up computer or wifi router?

as i installed this..changed mac address to my computer mac, but still nothing when i press test button...

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
possible to give guide how to install this??

and this app wake up computer or wifi router?

as i installed this..changed mac address to my computer mac, but still nothing when i press test button...

Install the app to a phone that can acces your wifi router (access point). Enter your MAC Address, broadcast IP (That should be 192.168.1.255 if your routers ip is 192.168.1.1) and your WOL port number. That should be 7 or 9. It depends on your routers type. The app acts as a client. When you send the "magic word" to the phone that has this app on it, it will connect to your routers wifi and turn on the comp that has the given MAC. Also configure your comp in the bios to use WOL if it isn't configured yet.

I hope I could help.

Also before the end of the week I will upload the new version that will calculate the broadcast ip and the wol port so you only need to enter the mac and the magic word :)

PS.: I know my app description is a mess... I will update it soon.

edgarinvillegas

Dec 9, 2012
Layout files not in git repo

Hi crancker, I developed a similar app and I found yours, I was checking your code and you forgot to add the layout files (and all resources) to the GIT repo.

Cheers
Edgar

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
Hi crancker, I developed a similar app and I found yours, I was checking your code and you forgot to add the layout files (and all resources) to the GIT repo.

Cheers
Edgar

Hi.

I haven't forgot to add anything. I only committed the manifest end main .jar files. There is no reason to commit unnecessary files -.-

All the classes, functions, implementations can be found in my repo. There is no need to commit the layout... If you want to use my source then your welcome.

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
In the past few days I was working on this like a mad man :) I've added some new features and I removed the magic word concept. Only the profile name is needed. Also now you can turn off a profile if you don't need it :) If the description is not clear in my first post, then let me know and I'll rewrite it. Its hard to write a short presentation of the app, but I hope everyone can understand it :)

crancker

Sep 29, 2012
Link not working :(
Developement stopped ? Could i get the latest apk because i desperately need it
Thanks

Hi. Yes I stopped developing this app a long time ago. I don't even have my last source code due to a system crash. Maybe I have a working apk somewhere. If you still need it I can search for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WakeOnSMS Beta 1.0.8 - Not your average Wake On Lan Client

A simple application to turn on your computer by sending an SMS to the android phone that has this app installed on.

Why you need this?
    This is useful when you can't WOL over WAN, or when you don't want to wake anyone at 2am :D

Faq and Install:

The profile name cannot contain spaces so it will be replaced with _

Make sure that you have a wifi router home and, your computer is connected to the router with UTP cable. (It is not possible to wake up computer that uses wifi lan cards)
    Configure your computers bios to enable WOL.
    Download the .apk to an adnroid phone that runs 2.2+ and install it.
    After install create a new profile and enter the required data.
    Send an SMS contaiing the Profile name to the phone that has this apk installed on it.

The wifi handling is implemented into the app. When it is enabled and connected to the router, it will wake up your PC.
    If the wifi is turned off, then the app will turn it on and tries to connect to your router.
    If the phone can't connect to the router after 5 mins the application stops. When your wifi is turned on but it isn't connected to an access point then the phone might be away from your router so the WOL won't start.

If you don't have a dynamic dns and you can only reach you PC by IP address, then send the get-ip command and you will receive a reply sms with the current WAN (Internet) IP address. These texts won't be visible on the phone.

Features:
    -Easy to use.
    -Multi Profiles
    -It needs to be configured only the first time.
    -Test function to test the WOL feature.
    -Wake on lan triggered by a user defined SMS message,
    -The sms containing the “profile name” will only be received by the application.
    -If the Wifi is turned off, the app will turn it on and when the magic packets have been sent out, it will be turned off.
    -Get your WAN (Internet) by SMS
    -Simple log that shows the apps activities.
    -If you haven't setup a profile but you know the MACADDRESS of your PC then you can turn it on by sending an sms. Example: Wake:MACADDRESS

More features and bug fixes will be implemented soon.

Note: The app needs to be installed on a phone that can access your routers access point. You just need to send the Profile name to that phone.

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqgel21t4wj7ttk/WakeOnSms_Beta_108.apk?dl=0
    Changelog

Changelog:

2012/12/30
    • Removed the Magic word idea. Only the Profile name is needed.
    • Added simple logging.
    • Added the command GET-IP. You will receive a reply sms containing the WAN IP
    • Added command WAKE: MACADDRESS. You can now turn on your pc when you know the MACADDRES but you don't have a profile for it.
    • Added the feature enable/disable profiles.
    • Some bugfixes.
    2012/12/10
    • Added Profile creation
    • Lot of improvements
    • Minor bug fixes

2012/11/29
    • Added Broadcast IP and PORT calculation.
    • Wifi handling bug fixes
    • Fixed activity hiding when WOL has been initiated
    • Some parts of the source code have been rewritten
    • Minor bug fixes

• Fixed Wifi handlig when wifi is turned on but notconnected.
    • Fixed Mainactivity to start when phone is locked. Now tha mainactivity won't be visible when phone is unlocked.
    • Incrased the number of the magic packets to sen out to 5. Original was 1.
    • Minor bugfixes
    Excellent

Hey

/Jon
    App is now updated. Added profile creation and a lot of improvements :)