[APP][3.1+] Friend Brush

Search This thread

hessan

Apr 26, 2012
Maynooth
hessan.annahid.com
Thanks to everyone for their support! The app has now been updated in the public channel (Google Play) with improved functionality, and saving creations to storage is now free as promised. If you have Google Play on your device and still using the XDA testing version of the app, I would highly appreciate if you upgraded to the Google Play version.

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester
Not sure if this is ROM related or app related.. When searching through for a creation picture it just reverts back to previous screen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

hessan

Apr 26, 2012
Maynooth
hessan.annahid.com
I'm using it for the first time.
I downloaded it around 30 minutes before I reported it here.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

I've tried something to fix the bug (or to rule out possibilities). Could you please download the app from the direct download link (here) and see if it's fixed? I want to make sure it's fixed before submitting to Google Play. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: antarix

antarix

May 16, 2012
Surat
I've tried something to fix the bug (or to rule out possibilities). Could you please download the app from the direct download link (here) and see if it's fixed? I want to make sure it's fixed before submitting to Google Play. Thank you!

This works fine with me.
I can scroll down the entire gallery and no FC.:thumbup:

antarix

May 16, 2012
Surat
y3yduvyr.jpg

@hessan This is what the outcome looks like. I used a folder with 294 images. Chose 16mp with 64x64 tile dimension.

hessan

Apr 26, 2012
Maynooth
hessan.annahid.com
y3yduvyr.jpg

@hessan This is what the outcome looks like. I used a folder with 294 images. Chose 16mp with 64x64 tile dimension.

Right. Well, the algorithm is still not mature and I'm actively working on improving it. And feedback like this helps a lot. I was thinking of having a thread (or possibly a Facebook album on the app page) where people just post their creations. That can give me a lot of information on how people use the app and what the requirements are.

Friend Brush's speciality is in faces for tile photos. And usually low resolution + big tiles is not a good idea. But this is for now.

Edit: What I changed in the algorithm in this version was a policy not to pick a different tile image than surrounding tiles for each spot. I did this to avoid repeated patches which used to make creations look ugly. But one option is to have this feature as a setting that can be turned off. Other option is to trigger this setting based on the size of the brush and the creation.

Last edited:
Reactions: antarix

antarix

May 16, 2012
Surat
Should I choose 20 MP with lowest tile dimension?
I'll post the pic in a bit.

Edit: I used the same folder of 294 images with 16x16 tile dimension for 20 MP.
y8ezu8a3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hessan

hessan

Apr 26, 2012
Maynooth
hessan.annahid.com
Version 1.3.0 of Friend Brush is now available on BETA channels. The most important change in this version is the removal of the rather useless option Randomness, and the addition of a new option called "Diversify tiles" which is disabled by default. What this option does is what made creations look rather dithered in the previous version (and you couldn't opt out of it). It makes sure not adjacent tiles are the same. While this is useful in some cases, it might not always be the best option. That's why I left it as opt-in.

Other changes in this version:

• Improved tile quality: The quality of individual tile images is slightly improved
  • Faster collage creation: without randomness, less processing is needed and creations are made faster than before
  • More reliable brush creation: sometimes Friend Brush had to skip over some images (as they were not available/not decodable). They showed as black square tiles in the previous version. In this version, they are just thrown away, leaving tile spots only for real images.
  • Minor changes in the UI: Creation list items are not thinner.

The above changes are subject to new bugs and crashes that didn't exist before. I'd be thankful if you helped me test the app.

antarix

May 16, 2012
Surat
Tried it.
Being late to reply but the results are still with pixels.

Sent from my C1604 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

I have recently published a new app called Friend Brush. Using this app you can create collages of smaller photos that look like a single photo when seen from distance (or zoomed out). You can pick your tiles from various sources, namely Facebook, Google+, or your device's gallery. For the big picture, you can either choose from your gallery or simply take a photo with the camera. Below is a sample of what can be done using this app:

MwQneaxR4Y1qj6zfrDhCyoVJd0scwwv5hwdoNbIJn24kzoHq-22B6gkHDJPlR2lMFms4=h900-rw

I would highly appreciate any feedback, especially on stability and user experience of the app.

Download from Google Play
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=annahid.apps.friendbrush

In case there are some issues in the public release, you can try bleeding-edge beta versions of the app using one of the following options:

OPTION 1:
    Become a Google Play beta tester for the app. I have enabled beta testing for XDA Android App Testers Community.

OPTION 2:
    Download the testing version from my official website. This version has all the basic features of the app, plus a report button you can use to contact me about a bug.

If you like the app, please make me extremely happy by tipping this to XDA Portal!
    Friend Brush has just been updated. Now everyone can choose large tile photos. I also found some bugs in the previous versions and fixed them.
    Version 1.3.0 of Friend Brush is now available on BETA channels. The most important change in this version is the removal of the rather useless option Randomness, and the addition of a new option called "Diversify tiles" which is disabled by default. What this option does is what made creations look rather dithered in the previous version (and you couldn't opt out of it). It makes sure not adjacent tiles are the same. While this is useful in some cases, it might not always be the best option. That's why I left it as opt-in.

Other changes in this version:

• Improved tile quality: The quality of individual tile images is slightly improved
    • Faster collage creation: without randomness, less processing is needed and creations are made faster than before
    • More reliable brush creation: sometimes Friend Brush had to skip over some images (as they were not available/not decodable). They showed as black square tiles in the previous version. In this version, they are just thrown away, leaving tile spots only for real images.
    • Minor changes in the UI: Creation list items are not thinner.

The above changes are subject to new bugs and crashes that didn't exist before. I'd be thankful if you helped me test the app.
    Friend Brush has just been updated. Now everyone can choose large tile photos. I also found some bugs in the previous versions and fixed them.

Great, thanks for sharing your work. Really nice idea to honor your friends with being a part of a new picture. :D
    Will check it out and report

Sent from my C1604 using Tapatalk