Prepackaged Zips for on the go flashing

Search This thread

bedwa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
As someone who came from a Nexus One, I prefer to flash on the go. I usually take a Zip I have on my phone with ua_redbend in it, edit the update script on the go and drop the appropriate Modem.bin or zImage into it. But for those who haven't done this on the go, all you'll have to do is unpack the tar file most people upload, drop it in the respective ZIP file below using an appropriate program on your phone (unrar, astrozip, astro file manager for a few) and use Clockwork to flash on the go...

Of course, I am not liable for any misflashing that may occur, I just thought that this would help out on the go... :)

The folder to drop your respective file into will be the kernel_update folder.

Enjoy guys! And flash on the go Go GO!

Edit: Works as well with Infuse. It saved my Bacon when making my 1.0 Infusion so that I could reupload it quickly. ;)

Attachments

• Kernel.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Modem.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 301
  • Kernel-Modem.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

mac208x

Jun 13, 2009
I just download the files to my computer that are flashable with clock and copy them all onto my sd and flash while i drive lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

bedwa

Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
That works too. I just thought that everyone would love to have these.... I love being able to flash anything anytime without sitting down at my computer. :)

tiger4j

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks bedwa, ive been looking for a method like this! All I ever really have to use my ext. Sd for is priority files and a handful of things for post-flash care ;) such as my ever-so-loved launcher 2 apk, setiron's kernel, and a few others so when I help someone flash I put my sd in there phone and install the basics.
So I just drop zimage in w/ no edit?
I appreciate it. Thanks.

DJNgoma

Apr 6, 2010
Johannesburg
Flash a z4 kernel and you are kind of stuffed lol. Well it's more of a nandroid and ROMs on the internal SD on my side of the world.

bedwa

Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Thanks bedwa, ive been looking for a method like this! All I ever really have to use my ext. Sd for is priority files and a handful of things for post-flash care ;) such as my ever-so-loved launcher 2 apk, setiron's kernel, and a few others so when I help someone flash I put my sd in there phone and install the basics.
So I just drop zimage in w/ no edit?
I appreciate it. Thanks.

Download the respective zip and drop it in the "kernel_update" folder in the zip. No other work needed..... I just wanted to make it quicker for others to do this on the go.... ;)

lolgrec

Jul 22, 2010
so is there a way for this method to restore my captivate back to JF6? i'm on a mac and don't have access to windows all the time, so one click back to JF6 isn't a common option for me

bedwa

Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL
Thats a bit trickier.... I would assume that you could redbend the whole thing, but you would need ALL the partitions and all the proper locations. Though it may be easier with hiemdal.....

delugeofspam

Dec 14, 2010
Cape Cod
so is there a way for this method to restore my captivate back to JF6? i'm on a mac and don't have access to windows all the time, so one click back to JF6 isn't a common option for me

Idk about JF6 but I've been using the stock OTA UCJH7 as my jump-off for flashing ROMs. I always do it through CWR and (as long as I remember to disable lagfixes) I've never had a problem.

Made my phone a damn good brick by forgetting to disable the lagfix and trying to flash back to stock, but as long as you're not as dumb as me you shouldn't have a problem.

When I first got the phone I spent hours trying to get my computer to recognize it in download mode before eventually coming to the conclusion that I was having hardware problems in my USB ports. I've only ever used Odin to go to stock *once* and I did it on a friend's laptop. So, figure that you and I have about the same access to Odin. I feel pretty confident with this on-the-go method of returning to stock and flashing.

Edit:
Also, now that I think about it, you can probably find a stock JF6 update.zip to be used with CWR. You may even find it somewhere linked to that thread that I posted.

randy_khoo

Sep 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
This seems very interesting.
I came from the HTC Legend background and i was always flashing on the go then. I bricked the Cappy when i tried flashing on the go (as i was so used to on the legend).

However, looking at your files, i really have NO IDEA how to use this.
Could you post a step by step guide as to how to use this?
Would be great if you could dummy proof this so users like me won't mis-flash.

At the moment, i'm looking at your files, and i have no idea what order of flashing should another custom rom be.

However, i can only assume that these files are flashed BEFORE the custom ROM?
As in -> recovery -> Kernel & modem -> Custom Rom.
In this order?

delugeofspam

Dec 14, 2010
Cape Cod
These aren't flashable update.zips they're just guts to insert into a pre-made update.zip.

As far as on-the-go flashing with a Captivate... it's the only way to fly ;D

hybernator

Dec 10, 2010
so the kernel is the zimage file in the update folder, is that correct? and the modem is the modem.bin? those are the files I would need to replace

soypoi

Oct 17, 2010
Swansea, Wales
I would very much like to try this but am a bit confuzzled o_O Can I download and flash or do I have to do some adding and things. I"m under the impression that I have to mod some more after I download these... would be quite nice to have these w/ the stock zimage or whatever already in the zip...that's just me..mostly because I'm at work and would really like to reflash a rom right now. :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As someone who came from a Nexus One, I prefer to flash on the go. I usually take a Zip I have on my phone with ua_redbend in it, edit the update script on the go and drop the appropriate Modem.bin or zImage into it. But for those who haven't done this on the go, all you'll have to do is unpack the tar file most people upload, drop it in the respective ZIP file below using an appropriate program on your phone (unrar, astrozip, astro file manager for a few) and use Clockwork to flash on the go...

Of course, I am not liable for any misflashing that may occur, I just thought that this would help out on the go... :)

The folder to drop your respective file into will be the kernel_update folder.

Enjoy guys! And flash on the go Go GO!

Edit: Works as well with Infuse. It saved my Bacon when making my 1.0 Infusion so that I could reupload it quickly. ;)