[How To] Change Your Sense 3.0/3.5 Lock Screen Font (Adapted for System Fonts)

Search This thread

c_live_lee

Want Your Sense 3 Lockscreen's Typeface to Match Your System Font?

This is My Method

First things first. You need to make sure you have Root Explorer or an equivalent file manager with root access, as you will need Read/Write permissions for the System folder.

You will also need to obtain your desired font in TrueType format. This will be indicated by the file extension ".ttf" Unlike Windows, Android does not recognize multiple font types.
Although I can't guarantee it will work in every case, I will say that I have yet to experience any problems when I simply change the file extension of a font I wish to use (for example - "Neutratext.otf" becomes "Neutratext.ttf" by simply renaming the file.)

One last thing before I start:
DO NOT blame me if you mess up your phone! Make sure to perform a backup BEFORE you do ANYTHING else. If something doesn't go quite right you SHALL find yourself in a boot loop. :D

Ok, now that you've backed up your phone, use Root Explorer (or whatever your poison) to find the font you wish to use and rename it to IDENTICALLY match the following two files:

Click Here Now If You Wish to Use This Tutorial for System Fonts! Otherwise, Continue Below \/\/\/\/

HelveticaNeueLTPro35Th.ttf

HelveticaNeueOTS.ttf

Once you have renamed the files, select both and COPY/PASTE or MOVE them to:

System/fonts

The next step is to simply change the permissions of both files. In Root Explorer, You just long press on a file and select "Permissions" from the pop up menu. There will be slight variations between file managers though. Once you figure out where permissions are located, you'll want to change the permissions of both font files so that they look like this:

ScreenShot-28.png

Now that permissions have been changed, it's time to reboot your phone. Once it's back up, you should see your new font gracing the lock screen. :)

This may help if you would like to adapt this post to change your system font - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16601089&postcount=3

Notes:
If you didn't notice, there are in fact, two fonts which are being replaced here. The fact is, I'm not sure if both need replacement or just one of them. The first time I tried this, I replaced both and it worked perfectly so, that's how I continue to do it. If you wish to do a little experimenting to see if we only need to do one or if we need both, feel free. I would appreciate it if you'll share your findings, so I can update the OP to reflect this.

Apparently, I also need to add that this tutorial is all based on the assumption that you are coming into it with a font which YOU have found and placed on your SD card. This font will be the one you'll be copying and renaming for placement in the System/fonts folder.

Just a heads up for you guys. Performing this mod will also change the font of your large Sense Weather Widget. This will probably be a plus to the vast majority, many will be indifferent but, for a small percentage of you, it may be a deal breaker. This note is for you. :)

This mod will apparently work on the Desire HD as well, with slightly different results. It seems to work just fine with the exception of the icon labels beneath the lock screen icons. They appear to be unaffected. I have no Desire HD so, I can't help you guys out much here.

Added link in OP to help simplify System Font Adaptation

Now confirmed to be working with BAMF SoaB!

BEFORE (and I'm ONLY referencing the fonts here):
ScreenShot-21.png

AFTER:
ScreenShot-27.png

Last edited:

enkrypt3d

Jul 28, 2010
This is just for the lock screen? how do we change the entire system fonts? The fonts on synergy rom are way too thin and hard to read... i really dont care about the fonts on the lock screen.

c_live_lee

Alter Tutorial for Sytem Fonts

This is just for the lock screen? how do we change the entire system fonts? The fonts on synergy rom are way too thin and hard to read... i really dont care about the fonts on the lock screen.

Ask and ye shall receive! Here's how to adapt this for System Fonts-

The fonts you'll be replacing are:

DroidSans.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf

You CAN use the same font for both of these but, personally, I prefer to use a normal or thin version of my preferred font, as well as a bold version.

Make sure you name them EXACTLY as the original files are named.

That, as they say, is that! We've pretty much turned this into a dual purpose tutorial because that was the only difference between this tutorial and one for system fonts. :D

But, hold up there, Sparky! You're almost there but, you do need to refer back to the OP so, you can tie up the loose ends. Pick up at the "changing permissions" part.

Edit: DO keep in mind that apps have made it a little "easier" to change system fonts. You can simply download an app such as Font Changer or Font Switcher. I prefer my method because it's quite easy, doesn't add another app to your drawer and makes you just a little more comfortable with the inner workings of your phone.

Last edited:

jonathanphx1

Apr 7, 2010

How about you thank him for the tutorial instead of saying "I really don't care about the fonts on the lock screen."

On a separate note thanks C for the tutorial this will make it to the next version of dark horse when I get to computer that shows a thanks button I will hit it.

enkrypt3d

Jul 28, 2010
Btw ur doesn't say where to copy the files from. All the fonts ur talking about are already in system/fonts... The permissions are already the same as what ur talking about ... I appreciate the tutorial but it doesn't really make sense.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

enkrypt3d

Jul 28, 2010
Imma put this as nicely as possible....Its because youre an...nevermind. So not worth it.. /sign. Go buy an iSheep, reading seems to be too hard for you.

Haha very funny I hate apple. But thx for thinking u have any clue who I am or what I'm about. I've read this page 5 times. It says nothing about where to copy the fonts from.

If I'm supposed to download the fonts from somewhere it would be nice to include that part.
Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Last edited:

McLabia

Mar 19, 2011
City of Sharks
Thanks for this tutorial Lee! Youre awesome bro! Super easy if you know how to read!

Edit:
You will also need your desired font in TrueType format. This will be indicated by the file extension ".ttf" Unlike Windows, Android does not recognize multiple font types.
Although I can't guarantee it will work in every case, I will say that I have yet to experience any problems when I simply change the file extension of a font I wish to use (for example - "Neutratext.otf" becomes "Neutratext.ttf" by simply renaming the file.)

Last edited:

BurnOne77

Mar 27, 2011
So question, right now I am using the stock font from synergy, if I want to bring this over to my lockscreen which 2 font files do I take from system/fonts?
Is it just one font from system/fonts I take and rename twice ?

Sorry If this is clear but I am probably just confused lol.

Thanks for the tutorial !

McLabia

Mar 19, 2011
City of Sharks
So question, right now I am using the stock font from synergy, if I want to bring this over to my lockscreen which 2 font files do I take from system/fonts?

Honestly? I used both of the system fonts. Top top bottom bottom replacement.
DroidSans.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf

Hinds the font is called veggie burger.

Sent from my rooted, Dark Horse INFECTED Synergy bolt running Ziggys latest.

BurnOne77

Mar 27, 2011
DroidSans.ttf
DroidSans-Bold.ttf

SOOO

DroidSans.ttf > HelveticaNeueLTPro35Th.ttf

DroidSans-Bold.ttf > HelveticaNeueOTS.ttf

copy that

easy then

ty

c_live_lee

SOOO

DroidSans.ttf > HelveticaNeueLTPro35Th.ttf

DroidSans-Bold.ttf > HelveticaNeueOTS.ttf

copy that

easy then

ty

Yep! That's correct! In order for the Synergy font to be used as a System font, it must bear the two "DroidSans/DroidSans-Bold" names. However, I really don't think there is a need for the specifics of your above illustration. What I mean is, You don't have to use both of the DS fonts. You can use either of them for both Helvetica fonts, if you like. For example:

"DroidSans.ttf" can be used for both/either "HelveticaNeueLTPro35Th.ttf" and/or "HelveticaNeueOTS.ttf"

It shouldn't make any difference, really. I hope that isn't too confusing. Having read it back to myself, I think it may be. :D

enkrypt3d

Jul 28, 2010
see im not the only one! hahahh ;) I just used font switcher... much easier and i removed it after i changed the fonts. done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Want Your Sense 3 Lockscreen's Typeface to Match Your System Font?

This is My Method

First things first. You need to make sure you have Root Explorer or an equivalent file manager with root access, as you will need Read/Write permissions for the System folder.

You will also need to obtain your desired font in TrueType format. This will be indicated by the file extension ".ttf" Unlike Windows, Android does not recognize multiple font types.

One last thing before I start:
    DO NOT blame me if you mess up your phone! Make sure to perform a backup BEFORE you do ANYTHING else. If something doesn't go quite right you SHALL find yourself in a boot loop. :D

Ok, now that you've backed up your phone, use Root Explorer (or whatever your poison) to find the font you wish to use and rename it to IDENTICALLY match the following two files:

Click Here Now If You Wish to Use This Tutorial for System Fonts! Otherwise, Continue Below \/\/\/\/

HelveticaNeueLTPro35Th.ttf

HelveticaNeueOTS.ttf

Once you have renamed the files, select both and COPY/PASTE or MOVE them to:

System/fonts

The next step is to simply change the permissions of both files. In Root Explorer, You just long press on a file and select "Permissions" from the pop up menu. There will be slight variations between file managers though. Once you figure out where permissions are located, you'll want to change the permissions of both font files so that they look like this:

ScreenShot-28.png

Now that permissions have been changed, it's time to reboot your phone. Once it's back up, you should see your new font gracing the lock screen. :)

This may help if you would like to adapt this post to change your system font - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16601089&postcount=3

Notes:
    If you didn't notice, there are in fact, two fonts which are being replaced here. The fact is, I'm not sure if both need replacement or just one of them. The first time I tried this, I replaced both and it worked perfectly so, that's how I continue to do it. If you wish to do a little experimenting to see if we only need to do one or if we need both, feel free. I would appreciate it if you'll share your findings, so I can update the OP to reflect this.

Apparently, I also need to add that this tutorial is all based on the assumption that you are coming into it with a font which YOU have found and placed on your SD card. This font will be the one you'll be copying and renaming for placement in the System/fonts folder.

Just a heads up for you guys. Performing this mod will also change the font of your large Sense Weather Widget. This will probably be a plus to the vast majority, many will be indifferent but, for a small percentage of you, it may be a deal breaker. This note is for you. :)

This mod will apparently work on the Desire HD as well, with slightly different results. It seems to work just fine with the exception of the icon labels beneath the lock screen icons. They appear to be unaffected. I have no Desire HD so, I can't help you guys out much here.

Added link in OP to help simplify System Font Adaptation

Now confirmed to be working with BAMF SoaB!

BEFORE (and I'm ONLY referencing the fonts here):
    ScreenShot-21.png

AFTER:
    ScreenShot-27.png
    Alter Tutorial for Sytem Fonts

Ask and ye shall receive! Here's how to adapt this for System Fonts-

The fonts you'll be replacing are:

DroidSans.ttf
    DroidSans-Bold.ttf

You CAN use the same font for both of these but, personally, I prefer to use a normal or thin version of my preferred font, as well as a bold version.

Make sure you name them EXACTLY as the original files are named.

That, as they say, is that! We've pretty much turned this into a dual purpose tutorial because that was the only difference between this tutorial and one for system fonts. :D

But, hold up there, Sparky! You're almost there but, you do need to refer back to the OP so, you can tie up the loose ends. Pick up at the "changing permissions" part.

Edit: DO keep in mind that apps have made it a little "easier" to change system fonts. You can simply download an app such as Font Changer or Font Switcher. I prefer my method because it's quite easy, doesn't add another app to your drawer and makes you just a little more comfortable with the inner workings of your phone.

How about you thank him for the tutorial instead of saying "I really don't care about the fonts on the lock screen."

On a separate note thanks C for the tutorial this will make it to the next version of dark horse when I get to computer that shows a thanks button I will hit it.
    Thanks for this tutorial Lee! Youre awesome bro! Super easy if you know how to read!

Edit:
    You will also need your desired font in TrueType format. This will be indicated by the file extension ".ttf" Unlike Windows, Android does not recognize multiple font types.

DroidSans.ttf
    DroidSans-Bold.ttf