Question re 442 with safe strap

Search This thread

wpix123

Jan 18, 2008
Hi all got my moto x in Dec and love it, but have a question or two and need some assurance what I am doing is correct.

T-Mobile variant 32gb
Rooted wpnomo method with locked boot loader.
Running 4.4

I want to upgrade to 442 but am confused how to do it and not mess up phone.

I installed safe strap yesterday and am ready to back up my device and install it to a slot.
After I do that what is the correct procedure to upgrade to 4.4.2 and retain root.

Also I recently got metropcs $60 unlimited plan . I installed tether exposed module but when I enable tether on my phone my 3ds or laptop fail to connect.
I did the settings db change tether_dun_required to 0 and then ,dun in the APN. No go?

When I had net10(at&t), same 4.4 software last week could tether with Dr and laptop no problem.

Thanks for reading and assistance if can provide.

Dee

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Hi all got my moto x in Dec and love it, but have a question or two and need some assurance what I am doing is correct.

T-Mobile variant 32gb
Rooted wpnomo method with locked boot loader.
Running 4.4

I want to upgrade to 442 but am confused how to do it and not mess up phone.

I installed safe strap yesterday and am ready to back up my device and install it to a slot.
After I do that what is the correct procedure to upgrade to 4.4.2 and retain root.

Also I recently got metropcs $60 unlimited plan . I installed tether exposed module but when I enable tether on my phone my 3ds or laptop fail to connect.
I did the settings db change tether_dun_required to 0 and then ,dun in the APN. No go?

When I had net10(at&t), same 4.4 software last week could tether with Dr and laptop no problem.

Thanks for reading and assistance if can provide.

Dee

Why not UNLOCK your BL? Since you're on T-Mobile Variant, you won't even have to pay...should be able to do it right from moto website.

Then you can root, and use the latest experimental version of Wifi Tether for Root Users (I can CONFIRM that it works perfectly on X). OR you can use the xposed framework and module (which in my opinion is more work than simply installing the Wifi Tether APK...be sure to search this forum to find the exact version that works with the Moto X).

This way, you don't have to bother with safestrap or the exploits. You'll just follow the instructions for the dev edition, which is MUCH easier.

If you do decide to unlock, you will want to SBF back to stock first, to UN-DO the changes that safestrap and MotoWpNoMo did to your filesystem. A 'factory reset' may get rid of safestrap, but likely not MotoWpNoMo. You should return to 100% stock and unlock if you decide to use this method.

Safestrap is a messy and convoluted process. Its very easy for something to go wrong during the process.

Just want to offer up an alternative. You're LUCKY to be able to unlock without having to pay for a code...like many of us did.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

wpix123

Jan 18, 2008
Thanks for the quick response basically I should pull my current version sbf backup he phone.flash back to stock that would remove the boot loader hack etc and become full stock.

Then backup phone unlock bootloader which erases phone then upgrade to 442 then do root with boot loader then restore my phone with titanium backup.

Thanks
Dee from ny

D

Darth

Thanks for the quick response basically I should pull my current version sbf backup he phone.flash back to stock that would remove the boot loader hack etc and become full stock.

Then backup phone unlock bootloader which erases phone then upgrade to 442 then do root with boot loader then restore my phone with titanium backup.

Thanks
Dee from ny

You got it!! Unlock, then you don't need all those exploits.

Unlock bootloader. Flash custom recovery. Root. Done. ;)

wpix123

Jan 18, 2008
Thank you RJ
Please verify doing in right order.

Step 1. Backup phone
2. Rsd lite to stock.
3.unlock boot loader
4.upgrade to 442
5.Restore phone.
6.flash custom recovery.

Secondly what else do I have to do to enable tethering on metropcs/T-Mobile besides system settings db change and appending dun to APN settings

D

Darth

Thank you RJ

Step 1. Backup phone
2. Rsd lite to stock.
3.unlock boot loader
4.upgrade to 442
5.Restore phone.
6.flash custom recovery.

Secondly what else do I have to do to enable tethering on metropcs/T-Mobile besides system settings db change and appending dun to APN settings

Well, I have zero experience with tethering I'm afraid. Lol

And yes, you have it. A couple things tho. You can unlock bootloader at any point. And, what are your backup and restore plans? Would have to be moved off phone before unlocking. Also, you can't restore and system files or settings. :)

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Thank you RJ

Step 1. Backup phone
2. Rsd lite to stock.
3.unlock boot loader
4.upgrade to 442
5.Restore phone.
6.flash custom recovery.

Almost. You really really shouldn't backup the phone. You NEED to start from scratch. If you restore a backup from NOW (with safestrap and motowpnomo) you WILL have issues.

Please follow these steps instead:

1. Make a list of all apps you have installed so you can reinstall later. Backup any pictures you have taken or any other files you want to keep. EVERYTHING will be erased.

2. Use RSD Lite (or manual method) to completely restore to stock. Just flash the 4.4.2 SBF *FOR T-MOBILE VARIANT*, this way you don't need to upgrade later. Don't bother setting anything up yet.... ***DO NOT FLASH THE 4.4.2 SBF UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR UNLOCK KEY IN HAND! Once you flash to 4.4.2 there is NO going back. This will not be an issue at all so long as you get your unlock key and you will be permanently unlocked once you use it.

3. Unlock your BL "fastboot oem unlock uniquekey"

4. FROM THE BOOTLOADER SCREEN (AP Fastboot Mode), Flash TWRP custom recovery using mfastboot (mfastboot flash recovery twrpfilename.img)

5. Type 'adb reboot bootloader' to reboot into the bootloader. Use the down arrow to select "recovery" then press up arrow to boot INTO recovery.

6. Make a backup (optional - this will be your COMPLETELY STOCK backup), then exit TWRP. When you exit, TWRP will ask if you want to install "supersu installer". Tell it YES.

7. Boot up normally. Go ahead and complete the initial setup. Then in the app drawer, run supersu installer. It will give you 2 options. Choose PLAY STORE option. You're now rooted with unlocked bootloader and TWRP custom recovery.

8. Set up everything from scratch. Re-install all the apps you want using the LIST you made in step 1. Copy all saved pictures and files back to the phone.

If you don't follow these steps completely and you try to backup and restore you will have issues. The exploits you used (safestrap and wpmotonomo) will only be completely cleared if you do the SBF to stock. If you do the backup / restore, you will have issues and NOT be happy :p

I'm assuming you know how to use fastboot, and how to boot into the bootloader (turn phone OFF, hold down VOL DOWN, power back on). If you have issues with any of these steps we will help you through it.

ONCE FINISHED, you should just be able to modify the APN settings to get data working. Whatever method you used previously for tethering should work the same. You SHOULD be able to just use the latest experimental version of WIFI Tether for root users. Thats what I'm using, and it works great on my X. Search this forum to find the correct version and appropriate settings. You can also (optionally) use the Xposed framework module instead. Use one or the other, but not both.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: wpix123

wpix123

Jan 18, 2008
Wow thanks for the concise and detailed response.

1, i though when i request code/unlock boot loader automatically it erased my phone so it will be erased here and in rsd lite step2?

For step 3. I do it in the boot loader screen or the regular phone screen?

Step 4. Link to correct twrp file if able to

6. Backup using titanium backup or a different app? How can I exit twrp if will be in the regular phone I thought twrp was pre boot .

Just want to be clear with steps as having 2 toddlers no time to fix issues lol

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Wow thanks for the concise and detailed response.

1, i though when i request code/unlock boot loader automatically it erased my phone so it will be erased here and in rsd lite step2?

For step 3. I do it in the boot loader screen or the regular phone screen?

Step 4. Link to correct twrp file if able to

6. Backup using titanium backup or a different app? How can I exit twrp if will be in the regular phone I thought twrp was pre boot .

Just want to be clear with steps as having 2 toddlers no time to fix issues lol

1. When you unlock, it does the equivalent of a factory reset. This is why I suggest you don't bother setting up the phone after you RSD Lite....because unlocking (step 3) will wipe everything again. It does NOT restore everything (ALL Partitions, even the ones you modified with wpMotoNoMo/safestrap) as using Rsd Lite to SBF back to stock does.

Don't confuse SBFing back to stock with a "factory reset". SBFing (with RSD Lite or manual method) restores ALL the partitions. Factory reset just clears the data and cache partitions. Definitely don't skip step 2...very important if you have used the exploits.

You COULD unlock first, then SBF back to stock, but you may as well just do everything in the steps as ordered.

2. Bootloader screen, yes. Step 3 is ALSO done at bootloader screen, as is step 4. Just reboot after each step (if it doesn't automatically), then do the power off, hold vol down, power back on process. Its safest this way. There is a great guide for step 2 here: http://xdaforums.com/moto...using-t2446515 Just make sure you download the *T-Mobile 4.4.2 SBF*

You can find the SBF files here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

4. TWRP: http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/motox/unlocked/twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img (do not worry that it says 4.4, it WILL work on 4.4.2, I promise) Here are complete instructions for installing TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/recovery-unlocked-twrp-2-6-3-1-android-t2534850

6: You'll backup from within TWRP. Basically you will unplug the USB cord, and power off the phone. Then, While holding VOL DOWN, power it back on. It will take you to bootloader screen. Use the vol down button to highlight 'recovery' and press vol up to select it....then you'll be in TWRP. There's a BIG "backup" button. You'll use this to take a complete backup image.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you RJ

Step 1. Backup phone
    2. Rsd lite to stock.
    3.unlock boot loader
    4.upgrade to 442
    5.Restore phone.
    6.flash custom recovery.

Almost. You really really shouldn't backup the phone. You NEED to start from scratch. If you restore a backup from NOW (with safestrap and motowpnomo) you WILL have issues.

Please follow these steps instead:

1. Make a list of all apps you have installed so you can reinstall later. Backup any pictures you have taken or any other files you want to keep. EVERYTHING will be erased.

2. Use RSD Lite (or manual method) to completely restore to stock. Just flash the 4.4.2 SBF *FOR T-MOBILE VARIANT*, this way you don't need to upgrade later. Don't bother setting anything up yet.... ***DO NOT FLASH THE 4.4.2 SBF UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR UNLOCK KEY IN HAND! Once you flash to 4.4.2 there is NO going back. This will not be an issue at all so long as you get your unlock key and you will be permanently unlocked once you use it.

3. Unlock your BL "fastboot oem unlock uniquekey"

4. FROM THE BOOTLOADER SCREEN (AP Fastboot Mode), Flash TWRP custom recovery using mfastboot (mfastboot flash recovery twrpfilename.img)

5. Type 'adb reboot bootloader' to reboot into the bootloader. Use the down arrow to select "recovery" then press up arrow to boot INTO recovery.

6. Make a backup (optional - this will be your COMPLETELY STOCK backup), then exit TWRP. When you exit, TWRP will ask if you want to install "supersu installer". Tell it YES.

7. Boot up normally. Go ahead and complete the initial setup. Then in the app drawer, run supersu installer. It will give you 2 options. Choose PLAY STORE option. You're now rooted with unlocked bootloader and TWRP custom recovery.

8. Set up everything from scratch. Re-install all the apps you want using the LIST you made in step 1. Copy all saved pictures and files back to the phone.

If you don't follow these steps completely and you try to backup and restore you will have issues. The exploits you used (safestrap and wpmotonomo) will only be completely cleared if you do the SBF to stock. If you do the backup / restore, you will have issues and NOT be happy :p

I'm assuming you know how to use fastboot, and how to boot into the bootloader (turn phone OFF, hold down VOL DOWN, power back on). If you have issues with any of these steps we will help you through it.

ONCE FINISHED, you should just be able to modify the APN settings to get data working. Whatever method you used previously for tethering should work the same. You SHOULD be able to just use the latest experimental version of WIFI Tether for root users. Thats what I'm using, and it works great on my X. Search this forum to find the correct version and appropriate settings. You can also (optionally) use the Xposed framework module instead. Use one or the other, but not both.

Good Luck.