CWM 5.5.0.4 for Gtab--NVFLASH only (BETA from team DRH)

Search This thread

J017373

Dec 15, 2010
THIS IS NOT CWM FLASHABLE. YOU MUST USE NVFLASH

Edit: It has come to my attention that the CWM is 5.5.0.2. This error has since been corrected. Sorry folks. I'm an idiot.

Hey, i hope this doesn't bother anyone but i compilied and easy zip for NVFLAshing the new CWM.

Thanks Fosser, Team DRH, and the BishopofTechnology (all of whoms work this is, i just put it in one place)

Included is the NVflashable info, the drivers for APX, and the new version of CWM.

Do this @ your own risk, i'm not responsible for any problems (i did test it three times, with each version of CWM, if that counts for anything)

Step 1) Get into APX mode (power + Vol-) [the screen will go black. that's what you want

Here's what the Bish says:
Step 2) Connect the GTab to the PC via the USB cable.

• if your PC loads the USB driver and connects to the GTab, SKIP to the “Using NVFlash” section.
  • if the WINDOWS PC fails to load the driver, just click through Start/Control Panel/Device Manager and find “APX” listed in the devices with a yellow “!” (exclamation point) on the icon.
  • Select the APX item and find the “Update Driver” button and click it.
  • When it asks where to search, choose the “local computer” manual selection choice and tell it to Browse to the "Flash USB Drivers".
  • If you go back to Device Manager after the Windows install has completed, it will show the nVidia USB drivers near the top of the USB device list.

Step 3) Run the "nvflash_gtablet.bat"

A CMD prompt will pop up, let it do it's thing (don't stop or unplug during). Give it about a minute or until the CMD prompt disappears. You will the get a message that says "Entering NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p Server"

At this point is should be okay to restart your tab. I'm running Flashback and had no problems staring up.

If you want to check the new CWM, hold the power + Vol+ when restarting and it should put you into recovery.

CONGRATS! You have the new recovery in preparation for ICS.

Once again, none of this is my work--i just put it into a convenient place.

Thanks again to all the Devs and enthusiasts. You make the Gtab worth having!

Edit 1:
Here is the MD5 check: 3DD468C48A3515E6E5A1C1236FF5068E

Edit 2:
The update recovery is with the normal sized Recovery.

Edit 3: 1) It seems this version partitions the external sd card when you choose to partition sd card. 2) choose zip from internal sdcard seems to use the internal memory 3) "FORMAT SDCARD" will FORMAT MICROSD CARD! YOU WERE WARNED

Last edited:

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Anyone that is interested in installing this via CWM, I created a CWM flashable verison from fosser2's download. Here is a link to the "normal font" version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36150173/CWMR5504_recovery.zip. If you want the "big font" version, all you have to do is open the zip, delete the recovery.img, rename the Team DRM/fosser2/plastikman supplied version to recovery.zip & then add it to the zip.

I have installed this on 2 of my gTabs (one gTab Comb v3.3, the other CCCv8) and did not had any issue installing it this way.

Just a few notes on this version; it does give you the ability to flash from both the internal sd & external sd but uses a different naming convention though..."sdcard" is the name used for the external microsd slot and "internal sd" is what we would normally call sdcard. This version also appears to have fixed the "reboot recovery" bootloop bug of cwm3.0.2.8 (or aleast bypassed it)...when I selected "reboot recovery" it did the same as "reboot system now" (as I was doing this I crossed my fingers hoping it wasn't going to bootloop me...yea..no bootloop).

CWMR is touch capable. You scroll/select in 3 different ways...you can either use the capacitive buttons (which have been remapped to...Search is "select", Home is "scroll up", Menu is "Scroll down" and Back is "back"), you can also use the on screen touch controls (back, up, down & return), or you can also swipe up and down to scroll up/down and swipe sideway to select.

Al

PS:

WARNING: This is the beta6 release. The op page over in the Slatedroid gTablet Laboaratory says that selecting repartition will only repartition the EXTERNAL SD. Two users have reported magic value mismatch after repartioning with this version. plastikman, who created it says he is looking into it.

Last edited:

lsu205

Dec 18, 2010
So u can install from the older cwm that's in flashback like any other zip?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Yes but beware of repartition bug

So u can install from the older cwm that's in flashback like any other zip?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App

Yes you can. I installed on both mine from CWM 3.0.2.8.

Please note the warning I put on my previous post! It probably isn't a good ides to "repartition" with this version until plastikman finds the bug. If you need to repartition (which shouldn't be very oftern) you can always flash the old CWM (or stock recovery) via this version. The recoveries are so small that I keep a copy of each on the tablet just in case.

wuilly

Feb 25, 2006
is the download ok i have try to unzip it and it gives me an error file is not a zip file

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Alternate location

is the download ok i have try to unzip it and it gives me an error file is not a zip file

You don't need to unzip it but it does need to be a vailid zip.

Yes, the download is OK from dropbox. I just redownloaded it to my PC & tested the archive. No erors found.

I also put it on mediafire...try this link http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qg3n084hfu783i2 & see if it's any different for you.

Al

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

why does it only boot into CWM mod now? it would boot normally when i was on CWM 3.x.x.x

It shouldn't (and didn't for me). Are you sure you didn't select accidentally hit "reboot recovery" instead of "reboot system now" (since you were still in CWM3.0.2.8 untill you reboot)? If you did accidentally hit reboot recovery then it would have put you in a CWM bootloop.

There are 2 ways I've used to fixed a CWM bootloop (yes I've accidentally hit reboot recovery too)..one was is to use nvflash to format partition 7 (MSC) and the other way is to use CWM to flash stock recovery and then install CWM3.0.2.8 (for b/l1.2) via stock recovery. Formatting MSC is the fastest, but most people I suggest these fixes to choose to do the stock recovery route. If you want detailed instruction for either, let me know.

Al

Last edited:

nyciz

Nov 9, 2007
NYC - now in NE PA or ATL
Great work and thanks for putting in one spot. I'll probably wait till a ICS ROM is released with but must say that this is a great first step till we get it. Cant wait for 10" of ICS....my cappy luvs ICS...

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Edit 3: 1) It seems this version partitions the external sd card when you choose to partition sd card. 2) choose zip from internal sdcard seems to use the internal memory 3) "FORMAT SDCARD" will FORMAT MICROSD CARD! YOU WERE WARNED
What does the recovery do when you don't have a microSD card in the slot. The /etc/recovery.fstab file is setup to fall back to using the internal SD card like CWM-4.0.1.5 is. Does it work on the internal SD card if no external one is present?

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

and the other way is to use CWM to flash stock recovery and then install CWM3.0.2.8 (for b/l1.2) via stock recovery.
That procedure only works as a side effect. Simpler to wipe MSC directly. See post #3 of this thread.

Stash that zip file on you SD card, and if you accidentally select "Reboot recovery", just "flash" it to fix the always boots-to-recovery problem.

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
Just installed using CWM recovey and all is well. Just to test I took out my external sd card and when I went to update from sdcard it showed the content of the internal. So I am guessing that if one would decided to partition there internal sdcard they might need to pull there external out first. Then boot up recovery for there updates.

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
What does the recovery do when you don't have a microSD card in the slot. The /etc/recovery.fstab file is setup to fall back to using the internal SD card like CWM-4.0.1.5 is. Does it work on the internal SD card if no external one is present?

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

That procedure only works as a side effect. Simpler to wipe MSC directly. See post #3 of this thread.

Stash that zip file on you SD card, and if you accidentally select "Reboot recovery", just "flash" it to fix the always boots-to-recovery problem.

Just can't keep up with you raj...why did it take you 2 months to come up with the flashable msc format? Just kidding. I got the format msc from that very thread back in October. Everyone I've run into that is in a CWM loop I've given them the option of formating msc (via nvflash) or flashing stock recovery/then CWM. In every case they have always chosen to flash stock recovery & then flash 3028 (probably because most of the people I help are pretty new to the gTab). I think now they will choose the format via flash method. Thanks for the tip.

Just a question though. Exactly what is the CWM kernel writing to MSC to cause the loop? I assume it is the bootloader that checks for the rocker switch position & some mysterious bit on MSC to determine which kernel to load (but I'm just guessing). But if that is correct then why does flashing stock recovery, doing a normal boot & then flashing CWM fix the problem too (so I'm guessing I am wrong about my guess)? In any case can you explain why it works that way?

Al

Last edited:

nobe1976

Sep 11, 2011
The Darkside
When ahead and changed back. When trying to downgrade to a 2.2 rom ended up with a mix match error on boot up. Looked good for what it is. Expecially liked the touch option on it, but it needs some work.

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
When ahead and changed back. When trying to downgrade to a 2.2 rom ended up with a mix match error on boot up. Looked good for what it is. Expecially liked the touch option on it, but it needs some work.
There are a couple of problems that I noticed with this version of CWM, and which might be responsible for your problems.

1. Roebeet's gtablet.cfg file which almost everybody uses to nvflash back to the 1.2 stock ROM has a bug in the system.img size calculation:
Code:
$ [B]fgrep size= roebeet.cfg[/B]
size=3145728
size=131072
size=2097152
size=131072
size=4194304
size=16777216
size=33554432
size=16777216
size=16777216
size=[B]259715200[/B]
size=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
The second last line is the size of the "system" partition and it is misaligned. Every other partition is correctly rounded up to end at the gTablet's NAND flash erase size (128K). Compare with bekit's gtablet.cfg:
Code:
$ [B]fgrep size= bekit.cfg[/B]
size=3145728
size=131072
size=2097152
size=131072
size=4194304
size=16777216
size=33554432
size=16777216
size=16777216
size=[B]209715200[/B]
size=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Here all the partitions--including the last which uses the remaining available space--are rounded up to a 128K boundary. Looks like roebeet just added 50M to bekit's system.img size without rounding it up. The correct value should've been (using roebeet's system.img size as NUM):
Code:
$ [B]( NUM=$((259715200)); echo $(( (NUM + ((1<<17)-1)) & ~((1<<17)-1) )) )
[/B]259784704
--which brings us to problem no. 2:

2. The CWM-5.5.0.4 Beta 6 has a "cmdline" file containing NAND flash partition sizes which overrides the user's partition sizes read from the Partition Table. This is fine if the sizes are the same, but, a bad idea otherwise. In this CWM, the cmdline file sets "system" to be what we calculated above (259784704) but, which disagrees with the size in the PT (259715200).

Use the zip file in the attachment to empty the cmdline file out. This will cause the partition sizes to be read from the PT on the NAND flash.

My recommendation is that:
1. Users nvflash to 1.2 using either

a) the attached gtablet.cfg which has all the partitions correctly ending at 128K boundaries or

b) bekit's original gtablet.cfg. (This option is what I recommend. The "cache" partition is used for OTA updates and if it is much smaller than the "system" partition--like in roebeet's gtablet.cfg, then, depending on the size of the image, automatic updates might fail.)

2. Install the new CWM-5.5.0.4 Beta 6, and then immediately flash the attached zip file to empty out the cmdline file.

Attachments

• gtablet.cfg.zip
    546 bytes · Views: 155
  • recovery_empty_cmdline-signed.zip
    308.5 KB · Views: 148

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
why did it take you 2 months to come up with the flashable msc format?
Didn't think adb was going to be difficult for people who have no problem with nvflash...

Just a question though. Exactly what is the CWM kernel writing to MSC to cause the loop?
I looked at this sometime back and its complicated. I'll make a post on this later this weekend after I've looked at VS's newly posted 1.2 kernel patch.

I assume it is the bootloader that checks for the rocker switch position & some mysterious bit on MSC to determine which kernel to load (but I'm just guessing).
For "mysterious bit" substitute "string", but, you are correct.

Reactions: viskon

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Have a user over at slatedroid tried it & still got this error.

Magic value mismatch
Critical failure: Unable to start kernel.
Unrecoverable bootloader error (0x00000002)

Trying to get more info on exactly what he did to get the error.

Al

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
CWMR5504 Fixed

Magic value mismatch

Al
Thanks to rajeevp!!

Plastikman verified rajeevvp was correct and has issued an updated CWMR. Here it is in a flashable format http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36150173/CWMR5504_recovery.zip. He switched from using pershoot's kernel (which required the command line) to using the stock kernel. I tested the new version to install a rom, do a factory data reset, a wipe cache, a wipe dalvik & a fix permissions. All worked normally. Give it a try. I also corrected the links in my previous posts to point to the updated version.

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: kozmo2k4 and viskon

viskon

May 4, 2011
Thanks to rajeevp!!

Plastikman verified rajeevvp was correct and has issued an updated CWMR. Here it is in a flashable format http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36150173/CWMR5504_recovery.zip. He switched from using pershoot's kernel (which required the command line) to using the stock kernel. I tested the new version to install a rom, do a factory data reset, a wipe cache, a wipe dalvik & a fix permissions. All worked normally. Give it a try. I also corrected the links in my previous posts to point to the updated version.

Al

Thank you. This worked well for me, since I was not inclined to do the nvflash thing. I was able to boot back into my Beasty+Clemsyn rom without incident. Tested by rebooting again and was able to boot into the rom with no issues.

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
He switched from using pershoot's kernel (which required the command line) to using the stock kernel.
... and in the process also brought back the always-reboots-into-recovery problem, right? Whereas with the pershoot kernel "Reboot Recovery" would just reboot the tablet into the ROM?

BTW, the pershoot kernel doesn't need a cmdline file: craigacgomez's CWM-4.0.1.5 too has a pershoot kernel and its cmdline file is empty. As I mentioned before: if the cmdline file is empty, then the bootloader will construct a cmd line for the kernel.

adca14

Dec 18, 2010
to install the cwm recovery do I simply transfer the zip to the internal sdcard and flash zip from sdcard as if it were a rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a question though. Exactly what is the CWM kernel writing to MSC to cause the loop?
    In any case can you explain why it works that way?
    All right--here's the explanation:

We begin with what happens when a user selects "Reboot recovery" in "Advanced".

- The function show_advanced_menu in extendedcommands.c calls android_reboot(ANDROID_RB_RESTART2, 0, "recovery") (CWM-5.5.0.4).

- That function (implemented in android_system_core/libcutils/android_reboot.c) calls the __reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1, LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC2, LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2, "recovery") function in the Bionic C library. (CWM versions 3.x and 4.x call this __reboot function directly.)

- The Bionic C library __reboot() calls the associated system call in the kernel: SYSCALL_DEFINE4(reboot, int, magic1, int, magic2, unsigned int, cmd, void __user *, arg) (in kernel/sys.c of the kernel source).

Now something interesting happens: In that system call, Tap'NTap, or, Malata, has added a hack to the (nVidia-originated) kernel sources (in both the 1.1 and 1.2 kernel patches) to get their bootloader to boot into recovery mode when the tablet restarts. They check to see if a reboot into recovery is requested, and if it is, writes some strings into the second page of the MSC partition which is the Bootloader Control Block (BCB):
    Code:
    case LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2:
    if(strcmp(buffer, "recovery") == 0) {
            misc_write();
    }
    kernel_restart(buffer);
    - The misc_write() hack (in drivers/mtd/devices/tegra_mtd_nand.c) writes 2 different strings based on the bootloader they assume the kernel to run on. For 1.1 bootloaders they write a "force" string (there is a bug in the source here which will be obvious to C programmers, but, it doesn't affect the final outcome):
    Code:
    /* Write "recovery" in the front of this partition */
    memset(&boot, 0, sizeof(boot));
    // strlcpy(boot.command, "boot-recovery", sizeof(boot.command));
    // strlcpy(boot.recovery, "recovery\n", sizeof(boot.recovery)); //force-recovery
    strlcpy(boot.command, "[B]force[/B]", sizeof("boot.command"));
    For 1.2 bootloaders, they write 2 different strings:
    Code:
    /* Write "recovery" in the front of this partition */
    memset(&boot, 0, sizeof(boot));
    strlcpy(boot.command, "[B]boot-recovery[/B]", sizeof(boot.command));
    strlcpy(boot.recovery, "[B]recovery\n[/B]", sizeof(boot.recovery)); //force-recovery
    // strlcpy(boot.command, "force", sizeof("boot.command"));
    This 1.2 method seems to be the standard Android technique to boot into recovery because those strings are what CWM also uses. I should emphasize here that currently only the VS supplied 1.2 kernels (in ROM or recovery) write the "boot-recovery" string to force a boot into recovery mode. All the custom kernels we use at present still write the "force" string because they are all based off of VS's 1.1 kernel patch. This means that the custom kernels, whether in ROM or recovery, will reboot into recovery mode only on the 1.1 bootloader. On a 1.2 bootloader, the custom kernels will write "force"--which will be ignored.

- After writing the string(s) into the BCB on MSC, the kernel restarts the machine (using kernel_restart(), see above). The "recovery" argument is not used further by any of the functions which kernel_restart() calls to actually restart the tablet: machine_restart() (in kernel/sys.c) -> arm_pm_restart() -> arm_machine_restart() -> arch_reset() (all in arch/arm/kernel/process.c), and finally the arch_reset() implementation in arch/arm/mach-tegra/include/mach/system.h which actually reboots the tablet.

- After the reboot, the bootloader will check the state of the volume rocker and then the BCB to determine which kernel to load. The 1.1 bootloader will load the recovery kernel on either command--"force" or "boot-recovery"--but, it will erase the BCB only for the "force" command. If the command is "boot-recovery", then it is CWM's job to erase the BCB. This is why a "reboot recovery loop" cannot happen on a 1.1 bootloader by selecting that menu item. (Other code paths in CWM, however, can still cause the boot loop by writing "boot-recovery".) The 1.2 bootloader only understands "boot-recovery" and it does not erase the BCB.

- Now we come back to CWM--this time after the reboot. Everytime CWM shows the main menu, it will clear the BCB by calling the finish_recovery function. finish_recovery() (in recovery.c) will try to zero out the BCB in MSC by calling set_bootloader_message() (in bootloader.c). This function, however, will fail to clear the BCB on the gTab because there is no entry for the /misc partition in /etc/recovery.fstab (on CWM >= 3.x, and, the SMBA-1002 device tree. On CWM-2.5.1.x, the paths are hard-coded in the source, and the misc partition is, again, not touched): the volume_for_path("/misc") call will return a NULL. The CyanogenMod guys disabled this entry a long time ago (see this commit) because of problems with writing to the MSC partition.

Fixes
    For CWM >= 3.x, the obvious fix is to add an entry for /misc into /etc/recovery.fstab:
    Code:
    /misc        mtd        misc
    but, I don't think this should be done: The MSC partition is fragile and futzing around with it unnecessarily can result in "hangs". For example, while testing all this out, sometimes writing to MSC would cause I/O errors, and further reads/writes from/to the partition would fail (I blame the poorly written nNvidia/Malata/TnT MTD kernel code for this). Then when I rebooted the tablet, it would just hang--no ROM, no recovery. I had to put the tablet into APX mode and format the MSC partition using nvflash to get the tablet to boot properly.

I recommend that for the gTab, CWM devs just disable the checks for "/misc" in CWM so that it enables a "Format misc" option under "Mounts and storage". Users can use that to get out of the boot-into-recovery loop. Or, just flash my MSC formatting zip file.
    THIS IS NOT CWM FLASHABLE. YOU MUST USE NVFLASH

Edit: It has come to my attention that the CWM is 5.5.0.2. This error has since been corrected. Sorry folks. I'm an idiot.

Hey, i hope this doesn't bother anyone but i compilied and easy zip for NVFLAshing the new CWM.

Thanks Fosser, Team DRH, and the BishopofTechnology (all of whoms work this is, i just put it in one place)

Included is the NVflashable info, the drivers for APX, and the new version of CWM.

Do this @ your own risk, i'm not responsible for any problems (i did test it three times, with each version of CWM, if that counts for anything)

Step 1) Get into APX mode (power + Vol-) [the screen will go black. that's what you want

Here's what the Bish says:
    Step 2) Connect the GTab to the PC via the USB cable.

• if your PC loads the USB driver and connects to the GTab, SKIP to the “Using NVFlash” section.
    • if the WINDOWS PC fails to load the driver, just click through Start/Control Panel/Device Manager and find “APX” listed in the devices with a yellow “!” (exclamation point) on the icon.
    • Select the APX item and find the “Update Driver” button and click it.
    • When it asks where to search, choose the “local computer” manual selection choice and tell it to Browse to the "Flash USB Drivers".
    • If you go back to Device Manager after the Windows install has completed, it will show the nVidia USB drivers near the top of the USB device list.

Step 3) Run the "nvflash_gtablet.bat"

A CMD prompt will pop up, let it do it's thing (don't stop or unplug during). Give it about a minute or until the CMD prompt disappears. You will the get a message that says "Entering NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p Server"

At this point is should be okay to restart your tab. I'm running Flashback and had no problems staring up.

If you want to check the new CWM, hold the power + Vol+ when restarting and it should put you into recovery.

CONGRATS! You have the new recovery in preparation for ICS.

Once again, none of this is my work--i just put it into a convenient place.

Thanks again to all the Devs and enthusiasts. You make the Gtab worth having!

Edit 1:
    Here is the MD5 check: 3DD468C48A3515E6E5A1C1236FF5068E

Edit 2:
    The update recovery is with the normal sized Recovery.

Anyone that is interested in installing this via CWM, I created a CWM flashable verison from fosser2's download. Here is a link to the "normal font" version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36150173/CWMR5504_recovery.zip. If you want the "big font" version, all you have to do is open the zip, delete the recovery.img, rename the Team DRM/fosser2/plastikman supplied version to recovery.zip & then add it to the zip.

I have installed this on 2 of my gTabs (one gTab Comb v3.3, the other CCCv8) and did not had any issue installing it this way.

Just a few notes on this version; it does give you the ability to flash from both the internal sd & external sd but uses a different naming convention though..."sdcard" is the name used for the external microsd slot and "internal sd" is what we would normally call sdcard. This version also appears to have fixed the "reboot recovery" bootloop bug of cwm3.0.2.8 (or aleast bypassed it)...when I selected "reboot recovery" it did the same as "reboot system now" (as I was doing this I crossed my fingers hoping it wasn't going to bootloop me...yea..no bootloop).

CWMR is touch capable. You scroll/select in 3 different ways...you can either use the capacitive buttons (which have been remapped to...Search is "select", Home is "scroll up", Menu is "Scroll down" and Back is "back"), you can also use the on screen touch controls (back, up, down & return), or you can also swipe up and down to scroll up/down and swipe sideway to select.

Al

PS:

WARNING: This is the beta6 release. The op page over in the Slatedroid gTablet Laboaratory says that selecting repartition will only repartition the EXTERNAL SD. Two users have reported magic value mismatch after repartioning with this version. plastikman, who created it says he is looking into it.
    CWMR5504 Fixed

Magic value mismatch

Al
    Thanks to rajeevp!!

Al
    Alright. Download tested and verified. this is deff 5.5.0.4!

sorry again folks