Xposed - Legacy thread. Don't panic, Xposed is still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

endiz

Dec 13, 2005
Toronto
Hey there~
I got into some trouble with Xposed frame work in my moto x
I can install the frame work, but after that I have to soft reboot my device, rather than regular reboot, otherwise the frame work just won't work,
And when I plug in some modules, I have to softreboot again, and some times I will stuck at the end of the boot animation, so I have to reboot it by pressing the power botton for 10 sec.

All in all, as long as I reboot my phone regularly, the frame work will not work, the only way is to softreboot.

the information showed in the frame work label after I install and successfully softreboot is: app_process 42(both in active and bundled)
after I reboot my phone regularly, is shows: app_process: --- (both in active and bundled)

I bought my phone from motomaker, without a contract.

Thanks for the great app, hope it could be better~

It's nto installing properly on my motox as well. Same symptoms, the app installs fine but after rebooting the process isn't there anymore.

endiz

Dec 13, 2005
Toronto
It's nto installing properly on my motox as well. Same symptoms, the app installs fine but after rebooting the process isn't there anymore.

*uodate* fixed it. You need to boot into recovery mode to enable r/w for system, then run the install script. While you have r/w I also recommend installing busybox

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

zopfan

Dec 2, 2010
Need step by step instructions.

Xposed Framework v2.2+ has fixed JB4.3 installation, but for those that still want it, or cannot install via the APK due to /system write protection like HTC's S-ON, here is an updated zip frontend method for installing the framework; now for Xposed Framework v2.3.1.

You MUST have the Xposed Installer APK installed FIRST. The zip will detect if you do not and stop.

Flash this in recovery and my frontend script (the update-binary) will detect the correct architecture and SDK version to use the appropriate Xposed app_process and busybox builds (x86, armv5, v6 and v7 & sdk 15 and 16+ supported), and should detect the uid of the Xposed Installer APK on-the-fly and set up the required files with it.

It leaves a log behind in /data/local/tmp/xposed-log.txt either way with more details about how it went. :cool:

It also unpacks Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip to /sdcard/ to be as close to the APK install method as possible. For those wanting another method to reactivate after a ROM update or toggle Xposed disabled/enabled, @amishxda has also created a cool "Xposed toggler" zip here.

Note: Xposed Framework files and the install.sh used are the work of @rovo89 and @Tungstwenty; I have only created a recovery flashable zip to function as an alternative frontend for the framework installation process. I take no credit for their fantastic work.

P.S. If you found this handy then please check out my Odds and Ends thread for more flashable goodness. :D

5351 downloads of v2.1.4 when removed. 1049 downloads of v2.2 (combined zip v1 and v2) when removed.

Thank you very much. I've Xperia Z with 4.2.2 version. Non rooted.
I've installed xposed framework installer (installed latest version just yesterday). But that didn't work.
:confused:
Should I install your solution? If it can benefit me, can you pls provide main points/steps of installation (I'm a power user who hasn't tried rooting yet). Or tell if its not for normal android users like me.

Thank u. Do point me to right direction.

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
Thank you very much. I've Xperia Z with 4.2.2 version. Non rooted.
I've installed xposed framework installer (installed latest version just yesterday). But that didn't work.
:confused:
Should I install your solution? If it can benefit me, can you pls provide main points/steps of installation (I'm a power user who hasn't tried rooting yet). Or tell if its not for normal android users like me.

Thank u. Do point me to right direction.

xposed framework requires root..

rovo89

Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2012
I know that there is a lot of work behind Xposed Framework but I dont understand why people who makes tweaks has not switched to Cydia Substrate yet for all the advantages that it offers and the experience of Saurik in that. is there any reason?

Is the Android version of the "system" that allows jailbroken iOS versions to have all the amazing tweaks that they have. It works injecting code into apps in a similar way to XPOSED but with much more possibilities, secure and better performance. Its creator Saurik has worked with that for years so it has a great support. Just search "Xposed Cydia Substrate" in google and in the first result you can read the differences.

We really need to start switching to that, its important that implements a Safe Mode and a much more safety system and gives much more options for making amazing tweaks.

So... how many of your points are really your own opinions and experiences and how many did you just take over from the article?

I have read that article a while ago and it really annoyed me. It's obvious that it's biased, and that's neither unexpected nor wrong. What annoyed me was that lots of things he mentioned about Xposed are so wrong that I really wonder whether he even wanted to get them right and do a fair comparison or just wanted to put Cydia Substrate into a good light at the expense of Xposed. Plus several "facts" are actually just his opinion expressed in a way that make them sound like the only possible truth. I felt the need to post a response to this article ever since I've read it, but it will be quite long and other things have been more important to me. So I can't give you a full comparison now.

Just a few sentences to the points you mentioned:
- "much more possibilities": Which are the most important ones to you personally? Cydia Substrate has one additional feature that I find cool (hook C functions, not to be confused with Java native functions/JNI). Only a minority of developers will understand and use it though, for most modifications it's fine if you can change apps. Apart from that, I think that all the helpers in Xposed (like registering callbacks for the time a specifc app is loaded or the resource replacement API) add very much value to the pure concept that Cydia Substrate doesn't have.
- "secure": That's one of the worst things about the article. Using standard Android permissions is not any more secure because any app moved to /system/app will get any permissions automatically. They have the disadvantage which Saurik learned about himself later: "I did not realize that downloading WinterBoard and Substrate from the Play Store would have a check-and-the-egg problem with defining and activating the security permission. I will look into a better solution to this going forward. In the mean time, 0.9.3921 detects this and asks the user to uninstall and reinstall WinterBoard :(" That's exactly the reason why I didn't use them. Xposed does have a security barrier, you need to enable modules after installing them (with the additional benefit that you can also disable them). Xposed does not really destroy the Java security system because it doesn't have one in the first place. With reflection, any app can call methods it wouldn't be allowed to call and get+set field contents.
- "better performance": Out of the hundreds of thousands of Xposed users, only a few have complained about some lags. Keep in mind that we are talking about some microseconds here, about ~0.07 milliseconds overhead per call. That's measurable, but hardly noticable. I'm currently testing improvements that would bring this down to ~0.013 milliseconds per call. It should be obvious that additional code needs additional processing time, but compared to the rest of the processing in Android, that's almost nothing.

The "safe mode" is nice. Tungstwenty and me discussed about something like this in July 2012 already (if not earlier). It's a bit easier for newbies, but you can achieve the same (and even more) by flashing the zip file in recovery. If someone doesn't know how to do it, I doubt he should install any framework of this kind or anything else which integrates so deeply with the system. Anyway, there is a proof of concept branch by Tungstwenty in the Xposed repository to detect keys, so I guess this feature will come to Xposed sooner or later.

There are definitely other things to mention like Xposed being open-source, but as I said, that would require a separate article.

As for experience: I'm still young, but nevertheless I have developed for years (including several low-level and reverse-engineering projects), studied IT and work for a big software company. I have been working on Xposed for more than 1.5 years and would say that I know much about the Android code base. Although Saurik has even more experience, I don't think it's a reason to prefer Cydia Substrate.

Of course, everyone is free to decide what they want to use. Let's not start a flame war here. But if you want to convince people to switch, the arguments must be correct, especially if they are about how Xposed seems to be doing things wrong instead of highlighting the unique features of other approaches.

rovo89

Jan 4, 2012
*uodate* fixed it. You need to boot into recovery mode to enable r/w for system, then run the install script. While you have r/w I also recommend installing busybox

Interesting, so your recovery allows you to enable write-access to the /system partition, it's not possible to remount it r/w while the system is running? Which install script you are referring to?

xposed framework requires root..

He could try it anyway (after making a backup, of course). The only thing root is currently needed for is the installation /system/bin/app_process and to reboot. Not sure if it will work if he flashes the zip instead, but it might.

endiz

Dec 13, 2005
Toronto
Interesting, so your recovery allows you to enable write-access to the /system partition, it's not possible to remount it r/w while the system is running? Which install script you are referring to?

I agree, really strange behaviour. I'm running the stock motox "recovery". I put recovery in quotes because it's not a real recovery that we know of. When you boot into the bootloader and select recovery, all it does is boot you back into android with /system r+w . Once you reboot, system locks up again.

This wouldn't be the case for users installing a custom recovery like twrp or cwm.

A

AndroidSlave

@rovo89 thank you for all you do. Please don't get discouraged by idiots negativity.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

rovo89

Jan 4, 2012
@rovo89 thank you for all you do. Please don't get discouraged by idiots negativity.

Thanks for the encouragement. However, please don't insult people with a different opinion. I would say it's unfair to tell wrong things (even if it's not with bad intentions but due to lack of research/understanding), but we shouldn't get too emotional about it.

Last edited:

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens
So... how many of your points are really your own opinions and experiences and how many did you just take over from the article?

Something like this is just like Operating systems or mods like the custom Android theme chooser. They are only useful as long as there are Modules/Apps/Themes available to them. Therefore we can't have to many of them. Xposed has already started becoming well integrated into the custom Android community, so I don't see any chance of this other similar project getting very far, as mod developers will stick to the largest user base and users will stick to the largest mod base. It is properly a fine project, but with xposed in it's current popular stage, I see no need or use for it.

Also, Android is very different from IOS. I would rather use something build specifically for Android, rather than something translated from IOS. I myself have ported things from one Platform/Language to another, and even though it works fine, the result is still better when building from scratch with that Platform/Language in mind.

About security. I find the framework (not xposed) itself a security risk as it is closed source. I would never grand a closed source project with this much power and control. There is no limit for things like this. You can install all the security apps, firewalls etc. that Play Store has available, it will not help you. These frameworks and their mods can access anything as anything. They can bypass any type of security and do whatever they want without you knowing it. I feel safe using Xposed, because I have access to the source and know that @rovo89 is not hiding anything that he shouldn't. But I don't know what this other framework is hiding. The dev could be a secret Facebook employee ;)

daoudedy

Feb 1, 2012
Batroun
Not sure if I understood you correctly. You flashed the zip file from the first post (which should also be put to your SD card automatically), it gave you a success message but it still doesn't boot? That's very strange, because once the original /system/bin/app_process has been restored (which is what the zip does), there is no chance Xposed could be loaded. If that is true, you probably have to reflash your ROM (you can keep /data untouched) or restore the latest backup.

It seems that the module list (http://dl.xposed.info/repo.xml.gz) can't be loaded from your phone. Did the list vanish completely after clearing data+cache? Can you open the URL from a browser? Any error messages when you press reload? Did you maybe block internet access for Xposed?

The one that was quoted: Possibly partly, at least those modules which need to do anything with resources won't work.

after clearing the cache and data the module list was empty, pressed reload and the same outdated module list appears with no change. tried to downgrade the xposed installer app to the version 2.3 and only shows the update of xposed firmware with green words and the list still outdated. i can download modules i can connect to the repo. but i cant receive the new modules update.

Sent from my GT-I9300

miro666

Jul 1, 2007
Osijek
Was work without any problem on SGS 4 (i9505) on 4.2.2. rom. Now,on 4.3 i have not repo download module, xposed give som error and off the apk. Alll other work. On/off module, updating xposede, itd. What wrong with repo for downloading module ?

Wondersnite

Jan 27, 2013
So now that 4.4 factory images are out for the Nexus 4 (assuming you own a Nexus 4), does that change anything concerning the ETA on 4.4 support? Not trying to complain, just curious if the there's any chance Xposed will work before November 22 + shipping time + working on support time.

Assuming the ETA is the same, is there any way to manually install the framework? I remember it was possible to manually install it back when 4.3 came out (XDA thread), but since KitKat seems to have changed lots of things, I'm not sure that method will work. I like Xposed too much to update if that means I'll be losing support :p

egingell

Apr 10, 2012
blog.sophielabuf.com
So now that 4.4 factory images are out for the Nexus 4 (assuming you own a Nexus 4), does that change anything concerning the ETA on 4.4 support? Not trying to complain, just curious if the there's any chance Xposed will work before November 22 + shipping time + working on support time.

Assuming the ETA is the same, is there any way to manually install the framework? I remember it was possible to manually install it back when 4.3 came out (XDA thread), but since KitKat seems to have changed lots of things, I'm not sure that method will work. I like Xposed too much to update if that means I'll be losing support :p

He *only* has an SGS2. And don't ask devs for ETAs.

Sent from my SGS4.

Reactions: NinjaPlease

earth08

Jan 4, 2011
Ok I have further modified my Xposed_toggle flash script. (attached)

It should work even with OLDER versions of Xposed and should work with newer version of Xposed as well.

i.e. its no more dependent of app_process version.

Procedure

1. For versions older than Xposed 2.2, flash the attached zip before you flash new ROM. It will backup app_process if backup does not exist. Xposed version 2.2 and later does not need this step.
  2. Flash your ROM i.e. follow regular process of updating ROM (do not wipe data)
  3. Before restarting mobile, flash this script again! (It will enable Xposed)

Read the output which gives you idea what it did.

If you make any mistake, its easy to UNDO. Just flash it again!

thanks for your great work.

rovo89

Jan 4, 2012
after clearing the cache and data the module list was empty, pressed reload and the same outdated module list appears with no change. tried to downgrade the xposed installer app to the version 2.3 and only shows the update of xposed firmware with green words and the list still outdated. i can download modules i can connect to the repo. but i cant receive the new modules update.
It's strange that you get the old module list... Could you open http://dl.xposed.info/repo.xml.gz in the browser (on your phone), download and attach it? The only real explanation I have that the file must be cached somewhere. Are you behind a proxy or something?

Was work without any problem on SGS 4 (i9505) on 4.2.2. rom. Now,on 4.3 i have not repo download module, xposed give som error and off the apk. Alll other work. On/off module, updating xposede, itd. What wrong with repo for downloading module ?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you have written. Can you please try to write in more understandable English and/or attach screenshots to show the problem?

@rovo89 now that the 4.4 images for mako an the other supported nexus device are out is there any chance to get xposed working faster?
Just two posts before yours, you could read the answer.

Reactions: NinjaPlease

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
It's strange that you get the old module list... Could you open http://dl.xposed.info/repo.xml.gz in the browser (on your phone), download and attach it? The only real explanation I have that the file must be cached somewhere. Are you behind a proxy or something?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you have written. Can you please try to write in more understandable English and/or attach screenshots to show the problem?

Just two posts before yours, you could read the answer.

saw it just now, i missed it the first time while fighting to block the contextual search weird spy glass from the xda code :/

apsac

Nov 15, 2013
Function parameters

Hey,

Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread (I suspect it must've done) but I couldn't find it through the search.

Have been having no problems using the framework to hook functions generally but can't figure out how to hook a function when it takes a param that I don't have the import for.

For example, from decompiling an app I can see classA has a method like methodA(String param1, customClass param2)

I want to say something like findAndHookMethod("com.blah.classA", lpparam.classLoader, "methodA", String.class, customClass.class, new XC_MethodHook...etc.

Obviously this doesn't compile because it can't resolve customClass.

Any tips on how to resolve this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xposed 2.4 beta1/beta2

This is Xposed version 2.4 beta1. The main new features and fixes in this version are:
    • Support for Android 4.4 (KitKat)
    • Significant performance improvements of the framework
    • Viewer for the debug.log in the installer
    • Check in the installer whether Xposed is actually active and working

First of all, I would like to thank the 45 people who donated to get me a Nexus 5, from a little "thanks" to huge amounts of money. I was really impressed and hope you like this update.

In detail:
    Xposed should now fully support KitKat. As mentioned, that wouldn't have been possible at this time without your support.
    Modules should continue to work if they don't rely on AOSP internals that have changed in KitKat. One example: It seems that the battery icon is no longer an (animated) image, but a Java implementation. Obviously, any modules that try to replace the battery image will no longer work. The Xposed framework can't do anything here, the module needs to be rewritten. Therefore, if some of your modules don't work, please get in contact with the module author first. You will probably see an error in the new debug.log viewer in this case.
    Xposed isn't compatible with ART, I can't say yet whether it will be in the future (will require a major rewrite if possible at all). As you would get into a bootloop if you try to combine Xposed+ART, Xposed automatically resets the choice to "Dalvik". If you want to test ART, you must uninstall the framework.

The performance improvements apply to the very core of Xposed, the method hooks, in all Android versions. In a test app developed by @exidler, the overhead per call used to be ~71 μs (= 0.071 ms) per call to a hooked method (with one empty callback handler) on my Galaxy S2. Now it's ~13 μs (= 0.013 ms). That's a relative improvement of factor ~5.5x. Thanks to @exidler for the research and several suggestions! I have sent a pre-beta to @kamso, who had reported lags with older versions. Now everything works fine for him. Anyway, I wouldn't say that Xposed had bad performance before. Keep in mind that we are talking about significantly less than a millisecond here.

The debug.log viewer should give a quick impression whether Xposed and modules could be loaded fine. It also includes options to save the log to SD card (so it's easier to transfer it to a PC etc.) and send it via mail.

The Xposed Installer now checks whether the latest version of the framework is active. If not (e.g. because it's not installed yet, you forgot to reboot or something in Xposed doesn't work), you will see a warning in the welcome screen and at the top of the module list.

Finally, there were some other minor improvements and fixes and new/updated translations.

Developers:
    As a reminder, please keep the debug.log clean. It's only helpful if it's not as spammed as logcat. You should only use XposedBridge.log() for error messages and other unexpected situations. If everything runs fine, it shouldn't write anything to the log. If you really need to keep some logging in published builds, please use either logcat or make it an opt-in options (i.e. disabled by default and the user enables it if he runs into problems).

Apart from that, there was a little API change: https://github.com/rovo89/XposedBridge/commit/3c18f6f6bd4e0ec57898b3b3a79b5584d0396054
    I assume that very few modules use the "extra" field to transfer information between beforeHookedMethod() and afterHookedMethod(). If you do, simply replace it by getExtra().

Layout inflation hooks now also work if the layout has been included in other layouts. That's actually a pretty tricky use-case for the "extra" parameter mentioned about (and other tricky technologies).

If for some reason you need to determine the active XposedBridge version in your module, you can use XposedBridge.XPOSED_BRIDGE_VERSION.

findMethodBestMatch() now also looks for protected and package-private methods in superclasses. That's mainly useful if you use the callMethod() or callStaticMethod() helper.

UPDATE: (beta2)
    The new beta should fix the "read-only filesystem" errors. If you used to experience them, please try this version. Otherwise, there is no need (and no advantage) to update.

UPDATE:
    The final version is out, please use it instead (see first post / in-app installer).
    The ART of patience

Regarding ART possibly becoming the default runtime engine: I think that's good news because it means that we will get a stable version of ART then. I'm reluctant to work further on ART support at the moment for mainly three reasons:

1. Time. I used to spend every evening and every weekend for Xposed, either to give support here (often answering the same questions again and again), writing code or researching about bugs or new ideas. As you may have noticed, there are now days or even weeks where I don't even log on to XDA, and I'm actually glad about this.

2. Experimental software is bound to contain bugs, even severe ones. There is a reason why Google didn't make this choice available for the typical user (and keep in mind, we are not typical users). I neither want people to blame Xposed if their phone starts acting up nor do I want to hunt bugs which are caused by a runtime engine that is explicitely labelled as not finished yet.

3. As long as ART is experimental, it's much easier to make big changes to the code. Once a final version is out and used by the masses, quality engineers we be much more careful not to break things. That means that Xposed for ART on 4.5 (or whatever it will be called) might need to be completely different than for ART on 4.4. More variants means more time for maintenance. And I don't feel like pushing something out now just to drop support again in a later version. There is not enough benefit of using ART at the moment to justify that.

You know, I had already worked on ART support and spent several dozens of hours reading the code, looking for ways to hijack it, implementing my ideas, doing trial and error and starting again from the beginning. I finally had my Nexus 5 boot with Xposed in early December and quickly tested the App Settings module. I'm happy about that, but I also know that this was just a very experimental version, less ready than ART itself. It is totally hacked together and only tested with the stock ROM. ART is quite complex and has several different modes. It's not worth giving the current development to someone else before I have tested these things on my phone, where I can debug much better than instructing someone else to do it. It also requires rewriting app_process to be a light executable again, which loads either the Dalvik or ART Xposed library, depending on your settings. That would require changes in the installer as well, etc. etc.

So you see, there is still lots of work to do. At the moment, I'm not actively working on it, but trying to get some other things fixed (e.g. LG ROMs) or improved (installation via recovery, better installation feedback in case root access failed, static Busybox package). And as I said, I do have other things in my life as well. It's not about money, that's what I have my full-time job for. I work on Xposed for fun (and maybe a bit for the reputation ;)), so the best way to ensure that I keep on working on it is not taking away the fun part of it. Don't pressure me like it was my duty to implement something ASAP (!!!), be patient even if it takes a bit longer until I answer and join the volunteers who help answering basic questions here so I don't have to. Thanks!
    General information on Xposed has been moved to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/xposed-installer-versions-changelog-t2714053
    The FAQ has been moved to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/-t2735540
    Questions, suggestions, bug reports and so on can be posted in the Xposed General forum (for the installer/framework/development only) and in the Xposed Framework modules forum (for anything module-related).
    Xposed Framework Installer (Flashable Zip)

Announcement: Xposed Framework v2.5+ comes with an option to flash its own install zip via recovery, making my package obsolete. I'll leave them up for posterity; could be useful should the need arise for downgrading on some devices. Cheers all! 10000 downloads is pretty cool. :)

Xposed Framework v2.2+ has fixed JB4.3 installation and v2.4+ has added support for KK4.4, but for those that still want it, or cannot install via the APK due to /system write protection like HTC's S-ON, here is an updated zip frontend method for installing the framework; now for Xposed Framework v2.4.1.

You MUST have the Xposed Installer APK installed FIRST. The zip will detect if you do not and stop.

Flash this in recovery and my frontend script (the update-binary) will detect the correct architecture and SDK version to use the appropriate Xposed app_process and busybox builds (x86, armv5, v6 and v7 & sdk 15 and 16+ supported), and should detect the uid of the Xposed Installer APK on-the-fly and set up the required files with it.

It leaves a log behind in /data/local/tmp/xposed-log.txt either way with more details about how it went. :cool:

It also unpacks Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip to /sdcard/ (or /sdcard/0/ if it exists) to be as close to the APK install method as possible. For those wanting another method to reactivate after a ROM update or toggle Xposed disabled/enabled, @amishxda has also created a cool "Xposed toggler" zip here.

Note: Xposed Framework files and the install.sh used are the work of @rovo89 and @Tungstwenty; I have only created a recovery flashable zip to function as an alternative frontend for the framework installation process. I take no credit for their fantastic work.

P.S. If you found this handy then please check out my Odds and Ends thread for more flashable goodness. :D

5351 downloads of v2.1.4 when removed. 1049 downloads of v2.2 when removed.
    Xposed 2.5 final

This is Xposed version 2.5 (final). The main new features and fixes in this version are:
    • Rewritten framework installation/uninstallation
      • Uses interactive su (via libsuperuser) to provide improved compatibility with different Superuser apps
      • Better feedback when root access fails (doesn't freeze the app anymore)
      • Offers installation via custom recovery (CWM/TWRP), either flashing the file automatically or manually
    • Safemode to disable Xposed with hardware keys to get out of (most) bootloops
    • Compatibility with Sony/LG ROMs (4.3 and 4.4), Meizu ROMs (4.4)
    • Debug setting to disable resource hooking as a temporary workaround for incompatibilities with some theming engines (not all modules can be used in this mode)
    There are also other improvements and fixes, especially many translations updates.
    In case you get a message "Segmentation fault" during installation, you can now download an additional app which provides statically compiled versions of BusyBox (a lot bigger, but should work with every ROM). It's not needed otherwise.

Quick explanation of the safemode: It was developed by @Tungstwenty and makes it possible to disable Xposed by repeatedly pressing one of the hardware buttons during early startup. The phone will vibrate twice when the first key press has been detected. Then you have five seconds to press the same button four more times. Each key press will be confirmed with a short vibration; the final one with a long vibration. It creates /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which prevents most of Xposed's actions (e.g. no hooks are made and no modules are loaded). There's no 100% guarantee that this will get you out of a bootloop, but in most cases it should.

As always, you can download it via the in-app updater or from http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk.