[Q] Downloading and Flashing Entire ROM via SP Flash Tool

Search This thread

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
:mad:

Hello!

I need some help and I know this is the place to find it!

I have searched for several days all over the internet trying to read and gather information, and I am coming up short.

I know Bruno Martins has posted some information on his blog on how to "readback" (backup) your current rom for your phone, but there is no information on how to flash the entire ROM package back to your phone (at least with regard to the errors you may receive).

Basically, I am looking for some help on how to backup one of my phones entire rom package and put it on my other phone that I messed up via the Smart Phone Flash Tool (the exact same model: Star Touch Diamond 2 B2000 MT6573).

The new phone works perfect, I have never touched it, my old phone which is the same model I deleted and formatted the system so I need to put the stock rom on.

I was able to do a "backup" of my new phone, but when i try to flash the preloader and uboot, etc, the sp flash tool says error loading file, or region too large with overlap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my phone is not bricked, but I cannot access recovery! I was able to find and install another fully assembled rom to my phone and the phone does power on with lights, but it doesnt have the display driver I need so I cannot see anything.

The reason I flashed another rom was because the phone was essentially bricked and wouldnt do anything, and that was the only rom I could find on the internet that was a full package (preloader, uboot, system, etc) but isnt compatible with phone.

Anyhow, if I understand correctly I need to use hexadecimal calculator to find length of partitions of original phones rom, readback the files, somehow edit the preloader file? then flash them back to the old phone?

Please help!

I would love to make a tutorial of this method with pictures and possible errors for everyone if we could get this solved!

Please point me in the right direction!

And I wanted to thank BRUNO in advance for his hard work and help!!

Last edited:
Reactions: vinaysweetheart007

stokemonkey

Jun 2, 2012
Washington DC/Va Beach
have you tried the neutrino rom from notorious? its reallllly small around 50mb. you may be able to install that since it so small, then work your way back down? not too sure and i can say im no grandmaster but it might work!:D

***derp. neutrino... thats for atrix only. but hey same concept. maybe a small barebones rom will get you running enough to get things done properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinaysweetheart007

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
Hello stokemonkey!

No, I have not tried the neutrino rom. My main goal is to take my working phone and copy the firmware to my other phone which is the same model. I attempted to flash a rom and then it didnt work out so well (phone still lights up, drivers are not compatible).

I all else fails I can attempt the neurtino rom (as long as you dont have to install from sd card zip file because I cannot!)

stokemonkey

Jun 2, 2012
Washington DC/Va Beach
the neutrino is an Atrix 4G rom only, so you cant use it and it also needs to be installed via internal so its a no go either way. :( isnt your phone the china "htc" model? i dont have much user time on an htc so im not too sure what you can do?
again id try to find a barebones that you can flash the way you did with the rom that gave you errors. ill try to do some searching too and see what i can find. let me know if you get anything workin! and if there is someone else out there that can enlighten the both of us help would be appreciated!

and isnt yours like an evo 4g? maybe one of those roms will work?

Last edited:

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for your response and suggestions. I will try to dish up a small tutorial with how far I can get in the backup/flashing process. I can check for an evo 4g rom and see what the specs are. The current rom I used i believe works, but doesnt have the video driver so the screen has no image. I believe each partition of ram has a set size so you can only flash a rom for the mt6573 chipset which will fit in the available space for each partition and also happens to contain the video, audio, bluetooth, etc drivers.

I have used SP Flash Tool and was able to backup all of the partitions of my working phone but the SP Flash Tool gives all sorts of errors when I try to load the files and flash them to my non-working phone.

The funny thing is that I downloaded files for a different phones rom and was able to flash those to the non-working phone, as mentioned in my previous post, which allows the phone to power on, but the phone doesnt work besides lighting up.

I know it is possible to make a backup of my good phone and flash that rom onto my non-working phone, I just dont know what I am doing wrong.

So far, this is what I have done . . .

1. Installed SDK tools for android
2. Obtained my scatter txt file by using command prompt
3. Used MTKRomStudio to open that file which tells me the addresses of all the partitions and their file sizes
4. Used SP Flash Tool V.2.11.29.00 to "readback" (backup) each individual rom file (preloader, uboot, bootimg, android, dsp, etc)
5. Confirmed the file sizes of each of the above files to what MTKRomStudio said the file size should be
6. Attempted to load these files into SP Flash Tool and get errors such as "partition too large, failed to load", or "partitions overlap".
7. I was able to open some of the partitions such as android, and usrdata but when attempting to flash I receive errors such as "dram error".
8. I was able to download an entire backup of all "readback" files for a different model phone, and each one of those files loaded fine and downloaded to my non-working phone.
9. Just to mention, my non-working phone was completely dead (no power up, no lights) before I flashed the random phone rom I found online, and now at least it powers up (lights up).

LeStonga

Mar 3, 2009
Anyone have any information? I have created a small visual representation of what I have been looking at and messing around with. Let me know!

CrimsonX

Jul 7, 2012
Mt6573 phone flash help

Hi all, I need help. I used sp flash tool and flashed the original files to my phone. I then restarted the phone and it would not go past the blue android screen. I let se overnight and still no success. After that i flash the boot and still no progress. Finally i flashed the uboot and now it only lights up but no picture at all. I have used sp flash to try to flash the entire file system back to the mt6573 but it will not flash the recovery, android, or sec_ro files. Can anyone help?

Whistler011

Jun 24, 2009
Zurich
Hi all, I need help. I used sp flash tool and flashed the original files to my phone. I then restarted the phone and it would not go past the blue android screen. I let se overnight and still no success. After that i flash the boot and still no progress. Finally i flashed the uboot and now it only lights up but no picture at all. I have used sp flash to try to flash the entire file system back to the mt6573 but it will not flash the recovery, android, or sec_ro files. Can anyone help?

Same problem here except I can't flash dsp and preloader

UPDATE : flash worked finaly.my phone is fixed

Sent from my GT-P5110 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

shaamt

Oct 4, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
shaamtfractal.com
4. Used SP Flash Tool V.2.11.29.00 to "readback" (backup) each individual rom file (preloader, uboot, bootimg, android, dsp, etc)

I'm using MTK6573 phone but could i know how do you start the "readback" using SP Flash. I'm not able to start it while holding VOL-UP button and connect the USB data cable into your phone. Are there any other methods to start it. Thanks for your help.

e-lime

Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for your response and suggestions. I will try to dish up a small tutorial with how far I can get in the backup/flashing process. I can check for an evo 4g rom and see what the specs are. The current rom I used i believe works, but doesnt have the video driver so the screen has no image. I believe each partition of ram has a set size so you can only flash a rom for the mt6573 chipset which will fit in the available space for each partition and also happens to contain the video, audio, bluetooth, etc drivers.

I have used SP Flash Tool and was able to backup all of the partitions of my working phone but the SP Flash Tool gives all sorts of errors when I try to load the files and flash them to my non-working phone.

The funny thing is that I downloaded files for a different phones rom and was able to flash those to the non-working phone, as mentioned in my previous post, which allows the phone to power on, but the phone doesnt work besides lighting up.

I know it is possible to make a backup of my good phone and flash that rom onto my non-working phone, I just dont know what I am doing wrong.

So far, this is what I have done . . .

1. Installed SDK tools for android
2. Obtained my scatter txt file by using command prompt
3. Used MTKRomStudio to open that file which tells me the addresses of all the partitions and their file sizes
5. Confirmed the file sizes of each of the above files to what MTKRomStudio said the file size should be
6. Attempted to load these files into SP Flash Tool and get errors such as "partition too large, failed to load", or "partitions overlap".
7. I was able to open some of the partitions such as android, and usrdata but when attempting to flash I receive errors such as "dram error".
8. I was able to download an entire backup of all "readback" files for a different model phone, and each one of those files loaded fine and downloaded to my non-working phone.
9. Just to mention, my non-working phone was completely dead (no power up, no lights) before I flashed the random phone rom I found online, and now at least it powers up (lights up).

I have a MT6575 phone and I have exactly your nr. 7 issue (BROM ERROR:S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL(5054)). Were you able to get this working somehow? I am confident that the selected partitions are for this phone as I read them out myself. But flashing back won't work. Does anyone have any leads?

arth_ur

Jan 1, 2012
Kolozsvar
I have a MT6575 phone and I have exactly your nr. 7 issue (BROM ERROR:S_DL_GET_DRAM_SETTING_FAIL(5054)). Were you able to get this working somehow? I am confident that the selected partitions are for this phone as I read them out myself. But flashing back won't work. Does anyone have any leads?

If you have the correct files use the newest version:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982587

It is easy to mess things up if you try random files.

DollarStrawz

Apr 21, 2013
Boise
OnePlus 5T
MTK 6577 and SP Flash Tool

I too am also having problems with the flash tool. I am trying to help a friend bring his chinese note 2 clone back to life. He somehow got CWM onto the phone and the custom recovery seems to be functioning properly, but I cant find any sort of ROM file to flash in recovery.

Now I am going back and trying to restore the phone to factory using the flash tool. Installed the VCOM drivers, then went to load the scatter file we obtained from the factory (Bro Tech) it says the scatter file is incorrect format?

My question is: are there any roms we could try to flash on this phone from CWM or do we have to use the Flash Tool? I'm hoping since CWM seems to be working that I can simply flash an acceptable rom with that instead of trying to find a scatter file.

Maybe someone can suggest some ROMs to try flashing with CWM. The phone is: Goophone N2 7100 I believe. Thanks for reading, I really want to help him resurrect this interesting piece of copyright infringement (the phone looks amazingly like a Note 2 till you get close to it):(

Evita Carbonized
GTab 2 7 AOKP'd

lopestom

Nov 7, 2012
Archland - Narnia
mewe.com
I too am also having problems with the flash tool. I am trying to help a friend bring his chinese note 2 clone back to life. He somehow got CWM onto the phone and the custom recovery seems to be functioning properly, but I cant find any sort of ROM file to flash in recovery.

Now I am going back and trying to restore the phone to factory using the flash tool. Installed the VCOM drivers, then went to load the scatter file we obtained from the factory (Bro Tech) it says the scatter file is incorrect format?

My question is: are there any roms we could try to flash on this phone from CWM or do we have to use the Flash Tool? I'm hoping since CWM seems to be working that I can simply flash an acceptable rom with that instead of trying to find a scatter file.

Maybe someone can suggest some ROMs to try flashing with CWM. The phone is: Goophone N2 7100 I believe. Thanks for reading, I really want to help him resurrect this interesting piece of copyright infringement (the phone looks amazingly like a Note 2 till you get close to it):(

Evita Carbonized
GTab 2 7 AOKP'd

Create personalized file scatter for your device with MTK Droid. Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490

Reactions: DollarStrawz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :mad:

Hello!

I need some help and I know this is the place to find it!

I have searched for several days all over the internet trying to read and gather information, and I am coming up short.

I know Bruno Martins has posted some information on his blog on how to "readback" (backup) your current rom for your phone, but there is no information on how to flash the entire ROM package back to your phone (at least with regard to the errors you may receive).

Basically, I am looking for some help on how to backup one of my phones entire rom package and put it on my other phone that I messed up via the Smart Phone Flash Tool (the exact same model: Star Touch Diamond 2 B2000 MT6573).

The new phone works perfect, I have never touched it, my old phone which is the same model I deleted and formatted the system so I need to put the stock rom on.

I was able to do a "backup" of my new phone, but when i try to flash the preloader and uboot, etc, the sp flash tool says error loading file, or region too large with overlap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my phone is not bricked, but I cannot access recovery! I was able to find and install another fully assembled rom to my phone and the phone does power on with lights, but it doesnt have the display driver I need so I cannot see anything.

The reason I flashed another rom was because the phone was essentially bricked and wouldnt do anything, and that was the only rom I could find on the internet that was a full package (preloader, uboot, system, etc) but isnt compatible with phone.

Anyhow, if I understand correctly I need to use hexadecimal calculator to find length of partitions of original phones rom, readback the files, somehow edit the preloader file? then flash them back to the old phone?

Please help!

I would love to make a tutorial of this method with pictures and possible errors for everyone if we could get this solved!

Please point me in the right direction!

And I wanted to thank BRUNO in advance for his hard work and help!!
    have you tried the neutrino rom from notorious? its reallllly small around 50mb. you may be able to install that since it so small, then work your way back down? not too sure and i can say im no grandmaster but it might work!:D

***derp. neutrino... thats for atrix only. but hey same concept. maybe a small barebones rom will get you running enough to get things done properly.

Evita Carbonized
    GTab 2 7 AOKP'd

Create personalized file scatter for your device with MTK Droid. Here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490