[Q] How to root Nook STG with 1.2.1 firmware

Search This thread

kazakore

May 18, 2014
Wanted to root my Nook since I got it a month or two ago, in part to replace the terrible standard reader, in part for custom dictionaries. Finally managed to find a SD -> MicroSD adapter here in India (where I'm travelling and have got as far as making a full backup using the steps here upto no.8 ( URL nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Rooting/Manual ) but as the rooting procedure on there seems very basic with no included apps I thought I'd have a look at what was possible.

I think the Minimal install looks to be most suitable for me, but from the reading I've done it seems this and other Nooter Project procedures I can find only support firmware 1.0.0/1 or 1.1.0 and my device is running 1.2.1

Is there any process for rooting this device? Does the process from the page I used to backup the device work whatever the firmware version? If so I could always sideload ADW Launcher along with reader apps and dictionaries. But I don't really want to be risking things now knowing if they will break the device, even with a backup on my computer...

kazakore

May 18, 2014
This is probably the easiest way with firmware 1.1.5 and up: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35267728 Good luck!
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. As it happens just found exactly the same thread (although slightly different URL as think yours points specifically to first post) from Googling and rereading a guide on another site and the following a link from there back here. Will try and find the time to try it tomorrow.... Although think might be going on a 2-3 day trip tomorrow now so might have to wait a little before poking at it again. ;)

kazakore

May 18, 2014
OK have the device rooted. My eyes are too blury to focus on anything right now though, so not going to have a proper play just yet!! One quick question though.

How do I sideload application on this device? Just copy them into /system/app and they will work? Or drop them in a folder and click on the .apk files to get them to install, like I had to do on my Sony PRS-T1?

Also had a strange moment. Had done nothing but have a quick look around, 95% sure I hadn't actually changed any setting, and it wouldn't let me go One Level Up from the SDCard., so thought I was stuck not being able to browse anything! Running a Restore factory Settings from the main Settings Manager cured this though. No idea what it thinks I clicked to make this happen though...

EDIT: yep, this is easily re-creatable! :
Root device.
Click Home -> Re-Launch (click OK on page which pops on first open to close)
Click One Level Up
Click Settings Cog
Click on any setting (Well I've tested the first two, Start Mode and Work Mode)
Click Cancel (to not change anything)
Click Back
Click Home.
You will now be at the SDCard and not able to navigate up a level until you Reset Setting to Default Values!!!

This is really rather annoying! Especially as I don't seem to be able to make Root a Favourite!!

Last edited:

kazakore

May 18, 2014

That still doesn't answer my question of whether I can just drop them into /system/app or if I have to transfer them and then select them with a file manager such as Total Commander (like I had to on the PRST1) to install them.

By posting that I assume you're saying that the packaged file manager packaged with the root install is known to be very buggy and wont be fixed. Correct? If so I'll try and get Total Commander on it...

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
Whatever. InstallIng all apk files by moving them? Rooting & modding isn't for everyone.

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
There is nothing "broken" with the file manager in the Relaunch launcher app. With Relaunch go into settings>advanced settings>general settings and you can set up the file manager as far as start directory and whether you can browse up from there, just copy over most apk's to the SD card and click on them to install, some apps, such as keyboards don't work very well unless they are installed as system apps.
OB

Last edited:
Reactions: kazakore

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
That still doesn't answer my question of whether I can just drop them into /system/app or if I have to transfer them and then select them with a file manager such as Total Commander (like I had to on the PRST1) to install them.

By posting that I assume you're saying that the packaged file manager packaged with the root install is known to be very buggy and wont be fixed. Correct? If so I'll try and get Total Commander on it...

Manners? Obviously.

kazakore

May 18, 2014
just copy over most apk's to the SD card and click on them to install, some apps, such as keyboards don't work very well unless they are installed as system apps.
OB

Thank you very much. That is as I expected. Although a quick bit of searching on the very poor internet I temporarily get out here in India also showed I can install straight from ADB so I might take a look into that. Although I only got it to work once on my PRST1 before it died (it was on its last legs and the internal ROM was starting to corrupt) and all the guides I could find at the time were very out of date and not for the current version...

There is nothing "broken" with the file manager in the Relaunch launcher app. With Relaunch go into settings>advanced settings>general settings and you can set up the file manager as far as start directory and whether you can browse up from there,

I would call the fact it stops you from being able to go up a level without you actually changing a single setting, only viewing them, as broken behaviour personally! See my steps above and try following them if you don't believe me.

Where was anything rude in that post? Pointing out that you didn't actually answer anything, which you didn't. In fact you only very tersely posted links without even including any text as to what they were, which on further investigation it becomes apparent neither are even directly related to what I asked! Learn to read properly and reply in a reasonable manner. It's really not that hard a skill to master!

OverByter

Nov 1, 2010
West Haven
I would call the fact it stops you from being able to go up a level without you actually changing a single setting, only viewing them, as broken behaviour personally! See my steps above and try following them if you don't believe me.
It doesn't stop you, that's the default behavior, as I posted above, you can easily modify the file browser behavior to do pretty much anything that you want or need. So it's certainly not broken. I personally think that Relaunch is the perfect launcher for e-ink devices, extremely light weight and fast without the normal graphical interface that's unnecessary on the nook. To each their own. :p
OB

Last edited:

kazakore

May 18, 2014
It doesn't stop you, that's the default behavior, as I posted above, you can easily modify the file browser behavior to do pretty much anything that you want or need. So it's certainly not broken. I personally think that Relaunch is the perfect launcher for e-ink devices, extremely light weight and fast without the normal graphical interface that's unnecessary on the nook. To each their own. :p
OB

But I CAN go up a level before looking at the settings options. It's only after viewing some, with no changes made, this option disappears! How does that make it the default option.

Anyway. I'll try resetting it from within the options and see if this makes it keep the setting correctly... Other than that little bug it did seem pretty sweet for an eReader! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is probably the easiest way with firmware 1.1.5 and up: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35267728 Good luck!
    OB

There is nothing "broken" with the file manager in the Relaunch launcher app. With Relaunch go into settings>advanced settings>general settings and you can set up the file manager as far as start directory and whether you can browse up from there, just copy over most apk's to the SD card and click on them to install, some apps, such as keyboards don't work very well unless they are installed as system apps.
    OB