[Q] Cracking unlock bootloader allowed : no to Yes.?

Search This thread

waqaskool

Oct 5, 2011
Hey,
I have recently bought an Xperia Z ultra, and when i was about to CM11 it, i found out that the boot loader unlock allowed is NO.
Now where is live, i brought the phone through and import shop. so the procedure to obtain a operator key and send to Sony is impossible.

I can access my fastboot, i have even rooted my phone, but i really want custom roms and kernels to be an option.
I know that the usual answer to this is that its impossible. But i would appreciate if we discuss it to progress on this as i have seen too many people with this issue and i think it needs a solution. I would request the admin/moderators to keep this thread alive.

Now does anyone know why is it impossible ? is it hardware or software ?
any directions or people that i can personally request to work on this ? any leads ? i am really desperate, i really cant afford to spend that much on a phone again.

is the Xposed Framework any possible solution for this ?

any ideas information is helpful...... :rolleyes:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
There is no solution, or one being worked on that I know of. In one thread it has been asked and a very good hardware hacker said that even taking the back off and putting a Xperia into it's maintenance mode you cant unlock a BL for these locked devices.

Have a read of the hard brick thread for the details

waqaskool

Oct 5, 2011
there seems to be a way, just a thought.

Upon on reseaerch, i am finding out a Linux command called kexec seems to be favour here. Since it can bypass kernel and force a custom one...
Work in progress for z1 here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2462799

Just leaving this link for other users like me, who might be searching... And also requesting to post replies here to see how much demand we have for this issue..

BrownDog99

Dec 20, 2013
Cobourg
unlocked bootloader if it says no

I had no idea that the sony z ultra had some units that couldn't be unlocked. why would sony do this, it says being able to unlock your bootloader is important to sony. They even gave me an unlocked code from their site. I bought an factory unlocked phone, so stupid that this one here can be unlocked and that one can't. so am I stuck with a locked bootloader now? I sold my Lg because of this crap now I am dealing with it again ****

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
I had no idea that the sony z ultra had some units that couldn't be unlocked. why would sony do this, it says being able to unlock your bootloader is important to sony. They even gave me an unlocked code from their site. I bought an factory unlocked phone, so stupid that this one here can be unlocked and that one can't. so am I stuck with a locked bootloader now? I sold my Lg because of this crap now I am dealing with it again ****

It's your carrier that has locked it (Rogers, i'm guessing?). There are only a couple of carriers that locks down the bootloader, like Rogers, O2 (i think) and another one that we're aware of.

BrownDog99

Dec 20, 2013
Cobourg
It was bought factory unlocked from store no carrier involved which makes it even more crazy. I guess I will sell this model and get different one. Does the gpe have this stupid restriction on its model. I really like the 6.4 inch screen and don't want to go down in size. I am already going to get the nexus 6 so I definitely want a z ultra also

H. E. Pennypacker

Oct 1, 2014
It was bought factory unlocked from store no carrier involved which makes it even more crazy. I guess I will sell this model and get different one. Does the gpe have this stupid restriction on its model. I really like the 6.4 inch screen and don't want to go down in size. I am already going to get the nexus 6 so I definitely want a z ultra also

It's shouldn't be locked. Only a couple of carriers locks the bootloader. The GPe's bootloader is unlockable.

BrownDog99

Dec 20, 2013
Cobourg
Ya i tried that it says no bootloader unlock. I bought it from a used cell store in toronto. It has a factory unlocked sticker on it, with no carrier apps installed or anything. Maybe it was a carrier phone, weird it came factory unlocked and with no carrier apps installed. I rooted it and put a dual recovery for lb and of course installed xposed. No custom kernel for me I guess. Too bad. I think it is Rogers and Bell that lock down the bootloader. I am impressed with the speed of it for a 800 snapdragon.