MT4G Bad Display vs Good Display, Which do you have? Don't wait get a good one today!

Which Display do you have, Inferior or Superior? And which color?

• Total voters
Search This thread

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
Well there has been a lot of interesting things taking place in regards to the MT4G display quality, or contrast and colors. There seems to be good evidence of some devices being shipped with a more rich color and better contrast display and with better viewing from angles. The majority of the ones shipped have the less than perfect display which has less contrast and the colors, white are washed out and blacks are not true dark blacks. And the inferior display has trouble with viewing angles not being clear and has a washed out look, the launcher bar is gray instead of black etc.

This has been discussed here on XDA in this thread starting at post 32
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=838379&page=4 , and on the MT4G T-Mobile Official forums at
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/myTouch-4G/quot-Inferior-quot-display-vs-quot-superior-quot-pictures/td-p/592439

I would like to thank everyone who has helped bring this issue forward and to help substantiate it. A big thanks to btbuck1, DADDYDC650, spitacular1, for getting this ball rolling. Thanks for your support and I know everyone who has received there better display device thanks us for bringing this to everyone's attention, including T-Mobile and HTC. I know at least some of the CSR's and employees have seen the thread in the official T-Mobile MT4G forum. So hopefully positive steps are in the works to correct things.

Here is a Video I shot of my new device with a good display compared to my wifes with a bad display. The video is not perfect as I'm a amateur and no tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMu-5KWA6s

Here is a picture which shows the differences with the top pictures showing the washed out less contrast display and the bottom pictures showing the better clear higher contrast display with good viewing at all angles.

Comparison.jpg

It is unclear if these different devices have actual hardware differences or if there is some change in the software which is making the differences. HTC has made a response to a user that it had something to do with a coating on the LCD and they were aware of the problem. This has not been confirmed as of yet.

EDIT: There seems to be one thing in common and that is the LCD version LCD-SO-C2 is the good screen. Some developers have said it is a SONY LCD. And the bad one is the LCD-SH-C2 is said to be from SHARP. I repeat I personally have no proof but well respected dev have mentioned this in their findings. So you be the judge. (2 different screens and 2 different LCD model numbers) makes some logical sense.

EDIT: There are a couple of ways to get the LCD information to know for sure which type of display you have. If you are rooted with Eng hboot you should be able to see the system info in hboot to view the LCD versions.

Second method for stock non rooted devices is to install Terminal emulator from the market. Restart your phone and immediately open the Terminal emulator and type "dmesg" without quotes. You will see a lot of data. Just scroll all the way back to the top and look around line 14-15 and you will see a line that ends with Panel Type=1 or Panel Type=2
Panel type 1 is the bad screen and Panel type 2 is the good screen.

Here is a picture of what to look for:

2011-01-02_1030.png

Thanks to shlongwoodian for his posting it and you can find the original post here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10263805&postcount=88

EDIT: I have opened a new poll with multiple choice voting and with more options. Please visit this thread to get a better idea of where the good and bad screens are coming from etc.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=895427

Please vote in this poll and tell which display you have and what color you have?

IF THIS THREAD HAS HELPED YOU PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON!

Last edited:

ArcticWolf91

Jul 15, 2010
Oh wow I didn't realize the difference was so pronounced. I might buy the MyTouch 4G is there any way for me to make sure I get the good display? Like something I should look for while I'm at the store?

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
Oh wow I didn't realize the difference was so pronounced. I might buy the MyTouch 4G is there any way for me to make sure I get the good display? Like something I should look for while I'm at the store?

It is very easy just hold down on the home screen and select widget then select clock, right arrow over to the HTC clock as shown in the picture. Then just tilt the device to different angles you can set the brightness to auto or up a little if you want. If you see it clear like in the bottom pictures it is one of the better displays.

Since you are buying a new device demand you want one with a good display. If they give you any trouble send them to the Official MT4G forum their is a thread on there too.

daewond3r

Sep 3, 2009
Los Angeles
I never really checked until now. Mine looks good at the same angle as the second set of pics, which makes me glad.

However, I will admit my colors are kinda warm. I wish my whites were brighter.

$pitacular1

Sep 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Had the inferior black, dropped it and shattered it about 7 days in.. was devastated but had insurance.

Filed claim, received the superior black... not happy about shelling out $130.00 for a replacement but very pleased it's a better phone.

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego
To be honest I still have no idea which one of those I have. My colors look very vibrant when I look at it directly. When I tilt it a lot then the colors are washed out a bit but who is holding the phone like that? My laptop screen has the same problem.

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
Well this is not true if you have the device on your desk in front of you you are looking at an angle and the colors are washed out. Plus the overall contrast of whites and blacks on the good display are better.

To some people it will not mater, but to some it will.

btbuck1

Aug 25, 2010
To be honest I still have no idea which one of those I have. My colors look very vibrant when I look at it directly. When I tilt it a lot then the colors are washed out a bit but who is holding the phone like that? My laptop screen has the same problem.

sounds like you have the good one. the bad ones color is washed out period. and they fade out at even the slightest angle. The good one does fade out, but only at extreme angles.

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
It is very easy just compare yours to the pics on the bottom picture in the OP and if your device when tilted the launcher bar stays black and your clock digits are black and not washed out in the middle and top and bottom then you have a good one. Congratulations

setzer715

Jan 29, 2009
North Phoenix
Wow there is more good black ones than I thought. Btw did your black ones come with 2.2.1 from factory?

Good screen (at least to me looks better than my Nexus One) and comparing with the attached pics it does not washout at all, shipped with 2.2. Upgraded to 2.2.1 after a few hours of receiving. Currently running Iced Glacier but screen looks same stock.

ckisgen

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2007
raleigh, NC
i have found these threads interesting....by all the standards that I can find - I've got the sharper/better display. I sort of have a hard time with the whole HTC clock widget 'test' or whatever but my viewing angles are good, my blacks are deep, my settings bar is DEFINITELY solid gray from all angles .. no perrywinkle here. i have zero complaints about my display ... i had wondered why everyone was **bleep** on here about it ..

but the interesting thing (compared to what the 'common knowledge' seems to be on these threads both here and at the Tmobile forum) is that I bought my phone on 11/5 .. the day after it came out, came with 2.2 and was made in Taiwan.

so either the gray/perrywinkle deal isn't 100% fool proof and my own eyes and judgement are off OR some of the older/original phones made in Taiwan have the 'better' display ..

FYI - i bought mine at a retail T mobile store at my local mall.

vw671

Sep 10, 2010
California
but the interesting thing (compared to what the 'common knowledge' seems to be on these threads both here and at the Tmobile forum) is that I bought my phone on 11/5 .. the day after it came out, came with 2.2 and was made in Taiwan.

I thought all the phones were made in Taiwan...Mine was and has the crappy display.

dinan

Oct 28, 2008
Yea mine is made in Taiwan too (Black) and it's a bad screen... abysmal viewing angles!

btbuck1

Aug 25, 2010
So is this a hardware issue? Or simply an issue with some internal settings?

Seems to be differen't screens that HTC is sourcing from. The phone's all have identical roms, so that's not it.

This isn't the first time HTC or any cell phone or CEM has sources parts from differen't OEM's. But rarily is there such a disparity in them.

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego
Seems to be differen't screens that HTC is sourcing from. The phone's all have identical roms, so that's not it.

This isn't the first time HTC or any cell phone or CEM has sources parts from differen't OEM's. But rarily is there such a disparity in them.

I know this issue from the Nexus One. They had these issues with purple screens between older and new batches of N1s and there was a clear difference between the t-mobile N1s and the ATT N1 regarding the purple screen. I think the screens are maybe from the same manufacturer but they have a range of tolerance what is junk and what is accepted as "normal" screen. This is maybe the reason why we cannot pinpoint it to one country, supplier or batch.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well there has been a lot of interesting things taking place in regards to the MT4G display quality, or contrast and colors. There seems to be good evidence of some devices being shipped with a more rich color and better contrast display and with better viewing from angles. The majority of the ones shipped have the less than perfect display which has less contrast and the colors, white are washed out and blacks are not true dark blacks. And the inferior display has trouble with viewing angles not being clear and has a washed out look, the launcher bar is gray instead of black etc.

This has been discussed here on XDA in this thread starting at post 32
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=838379&page=4 , and on the MT4G T-Mobile Official forums at
    http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/myTouch-4G/quot-Inferior-quot-display-vs-quot-superior-quot-pictures/td-p/592439

I would like to thank everyone who has helped bring this issue forward and to help substantiate it. A big thanks to btbuck1, DADDYDC650, spitacular1, for getting this ball rolling. Thanks for your support and I know everyone who has received there better display device thanks us for bringing this to everyone's attention, including T-Mobile and HTC. I know at least some of the CSR's and employees have seen the thread in the official T-Mobile MT4G forum. So hopefully positive steps are in the works to correct things.

Here is a Video I shot of my new device with a good display compared to my wifes with a bad display. The video is not perfect as I'm a amateur and no tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMu-5KWA6s

Here is a picture which shows the differences with the top pictures showing the washed out less contrast display and the bottom pictures showing the better clear higher contrast display with good viewing at all angles.

Comparison.jpg

It is unclear if these different devices have actual hardware differences or if there is some change in the software which is making the differences. HTC has made a response to a user that it had something to do with a coating on the LCD and they were aware of the problem. This has not been confirmed as of yet.

EDIT: There seems to be one thing in common and that is the LCD version LCD-SO-C2 is the good screen. Some developers have said it is a SONY LCD. And the bad one is the LCD-SH-C2 is said to be from SHARP. I repeat I personally have no proof but well respected dev have mentioned this in their findings. So you be the judge. (2 different screens and 2 different LCD model numbers) makes some logical sense.

EDIT: There are a couple of ways to get the LCD information to know for sure which type of display you have. If you are rooted with Eng hboot you should be able to see the system info in hboot to view the LCD versions.

Second method for stock non rooted devices is to install Terminal emulator from the market. Restart your phone and immediately open the Terminal emulator and type "dmesg" without quotes. You will see a lot of data. Just scroll all the way back to the top and look around line 14-15 and you will see a line that ends with Panel Type=1 or Panel Type=2
    Panel type 1 is the bad screen and Panel type 2 is the good screen.

Here is a picture of what to look for:

2011-01-02_1030.png

Thanks to shlongwoodian for his posting it and you can find the original post here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10263805&postcount=88

EDIT: I have opened a new poll with multiple choice voting and with more options. Please visit this thread to get a better idea of where the good and bad screens are coming from etc.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=895427

Please vote in this poll and tell which display you have and what color you have?

IF THIS THREAD HAS HELPED YOU PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON!
    Well this is not true if you have the device on your desk in front of you you are looking at an angle and the colors are washed out. Plus the overall contrast of whites and blacks on the good display are better.

To some people it will not mater, but to some it will.
    I spoke to David at tmonews this is what he had to say:
    "I did post about it in Twitter and I pinged T-Mobile and they said that they were unaware of the problem affecting a large number of users. Unfortunately one forum thread didn't constitute enough of a problem with them to warrant anything public, such as a recall. I've been working with HTC and T-Mobile over the last few days, minus the holiday time to try and get some responses but unfortunately I'm coming up short. I do have a post written and planned but I was hoping to get a response first.

Look for something this week!"

And further:

"I'd say the probability of a recall is somewhere in the negative. T-Mobile didn't recall the hinge on the G2, if anything they would move forward with fixed devices and replace for those who call in and complain. It's likely though that the general buyer will never notice a problem"\

So in essence, keep hounding them about this!
    Okay, so here's my quest for the "good screen"... (not that anyone really cares)

Originally had the G2.. returned exchanged for mytouch4g (via retentions). This was maybe a week or two after the mytouch4g was released. My original was a made in taiwan with clearly a washed out screen. Before my remorse period was up, I returned it with intentions of waiting for the nexus s. After the nexus s was officially announced (and deemed a bust..might I add), I went ahead and ordered another mytouch4g. This time, I was aware of the washed out screens, thanks to this thread.. and eagerly awaited and hoped for a good screen.

I received my newly ordered, mytouch4g in the mail last friday. Opened it up and it appeared to be the washed out screen. This one was made in china, however.. which had me a bit confused. I wasnt about to settle, so I called up customer service and asked for a replacement. They sent another and I received it tuesday morning. So at this point, I had two mytouches on hand and was able to compare. The second one they sent me DID have the "good screen". And as others have mentioned, it's a night and day difference. I was happy with the new one...that was until I noticed a little chip in the metal bezel around the screen... and this one had some squeaking/creaking below the buttons.. oh, and not to much the ffc which was severely off center. So I immediately called up customer service and told them about the chip and the squeaks. They agreed to send me yet another one...

Finally, I received a third mytouch4g in the mail. This time, they got it to me overnight, wednesday morning (props to tmobile for their amazing customer service). I opened it up and thank goodness, it was another good screen. And to my surprise, the rest of this phone was almost perfect (no creaks, and the ffc is almost perfectly centered!). Well, so at this point I had 3 mytouch4g's on hand. So with my good, near perfect one, I took some pictures of the other two to compare the good and the bad. Hope you enjoy.

p.s. I know no one asked for my life story.... sorry.

Good on the left, bad on the right on exact same settings (both made in china)
    front-2.jpg

Side by side (good one closer)
    side1.jpg

Side by side (bad one closer)
    side2.jpg

Lastly, a few other observations. The two good ones came with a sandisk class4 microsd card while the bad one came with a samsung microsd card. Also, I noticed that the good and the bad also had slightly different batteries. Very difficult to tell, but the bad one came with a battery with more of a lip on the bottom. If I had some photoshopping skills, I would have pshopped a nice bright yellow circle around the bottom edge of the battery on the right.
    batt.jpg

Well, that is all. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps some people that are still unsure.
    I didint even think about checkin until I saw your posted pics :eek: I have read about it but never knew what to look for! I am a happy camper though... Black model w/ superior screen! Thanks for the informative post!

Your welcome glad it helped you. Hit the thanks button if you liked it.