Best Apps & Video Player for Xperia Play: Supporting MKV with srt /ssa subs '720p'

Search This thread

kenshindono

Jan 6, 2009
Best Apps & Video Player for Xperia Play: Supporting MKV with srt /ssa subs '720p'

I'am an huge fan of Japanese anime and i do prefer watching my movies and series in their native language with subs. Yesterday i was checking the market for the Holy grail and after 4 hours i finally found the solution.

So after installing and checked every player in the market i finally found the only player that can play BD Rip 720p (1280x720) with subs (srt & ssa) function with hardware acceleration.

I tested all the Free and priced application and i can tell for sure that many of those one don't play MKV and need optimization and work on hardware acceleration:

RockPlayer (pro) 1.7.2 : Laggy, don't load subtitles, glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
No support for hardware acceleration for Xperia Play use software mode to play the video.
Good Menu and options
Move to SD

Vplayer 0.9.4 (unlocker): Buggy, laggy, don't load subtitles inside MKV incremented, glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
No support for hardware acceleration for Xperia Play use software mode to play the video.
Move to SD

Best video Player : Might be the same as above with a different name Not tested...

VLC direct pro: Streaming load movies and video from computer...
Forget about it...

VitalPlayer 1.2.7 (Pro)
: Play fine with little lag in software mode, don't load subtitles inside MKV. (UTF 8 not supported ?) glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
Good option and menu but ugly interface
Move to SD

MvideoPlayer 2.8.2 : This app is weird cause it says that it DOES ONLY PLAY WHAT YOUR PHONE ALREADY SUPPORTS... but to tell you the truth what the purpose of a player if it plays what you have already.
Don't load any MKV on Xperia Play
Good interface.
Move to SD

QQplayer 1.0.152: One of the best player i tested using Software acceleration - in fact this player can play everything i tried with some little lag at starts but really the subtitles are working with some errors on opening in Anime but everything works fine when you are watching the episode.
Many usefull option and simple interface.
Move to SD (really small size) :eek:

ArcMedia 1.5 (pro): What! No app2SD! Big! Don't waste my time ! Not tested

MoboPlayer v1.2.145
Free; This player is awesome, great interface can play everything smoothly, Move to SD small size in internal, Thumb support, Ultra great option that permit almost everything. Support Hardware Acceleration for Xperia Play ! No Lag, Subtitle working greatly (multi sub track works) Opening in anime show all the subtitles : lyrics/translation/japanese
1080p: Laggy
Play every Format and accept stream :D
Best of the Best :rolleyes:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.clov4r.android.nil&feature=top-free
f-1-7bb0eb1392c086a08abff28908128b341cbd61ae

Description
Enjoy Your Videos.

The best video player on Android! Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere.

We feature the best playback experience and quality.

Our video player supports:
All video formats (need to choose "software decoding" mode in most cases)
Popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS, and SAA
Subtitles built in MKV, MPV, MOV, and others
Multi-audio streams and multi-subtitles
Playlists and continuous play on same type files
Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols
Media libraries and sort videos by type
Thumbnail displays of videos

Changelog Already Added. 5 Star PLZ!! -_-!!!

---
Make the best player for Android platform can not satisfy us now! Now we want to develop a perfection software on Android. If you have any suggestions or bugs, you are welcome to notify us by the following ways:
email: mobo@moboplayer.com

This link is only for those who cannot access market ! Remember the app is free and the count is important for the dev! Also there is update made for this tool! you might want the last version ?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZUGZK1J4

If someone found another great player and make a review and share it. That would be Great :D

-------
Update May 18: (see post bellow)
Application Compatible and working fine with Xperia Play
I did some other test/comparison on many others program here what I found and chosen per Type:

Note Almost all of them move to SD

Remote: MPC-HC Remote
FTP client (Phone to pc): AndFTP
IRC client : Android IRC
Unrar/rar/zip/unzip : Androzip
File transfer Wifi GPRS : Dropbox
PC Control: Teamviewer
Emulation (Neogeo and others): Tiger Arcade and N64oid
File Explorer: Astro, AndExplorer, Appinstaller
Task Management: Advanced Task Killer
Cache Cleaner: 1Tap Cleaner
GPS: IGO
Music: PowerAMP

I will make another thread for Games (i have tested a lot too)

Enjoy your xPlay ;)

Last edited:

Mozza2k11

Apr 21, 2011
+1, This is a great post :). Never thought of watching anime on my phone. Might have to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time saves me some trouble.

I'am an huge fan of Japanese anime and i do prefer watching my movies and series in their native language with subs

*shudders @ the thought of people watching english dubs* :D

Last edited:

DeadlyDazza

Jul 3, 2010
And, gotta give you thanks for the heads up on mobo player.
I've been converting all my video files for use with mVideoPlayer. Just tested mobo player with a couple of files (mp4, mkv, wmv & 'video clip'), works a treat, you've saved me a lot of time there.

kenshindono

Jan 6, 2009
No problem i like helping when i found something usefull

I did some other test/comparison on many others program here what I found and chosen per Type:

I will make a thread for Games (i have tested a lot too)

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
I was lucky and found Mobo Player in a few minutes. Didn't realise people didn't know about it or i woulda made a mobo player thread ages ago.

Here's a tip for Mobo Player -

If a video file doesn't play, switch to software mode and it will work.

I havn't come across an.avi file that hasn't worked perfectly on my Xperia Play with Mobo Player yet.

It is indeed awesome :)

neptune

May 25, 2006
London
cant say I've gotten around to watchning videos on the device apart from BBC iPlayer or YouTube but I'll definitely give it a shot. You never know when you need a video player

refract

Jan 9, 2011
I don't really have a Play, but seeing Arc and Play are pmuch the same thing - Arc Media Pro is hands down the best media player, MoboPlayer lags when you compare the two

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
Weird...I tried to play a 720p episode of flight of the conchords...no audio.

Next, 720p episode of South Park...audio, but no video..then force close, leaving my cpu pegged at 100% with no visible process to end. Must Reboot.

well..terrible time with it so far..dunno why it hates me :(

kenshindono

Jan 6, 2009
speedyink i have both mobo and QQ installed i don't have any problem playing my anime episode 720p. but i had an incompatibility once on an episode and used QQ to play it. You should have at least two installed to do the comparison on some files.

ryocoon

Jun 10, 2008
San Jose
+1, This is a great post :). Never thought of watching anime on my phone. Might have to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time saves me some trouble.

*shudders @ the thought of people watching english dubs* :D

True that. Totally prefer in original language. (Although the occasional ParodyDub is fun). As a US person though, besides FanSubs, I also make use of a service called "CrunchyRoll" which has an android app. I suggest US folks try it out. I know it is also available in several other places (minus Japan) and lots of current series are simulcast (well within an hour of broadcast in Japan, and with subtitles) for subscribers and available otherwise after 1 week.

juami

Sep 29, 2007
Try Diceplayer 1.3.0
Diceplay finally support Xperia Arc.
Diceplayer can play 720p High + DTS + MKV files with HW Video Acceleration.
ssa/srt/smi external sub + mkv embedded subs

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'am an huge fan of Japanese anime and i do prefer watching my movies and series in their native language with subs. Yesterday i was checking the market for the Holy grail and after 4 hours i finally found the solution.

So after installing and checked every player in the market i finally found the only player that can play BD Rip 720p (1280x720) with subs (srt & ssa) function with hardware acceleration.

I tested all the Free and priced application and i can tell for sure that many of those one don't play MKV and need optimization and work on hardware acceleration:

RockPlayer (pro) 1.7.2 : Laggy, don't load subtitles, glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
    Good Menu and options
    Move to SD

Vplayer 0.9.4 (unlocker): Buggy, laggy, don't load subtitles inside MKV incremented, glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
    Move to SD

Best video Player : Might be the same as above with a different name Not tested...

VLC direct pro: Streaming load movies and video from computer...
    Forget about it...

VitalPlayer 1.2.7 (Pro)
    : Play fine with little lag in software mode, don't load subtitles inside MKV. (UTF 8 not supported ?) glitch/pixelation/macroblock depending on the video.
    Good option and menu but ugly interface
    Move to SD

MvideoPlayer 2.8.2 : This app is weird cause it says that it DOES ONLY PLAY WHAT YOUR PHONE ALREADY SUPPORTS... but to tell you the truth what the purpose of a player if it plays what you have already.
    Don't load any MKV on Xperia Play
    Good interface.
    Move to SD

QQplayer 1.0.152: One of the best player i tested using Software acceleration - in fact this player can play everything i tried with some little lag at starts but really the subtitles are working with some errors on opening in Anime but everything works fine when you are watching the episode.
    Many usefull option and simple interface.
    Move to SD (really small size) :eek:

ArcMedia 1.5 (pro): What! No app2SD! Big! Don't waste my time ! Not tested

MoboPlayer v1.2.145
    Free; This player is awesome, great interface can play everything smoothly, Move to SD small size in internal, Thumb support, Ultra great option that permit almost everything. Support Hardware Acceleration for Xperia Play ! No Lag, Subtitle working greatly (multi sub track works) Opening in anime show all the subtitles : lyrics/translation/japanese
    1080p: Laggy
    Play every Format and accept stream :D
    Best of the Best :rolleyes:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.clov4r.android.nil&feature=top-free
    f-1-7bb0eb1392c086a08abff28908128b341cbd61ae

Description
    Enjoy Your Videos.

The best video player on Android! Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere.

We feature the best playback experience and quality.

Our video player supports:
    All video formats (need to choose "software decoding" mode in most cases)
    Popular subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS, and SAA
    Subtitles built in MKV, MPV, MOV, and others
    Multi-audio streams and multi-subtitles
    Playlists and continuous play on same type files
    Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols
    Media libraries and sort videos by type
    Thumbnail displays of videos

Changelog Already Added. 5 Star PLZ!! -_-!!!

---
    Make the best player for Android platform can not satisfy us now! Now we want to develop a perfection software on Android. If you have any suggestions or bugs, you are welcome to notify us by the following ways:
    email: mobo@moboplayer.com

This link is only for those who cannot access market ! Remember the app is free and the count is important for the dev! Also there is update made for this tool! you might want the last version ?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZUGZK1J4

If someone found another great player and make a review and share it. That would be Great :D

-------
    Update May 18: (see post bellow)
    Application Compatible and working fine with Xperia Play

I will make another thread for Games (i have tested a lot too)

Enjoy your xPlay ;)
    HD and FULL audio support

I normally just peruse all of your conversations, as 99.9% of the time, all of you come up with the solutions FAR quicker and more painlessly than I take. However, this time, I was desperately trying to play an x264 on my new setup, having linked the server, laptop, smart tv and Xoom for the first time. I have (had) MV, Mobo, Stock, Meridian, and on, and on. Mobo would play audio, but not video, and only in software mode, and the majority of the others would only play video (in hardware mode), so no complete solution. Then I ran into an quiet little app called BSPlayer Lite. EVERY HD, .mkv, m4, didin't matter compression, it ran....no jitters, no lag, no (as far as I could see) dropped frames.

Might want to give it a try. I only ran into it out of desperation.

Hope I have helped someone.

Regards,

Jason