[INFO] What is root? How do I root my gen8 device? What can I do when I have root?

Search This thread

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
NOTE: This is a work in progress. Please send remarks/comments with additional information you want to see added to this thread.

So what is root exactly?

In the unix/linux world root is the super user that can do anything on the system. In the windows world the user is called Administrator. See here for a more detailed explanation.

Why should I need/want it?

This is a more difficult question than many people think. In the android world every app runs in its own sandbox, meaning every app can access it's own data and call the system to provide access to system resources but it can't access data from another app. This provides a very good protection against malware etc.....BUT it has disadvantages.

The first disadvantage that comes to mind is the possibility to backup the settings and private data of an app.

The second disadvantage is that for app A to be able to use the data from app B the app B must publish a programmers interface to it's data so the app A can access the data.

Both disadvantages can be overcome with root access.

root access can also overcome some limitations that are build in by the company (in this case Archos) that provided the software that runs on your device.

Read below for examples of what can be done.

Is it dangerous to have root?

The answer to that question is yes if you don't know what you are doing.

If you use root to execute command think twice before executing it. If you are following instructions always try to follow instructions to the letter. If you are not sure about something ask someone who knows about the subject.

If you use apps that require root always read the instructions and if you're not sure try to read about the program in question.

PS: Even the competent root user can make mistakes. I've nuke a few systems in my early years and will never make that mistake twice.

What is su and SuperUser.apk and how do they work?

The su binary is used by other apps to get root access. The SuperUser.apk is a front end to give the user some control over what app can have root.

Whenever the su binary is used by an app it will call upon the SuperUser.apk to pop up a question to Allow/Deny access to that app.

Last edited:

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
How do I root my gen8 device?

Good now we can get our hands dirty and go to work rooting our device.

At the moment there are 3 different ways to root your device with different levels of control and possibilities
  1. Archangel one-click (temporary) root
  2. chulri's root
  3. UrukDroid

Archangel one-click (temporary) root for firmware 2.0.71, 2.1.02, 2.1.03, 2.1.04, 2.1.08

This method is a simple app that can be installed through the normal method of app installation and provides a temporary root (root will disappear after reboot) There is also an option called Permanent root (Should be named Reacquire root after reboot)

The rooting is applied after the OS has booted completely so there is no effective way to change system files/apps. Also the file-system is still read-only so modification can only be done in a difficult way. For more information about how to do that go see here.

chulri's root

This method requires the installation of the SDE (Special Developer Edition) of Archos and the installation of the extracted kernel and modified initramfs of the stock firmware.

chulri has provided 2 different sets for each firmware version.

The first is with a temporary read-write file-system. So with the tmproot version you can experiment with making changes to the file-system and if they don't work out you can simply reboot to revert to the original state.

If you are confident about making changes you can install the rw sysroot version where the changes you make are permanent.

At the moment there are no changes done to the partitioning of the data and storage area. chulri is working on that now so that the /data space can be enlarged.

UrukDroid

This method requires the installation of the SDE (Special Developer Edition) of Archos and a full custom build kernel and file-system.

For more information about UrukDroid please read here.

Last edited:

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
What can I do when I have root?

Good now that you have rooted your device here are some cool things you can do with it.

Every app or modification you can do with root will have the above rooting methods indicated with the following colors.
  • Green Can be done.
  • Red Can NOT be done.
  • Blue Build-In.
  • Orange In development.

AppsSystem apps
Modifications
Custom framework-res (Theming)

Last edited:

AGxM

Dec 6, 2007
Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Really useful stuff, as a newbie to Android and to tablets I have been umming and ahhing over whether to root or not and will continue to monitor this thread for more information to help me decide.

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
Ok added them made a special section for THEMES and MODS

Both of these probably are possible with the archangel root.

All the Notion Ink Adam apps except for the browser are probably installable as normal apps.

The Vending.apk can be copied to the /data/test/froyo/system/app.

Reactions: fisha21

fisha21

Nov 23, 2007
Ok added them made a special section for THEMES and MODS

Both of these probably are possible with the archangel root.

All the Notion Ink Adam apps except for the browser are probably installable as normal apps.

The Vending.apk can be copied to the /data/test/froyo/system/app.

Thanks. I've no experience with the Archangel root, so wasn't sure. Perhaps if anyone else can confirm they work?

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
Awesome post...Wow.

wdl1908,

You've been a great contributor to helping Archos users. I really congratulates you. Thanks for all of your help. I know you do put much time into this.

Now my suggestion is to add one important thing ...Archos is still not adressing as of today: Blackberry Tethering. Dervari found the fix in their scripts. But they implmented the "if" statement fix but did not comment the "novj" parameter. Which still prevent Archos tabs to tether to BB.

With Chulri's and UrukDroid, you can do that simple edit and be able to tether to your BB. You can't do that with Archangel since the change need to stick.
For this and this alone a lot of people have decided to root. I guess it's a big one to mention.

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
wdl1908,

You've been a great contributor to helping Archos users. I really congratulates you. Thanks for all of your help. I know you do put much time into this.

Now my suggestion is to add one important thing ...Archos is still not adressing as of today: Blackberry Tethering. Dervari found the fix in their scripts. But they implmented the "if" statement fix but did not comment the "novj" parameter. Which still prevent Archos tabs to tether to BB.

With Chulri's and UrukDroid, you can do that simple edit and be able to tether to your BB. You can't do that with Archangel since the change need to stick.
For this and this alone a lot of people have decided to root. I guess it's a big one to mention.

Can you give me the link to thread that addresses the problem. I'll add it then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: This is a work in progress. Please send remarks/comments with additional information you want to see added to this thread.

So what is root exactly?

In the unix/linux world root is the super user that can do anything on the system. In the windows world the user is called Administrator. See here for a more detailed explanation.

Why should I need/want it?

This is a more difficult question than many people think. In the android world every app runs in its own sandbox, meaning every app can access it's own data and call the system to provide access to system resources but it can't access data from another app. This provides a very good protection against malware etc.....BUT it has disadvantages.

The first disadvantage that comes to mind is the possibility to backup the settings and private data of an app.

The second disadvantage is that for app A to be able to use the data from app B the app B must publish a programmers interface to it's data so the app A can access the data.

Both disadvantages can be overcome with root access.

root access can also overcome some limitations that are build in by the company (in this case Archos) that provided the software that runs on your device.

Read below for examples of what can be done.

Is it dangerous to have root?

The answer to that question is yes if you don't know what you are doing.

If you use root to execute command think twice before executing it. If you are following instructions always try to follow instructions to the letter. If you are not sure about something ask someone who knows about the subject.

If you use apps that require root always read the instructions and if you're not sure try to read about the program in question.

PS: Even the competent root user can make mistakes. I've nuke a few systems in my early years and will never make that mistake twice.

What is su and SuperUser.apk and how do they work?

The su binary is used by other apps to get root access. The SuperUser.apk is a front end to give the user some control over what app can have root.

Whenever the su binary is used by an app it will call upon the SuperUser.apk to pop up a question to Allow/Deny access to that app.
    What can I do when I have root?

Good now that you have rooted your device here are some cool things you can do with it.

Every app or modification you can do with root will have the above rooting methods indicated with the following colors.
    • Green Can be done.
    • Red Can NOT be done.
    • Blue Build-In.
    • Orange In development.

AppsSystem apps
    Modifications
    Custom framework-res (Theming)
    How do I root my gen8 device?

Good now we can get our hands dirty and go to work rooting our device.

At the moment there are 3 different ways to root your device with different levels of control and possibilities
    1. Archangel one-click (temporary) root
    2. chulri's root
    3. UrukDroid

Archangel one-click (temporary) root for firmware 2.0.71, 2.1.02, 2.1.03, 2.1.04, 2.1.08

This method is a simple app that can be installed through the normal method of app installation and provides a temporary root (root will disappear after reboot) There is also an option called Permanent root (Should be named Reacquire root after reboot)

The rooting is applied after the OS has booted completely so there is no effective way to change system files/apps. Also the file-system is still read-only so modification can only be done in a difficult way. For more information about how to do that go see here.

chulri's root

This method requires the installation of the SDE (Special Developer Edition) of Archos and the installation of the extracted kernel and modified initramfs of the stock firmware.

chulri has provided 2 different sets for each firmware version.

The first is with a temporary read-write file-system. So with the tmproot version you can experiment with making changes to the file-system and if they don't work out you can simply reboot to revert to the original state.

If you are confident about making changes you can install the rw sysroot version where the changes you make are permanent.

At the moment there are no changes done to the partitioning of the data and storage area. chulri is working on that now so that the /data space can be enlarged.

UrukDroid

This method requires the installation of the SDE (Special Developer Edition) of Archos and a full custom build kernel and file-system.

For more information about UrukDroid please read here.
    A huge "thumbs up!" for you! This is an awesome information thread :cool:

Thx just having some fun and I need to increase my thanks meter some more :D

If you have some suggestions they are always welcome.
    Reserved for future use