All Things "ServiceMode" Related

Search This thread

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thought I'd start a thread to compile everything we know about "ServiceMode" into a single thread, rather than having to go all over the place to find stuff.

What I know as of now:

As of now, I'm aware that you can enable access to the ServiceMode on a rooted VZW Note 3 by editing the /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu file and changing it from OFF to ON (uppercase is required).

For unrooted Note 3's, some have said there are some apps on the play store that will access the ServiceMode, but I have not been able to confirm these work.

Once ServiceMode access is enabled:

*#27663368378# takes you to the main menu where you can change various settings...most of which I don't know what they're for.

---Tips...the 'back button did not work for me and simply closed out of ServiceMode. Use the left 'Menu' key to bring up options, including 'Back'. Also, you can create a contact with the *#27663368378 number (minus the last #) and use that contact to 'copy to dialer' and save yourself from typing that number repeatedly.

To turn off Wifi Power Saving Mode:
Use either code above and at the ServiceMode screen, press the hard menu button, then select Wifi, then press the button under WIFI POWER SAVE MODE to turn it off.

To enable the new AWS band:
*#27663368378# to Main Menu, select [2]UE SETTINGS & INFO, then [1]SETTING, then select [2]SYSTEM, then select [9]NEXT PAGE and then select [4]VZW LTEB4 ON/OFF and finally select [1]B4 ENABLE ()...It should change to [1]B4 ENABLE (*) with an asterisk to show it is the selected option.
-- More information specific to the AWS settings can be found here. Thanks to @milan03

What I'm not sure about:

There is a setting under the RELEASE VERSION CONTROL menu for LTE 3GPP REL 9 and LTE 3GPP REL 10. Mine was set to REL 9, but I changed it to 10 and am going to see what happens. I google LTE 3GPP REL 10 and found some documentation. Not sure why I'd want to use an previous release of anything rather than the latest release. If anyone know what this is, please enlighten me.

I'm also not sure about most of the other settings and options. Are there any that we should change to get the best performance and connectivity from our Note 3's?

There are a lot of menus and a lot of settings. My hope is that this forum can become a one-stop-shop for what they all mean and what they should be set at for optimal performance. So, please....post away!

Waiting for confirmation:

CA setting stands for Carrier Aggregation and MAY increase data speeds. See the great post from @nutpn here!

DRX CONTROL appears to be a protocol to reduce network utilization and reduce device power consumption. The question is whether or not turning this protocol off will help network connectivity and/or speed AND what effect it has on battery performance. I will turn mine off and see if I notice anything on either front. However, I live and work in an area with very good coverage, so I'm not sure that I'd be a good test case for the network speed/connectivity portion. I will definitely monitor battery consumption. This setting can be found under [2]UE SETTTINGS & INFO, [1]SETTING, [1]PROTOCOL, [1]AS, [4]DRX CONTROL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-32-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-32-23.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 14,453
  • Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-32-37.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-32-37.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 13,429
  • Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-30-26.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-30-26.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 12,963
  • Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-31-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-16-23-31-34.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 11,883
Last edited:

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
Any potential battery drain issues enabling the aws frequency?

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Any potential battery drain issues enabling the aws frequency?

I just enabled it this evening, so I'll let you know tomorrow. I've typically been hooking up my phone to the charger when I go to bed at night with about 35% - 40% battery left...so I'll know tomorrow night if it's changed much. Also, it might be worth mentioning that I live in a suburb of DC, so I don't believe the AWS band is available here.

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
I just enabled it this evening, so I'll let you know tomorrow. I've typically been hooking up my phone to the charger when I go to bed at night with about 35% - 40% battery left...so I'll know tomorrow night if it's changed much. Also, it might be worth mentioning that I live in a suburb of DC, so I don't believe the AWS band is available here.

I'm also in an area I assume doesn't have it

Reactions: Abbas Mahmoud

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Not Just Wifi & AWS

Okay, keep in mind that I didn't want this to become a thread about just Wifi Power Saving & AWS band settings...there are already threads for those.

I'd like us to explore ALL the settings in ServiceMode and work together to figure out what they are and if there are any others that should be changed to enhance our phones. :)

Reactions: ncdub

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
I live in Atlanta, currently a city with AWS, so ill update with how speeds look and switch back and forth on a speed test when i get somewhere where the singal is full bars.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition

Atlanta has AWS band? Great! Will try it out today as I am in the Atlanta area, south side. Get all bars of 4g service.

Last edited:

nutpn

Dec 30, 2010
ALABAMA
CA

CA enable/disable Short for Carrier Aggregation. Its disabled on our note3, the link below on qualcomms website details carrier aggregation that allows for faster speeds by piping carriers together on LTE advanced. A great informative article, there is also a downloadable pdf that has plenty more knowledgeable info. I enabled mine and will keep you informed, thanks for an awesome thread.
Heres link
http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wireless-networks/technologies/lte-advanced

Last edited:
Reactions: cac2us and edwmsjr

edwmsjr

Mar 23, 2011
Virginia
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
how do you edit the file? or what app do u use?

You must be rooted. Then this article will walk you through using ES File Explorer to edit system files.

CA enable/disable Short for Carrier Aggregation. Its disabled on our note3, the link below on qualcomms website details carrier aggregation that allows for faster speeds by piping carriers together on LTE advanced. A great informative article, there is also a downloadable pdf that has plenty more knowledgeable info. I enabled mine and will keep you informed, thanks for an awesome thread.
Heres link

Great info! That was one of the ones I was wondering about! Let us know if you see any positive and/or negative repercussions. Thanks!

Last edited:

saddog5523

Jun 2, 2011
Jonesboro, AR
Heres link

How do you navigate to the CA enable/disable. I'm having trouble finding it.

keynith

Does the CA have to do with band 4? I have it enabled, but not forced. I'm currently on band 13. I was just wondering why it says it's wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You could try it and see. Im not sure about the logistics of it. What rom are you running? Dev or retail?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thought I'd start a thread to compile everything we know about "ServiceMode" into a single thread, rather than having to go all over the place to find stuff.

What I know as of now:

As of now, I'm aware that you can enable access to the ServiceMode on a rooted VZW Note 3 by editing the /efs/carrier/HiddenMenu file and changing it from OFF to ON (uppercase is required).

For unrooted Note 3's, some have said there are some apps on the play store that will access the ServiceMode, but I have not been able to confirm these work.

Once ServiceMode access is enabled:

*#27663368378# takes you to the main menu where you can change various settings...most of which I don't know what they're for.

---Tips...the 'back button did not work for me and simply closed out of ServiceMode. Use the left 'Menu' key to bring up options, including 'Back'. Also, you can create a contact with the *#27663368378 number (minus the last #) and use that contact to 'copy to dialer' and save yourself from typing that number repeatedly.

To turn off Wifi Power Saving Mode:
    Use either code above and at the ServiceMode screen, press the hard menu button, then select Wifi, then press the button under WIFI POWER SAVE MODE to turn it off.

To enable the new AWS band:
    *#27663368378# to Main Menu, select [2]UE SETTINGS & INFO, then [1]SETTING, then select [2]SYSTEM, then select [9]NEXT PAGE and then select [4]VZW LTEB4 ON/OFF and finally select [1]B4 ENABLE ()...It should change to [1]B4 ENABLE (*) with an asterisk to show it is the selected option.
    -- More information specific to the AWS settings can be found here. Thanks to @milan03

What I'm not sure about:

There is a setting under the RELEASE VERSION CONTROL menu for LTE 3GPP REL 9 and LTE 3GPP REL 10. Mine was set to REL 9, but I changed it to 10 and am going to see what happens. I google LTE 3GPP REL 10 and found some documentation. Not sure why I'd want to use an previous release of anything rather than the latest release. If anyone know what this is, please enlighten me.

I'm also not sure about most of the other settings and options. Are there any that we should change to get the best performance and connectivity from our Note 3's?

There are a lot of menus and a lot of settings. My hope is that this forum can become a one-stop-shop for what they all mean and what they should be set at for optimal performance. So, please....post away!

Waiting for confirmation:

CA setting stands for Carrier Aggregation and MAY increase data speeds. See the great post from @nutpn here!

DRX CONTROL appears to be a protocol to reduce network utilization and reduce device power consumption. The question is whether or not turning this protocol off will help network connectivity and/or speed AND what effect it has on battery performance. I will turn mine off and see if I notice anything on either front. However, I live and work in an area with very good coverage, so I'm not sure that I'd be a good test case for the network speed/connectivity portion. I will definitely monitor battery consumption. This setting can be found under [2]UE SETTTINGS & INFO, [1]SETTING, [1]PROTOCOL, [1]AS, [4]DRX CONTROL.
    So Sorry...

This thread sucks.
    The OP got me hopeful there would be some useful info in here.
    Instead its a bunch of crap back and forth "how do I."
    Does anyone have conclusive evidence that changing ANY of these settings benefits anything in any way?
    From what I see it screws up a bunch of crap and thats why folks are asking all of the stupid "HALP I BROKE MY PHONE" or "HALP MY SPEEDZ IS SUX."

Maybe need to reboot this thread.

Seriously...you come to XDA and this is the first post you ever make?! This thread contained all the information that could be found on service mode settings for a VZW Note3. I'm so sorry if the information you were looking for isn't here...but odds are if it's not here, it isn't anywhere. If you happen to find some new info that's not here, maybe you could be helpful and post it...rather than just being an jackass!

And since you didn't find any useful information here, I'm sure you'll find some valuable info here.
    @edwmsjr I have a similar thread over here (for the I9195 and many others):

[REF][ServiceMode] How to make your Samsung perform dog tricks

and the SM RF development thread:

[REF|R&D|RF] RF/Radio properties of Samsung ServiceMode

Hope it may help.
    I tried all the tricks I knew and I don't think it is possible anymore (if you are on the latest firmware). I know Phone info doesn't work anymore on 4.3 Note 2 and MJE Note 3 (which leads me to believe it should be the same on new S4 builds) because that service menu is now locked, but if you are on an older firmware it may still work.

Phone info app stopped working for me as well. I installed Advanced Signal Status on my phone yesterday and it allows you to reach the preferred network type like the Phone info did. You must be rooted to use it though...
    Forget the recent careless insult... it's a good thread. You might want to recap all the info contained in the various posts to make it easier to consult as reference.
    I posted for different reason: is this ServiceMode thread valid for SM-N9005 on the latest KK? If so, I can't find the "carrier" folder in the "efs" folder... I have root and I'm using root browser and EFX...
    Any help would be appreciated.

ServiceMode should work on most Samsung devices. You are looknig for the folder 'efs', then inside of that 'FactoryApp', and then the file 'HiddenMenu'. Open this file with a text editor on your device, change 'OFF' to 'ON', and reboot. You should be good to go.

Further, being rude and disrespectful to people providing information as a courtesy to others is not welcomed. It'd be in your best interest to take your criticisms of this thread elsewhere. (This is not directed at you ascanio1)