Stop trying to hack NoDo. Start hacking Mango.

Search This thread

CopyCounsler

Mar 31, 2008
ARRGH! Everytime I try to write to the file, it fails. It was so much simpler in NODO to write files wherever I wanted. I am trying to update the xaml (not xml) file after publishing without success. Any pointers? I've got my Studio up and going with a test app right now..

CopyCounsler

Mar 31, 2008
The Provxml hack does not work on the the Verizon Trophy too... ugh

I ABSOLUTELY do NOT want to hijack this thread but take a look here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1035392

If the carrier database file can be modified properly for the new phones, then the ProvXML hack could work again. I tried about every value that made sense without luck. Follow through the tangled threads to find out exactly where I left it off.

And back to the discussion. INTEROP MANGO!

MrNetrix

Jan 11, 2010
Montreal
I think some people are getting confused (I was as well) because interop homebrew apps that used to work on NoDo, such as WP7 Root Tools are not working on Mango, making it seem like the interop functionality is not working on Mango, even after using the unlock.xml with GPRS method. They simply try to run, then quit right away.

However, the Samsung Registry Editor (SamReg MalMod) works great on my Samsung Focus. The point is that it uses the interop capabilities. The method that I used is this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1152422

I am having a problem though. When I try to use ComBridge on a COM DLL of my own, it gives the error message: "Additional information: COM object with CLSID '[GUID]' cannot be created due to the following error: The request is not supported. ." The issue is most likely that the DLL that the Samsung Registry Editor uses is signed. Is there any way of getting around this yet?

Last edited:

(nico)

Feb 25, 2009
I think some people are getting confused (I was as well) because interop homebrew apps that used to work on NoDo, such as WP7 Root Tools are not working on Mango, making it seem like the interop functionality is not working on Mango, even after using the unlock.xml with GPRS method. They simply try to run, then quit right away.

Only Microsoft signed applications can use the interop API. Which means you have to go through the marketplace to activate interop, which MS won't allow if you're not the phone manufacturer.
That's what we are trying to bypass...

MrNetrix

Jan 11, 2010
Montreal
Only Microsoft signed applications can use the interop API. Which means you have to go through the marketplace to activate interop, which MS won't allow if you're not the phone manufacturer.
That's what we are trying to bypass...
That is incorrect, though I was unclear in my previous post. Through Visual Studio, I can build, deploy, and run the Samsung Registry editor that I mentioned, which uses interop on a COM DLL (meaning I can debug the app as it does the interop). The app itself is not signed and there is no marketplace involved. However, the DLL that it uses interop on is signed.

So using interop is restricted to signed COM DLLs, but that is a different issue than what you are talking about (signed applications through the marketplace).

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@MrNetrix: If true, that's very interesting. Most registry editors, for example, use a homebrew DLL for registry read, not a signed one, so that could be why most of them don't work. That gives a decent chance of making this work by bootstrapping using the abilities available through signed binaries, although it may fragment homebrew even further (since those binaries differ so much in capability from OEM to OEM).

MrNetrix

Jan 11, 2010
Montreal
@MrNetrix: If true, that's very interesting. Most registry editors, for example, use a homebrew DLL for registry read, not a signed one, so that could be why most of them don't work. That gives a decent chance of making this work by bootstrapping using the abilities available through signed binaries, although it may fragment homebrew even further (since those binaries differ so much in capability from OEM to OEM).
Well, it is true. If you have a Samsung Windows Phone, you could try it out yourself (see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10619966&postcount=16). If not, I guess you would have to find a signed DLL that is compatible with your device.

A major problem is that the homebrew would be limited to the functionality that the signed DLLs provide, which might be insufficient in many cases. Another issue is that it would still mean that no native homebrew would be possible.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
(nico), which of HTC's signed dll provides access to the registry? I hope the solution, similar to Samsung's registry editor - with only one native and officially signed dll - will work on HTC Mango.

jakelou

May 30, 2011
It's seems as though at this point we'll need to focus more on the Native area and start exploiting the OS ... MS has done a pretty damn good job on protecting literally everything.

MalooMF9

Jun 7, 2008
Wow, I'm pretty amazed that my little tweak to an old registry editor to use a different exploit showed up here so much later. I've been trying to figure out how to get registry editing on the mango, and the source code has been sitting on my computer the whole time. Hahaaa.

Glad to contribute.

ManelScout4Life

Oct 18, 2006
Newark, NJ
Wow, I'm pretty amazed that my little tweak to an old registry editor to use a different exploit showed up here so much later. I've been trying to figure out how to get registry editing on the mango, and the source code has been sitting on my computer the whole time. Hahaaa.

Glad to contribute.

For some reason I can't deploy your registry editor. I get the 81030120 error

MalooMF9

Jun 7, 2008
For some reason I can't deploy your registry editor. I get the 81030120 error

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the only way to deploy this to the phone and run it on mango is to first restore to NoDo, deploy it, upgrade to mango while maintaining dev unlock, THEN run it. There is still no published way to sideload apps that use interop.

ManelScout4Life

Oct 18, 2006
Newark, NJ
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the only way to deploy this to the phone and run it on mango is to first restore to NoDo, deploy it, upgrade to mango while maintaining dev unlock, THEN run it. There is still no published way to sideload apps that use interop.

Fack. All I want to do is enable the dehydration hack so I can use multitasking on mango like it's suppose to work. I guess I'll just wait for the apps to get updated. There is no way I am going back to Nodo for the second time.

MrNetrix

Jan 11, 2010
Montreal
Uh... I deploy it just fine on my Samsung Focus with Mango through Visual Studio. As I said in my previous posts, I can even debug your Registry editor while it performs the interop.

I can also deploy it using the Application Deployment tool. I have yet to experience this 'dreadful' 81030120 error...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As I briefly posted on my blog Monday, Mango will no longer support the deployment of XAPs containing the ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES flag. This means you won't be able to deploy your web servers, root tools, and other assorted unsupported hackery.

With our sanctioned, dirt cheap unlock service around the corner, trying to jailbreak NoDo (without upgrade hacks) is a waste of time. I believe the ROI on time spent on hacking this interop limitation is much greater. ;)

This limitation is implemented in PacmanInstaller.exe (on the phone); it scans the manifest for the flag and bails with HRESULT 0x81030120.

As Mango FFUs haven't been released yet, I haven't tested upgrade path 'hacks'; worse, this behavior doesn't appear to be reproducible in the emulator limiting current testing to those w/ Mango phones. (That should change in the next few weeks, hopefully.)

I'm interested to see what ideas you guys have!
    mfw i already found out a possible solution how to bypass this.
    >NoDo needed before Mango.

No trolling. Also, cant say it here on xda, then the Microsofties will pick it up and block...

>Trusted people i can tell, sry.
    Ok, if anyone follows this process, please Hit thanks, I spent many hours rolling back to NoDo and reupgrading to Mango (5 times, trying different things).

This worked on my CDMA Verizon HTC Trophy. Where the HTC Connection manager works (loads, and runs),it should work across the board with HTC based Devices. This gave me full unlimited (22 so far with no issues)deployments and full file manager access. Regsitry access to some keys are still in question but, otherwise everything works.

Assuming you are Dev unlocked or via another unlocked process.

You need to mostly follow the process here (just understand what is going on)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1157777

But, use the attached file.

Roll back to NoDO, use Windows Phone Device Manger to transfer that unrar'ed CustClear.provxml to your phone (prefer your My Documents).

-Make sure you have the Current HTC Connection Manager installed and have ran it at least once (make sure it's updated)
    -You need TouchXplorer installed (seach here you'll find it)
    -After you are at this point, copy the CustClear.provxml to the \Windows folder via TouchXplorer.
    -I also had RemoveSideloadLimit.xap installed as well.(you don't need this, it's just a 2nd running of the mod, the CustClear does the same thing)

Now step towards mango... Follow the Provision thing, Do the backup (very important) then it will upgrade you to 7401, At this point STOP !!!!!! (Just close the notfication that you have an update available)

Now, if you installed the RemoveSideloadLimit.xap, run it now, then also run the Connection manager. Reboot the Phone. Try to sideload a few apps, confirming that it works fine at this point. Use TouchXplorer again to re-copy the CustClear.provxml to the \Windows folder, just in case.

Once you confirm that you are unlocked and can deploy a few apps with out any limit issues, then plug back into Zune and upgrade to 7661 (mango b2).

When mango finally loads up, you will be unlocked, your sideload apps should still work (if over 3) and TouchXplorer should still run.

At this pont your limits are gone, File acces does work and you are where you want to be.

The Trick is to install the hacks in 7401 and not in 7661, I found this out the hard way. Please post back with your results and again don't forget to leave thanks if it worked for you.
    yeah lets tell rafael and his ms homies how the people here try to hack mango, so that he can tell ms to fix it before mango released to everyone.

I hope you wont tell a thing in the public @ fiinix, jaxbox, heathcliff

I too hope everyone will be a selfish bastard and will never get anything done.
    Also, we still need an easy way to deploy those apps to our phone (without going back to Nodo each time we want to deploy something).