[Q] Cyanogenmod for Galaxy S3 LTE?

Search This thread

SnowJim

Apr 25, 2011
Hi,

Is the cyanogenmod for Galaxy S III(LTE) - i9305 working as good as the original rom? Have heard before that some parts might not work as good but this was for about a year ago? Is it save to install it today?

And how about warranty? Is it possible to go back to original rom if I would need to send it to service?

MaHo_66

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 21, 2014
Utrecht
Hi,

Is the cyanogenmod for Galaxy S III(LTE) - i9305 working as good as the original rom? Have heard before that some parts might not work as good but this was for about a year ago? Is it save to install it today?

And how about warranty? Is it possible to go back to original rom if I would need to send it to service?

it is safe to install cm11, but it is not guaranteed that you will get a fully working rom as there are always some bugs with these nightly's.

about warranty, if you are on android 4.3 then you probably got knox in your system and whenever you flash a custom recovery, for flashing custom roms you will trigger the knox counter and they will not accept it if you send it to service.
but if you are coming from older android versions like 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 then you will have no knox and you can restore the system status and binary status showing left upper corner in download mode to official and for the counter you can reset it to 0 with triangle away app, but keep in mind that it could also reset the counter to 1, in that case you will not be able to send it to service.

peace

Anghirrim

Apr 29, 2011
Google Nexus 5
Samsung Galaxy J5
it is safe to install cm11, but it is not guaranteed that you will get a fully working rom as there are always some bugs with these nightly's.

about warranty, if you are on android 4.3 then you probably got knox in your system and whenever you flash a custom recovery, for flashing custom roms you will trigger the knox counter and they will not accept it if you send it to service.
but if you are coming from older android versions like 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 then you will have no knox and you can restore the system status and binary status showing left upper corner in download mode to official and for the counter you can reset it to 0 with triangle away app, but keep in mind that it could also reset the counter to 1, in that case you will not be able to send it to service.

peace

I tried Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and 11 in the past few days, both works perfectly. But I found that CM11 drains battery a bit more.

About Knox counter, installing CWM will enable the flag to 1, but it has been proven that if you send your device to customer service, it pass anyway. The Knox Warranty is a security warranty (for business phones where security is needed), not a device warranty info.

MaHo_66

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 21, 2014
Utrecht
I tried Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 and 11 in the past few days, both works perfectly. But I found that CM11 drains battery a bit more.

About Knox counter, installing CWM will enable the flag to 1, but it has been proven that if you send your device to customer service, it pass anyway. The Knox Warranty is a security warranty (for business phones where security is needed), not a device warranty info.

yeah, it could be like that.. but he still needs to restore custom binary download to 0 if he wants to send it for service and i think that triangle away restores it always to 1 with our i9305, so its either no warranty yes custom rom, or yes warranty no custom rom.. :)

Anghirrim

Apr 29, 2011
Google Nexus 5
Samsung Galaxy J5
If you read french, a guy wrote an awesome thread about Knox, how it works, what it is aimed for, how to use it... It helped me understand a lot of things and "un-mystify" the whole thing. I can send you the link if needed.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app

sambo.

Nov 8, 2012
i ran the 10.1.3 Stable for a while before jumping into a CM11 nightly on my i9305. Some of the early CM11 nightlies had serious problems, on the 20150521 build i'm running, no major issues detected so far.

I found the 10.1.3 build to be extremely savage on the battery. hard to tell if CM11 is better as I just installed an extended battery pack at around the same time I shifted from CM10.1.3 to CM11.

you can reset your phone back to stock and diddle the flash counter thing if you really need to (yes, i'm running a rooted phone).