[Q] Unable to flash Galaxy tab 3 10.1 GT-P5210

Search This thread

AppleAssassin

Aug 31, 2014
Hey guys, made an account just to ask this question as every time I try to flash CWM or TWRP my tab 3 just fails to do it

I follow all the instructions,

Boot into download mode
select the file in odin 3.07
deselect auto reboot
click start
I then tried all different combinations of buttons, i.e Power+vol up

but when I do that, unless I boot back into android, it just perpetually resets and wont go into recovery mode

Am I missing something here? a prerequisite?

Pitey

Nov 15, 2012
Did you try the combination Volume+ and Home and PowerOn, after you see the Samung Galaxy Logo, let go off the Power-Button and keep holding Volume+ and Home?

This ist the (Custom-)Recovery Mode, Power and Vol- would be Download-Mode.

Last edited:

AppleAssassin

Aug 31, 2014
Did you try the combination Volume+ and Home and PowerOn, after you see the Samung Galaxy Logo, let go off the Power-Button and keep holding Volume+ and Home?

This ist the (Custom-)Recovery Mode, Power and Vol- would be Download-Mode.

When I try the Vol+, power on and home it does the exact same thing, except resets once and then boots in to android

r2d23cpo

Jan 25, 2014
@AppleAssassin

First you are going to READ All this before executing anything. It took me a long time to write this, you should at least read it.

Please understand that we can not disconnect the battery!! So every time we press the POWER longer than 5 seconds TAB mimics a battery disconnect. Guess what, if you let the power button pressed after "Samsung" Logo shows, it will power of again!! This is what I suspect is your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. One you see Samsung Logo you need to release the Power.

Also, The original Command for Samsung Download Mode is [Power]+[Volume Down]+[Menu]. But in fact mine just go in Download without [Menu], just [Power]+[Volume Down] and release after Samsung logo.

Since our TAB 10 has a big screen it makes a little difficult to navigate on recoveries. I found that the best is a CWM improve version called Philz Adv CWM 6.55.0. You can read moonbutt74 tread at http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-3/development-10/clockworkmod-recovery-6-0-5-0-gt-p5210-t2830871
This will send you to: h__p://d-h.st/users/moonbutt74/?fld_id=38524#files

And I will suggest you download =>http://fs1.d-h.st/download/00136/SSY/PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210-v2.zip

1)First you need to feel comfortable. Realize that your tablet screen is a BIGGG button. Once you are doing the Dangerous stuff, if you have butter hands you can get in trouble easily. I do preferred to work with my TAB3 in a Flat surface like a table. Hands away if you do not need to touch anything.

2)Google and Youtube is your friend. I try to search for a video on TAB3 10 Recovery but no luck. So please look at:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 ClockWorkMod Recovery Install =>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolmtyvS3Yk&feature=youtu.be

That is for a 7" instead of a 10". You only need to realize that the [MENU Button] is on the side in a 7#. TAB3 10" [MENU Button] is on in the bottom (Land Scape). Use ONLY the software that applied to you particular model. Ignore the software names of the video.

You can have more videos at:
[VIDEOS] Galaxy Tab 3 7in How to root, recovery, roms, & Kitkat=>http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2459817

3)First turn on Tab and in Android OS Play with your buttons and verify they work. Learn to know what is your [Power] [Volume Down] [Volume Up] & [Menu]. Set clear in your mind that the [Volume Down] is the closes to the [Power].

4) If anything Fails you can get in to Download mode with adb command. But Please note that I will suggest you to figure out first why the volume method is not working, you will need them in the future. Be smart!.

See this video =>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYCpbMoWkQ

It show you how to use Googles SDK adb. Downloading SDK takes for ever. This what I will sugest you use. Instead use "Minimal ADB" by going to to this page http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790 READ that page too.

Download Version 1.1.3 for windows =>https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmSWh6NGJmSE1BUWc/edit?usp=sharing

As you will found installation will create a Shortcut in you Desktop. Using that "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" Shortcut will make the first 5 minutes of the previous video useless. So you only need the last minute where you type "adb reboot download". But here is my explanation:

a) Hook your Tab3 to the PC
b) Use "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" Shortcut
c) Verify that you Tab3 is recognized. Type in "Minimal ADB" the command
Code:
[COLOR="Blue"]adb device[/COLOR]s

If you find your self with this
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>[COLOR="Blue"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
12345678901234        [COLOR="Red"]offline[/COLOR]

This means you device is offline. To repair go to: Settings>Developer Options>
Now Unselected "Usb Debugging option" and reselect.

A Windows Pop Up, Click "Ok"

now lets try again adb devices
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb devices
List of devices attached
12345678901234        [COLOR="Blue"]device[/COLOR]

Success! is connected.

d) Now type in the Minimal ADB CMD window "adb reboot download" [Enter]
Code:
adb reboot download

You will see your tab turn off and reboot in Download mode. Now you can use Odin.

Last edited:

AppleAssassin

Aug 31, 2014
@AppleAssassin

First you are going to READ All this before executing anything. It took me a long time to write this, you should at least read it.

Please understand that we can not disconnect the battery!! So every time we press the POWER longer than 5 seconds TAB mimics a battery disconnect. Guess what, if you let the power button pressed after "Samsung" Logo shows, it will power of again!! This is what I suspect is your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. One you see Samsung Logo you need to release the Power.

Also, The original Command for Samsung Download Mode is [Power]+[Volume Down]+[Menu]. But in fact mine just go in Download without [Menu], just [Power]+[Volume Down] and release after Samsung logo.

Since our TAB 10 has a big screen it makes a little difficult to navigate on recoveries. I found that the best is a CWM improve version called Philz Adv CWM 6.55.0. You can read moonbutt74 tread at http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-3/development-10/clockworkmod-recovery-6-0-5-0-gt-p5210-t2830871
This will send you to: h__p://d-h.st/users/moonbutt74/?fld_id=38524#files

And I will suggest you download =>http://fs1.d-h.st/download/00136/SSY/PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210-v2.zip

1)First you need to feel comfortable. Realize that your tablet screen is a BIGGG button. Once you are doing the Dangerous stuff, if you have butter hands you can get in trouble easily. I do preferred to work with my TAB3 in a Flat surface like a table. Hands away if you do not need to touch anything.

2)Google and Youtube is your friend. I try to search for a video on TAB3 10 Recovery but no luck. So please look at:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 ClockWorkMod Recovery Install =>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolmtyvS3Yk&feature=youtu.be

That is for a 7" instead of a 10". You only need to realize that the [MENU Button] is on the side in a 7#. TAB3 10" [MENU Button] is on in the bottom (Land Scape). Use ONLY the software that applied to you particular model. Ignore the software names of the video.

You can have more videos at:
[VIDEOS] Galaxy Tab 3 7in How to root, recovery, roms, & Kitkat=>http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2459817

3)First turn on Tab and in Android OS Play with your buttons and verify they work. Learn to know what is your [Power] [Volume Down] [Volume Up] & [Menu]. Set clear in your mind that the [Volume Down] is the closes to the [Power].

4) If anything Fails you can get in to Download mode with adb command. But Please note that I will suggest you to figure out first why the volume method is not working, you will need them in the future. Be smart!.

See this video =>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPYCpbMoWkQ

It show you how to use Googles SDK adb. Downloading SDK takes for ever. This what I will sugest you use. Instead use "Minimal ADB" by going to to this page http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790 READ that page too.

Download Version 1.1.3 for windows =>https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmSWh6NGJmSE1BUWc/edit?usp=sharing

As you will found installation will create a Shortcut in you Desktop. Using that "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" Shortcut will make the first 5 minutes of the previous video useless. So you only need the last minute where you type "adb reboot download". But here is my explanation:

a) Hook your Tab3 to the PC
b) Use "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" Shortcut
c) Verify that you Tab3 is recognized. Type in "Minimal ADB" the command
Code:
[COLOR="Blue"]adb device[/COLOR]s

If you find your self with this
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>[COLOR="Blue"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
12345678901234        [COLOR="Red"]offline[/COLOR]

This means you device is offline. To repair go to: Settings>Developer Options>
Now Unselected "Usb Debugging option" and reselect.

A Windows Pop Up, Click "Ok"

now lets try again adb devices
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb devices
List of devices attached
12345678901234        [COLOR="Blue"]device[/COLOR]

Success! is connected.

d) Now type in the Minimal ADB CMD window "adb reboot download" [Enter]
Code:
adb reboot download

You will see your tab turn off and reboot in Download mode. Now you can use Odin.

Hey, thanks for writing all that but the problem isn't getting in to download mode. It's after I use odin in download mode. Whether I use "Auto Reboot" or manually reboot. Neither work. If I manually reboot out of download mode after I flash using odin, using the power+vol up and then release the power button as soon as I see the samsung logo it reboots again and then boots into android.

r2d23cpo

Jan 25, 2014
Hey, thanks for writing all that but the problem isn't getting in to download mode. It's after I use odin in download mode. Whether I use "Auto Reboot" or manually reboot. Neither work. If I manually reboot out of download mode after I flash using odin, using the power+vol up and then release the power button as soon as I see the samsung logo it reboots again and then boots into android.

So the problem is in fact You Can Not get into Recovery Mode!

My best guest is that the recovery file you are using is no good or that the procedure using Odin is no good.

Before we do anything lets use ADB Minimal to go into Recovery Mode and see what is the output.

So lets do Step #4 of my previous tutorial. But the last command instead of "adb reboot download" you are going to do

Code:
adb reboot recovery

Tel me what you see without pushing any buttons.

AppleAssassin

Aug 31, 2014
So the problem is in fact You Can Not get into Recovery Mode!

My best guest is that the recovery file you are using is no good or that the procedure using Odin is no good.

Before we do anything lets use ADB Minimal to go into Recovery Mode and see what is the output.

So lets do Step #4 of my previous tutorial. But the last command instead of "adb reboot download" you are going to do

Code:
adb reboot recovery

Tel me what you see without pushing any buttons.

I can boot recovery mode when the device has been turned off using power+vol up but I cannot reboot in to recovery from download mode. I can also reboot into recovery OR download mode using the adb fastboot

r2d23cpo

Jan 25, 2014
I can boot recovery mode when the device has been turned off using power+vol up but I cannot reboot in to recovery from download mode. I can also reboot into recovery OR download mode using the adb fastboot

Boy o Boy, you have no problem!

You are just complaining about Odin. Why Odin is not allowing you to reboot into recovery form it self! For that I have no Idea. Normally I used Odin ones to get my first Recovery and no more! I could used it again to load a factory OS, but I do not see my self doing that soon. The rest I do it from recovery using update.zip.

AppleAssassin

Aug 31, 2014
Boy o Boy, you have no problem!

You are just complaining about Odin. Why Odin is not allowing you to reboot into recovery form it self! For that I have no Idea. Normally I used Odin ones to get my first Recovery and no more! I could used it again to load a factory OS, but I do not see my self doing that soon. The rest I do it from recovery using update.zip.

I'm not complaining about odin. I'm expecting odin to do its job, and it seems to do it but my tab perpetually reboots after I "flash" the file and try to enter recovery mode

r2d23cpo

Jan 25, 2014
Also, with that cwm file you sent. How can I use it with odin because it is a .img file and not .tar or .md5?

You are definitely right! I just realized that. Looks like the developer @moonbutt74 assumed we all had a recovery all ready and did not make an Odin Package!!

If you have a linux machine you could: Extract "recovery.img" from "PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210-v2.zip" then do
Code:
tar -H ustar -c recovery.img > recovery.tar
md5sum -t recovery.tar >> recovery.tar
mv recovery.tar recovery.tar.md5

Windows does not allow you to do this easily. Here are some code compile to do that in cigwin. I called it img2tar,

Code:
1) Download and extract the img2tar.rar to your desktop.
2) Navigate to img2tar Folder
3) Open "PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210-v2.zip"  and using winrar or winzip extract "recovery.img" and place a copy inside img2tar Folder
4) Double click in Runme.bat
5) Now you should see "recovery.tar.md5" witch is a Odin type file.

KK 4.4.2 is a trick Android Rom. If you let the TAB to reboot automatically after you install recovery with Odin, chances are that su or recovery will fail. So I suggest you deselect "Auto Reboot" only let "F.Reset Time" This is not a tutorial in ODIN I suggest anyone read more about it. In particular DO NOT mark "RE-Partition" it is very dangerous. That is there for very Special occasions.

Odin

1) Turn Off your TAB.
2) Run Odin 3.07
3) Hook the cable to the TAB3
4) Press Just [Power]+[Volume Down] this is enogth in my tab. But if you Prefer [Power]+[Volume Down]+[Menu] Your Tab should Show the Warning! Screen and the Yellow Triangle. Nothing should be shown oin Odin yet.
5) As the test read [Volume Up] to Continue. Your Tab3 shows now the Android and read Downloading. Your PC did a "Beep" acnoledging the Driver is ready. Odin now shows in First Slot of "ID:COM" a Blue data that Reads "0:[COMx]" where x is a number for comport. Number does not mater. This tell you ODIN as recognized your Device.
6) Options: Now make sure check-mark ONLY for "F.Reset Time" is selected. Nothing more. Please read my warning before.
7) Files [Download] select check mark of PDA
8) Press PDA and Navigate to where you have your recovery in you case "img2tar\recovery.tar.md5"
9) "Message" window . Odin tell you the status in this window. you should see

Code:
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
So be smart wait!!
10) Then is file is validated you will see
Code:
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> recovery.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS.
11) Now after you see Successful Odin is ready. If you do not see there is something wrong.
12) Now we can press "START"
13) You should see ID:COM with progress bar. TAB3 shows a progress bar too. On top it reads "Recovery". With time you should read in Message
Code:
<ID:0/011> Odin v.3 engine (ID:11)..
<ID:0/011> File analysis..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/011> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/011> recovery.img
<ID:0/011> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/011> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/011> RES OK !!
14)You need to wait until Blue "Recovery" change to "Reset". Remember TAB3 will not boot automatically since we deselect. So Once we see reset we know it is ready.
15) Now we go to the TAB3 and press [Power]+[Volume UP] to get into recovery. This is important since some time recovery fails if we let the TAB3 reboot in to OS. KitKat bad behavior will screw our recovery on purposed.
16) navigate if you like to see your new recovery
17) Here is what I do different at this time I go and install super su again. This is the only su that we have test that survive Kitkat attack=>http://download.chainfire.eu/452/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip
18) Now reboot.

Now I had also attached the files with philz inside. I hope there is no problem. But if for any reason any of the authors complain, I will delete this and/or authorize moderators to do it them self. It is only been done to help AppleAssassin and with the cause in fact that this file is not available in Odin form yet. @moonbutt74 Can you please add to your folder an ODIN type of file for all of your Recoveries. I know many will appreciate that.

But Please note that I have left the ing2tar mechanism so that any can transform their *.img in to tar.md5 and do it them self!

I'm not complaining about odin. I'm expecting odin to do its job, and it seems to do it but my tab perpetually reboots after I "flash" the file and try to enter recovery mode

Forget me for saying "complaining". Be smart. I understood you say you can get in to Recovery! So why use Odin again!!!!

In any case I have provided you the files.

Please Note, I had Test the files my self, but I give no warranties on it used. Do it at your own risk.

Attachments

• img2tar.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Reactions: AppleAssassin

r2d23cpo

Jan 25, 2014
Finally uploaded the Philz tar.md5
Code:
http://d-h.st/j6y

As I say as soon any possible author complains I will delete lt. So be quick.

Last edited:

AppleAssassin

Aug 31, 2014
You are definitely right! I just realized that. Looks like the developer @moonbutt74 assumed we all had a recovery all ready and did not make an Odin Package!!

If you have a linux machine you could: Extract "recovery.img" from "PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210-v2.zip" then do
Code:

Windows does not allow you to do this easily. Here are some code compile to do that in cigwin. I called it img2tar,

Code:
3) Open "PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210-v2.zip"  and using winrar or winzip extract "recovery.img" and place a copy inside img2tar Folder

KK 4.4.2 is a trick Android Rom. If you let the TAB to reboot automatically after you install recovery with Odin, chances are that su or recovery will fail. So I suggest you deselect "Auto Reboot" only let "F.Reset Time" This is not a tutorial in ODIN I suggest anyone read more about it. In particular DO NOT mark "RE-Partition" it is very dangerous. That is there for very Special occasions.

Odin

1) Turn Off your TAB.
2) Run Odin 3.07
4) Press Just [Power]+[Volume Down] this is enogth in my tab. But if you Prefer [Power]+[Volume Down]+[Menu] Your Tab should Show the Warning! Screen and the Yellow Triangle. Nothing should be shown oin Odin yet.
5) As the test read [Volume Up] to Continue. Your Tab3 shows now the Android and read Downloading. Your PC did a "Beep" acnoledging the Driver is ready. Odin now shows in First Slot of "ID:COM" a Blue data that Reads "0:[COMx]" where x is a number for comport. Number does not mater. This tell you ODIN as recognized your Device.
6) Options: Now make sure check-mark ONLY for "F.Reset Time" is selected. Nothing more. Please read my warning before.
8) Press PDA and Navigate to where you have your recovery in you case "img2tar\recovery.tar.md5"

Code:
<OSM> Please wait..
So be smart wait!!
Code:
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/011> Removed!!
<ID:0/011> Added!!
11) Now after you see Successfull...Added this means Odin is ready. If you do not see theis something is wrong.
13) You should see ID:COM with progress bar. TAB3 shows a progress bar too. On top it reads "Recovery". With time you should read in Message
Code:
14)You need to wait until Blue "Recovery" change to "Reset". Remember TAB3 will not boot automaticly sinec we deselect. So Once we see reset we know it is ready.
15) Now we go to the TAB3 and press [Power]+[Volume UP] to get into recovery. This is important since some time recovery fails if we let the TAB3 reboot in to OS. KitKat bad behavior will screw our recovery on purposed.
17) Here is what I do different at this time I go and install super su again. This is the only su that we have test that survive Kitkat attack=>http://download.chainfire.eu/452/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.02.zip
18) Now reboot.

Now I had also attached the files with philz inside. I hope there is no problem. But if for any reason any of the authors complain, I will delete this and/or authorize moderators to do it them self. It is only been done to help AppleAssassin and with the cause in fact that this file is not available in Odin form yet. @moonbutt74 Can you please add to your folder an ODIN type of file for all of your Recoveries. I know many will appreciate that.

But Please note that I have left the ing2tar mechanism so that any can transform their *.img in to tar.md5 and do it them self!

Forget me for saying "complaining". Be smart. I understood you say you can get in to Recovery! So why use Odin again!!!!

Please Note, I had Test the files my self, but I give no warranties on it used. Do it at your own risk.

It works!

r2d23cpo

Jan 25, 2014
It has to work, i am Perfect.

Just kidding. I am glad you resolve your problem. Remember thanks to @moonbutt74 Philz CWM and chainfire that really the guys that make this possible.

WaKaCha

Oct 12, 2015
Hello, I rooted with odin and put in philz recovery and had SU 2.02 working but then I wanted to try pimpdroid, so I cleared the data for a fresh install as described and then tried to install pimpdroid...nothing happens just Samsung boot screen forever... Tried to go back to SU still nothing...tried to factory reflash and the same...did I brick this thing somehow or anyone can tell me what to do? It's the Canadian version. Was starting with 4.42.

HELP!! PLEAAAAZE?!?!!?:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Also, with that cwm file you sent. How can I use it with odin because it is a .img file and not .tar or .md5?

Code:

Code:

Odin

1) Turn Off your TAB.
    2) Run Odin 3.07

Code:
    <OSM> Please wait..
    So be smart wait!!
    Code:
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS.
    11) Now after you see Successful Odin is ready. If you do not see there is something wrong.
    Code:
    14)You need to wait until Blue "Recovery" change to "Reset". Remember TAB3 will not boot automatically since we deselect. So Once we see reset we know it is ready.
    18) Now reboot.