How to: Push apps(.apk) to/system/app(and various other "how to's")

Search This thread
I am NOT responsible if you screw up your phone...duh...but anyways...

First thing i want to say is that for this and any other type of edits similar to this I will be giving instructions for if you are using ROOT EXPLORER. These things can be done easily with other file explorers also. As long as you can browse as root and mount /system as r/w(read/write) . Root explorer makes this very simple and easy.

Now how to do this:
1.When you download an application it usually comes in an .apk format.
2.Using root explorer navigate to the .apk you have downloaded or extracted from a .zip file.
3.Long press the .apk file and choose "MOVE"
4. navigate to /system/app
5. Press the gray button on top of the window you are now viewing that says "Mount R/W"((it will be next to where root explorer shows how much space you have available for the partition you are viewing))
6. Press paste.
7. ::VERY IMPORTANT::you cannot skip this step. Go to the .apk you just pasted and long press it.
Now choose "Permissions"
change the permissions to be rw-r--r--....it will look like this in the boxes
(X=a checked box. _=empty box)
Owner:X X _
Group: X _ _
Others:X _ _

8. now simply reboot your phone and presto it is now a system app. and it wont be wiped away if you perform a data wipe.

If you would like to move an app that you have downloaded from the market to /system , just simply go to /data/app and long press the apk for the app you would like to push to system and follow steps 3-8.
this way you can make an app such as a launcher app your "system launcher" so it wont be wiped if u data wipe. And you could also delete your stock launcher or rename it to .bak and you can have just one launcher running at all times instead of two.

I would also like to state that I intend to grow this post and this thread into a collection of various how to's , including, but not limited to, Basic rom flashing instructions, Theme flashing instructions, definitions for the acronyms we use all the time, and any other general how to's anyone may suggest to us.
Lets keep this thread as helpful as possible. of course its going to "go off topic" due to all the topics it will encompass soon, but lets try to stay a little focused and tasks at hand.

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THIS THREAD? PLEASE RESPOND BY POSTING HERE OR PM ME AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO ADD IT IN AND ACCURATELY DESCRIBE IT.

ALSO- IF YOU FIND ANYTHING TO BE INACCURATE PLEASE POINT IT OUT AND I WILL FIX IT ASAP. THANK YOU

this thread is intended to be helpful. i will tolerate no flaming of anyone of any kind. those types of posts will be immediatly reported(with extreme prejudice). just sayin...

we are all noobs at heart...lets do our best to help each other out.

Last edited:

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
General collection of tips, how to and questions.

####BACKUP your current system with BSR before doing anything!####
1. SBF or nand restore to stock 2.3.4 (if on completely unmodified and fully bloated stock 2.3.4 skip to step 2)
2. Apply 2.3.5 (412 build) in stock recovery after placing on external sd card root and renaming update.zip (reboot phone and hold down volume, press down arrow until you see android recovery, press up volume button, when on next screen press both volume buttons at same time. Wipe cache and flash update.zip)
3. Root using zergrush (with phone unpluged unzip and open zergrush program....make sure unknown sources in applications is checked and that debuggung is checkmarked. I also checkmark stay awake as zergrush recommends setting screen timeout for ten minutes. Connect your phone and then check it is connected as charge only. Hit spacebar and then the phone will reboot after the zerglings lol find a way in and your rooted)
***Rootkeeper has caused issues with some roms aborting install.***
4. Install & then boot into bootstrap
5. Wipe data, cache and dalvik
6. Flash 2.3.5 based custom rom from removable sd card & reboot when done.

http://depositfiles.com/files/gi4tib8jq RSD Lite 5.4.4

http://depositfiles.com/files/spvcfjb4w 2.3.4 SBF

http://depositfiles.com/files/95u3zw9k6 2.3.5 update (412 build) Eclipse 2.0.3 and GingerBread Phone 7 are based off this build

Zergrush V3 is here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=784296&stc=1&d=1321435888

Boot Strap Recovery www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/Bootstrap_signed.apk Download from the link and install from root of sd after rooting phone with zergrush.

They are the actual links the devs made.
http://eclipserom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11 look here for nitro's direct Eclipse 2.0.3 download.

http://depositfiles.com/files/4yk1ylqob
peper's direct GingerBread Phone 7 download

Rootkeeper has caused some failed Eclipse 2.0.X installs. This method is the safest bet.

For icing on the cake here is the SBF Tutorial link if you dont know how to SBF http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1175300
A.Yes you can reflash your current rom again. It will reset any theming you have done or flashed back to the roms presets. It will not delete your downloaded apps but will reset all system apps to the rom presets. You just need to wipe cache and dalvik in BSR before you reflash the SAME rom your currently using. This is generally true for updates to your rom unless there is a kernel change.
-------------------------------------------------------
Search Key as dedicated Camera Button Mod (Credit goes to robocuff for letting me know about this)
In root explorer or my favorite paid Root Browser
/system/usr/keylayout. Open the tegra-kbc.kl file in a text editor and find the line that says key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED and comment it out by putting a # in front of it. Then just add a line that says key 217 CAMERA just below it THE "K" ON BOTH HAVE TO BE LOWER CASE K's. Click save or just back button out. Reboot your phone and you should have it. Root browser creates a backup file called tegra-kbc.kl.bak to revert back just delete the tegra-kbc.kl and then take the .bak off the backup file and reboot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Can is nandriod back and forth from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5
A. You can nadroid back and forth however it will not change the kernel. If you restore a Eclipse 2.0.2 backup and even if the backup was on a 2.3.5 build you will be on the 2.3.4 kernel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advice: For what it's worth. I noticed when Eclipse 2.0 came out and peper pointed this out. Devs and mod makers create these things with instructions and make them based of certain recommendations/prerequisites and if at all possible follow the instructions and recommendations for use. The results they are intending to give you are based off of what they build them. If you want the best results from a rom or mod follow the given instructions. If you read carefully and follow the instructions to a "T" you'll get what you want. All these phones are the same so I am sure some issues people have with a rom or mod can be fixed easily by following the directions/recommendations /prerequisites given. That's why they are there.
Im not trying to discourage playing around with something just saying if you have an issue. Reread the provided instructions and retry it following them exactly. You'll probably find a happy result and less headache.
Happy flashing :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How to change phone to 3G only
Open the phone app, dial *#*#4636#*#*, then go to phone information, then scroll down and change CDMA Auto (PRL) to EvDo only, then you are done Edit: This must be done again after a reboot. If I find a way that sticks after a reboot I will update this.
(Thanks to.Kuriohonoo for the tip)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Last edited:

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
This is awesome Ash! This will help out so many people and also hopefully keep the developers threads clean of basic questions. This gives people confidence to try new things! Thanks from all!

ImgBurn

Aug 10, 2011
West Of Phily South Jersey
Bump

Hy ash,

I was thinking about this a couple month's ago, thought it would be possible got distracted and forgot about it. Guess it is, nicely laid out walk-through.
This is an outstanding idea for a thread.:)

I VOTE FOR A STICKY How about it mod:p

Thanks imgburn
Just wanna day that motcher and I are working together on this thread to try and create a general how to thread that can be linked to instead of having to rewrite the same directions for things over and over every time the questions get asked lol.

Also...to get this to be a sticky just pm a mod or "report" it with other and explain u think it should be stickied.(another how to? Lol)

But I don't feel this thread has reached sticky status just yet. Im computer less for a day or two but as soon as I get it back I will be adding more to this.
battery calibration, bump charge...and suggestions for better battery...basic stuff that gets asked a thousand times lol....

Reactions: 47reed

CadenH

Sep 26, 2011
Great thread! Let's hope it gets read! Seeing as how most stickied threads don't get read (or so it seems) maybe it should remain unstickied...jk :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Thanks imgburn
Just wanna day that motcher and I are working together on this thread to try and create a general how to thread that can be linked to instead of having to rewrite the same directions for things over and over every time the questions get asked lol.
Ill be doing most of my additions at work so wednesay I will edit and work on more with ash. Hopefully we can hit all the hard things and the simple ones to. Oneday we hope to basically make this the complete refer to thread for the x2 daily things people need to get help with

Also...to get this to be a sticky just pm a mod or "report" it with other and explain u think it should be stickied.(another how to? Lol)

But I don't feel this thread has reached sticky status just yet. Im computer less for a day or two but as soon as I get it back I will be adding more to this.
battery calibration, bump charge...and suggestions for better battery...basic stuff that gets asked a thousand times lol....

+1 on that. If you wanna report it for that its up to you but id wait so the mod can say holy crap this has "stickyworthyness"(copyright pending lol)

Last edited:

iBolski

Quick question on nandroid backups. I backed up my Eclipse 2.0.2 via BSR and then went back to stock 2.3.4. I'm wanting to go back to Eclipse 2.0.2 which is on 2.3.5.

Can I just restore my nandroid 2.0.2 without having to apply the 2.3.5 update? Or, do I have to do the 2.3.5 update, reroot, apply BSR and then restore my Eclipse 2.0.2 nandroid backup?

Thanks!

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Quick question on nandroid backups. I backed up my Eclipse 2.0.2 via BSR and then went back to stock 2.3.4. I'm wanting to go back to Eclipse 2.0.2 which is on 2.3.5.

Can I just restore my nandroid 2.0.2 without having to apply the 2.3.5 update? Or, do I have to do the 2.3.5 update, reroot, apply BSR and then restore my Eclipse 2.0.2 nandroid backup?

Thanks!

You can just apply the BSR nandroid backup

Reactions: iBolski
Does BSR restore the 2.3.5 kernel from 2.3.4? I wouldn't think it would due to that pesky locked BL.

Nandroiding back and forth between 2.3.4&2.3.5 is not recommended..
It will NOT restore kernel going between backups.
This will eventually cause u issues.

Motcher...u might want to change ur answer above to reflect that it is POSSIBLE but not recommended ;)

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Nandroiding back and forth between 2.3.4&2.3.5 is not recommended..
It will NOT restore kernel going between backups.
This will eventually cause u issues.

Motcher...u might want to change ur answer above to reflect that it is POSSIBLE but not recommended ;)

I will put that but wanna find out the kernel numbers and I have no clue how I got onto 2.3.5 build 413. I will have to fix that when I get my replacement if it is an X2...if its not...oh the dilemma.

Here is the other thing. Last time I sbf'd I nandroided to my Eclipse 2.0.2 which is on the 413 build and the kernel is 00005 so thats why I am wondering if it does indeed moved the kernel.

Last edited:

Malvoiy

Apr 5, 2011
Dunno if it helps but im in 413 also with the 00007 kernel.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Dunno if it helps but im in 413 also with the 00007 kernel.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

What motcher was trying to figure out is if you restore a nandroid made on 2.3.4 while you're running 2.3.5 , week it restore the 2.3.4 kernel as well.
I am 99.9% certain that it Will NOT change the kernel back to 2.3.4 kernel

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
What motcher was trying to figure out is if you restore a nandroid made on 2.3.4 while you're running 2.3.5 , week it restore the 2.3.4 kernel as well.
I am 99.9% certain that it Will NOT change the kernel back to 2.3.4 kernel

I nandroided after my last sbf straight into my eclipse 2.0.2 backup and my kernel is 00005 which I think is the 2.3.4 so its confirmed. Ash your not 99.9% right your 100 % right

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am NOT responsible if you screw up your phone...duh...but anyways...

First thing i want to say is that for this and any other type of edits similar to this I will be giving instructions for if you are using ROOT EXPLORER. These things can be done easily with other file explorers also. As long as you can browse as root and mount /system as r/w(read/write) . Root explorer makes this very simple and easy.

Now how to do this:
    1.When you download an application it usually comes in an .apk format.
    2.Using root explorer navigate to the .apk you have downloaded or extracted from a .zip file.
    3.Long press the .apk file and choose "MOVE"
    4. navigate to /system/app
    5. Press the gray button on top of the window you are now viewing that says "Mount R/W"((it will be next to where root explorer shows how much space you have available for the partition you are viewing))
    6. Press paste.
    7. ::VERY IMPORTANT::you cannot skip this step. Go to the .apk you just pasted and long press it.
    Now choose "Permissions"
    change the permissions to be rw-r--r--....it will look like this in the boxes
    (X=a checked box. _=empty box)
    Owner:X X _
    Group: X _ _
    Others:X _ _

8. now simply reboot your phone and presto it is now a system app. and it wont be wiped away if you perform a data wipe.

If you would like to move an app that you have downloaded from the market to /system , just simply go to /data/app and long press the apk for the app you would like to push to system and follow steps 3-8.
    this way you can make an app such as a launcher app your "system launcher" so it wont be wiped if u data wipe. And you could also delete your stock launcher or rename it to .bak and you can have just one launcher running at all times instead of two.

I would also like to state that I intend to grow this post and this thread into a collection of various how to's , including, but not limited to, Basic rom flashing instructions, Theme flashing instructions, definitions for the acronyms we use all the time, and any other general how to's anyone may suggest to us.
    Lets keep this thread as helpful as possible. of course its going to "go off topic" due to all the topics it will encompass soon, but lets try to stay a little focused and tasks at hand.

IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THIS THREAD? PLEASE RESPOND BY POSTING HERE OR PM ME AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO ADD IT IN AND ACCURATELY DESCRIBE IT.

ALSO- IF YOU FIND ANYTHING TO BE INACCURATE PLEASE POINT IT OUT AND I WILL FIX IT ASAP. THANK YOU

this thread is intended to be helpful. i will tolerate no flaming of anyone of any kind. those types of posts will be immediatly reported(with extreme prejudice). just sayin...

we are all noobs at heart...lets do our best to help each other out.
    General collection of tips, how to and questions.

####BACKUP your current system with BSR before doing anything!####
    1. SBF or nand restore to stock 2.3.4 (if on completely unmodified and fully bloated stock 2.3.4 skip to step 2)
    2. Apply 2.3.5 (412 build) in stock recovery after placing on external sd card root and renaming update.zip (reboot phone and hold down volume, press down arrow until you see android recovery, press up volume button, when on next screen press both volume buttons at same time. Wipe cache and flash update.zip)
    3. Root using zergrush (with phone unpluged unzip and open zergrush program....make sure unknown sources in applications is checked and that debuggung is checkmarked. I also checkmark stay awake as zergrush recommends setting screen timeout for ten minutes. Connect your phone and then check it is connected as charge only. Hit spacebar and then the phone will reboot after the zerglings lol find a way in and your rooted)
    ***Rootkeeper has caused issues with some roms aborting install.***
    4. Install & then boot into bootstrap
    5. Wipe data, cache and dalvik
    6. Flash 2.3.5 based custom rom from removable sd card & reboot when done.

http://depositfiles.com/files/gi4tib8jq RSD Lite 5.4.4

http://depositfiles.com/files/spvcfjb4w 2.3.4 SBF

http://depositfiles.com/files/95u3zw9k6 2.3.5 update (412 build) Eclipse 2.0.3 and GingerBread Phone 7 are based off this build

Zergrush V3 is here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=784296&stc=1&d=1321435888

Boot Strap Recovery www.bandbinnovations.com/xda/DX2/Bootstrap_signed.apk Download from the link and install from root of sd after rooting phone with zergrush.

They are the actual links the devs made.
    http://eclipserom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11 look here for nitro's direct Eclipse 2.0.3 download.

http://depositfiles.com/files/4yk1ylqob
    peper's direct GingerBread Phone 7 download

Rootkeeper has caused some failed Eclipse 2.0.X installs. This method is the safest bet.

For icing on the cake here is the SBF Tutorial link if you dont know how to SBF http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1175300
    A.Yes you can reflash your current rom again. It will reset any theming you have done or flashed back to the roms presets. It will not delete your downloaded apps but will reset all system apps to the rom presets. You just need to wipe cache and dalvik in BSR before you reflash the SAME rom your currently using. This is generally true for updates to your rom unless there is a kernel change.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Search Key as dedicated Camera Button Mod (Credit goes to robocuff for letting me know about this)
    In root explorer or my favorite paid Root Browser
    /system/usr/keylayout. Open the tegra-kbc.kl file in a text editor and find the line that says key 217 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED and comment it out by putting a # in front of it. Then just add a line that says key 217 CAMERA just below it THE "K" ON BOTH HAVE TO BE LOWER CASE K's. Click save or just back button out. Reboot your phone and you should have it. Root browser creates a backup file called tegra-kbc.kl.bak to revert back just delete the tegra-kbc.kl and then take the .bak off the backup file and reboot.
    Q. Can is nandriod back and forth from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5
    A. You can nadroid back and forth however it will not change the kernel. If you restore a Eclipse 2.0.2 backup and even if the backup was on a 2.3.5 build you will be on the 2.3.4 kernel.
    Advice: For what it's worth. I noticed when Eclipse 2.0 came out and peper pointed this out. Devs and mod makers create these things with instructions and make them based of certain recommendations/prerequisites and if at all possible follow the instructions and recommendations for use. The results they are intending to give you are based off of what they build them. If you want the best results from a rom or mod follow the given instructions. If you read carefully and follow the instructions to a "T" you'll get what you want. All these phones are the same so I am sure some issues people have with a rom or mod can be fixed easily by following the directions/recommendations /prerequisites given. That's why they are there.
    Im not trying to discourage playing around with something just saying if you have an issue. Reread the provided instructions and retry it following them exactly. You'll probably find a happy result and less headache.
    Happy flashing :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How to change phone to 3G only
    Open the phone app, dial *#*#4636#*#*, then go to phone information, then scroll down and change CDMA Auto (PRL) to EvDo only, then you are done Edit: This must be done again after a reboot. If I find a way that sticks after a reboot I will update this.
    (Thanks to.Kuriohonoo for the tip)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium
    reserved for more info

SEE MOTCHER's POST BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION/HOW TO...

Also...don't forget to thank motcher as well if u like this thread...this is a collaboration thread between him and I. :cool:
    Thanks imgburn

Thanks!

You can just apply the BSR nandroid backup