Search This thread

jaybob413

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2007
ParanoidAndroid for AOSP 4.2.2

n4-product-herokau56.png

untitled-11cbkj.png

Work in Progress
  • Please make sure you have backups for anything you don't want to lose.
  • Google apps are not official, this is a community hack, we have tested all apps but you could still encounter issues.
  • This is still a work in progress. we are working hard to tame 4.2.2, which brought significant changes and bugs.
  • Do not ask about CyanogenMod features. We will continue to add more features in version 3.x, when we have a 100% stable base.

Installation
  • Update your recovery to the latest version. Pre 4.2 recoveries can mess up your sd card/storage. We recommend TWRP.
  • Download pa google apps: http://d-h.st/Do8 Updated 15-JUL-2013
  • Download rom: http://d-h.st/AnC Updated 18-JUL-2013
  • Follow PA on Google+ for changes and other info
  • Perform a factory reset in recovery, unless you are already on PA 2.99+
  • Flash ROM first, then gapps
  • Wipe dalvik & cache
  • Reboot and wait, first bootup can take up to 5 minutes, it will also restart once
  • Enter your Google account info, press home when you encounter the black screen
  • After the quirky bootup is over, the rom should work normally
  • Do not restore system apps, system data and Google apps. This can cause bootloops and other problems due to mismatches from CM to AOSP and Android version 4.1.2 to 4.2

• Previous jellybean versions: toro

Features
  • Hybrid engine ported, Per App DPI and Per App Layout
  • Tablet UI back from the dead
  • Per app color
  • Quicksettings -> Quicktoggles (first draft, more to follow)
  • New recents implementation
  • We fixed the aosp lag in the recents view, well, most of it
  • New SystemUI Icons that can cope with transparent bars, thanks go to John Xionidis
  • See through Lockscreen is back
  • Transparent bars + Launcher2 modified to cope with it
  • 4.2 Walls and Sounds
  • Google stock apps
  • Extended Desktop

untitled-19kkgo.png

PER-APP-DPI/LAYOUT
This is not tablet mode! Hybrid engine allows you to target apps individually. You get to pick their actual layouts which can tranform content drastically. Keep in mind, this has nothing to do with build.prop hacks or DPI changes. We list all layouts an app brings, you choose one, its as easy as that. It does not matter if your device runs itself in Phone-, Phablet or Tablet-UI, your apps will always look as you like. On top of that you can scale apps, to fit your screen, that way you can even bring full fledged tablet apps and make them run perfectly. Nothing will break, nothing will shrink, your market will be fine. Additionally we have rewritten many parts of the android framework and fixed countless of AOSP bugs to make way for these modifications - our "tablet mode" runs better on a phone than on a real tablet, that is guaranteed.

untitled-1jij2c.png

PER-APP-COLOR
ParanoidAndroid's newest invention. Define apps in your regular hybrid panel. See your phone fade into the color definition of your current app, press home or go elsewhere and it fades back. Create as many combinations you like, you can even dabble with opacity. This feature is made possible by our hybrid engine, which is unique to this rom.

Hints

Last edited:

jaybob413

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2007
[ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [pa-toro-1.97-06AUG2012-181927]

paranoid_changelogjmkth.png

• pa_toro-1.97-06AUG2012-181927.zip
  • New option: "large" to trick an app thinking the device has a real big screen. some need it, like amazon kindle to jump into tabUI. some even react on it, gdrive will slightly adapt its layout - makes only sense if you give it a small dpi though.
  • The algorithm to extract the actual layout containers from apk files works more precise and can reveal more than before. there will still be a few apps left who do that layout stuff in java - we will add an override button for that, but in the meantime you can edit /system/etc/paranoid/properties.conf .layout=360 for phone-like UI, 600 for phablet, 720 = tablet, 1280 = super huge tablet
  • Several bugfixes from us and cm
  • pa-toro-1.4a-18JUN2012-160452
  • New Hybrid code, keyboard troubles should be gone, apps that crop images or display weird, that should be gone aswell
  • PAD/PAL work in phonemode 100%, no weird toggles and stuff like that. you get full tablet apps without caveats
  • Settings cleanup, most of the garbage dpi options are gone, should be more intuitive - i ask you to not bring your old pad.props though some things changed. if you know what you do take a look and edit by hand
  • Trashed our LatinIME repo - not needed anymore
  • pa-toro-1.3a-15JUN2012-190611
  • Navigationbuttons in phone mode are fixed
  • Default CM tuna kernel
  • Settings panel had a bug, you couldnt set android.dpi, decriptions sucked, too
  • Speed improvements, all launchers are buttersmooth now
  • Force option for widget scaling works again

Last edited:

bill12690

Mar 9, 2010
First page! Thanks again to everyone involved!

Any plans for a linaro build?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Mar 17, 2009
Awesome. I've only been on this ROM for 1 day (since the release of 1.2), but I've been following it for a week or so. So far, I'm quite impressed, and definitely love the tablet functionality.

Thanks to Moles for all his hard work on this, and thanks to jaybob for bringing it to us CDMA folks.

AlpineM3

Sep 22, 2010
Is this for CDMA fellas?

Btw- don't see a "fix" file package anymore, not needed? I'm on 1.1b and was going to flash 1.2b, but saw this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Is this for CDMA fellas?

Btw- don't see a "fix" file package anymore, not needed? I'm on 1.1b and was going to flash 1.2b, but saw this

This is for the VZW Galaxy Nexus. I believe there is a different build for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus (which is also CDMA).

As of right now, no fix should be needed for 1.3. 1.2 only had a (simple) fix because the default DPI was set incorrectly.

AlpineM3

Sep 22, 2010
Btw- we download the latest hybrid gapps I take it, correct?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ParanoidAndroid for AOSP 4.2.2

n4-product-herokau56.png

untitled-11cbkj.png

Work in Progress
    • Please make sure you have backups for anything you don't want to lose.
    • Google apps are not official, this is a community hack, we have tested all apps but you could still encounter issues.
    • This is still a work in progress. we are working hard to tame 4.2.2, which brought significant changes and bugs.
    • Do not ask about CyanogenMod features. We will continue to add more features in version 3.x, when we have a 100% stable base.

Installation
    • Update your recovery to the latest version. Pre 4.2 recoveries can mess up your sd card/storage. We recommend TWRP.
    • Download pa google apps: http://d-h.st/Do8 Updated 15-JUL-2013
    • Download rom: http://d-h.st/AnC Updated 18-JUL-2013
    • Follow PA on Google+ for changes and other info
    • Perform a factory reset in recovery, unless you are already on PA 2.99+
    • Flash ROM first, then gapps
    • Wipe dalvik & cache
    • Reboot and wait, first bootup can take up to 5 minutes, it will also restart once
    • Enter your Google account info, press home when you encounter the black screen
    • After the quirky bootup is over, the rom should work normally
    • Do not restore system apps, system data and Google apps. This can cause bootloops and other problems due to mismatches from CM to AOSP and Android version 4.1.2 to 4.2

• Previous jellybean versions: toro

Features
    • Hybrid engine ported, Per App DPI and Per App Layout
    • Tablet UI back from the dead
    • Per app color
    • Quicksettings -> Quicktoggles (first draft, more to follow)
    • New recents implementation
    • We fixed the aosp lag in the recents view, well, most of it
    • New SystemUI Icons that can cope with transparent bars, thanks go to John Xionidis
    • See through Lockscreen is back
    • Transparent bars + Launcher2 modified to cope with it
    • 4.2 Walls and Sounds
    • Google stock apps
    • Extended Desktop

untitled-19kkgo.png

PER-APP-DPI/LAYOUT
    This is not tablet mode! Hybrid engine allows you to target apps individually. You get to pick their actual layouts which can tranform content drastically. Keep in mind, this has nothing to do with build.prop hacks or DPI changes. We list all layouts an app brings, you choose one, its as easy as that. It does not matter if your device runs itself in Phone-, Phablet or Tablet-UI, your apps will always look as you like. On top of that you can scale apps, to fit your screen, that way you can even bring full fledged tablet apps and make them run perfectly. Nothing will break, nothing will shrink, your market will be fine. Additionally we have rewritten many parts of the android framework and fixed countless of AOSP bugs to make way for these modifications - our "tablet mode" runs better on a phone than on a real tablet, that is guaranteed.

untitled-1jij2c.png

PER-APP-COLOR
    ParanoidAndroid's newest invention. Define apps in your regular hybrid panel. See your phone fade into the color definition of your current app, press home or go elsewhere and it fades back. Create as many combinations you like, you can even dabble with opacity. This feature is made possible by our hybrid engine, which is unique to this rom.

Hints
    Thread Perspective

Seems like we go through cycles of conflict on the purpose of the thread on a regular basis, so thought I would add my .000000000000002 cents.

From a developer's viewpoint (having delivered ROM's, kernels, themes for about 5 years on XDA), here is my perspective:

Background:
    One of the reasons that I don't spend more time in these threads is that the signal to noise ratio is highly skewed on the noise side. In addition to life, family, and work requirements, I am currently working with five different devices, updating our build/development environment and tools, and supporting the integration of non-nexus devices into AOSPA (and that's just on the android front). When I consider the number of posts I often have to go through to find even a single one that provides enough information to help me take any meaningful action, it gets hard to justify wading through the chaff. It really can be the case that less is more when it comes to providing value to the developers and the community.

What I would like to see:
    • Civility - using a tone and level of respect that would be appropriate for a face to face conversation with a close friend or relative. Err on the side of kindness and courtesy, due to the fact that tone and intent are much more difficult to discern in writing.
    • Clarity - describing a problem, bug, or issue in a way that allows it to be easily repeated, which means documenting the exact versions of sw/hw being used; a repeatable method for generating the issue; and a link (not a post) of the logcat/dmesg covering the time just before, during, and just after the situation. Sometimes it is also useful to have the logcat/dmesg from a fresh boot through initialization. Saying something doesn't work or asking does it do this or that does not typically allow any effective action to be taken.
    • Community - within the thread, I am encouraged when I see people supporting, collaborating, cooperating, educating, and sharing with each other. There are many examples of this behavior, but unfortunately it sometimes gets drowned out by the high noise level.
    • Support Channels - I also think there is plenty of room for additional support/faq/knowledge threads to carry the everyday support discussion for newcomers and capture common issues, tips, tricks, and general support that really doesn't belong in a "development" thread. I have seen this work very well over the years and my thanks/gratitude to those who chose to organize and capture what they have learned and make it available to others. However, in the limited time available, I don't have the capacity to take this on atm.
    What I DON'T like to see:
    • Random Positivity - there is not a lot of benefit to anyone from the high number of posts that are: yay, thanks!, woot, yowza, or (insert favorite variant here). If you want to show appreciation, use the thanks button. That's what it's there for.
    • Random Negativity - don't like this ...; that sucks...; should have ...; the other thing is better ... or many other variations. People generally don't come to development threads to hear people complain.
    • Feature Requests - everyone has features they like, don't like, find indispensible, annoying, etc. Asking for new features, if/when new features will be available, arguing their merits, doesn't add to the discourse. Your developer community is very well aware of what features are available in other ROMs/devices, and if/when a determination is may to add a particular feature, it will very likely be by choice and not by demand.
    • ETA requests - this is just a waste of space. You are not going to get a response (at least not from me), so just don't do it.
    • Bickering - this is just a complete waste of time and is incredibly invasive/destructive to the spirit of community (See Civility above). Overactive egos, hormones, etc. really detract from developing an open clearing for communication.
    • Rants / Diatribes / Preaching - Like this one. But, since it's my thread, I will cut myself some slack just this once. ;)
    Finally, I understand that the nature of the vehicle that is XDA allows everyone the freedom to impose their perspective on the community at large. The only real power we have is the power to leave the community and seek another.
    Update: PA-3.56 HALO7

Latest updated build of PA 3.56 (HALO7) is available on goo, and the link has been posted to the OP.
    Link to updated gapps (22-May-2013) version also posted.

FYI, I will be on holiday for the next week, and expect to be somewhat network challenged, so probably no additional updates here until I return late next week. Of course this means that you can expect new features like powering your phone from cosmic background radiation to be released during that time.
    Just like to provide some commentary to those unfortunate few who don't feel they are getting the care and attention that they are entitled to and that they so richly deserve.

FWIW, I have a full-time job (sometimes more than full-time), a family, and a personal life,

In my spare time I currently work on builds/firmware/development environments for five different android devices, three set-top boxes, two routers, and two pbx boxes. With very few exceptions (and I greatly appreciate those), my interactions with this community are one-way. I do this work as a hobby, primarily for my own benefit and learning. I offer what I produce freely to the community in the spirit of open-source and sharing. I have been doing so for over five years on XDA for a variety of devices. I have been clear since the beginning that I make no promises other than to share my work, done on my schedule, in the time that I can find among other activities. I prefer to spend the little time I have moving these projects forward instead of answering questions that have been asked and answered dozens of time. My hope has been and remains that the support and communication will be provided by members of the community helping each other. General updates and change information have been and remain available via the PA google+ and github sites.

There is no transaction here, no obligation, no promise, no commitment beyond good will and community sharing. If you are not happy with the offer or the level of "personal" attention you receive from me, please feel free to go elsewhere.

If you had any background or understanding of the personal situations that have had me out of pocket for the last couple weeks, you may have had a different perspective, but maybe even that would not have impacted your sense of entitlement. In any event, it is my personal business and will remain that way.

I also found it interesting that people "know" that I have been "frequenting xda threads", even though my last post before yesterday was on 09-FEB when I last posted updates.

In summary, it is your behaviour (the unfortunate few) that leads me to consider whether I wish to continue to participate here.

For the vast majority of those here who continue to demonstrate a sense of community, and work with great patience to help other members, I apologize for the rant. It is not intended for you.
    [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [pa-toro-1.97-06AUG2012-181927]

paranoid_changelogjmkth.png

• pa_toro-1.97-06AUG2012-181927.zip
    • New option: "large" to trick an app thinking the device has a real big screen. some need it, like amazon kindle to jump into tabUI. some even react on it, gdrive will slightly adapt its layout - makes only sense if you give it a small dpi though.
    • The algorithm to extract the actual layout containers from apk files works more precise and can reveal more than before. there will still be a few apps left who do that layout stuff in java - we will add an override button for that, but in the meantime you can edit /system/etc/paranoid/properties.conf .layout=360 for phone-like UI, 600 for phablet, 720 = tablet, 1280 = super huge tablet
    • Several bugfixes from us and cm
    • pa-toro-1.4a-18JUN2012-160452
    • New Hybrid code, keyboard troubles should be gone, apps that crop images or display weird, that should be gone aswell
    • PAD/PAL work in phonemode 100%, no weird toggles and stuff like that. you get full tablet apps without caveats
    • Settings cleanup, most of the garbage dpi options are gone, should be more intuitive - i ask you to not bring your old pad.props though some things changed. if you know what you do take a look and edit by hand
    • Trashed our LatinIME repo - not needed anymore
    • pa-toro-1.3a-15JUN2012-190611
    • Navigationbuttons in phone mode are fixed
    • Default CM tuna kernel
    • Settings panel had a bug, you couldnt set android.dpi, decriptions sucked, too
    • Speed improvements, all launchers are buttersmooth now
    • Force option for widget scaling works again