The *toad roms

Search This thread

hardy81

Jul 11, 2011
I have all kinds of Android devices and I use Cyanogenmod on all of them. I like to have the same exact system on each; saves me time, to have to learn only one. Plus I very much like CM.

But on this device, for some reason, most of the development effort seems to go to the *toad releases. Could someone elaborate why? Secondly, why use a *toad instead of the "real" Cyanogenmod?

REV3NT3CH

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
I have all kinds of Android devices and I use Cyanogenmod on all of them. I like to have the same exact system on each; saves me time, to have to learn only one. Plus I very much like CM.

But on this device, for some reason, most of the development effort seems to go to the *toad releases. Could someone elaborate why? Secondly, why use a *toad instead of the "real" Cyanogenmod?

Because the official releases are posted in the CyanogenMod website under downloads>official devices...the device maintainer for cm on apexqtmo was also banned from xda

Sent from my R3L4Y 4G using xda-developers app

Magamo

Oct 20, 2012
New York, NY
Ummm, What? The official device maintainer for CM is @Nardholio who is definitely still here.

The HypnoToad images started as TeamApexQ's test bed, as time went on, there were tweaks that were made that were not accepted by CM for one reason or another, but we liked them. They became part of our internal builds, which as that stabilized and diverged more from CyanogenMod, we made available as FatToad. OmniToad is based on Omnirom, not CyanogenMod. The majority of TeamApexQ likes the Omni base better, so that has become our development platform.

One of the tweaks that are part of FatToad have bitrotted a bit, and the developer of that tweak has moved on to OmniToad, and has no intention of going back and maintaining said tweak, so FatToad likely will not be seeing any more releases.

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.

Reactions: orange808
N

Nardholio

Ummm, What? The official device maintainer for CM is @Nardholio who is definitely still here.

The HypnoToad images started as TeamApexQ's test bed, as time went on, there were tweaks that were made that were not accepted by CM for one reason or another, but we liked them. They became part of our internal builds, which as that stabilized and diverged more from CyanogenMod, we made available as FatToad. OmniToad is based on Omnirom, not CyanogenMod. The majority of TeamApexQ likes the Omni base better, so that has become our development platform.

One of the tweaks that are part of FatToad have bitrotted a bit, and the developer of that tweak has moved on to OmniToad, and has no intention of going back and maintaining said tweak, so FatToad likely will not be seeing any more releases.

Fear not though, the work on HypnoToad DOES still benefit the official CyanogenMod builds, as fixes are freely ported from one to the other.

XDA refuses to ban me :(

hardy81

Jul 11, 2011

This is good to hear. Programmers of free software tend to jump ship pretty quickly and get bored with anything that is not new & cool. But Cyanogenmod should be seen as cool, since it's just awesome to have the same system on so many devices.

Thanks for the clarifications.

REV3NT3CH

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
This is good to hear. Programmers of free software tend to jump ship pretty quickly and get bored with anything that is not new & cool. But Cyanogenmod should be seen as cool, since it's just awesome to have the same system on so many devices.

Thanks for the clarifications.

As a very agreeable argument...the same could go for other great ROMs too and not just CyanogenMod..just takes developers to bring em to the device including CM...to each his own and that's why there is a variety to choose from

Sent from my R3L4Y 4G using xda-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    N
    Nardholio

XDA refuses to ban me :(