[Q] Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?

Search This thread

doronster195

Dec 9, 2010
Is there Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?

I have all the apps i could possibly need installed on my phone, yet even after paired with my transformer via BT, and the transformer showing it being connected to the internet. I get 0 data going from my phone to transformer.

I've tried PDAnet 3.0, Barnacle and WIFI Tether. No dice.

And you can rule out not knowing how to do it, I've been tethering for the past year only started being an issue after the crackdown.

doronster195

Dec 9, 2010
Not sure what you mean by 3g Hack... but i found something that works. Freezing data manager service with Titanium made everything work again. How exciting! Though, i think data transfer is super slow...

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I tether just fine on my mytouch 4g running cyanogen mod 7. I dont think carriers notice if you tether another android device because on their end it just looks like an android device accessing it, not a laptop or such. I think they check user agent strings. I've honestly never had a problem tethering on TMO and never got any text or anything about it being blocked. I do keep an eye on my data usage just to make sure I dont raise any red flags in their system. I havent tried tethering my laptop since the crackdown but I did install a plug in for firefox that allows you to change the user agent string so the servers think it's an android device accessing the network :)

cardman827

May 6, 2011
New Jersey
Hey Guys, been following this thread since I ordered from Best Buy, finally decided to join and post. I have mine coming on the 12th hopefully.

I read about the crackdown on tethering but from what I understand they are just making the tethering apps not show up in the market, they are not necessarily doing anything to prevent tethering.

I am currently using wireless tethering on my droid 2 with the Ipad 1 and have been for quite some time without a problem. Hope that helps and love this forum, thanks guys...

deymayor

Feb 5, 2008
Tethering with my iPhone via bluetooth. So far, no warrant of arrest yet from AT&T.

kingwp1

Jan 12, 2011
Austin
Is there Any way to tether TF with Android Phone after Carriers' Crackdown on Tethering?

I have all the apps i could possibly need installed on my phone, yet even after paired with my transformer via BT, and the transformer showing it being connected to the internet. I get 0 data going from my phone to transformer.

I've tried PDAnet 3.0, Barnacle and WIFI Tether. No dice.

And you can rule out not knowing how to do it, I've been tethering for the past year only started being an issue after the crackdown.

One thing to note is that Honeycomb doesn't recognize Ad-Hoc networks. You may be having problems if you're trying to set up your phone as a wi-fi hotspot. Trying using the bluetooth tethering options.

mesebar2

Oct 18, 2010
Hi, i've just found out how to connect my phone (xperia x10) to my just arrived transformer.
I've been looking all through the forum to find out how to share my phone's connection but i didn't find any solution so, i hope, my reply will help at least you not to waste time any further :D
Simply install "PdaNet Tablet" both on your tablet and your phone (yes, PdaNet TABLET also on your phone).
This is how it worked for me:
1) Start "pdanet tablet" on your transformer and set the proxy hostname and port as stated in the program (127.0.0.1 and 1234)
2) Start "pdanet for tablet" on your phone and click "enable pda server"
3) Wait a few seconds :p
4) Allow your phone to open bluetooth and be visible
5) On your tablet, on the "pdanet tablet" screen click "tap to discover new phones"
6) On your tablet click on your phone's name
7) DONE!

I hope this helped :)

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
Hi, i've just found out how to connect my phone (xperia x10) to my just arrived transformer.
I've been looking all through the forum to find out how to share my phone's connection but i didn't find any solution so, i hope, my reply will help at least you not to waste time any further :D
Simply install "PdaNet Tablet" both on your tablet and your phone (yes, PdaNet TABLET also on your phone).
This is how it worked for me:
1) Start "pdanet tablet" on your transformer and set the proxy hostname and port as stated in the program (127.0.0.1 and 1234)
2) Start "pdanet for tablet" on your phone and click "enable pda server"
3) Wait a few seconds :p
4) Allow your phone to open bluetooth and be visible
5) On your tablet, on the "pdanet tablet" screen click "tap to discover new phones"
6) On your tablet click on your phone's name
7) DONE!

I hope this helped :)

Then the connection will drop after browsing 2-3 web pages.
At least that's my experience with the PDANet Tablet.
Email client and GMail client do not seem to work either.
I hope they will fix it and make it stable, its a good solution for people with stock ROM (both phone and tablet).